Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-22-2013, 06:40 AM   #19096
RodT
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 322
Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanCO View Post
Fix - getting ready to order a Rick Mayer seat (had one one the Multi).
+1 on the Rick Mayer seat, I've had mine for 2 summers now and it works great.
Old 11-22-2013, 07:47 AM   #19097
MotoTex
Miles of Smiles

Oddometer: 1,438
SeatConcepts has a couple of kits for the Tiger in the works. A Standard height and a Tall will soon be available. Found this info in the Baja Tiger build thread and confirmed with an email to the company.

Read the reviews on SeatConcepts in the Vendors section. I have two of their seats and think they are the best value out there. I replaced a Corbin with their kit on one bike and was much happier.

Their kits include foam and cover and usually are well under $200. ADVers get free shipping and return customers get 20% discount. Schweet.

This is The Internet. Confirm for yourself anything you may see while visiting this strange and uncertain land.

MotoTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 10:48 PM   #19098
BryanCO
CO Rider

Oddometer: 334
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoTex View Post
SeatConcepts has a couple of kits for the Tiger in the works. A Standard height and a Tall will soon be available. Found this info in the Baja Tiger build thread and confirmed with an email to the company.

Read the reviews on SeatConcepts in the Vendors section. I have two of their seats and think they are the best value out there. I replaced a Corbin with their kit on one bike and was much happier.

Their kits include foam and cover and usually are well under $200. ADVers get free shipping and return customers get 20% discount. Schweet.
Looks like a good choice. But with the Tiger having a front and rear seat, the installed cost ($20 for the install is a great deal) should be about $235 (just covering the rear to match the front and using the GS1200 pricing - no Tiger 800 prices listed). A Rick Mayer seat is $85 more - certainly seems like a relatively small amount more for 'custom' seat.
BryanCO is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 08:27 AM   #19099
MotoTex
Miles of Smiles

Oddometer: 1,438
Most aftermarket seat folks do a fine job. I just try to find the shape and price that look best to me.

I'm particularly interested in seeing SC's Tall seat, as it will ease the flex on my knees. (both have Titanium bling) If front and rear kits aren't a set I'd probably get only the front.

We'll see how the prices at SC look on the Tiger soon.

Having them do the install isn't necessary. Any auto upholstery shop can do it, and I've done all my own with a hand staple gun and a pair of pliers to seat each staple fully. In addition to the install cost there is shipping costs to get the pan there. That ads up quick.

This is The Internet. Confirm for yourself anything you may see while visiting this strange and uncertain land.

MotoTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 07:37 AM   #19100
Yankee Dog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,758
Quote:
Originally Posted by RodT View Post
+1 on the Rick Mayer seat, I've had mine for 2 summers now and it works great.
+2 on the Mayers. I wouldn't consider anything else. Ok, maybe a Russel, but the Mayer is cheaper
Yankee Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 10:56 AM   #19101
elan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randyincolo View Post
Installed a set of Bark Busters on my 2013 XC and now the left handlebar has a buzz to it, enough to tingle the hand and make the mirror blurry.
Any suggestions on how to get rid of the buzz?
Any luck getting rid of vibration after handguard install? I installed some and my mirrors are pretty bad at 80mph now. Not too big a deal in the daytime, but can't tell what's behind/near me at night on the freeway.
elan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 01:47 PM   #19102
KildareMan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 580
Funny. Mine improved on fitting barkbusters. Doubletake mirrors work better that oem

Sent from my Tiger 800
KildareMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 10:29 PM   #19103
SPX
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 147
Is anyone using Ride-On tire sealant, or Slime? Any feedback on using it?

I am not thrilled at the thought of having a flat tire on the tubed 800XC, so anything that I can do to help prevent one, I'm interested in!
SPX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 05:55 AM   #19104
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 8,981
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPX View Post
Is anyone using Ride-On tire sealant, or Slime? Any feedback on using it?

