Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-06-2013, 07:14 AM   #31
TheAdmiral
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shesaid View Post

I still don't have winter gloves, but I have glove liners that block the wind, so far I've been doing ok.

Normally, I don't take a lot of time reading the posts (skim through), but you always write some funny stuff, so I end up reading it all. It's worth it, you two are a hoot to read about!

I always loved those Jumpin Jack Tent Trailers, but they were out of our price range at the time. Now we have a pickup camper, go figure. I think you can even put an ATV or Motorcycle on top when folded down, right?

Since I ride my TW in the cooler temperature's, I added some ATV type warmer mitts and a small "Spitfire" windscreen. Both really help when the sun ain't up in the sky as long. Just a couple idea's.

Admiral's Voyages http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=788178
TheAdmiral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 12:12 PM   #32
Shesaid OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAdmiral View Post
Normally, I don't take a lot of time reading the posts (skim through), but you always write some funny stuff, so I end up reading it all. It's worth it, you two are a hoot to read about!

I always loved those Jumpin Jack Tent Trailers, but they were out of our price range at the time. Now we have a pickup camper, go figure. I think you can even put an ATV or Motorcycle on top when folded down, right?

I'm glad you enjoy the banter. I'll make a point not to skip too much of my story then-- I kinda feel like my long winded story style bores most folk.

Yeah, when the Jumping Jack is all folded up into travel mode you can put a couple of bikes or a quad or two on top and use it like a utility trailer. I do not enjoy the challenge of getting the bikes up a ramp of any height, however, so I keep coming up with ways to talk Hesaid out of putting the bikes up there. The top of the JJ is about as high as a lifted truck-- I'd rather just ride the bikes to our destination, skip the fancy Jumping Jack tent and sleep on the ground in one of the back packing tents.
Shesaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 07:14 PM   #33
Hesaid
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 973
As for the Jumping Jack, mostly I'm with Shesaid, I don't have much interest in putting the bikes up there, as I'd rather ride the bikes. But...

We can't seem to come up with any good way to transport the canoe on the bikes. And there are some places that I'd like to paddle AND ride. Places that are rather far from home. And we have this thing that we do, called work, that really restricts the amount of time we get to spend riding, paddling, camping, and well, you get the point. So even though I had never really planned on putting the bikes up there, I have found myself thinking about it a time or two. Canoe on top of the Xterra, Jumping Jack behind the Xterra, bikes on top of the Jumping Jack... Bear Lake Raspberry Festival here we come! So we'll see. I'm sure with the right ramp it wouldn't be bad.

MV
Old 11-12-2013, 03:58 PM   #34
TwilightZone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,724
Enjoy your writing... I have a 60 year old wife who is now riding again. She rode in our younger days (much, much younger) .
She doesn't like downhills either... but she goes like hell given an uphill dirt road.
An XT-225 is a great bike for her. You might consider one eventually,
much better on the street (and probably in the dirt) than the big-wheel.

Otherwise... enjoy !

>"I loved it as I also prefer driving at night. "

Danger. Beware of deer... they will get-ya.
Old 11-13-2013, 01:42 AM   #35
garfey
Scruffy Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,005
Quote:
... --- I kinda feel like my long winded story style bores most folk. ...
Nope, not boring at all. For some of us ol' pharts, words paint better pictures than pictures do.
Old 11-13-2013, 12:30 PM   #36
Shesaid OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwilightZone View Post
Enjoy your writing... I have a 60 year old wife who is now riding again. She rode in our younger days (much, much younger) .
She doesn't like downhills either... but she goes like hell given an uphill dirt road.
An XT-225 is a great bike for her. You might consider one eventually,
much better on the street (and probably in the dirt) than the big-wheel.

Otherwise... enjoy !

I'm convinced that if I had gotten more involved in the bike planning/purchasing process, and/or, knowing what I know now-- an XT250 would have been my first bike. As it was, we made a significant step back to the TW for it's surrealistic slowness, which made getting used to getting started and going off road a more appealing learning curve for me. I still have my DR650 and will grow into that as experience and confidence dictate-- getting great at riding it ON-road...but the thought of taking it on some of those forest roads is still a big HELL NO!
Old 11-13-2013, 12:35 PM   #37
Shesaid OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by garfey View Post
Nope, not boring at all. For some of us ol' pharts, words paint better pictures than pictures do.
Thanks!

I gravitate toward the ride reports that are more story than photos, myself. I prefer photos to be used as illustrations to the text, not the other way 'round. But it seems young folks these days never developed the attention span for that... or maybe they never learned to read.

It's good to hear that people are enjoying our tales.

(I don't want to get anyone too excited...but there's a tentative plan to do our first OVERNIGHT ride next weekend!)
Old 11-13-2013, 12:54 PM   #38
Hesaid
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwilightZone View Post

Deer aren't a big problem around home. Up in the hills yes, but here in the valley there are no deer. Raccoon, opossum, skunk, those would be about the biggest we'd have to worry about. Up in the hills though... Deer, pigs, last weekend we found a huge (by our standards) flock of wild turkeys, and those could really be problematic, what with the flying and all.

MV
Old 11-13-2013, 09:54 PM   #39
OBIWAN
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 137
Cold Weather Riding

Quote:
The next weekend we headed back up the same way. This time I was prepared for the colder temps at the higher elevations. I have my liner zipped into my Olympia Airglide pants and one of the liners (there are two) in the jacket.