I am not thrilled at the thought of having a flat tire on the tubed 800XC, so anything that I can do to help prevent one, I'm interested in!
I'm fairly certain that Ride-On is intended for tubeless tires. If they make a product for tubes, it may prove a good option.

Slime works well for small punctures like thorns through bicycle tubes. You usually get those because bicycle tires are thin relative to motorcycle tires. When a motorcycle tube suffers a puncture, it's not quite as easy for Slime to seal it.
Old 11-26-2013, 07:33 AM   #19105
SPX
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yossarian™ View Post
I'm fairly certain that Ride-On is intended for tubeless tires. If they make a product for tubes, it may prove a good option.

Slime works well for small punctures like thorns through bicycle tubes. You usually get those because bicycle tires are thin relative to motorcycle tires. When a motorcycle tube suffers a puncture, it's not quite as easy for Slime to seal it.
It works for tubes as well.

Ride-On TPS will eliminate 85-95% of your flats in tubeless tires from objects up to 1/4" (1/8” for tube tires) that penetrate the contact area of your tire. Ride-On’s efficiency in tube tires is reduced to 55-65% since puncturing objects often tear the tube. It is impossible for a tire sealant to seal a tear. It is vital to remove the puncturing object immediately from a tire containing a tube to prevent further damage that can result in tearing the tube.

More in depth info here. http://www.ride-on.com/images/storie..._Cut_Sheet.pdf
SPX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 07:45 AM   #19106
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,153
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPX View Post
Well, it won't prevent a puncture but it will make it easier to repair. Buy a Roadie rear wheel from a breakers and go tubeless. Slots straight in.
Bike history [(N) = bought new] :- YAS1, RD350B(N), XS750(N), XT500, XJ650(N), XJ900S(N), CBX750, XL185S, XR250RF, XR600, KTM600LC4, TDR250, R100GS, TS200R, Tiger955i(N), Scrambler900efi, Tiger800XC(N)...
blacktiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 08:14 AM   #19107
Yankee Dog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,758
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktiger View Post
Well, it won't prevent a puncture but it will make it easier to repair. Buy a Roadie rear wheel from a breakers and go tubeless. Slots straight in.

Great idea. Especially since the back is the one that is a bitch to repair. The front is really not all that bad.
Yankee Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 08:23 AM   #19108
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,153
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankee Dog View Post
Great idea. Especially since the back is the one that is a bitch to repair. The front is really not all that bad.
Exactly.
And, in 40 years of riding I can only remember getting two punctures in the front.
Bike history [(N) = bought new] :- YAS1, RD350B(N), XS750(N), XT500, XJ650(N), XJ900S(N), CBX750, XL185S, XR250RF, XR600, KTM600LC4, TDR250, R100GS, TS200R, Tiger955i(N), Scrambler900efi, Tiger800XC(N)...
blacktiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 11:01 AM   #19109
Dirtmonkey8
VA is for Riders

Oddometer: 652
Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
Any luck getting rid of vibration after handguard install? I installed some and my mirrors are pretty bad at 80mph now. Not too big a deal in the daytime, but can't tell what's behind/near me at night on the freeway.
I believe that depending on how the various bolts are tightened it can cause the buzziness in the bars. When I first put my Barkbusters on the vibration increased greatly. Soon after I made some changes to bar position loosening the bolts in the ROx risers and the barkbusters and when I tightened everything up the vibration was gone. I think you need to try and keep the bars in a neutral, non-stressed position. Meaning don't do something like push or pull on them while tightening to get them into a position. I also think the amount of torque on each bolt and even the order of tightening them can be involved. I would try to loosen the bolts and then snug them each up slowly. Don't torque one down and move to the next. I bought the Barkbuster Storms in a kit specific to the Tiger 800, but the fit was very poor and ended up having to buy other hardware to clear cables. I recently ordered Explorer bars to try and get more comfortable and relieve thumb pressure and pain. Time to install it all again.
Old 11-27-2013, 12:09 PM   #19110
klinquist
übergeek

Oddometer: 819
OEM rear tire lasted 3900mi :). Not bad.