I still don't have winter gloves, but I have glove liners that block the wind, so far I've been doing ok

============================

I find Olympia Mid Season glove to work for me fall thru winter. Very soft and warm. My hand measures an 8 1/2 which is sometimes consider a medium but with Olympia I always get a small.
http://www.aerostich.com/mid-season-cowhide.html
If it's too cold for that glove then it's too cold for me in general and I wont be on a bike.

And for bikes that are electrically challenged I've use a Coleman Emergency blanket. Stuff that thing up under your jacket and you're good to go and for $2.00 you can't beat the price either. If it's too big just cut it to fit.
http://www.coleman.com/product/emergency-blanket/2000007843

I enjoy your reports.
nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither
victory nor defeat. ------Theodore Roosevelt.
OBIWAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 06:33 AM   #40
TheAdmiral
Studly Adventurer

If one likes to keep riding in winter

Old 11-14-2013, 07:31 AM   #41
Hesaid
Studly Adventurer

Admiral, is all that white stuff like snow? Why would you have that all over the place? You should have left it in the mountains where it belongs. The big mountains that is. Around here we have two sets of mountains, big ones to the east for summertime riding, and small ones to the west for wintertime riding. They meet south of us, where riding seasons cluster around spring and fall. But snow here where we live? That's about as likely as deer...

MV
Old 11-14-2013, 09:31 AM   #42
TheAdmiral
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesaid View Post
Admiral, is all that white stuff like snow? But snow here where we live? That's about as likely as deer...

MV
I'd much rather ride where you live in the winter!

Old 11-21-2013, 07:42 PM   #43
Hesaid
Studly Adventurer

Ok, plans are firming up for our weekend trip. Well, a room is booked. So we're going now, one way or another. Dogsitters are arranged, bikes are in good shape, despite needing to be washed. We can do that part sometime after we return.

The route there should look like this:

There

And the return like this:

Back Again

There are some long stretches that will tax the Wombat's fuel capacity, but we should end up just shy of reserve. And in addition to reserve, we each carry a little extra fuel as well. Hopefully we'll be warm enough, but so far we've never really been to the lower limits on out "winter" riding gear. Mornings on this trip might change that. The mileage each day isn't unusual for us, but this will be the first time that we do back to back days. Might be sore come Monday.

I think we'll have a good time. Even if we do stay on one tectonic plate the entire time...

MV
Old 11-24-2013, 06:29 PM   #44
Hesaid
Studly Adventurer

...And... We're back. I'm sure Shesaid will have a complete write-up soon. But for right now, wings, beer, and bed.

MV
Old 11-25-2013, 09:25 PM   #45
Hesaid
Studly Adventurer

As I believe I mentioned we're back. And rested now. Pictures are uploaded. GPS tracks are, well, I don't quite know where they are. Garmin's Basecamp and I don't see eye to eye on a number of things, so while I have them, they're not where I want them. Or how I want them. But I'm not going to spend a lot of time arguing with that. I have (marginally) better things to do with my time. One of the things I'll take some time to do is post up a bit about our trip. Shesaid will be along later with the good write-up, but I'll throw something out there.

This was our first overnight trip. We've gone on several day trips, even some of longer mileage than either leg of this trip, but what we hadn't done, was two days of riding back-to-back. We didn't know if we'd be as fresh and eager to ride on the second day, or if we'd be tired, sore, and grumpy. A good portion of this trip was also on roads that we'd never been on. Some that we'd never been on with the bikes, and some that we'd just plain never travelled. That being the case, we had no idea how long our travels would take, so we wanted to get an early start on Sat. The plan was kickstands up at 8am. Which we actually accomplished. We left the house, maybe 7.30ish, and then did our standard around the neighborhood loops, just to warm up and make sure everything was working well. Then we went to the gas station, topped off the tanks and at 7.59.30, we pulled out onto the road.

Now, when we left, my weather station at home said 43 and 80% humidity, so cold and damp. Clouds were keeping the sun at bay. It was cold, and we were unsure of how our gear and choices would do. I knew that our cross valley trek was going to be the worst part to deal with, early, cold, sunless, high(ish) speeds, but aside from the getting the worst of it over with soonest, I thought it would be better to know right away if things were not going to work, rather than several hours down the road, a hundred miles from home, or dozens of miles from anywhere, for that matter. We went. We got cold. We stopped and made some changes, and then we went on. About an hour in, the sun managed to break free of the clouds, which improved things considerably. Two hours in, and we were stopped for gas in Coalinga, and feeling much better. From there, the golden hills beckoned.

I guess I should mention what our plan was. Some coworkers of mine were going to be at the Hollister Hills SVRA for the weekend, riding dirtbikes. We figured that Hollister was just about the right distance away for us to go on an overnight trip, and through some ideal motorcycling country, we'd make plans to ride up, visit them briefly, then head into town to a motel. The next day we'd set out on a different route to go back home. The biggest challenge was working around the Wombat's short range.

So from Coalinga we took this road:

Until we met CA 25 here:

From there, we went up the 25 to Tres Pinos, got gas, and backtracked a bit to Cienega Rd to go to the Hollister riding grounds. No sooner did we enter the park than a friend of mine, who is related to my coworker, spotted us and told us where they were camped. We found their camp and stopped to wait for them to return from the trails. They did and we visited for a while, then they left to ride trails and we headed into town.

I'm working on how to make maps interactive, and host GPX files for interested parties to download, but for now, here's a screenshot of our route:

That's the beginnings of our trip. More to come, but I'm tired and hungry now, so it'll have to wait. And I'm sure that this has been enough that Shesaid will have to make some corrections, I wouldn't want to get to far ahead.

MV

Hesaid screwed with this post 11-26-2013 at 07:47 PM
Hesaid is offline   Reply With Quote