Old 11-22-2013, 10:55 AM   #121
V@lentino OP
Inspektor

Oddometer: 815
Cool2 Cool croc

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjones View Post
Beautiful post as usual!

Keep riding safe and enjoy Costa Rica. I've bee there surfing last July and there are some beautiful playas down south. If you like to see wild animals in their enviroment, here's a tip: heading south, something like 30 km before Jacó (maybe less), there's a river, Tárcoles. The little village by the river is named after it. Well, passing by the bridge above the river you will see people gathering, looking down... stop, and go with the flow. And you will see them. Big, huge ass crocs!!! Lots of them!! And you can buy some tickets no navigate the river with local guides, who know them very well, giving lots of information. Sounds touristy? Well, I thought so. My wife convinced me. Glad she did!! It's very nice.

Keep posting, please.

Arjones.

P.S.: sorry about the Bourdain joke...

We are actually fans of Bourdain. Funny you mentioning the croc, we just saw one. There is a small estuary close to the beach where we are in Carillo, about 200-300 metres from our B&B and we saw a big croc, at least 3 metres basking on the muddy bank. We were too slow and missed the picture opportunity

The motorcycle chronicles of Jackie & Valentino
The Southern Episode

V@lentino screwed with this post 11-22-2013 at 04:39 PM
V@lentino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 01:58 PM   #122
V@lentino OP
Inspektor

Laugh Less “palabras”

In the last week or so we rode short days from Leon to Grenada, then entered Costa Rica. That border was by far the longest out/in sequence of the trip so far.

A few from Leon

One of the main streets leading to the Cathedral

Looking in

Inside looking out

Same but different

Working hard

Something about this one

All my sisters and me

One more for the bikes and churches thread

Granada coming up...

The Southern Episode
Old 11-22-2013, 02:57 PM   #123
V@lentino OP
Inspektor

Granada

Granada was ok, but a bit disappointing, we enjoyed Leon so much more. Nonetheless meeting up with Moto-Mikey was fun. We have now met seven or eight of the riders that will be sailing with us on the Stahlratte, and I think we are going to have a lousy time during the San Blas to Cartagena crossing.

Granada has the largest Cathedral of Central America, but it was mostly rebuilt in the 1900's due to earthquakes.

Look who's coming for dinner

Yes, yes, I know

A Nice Park

It was the weekend and all was very quiet

Except the market

Anybody knows what this symbol stands for, it was in front of a very large building, no other signs or indications of anything, so type of brotherhood or other with stars, strikes, pyramids and eyes???

A couple of iconic ones

Yours truly...

The Southern Episode

V@lentino screwed with this post 11-22-2013 at 03:47 PM
Old 11-22-2013, 03:30 PM   #124
V@lentino OP
Inspektor

The road to Costa Rica

Hasta luego Nicaragua

We had a longish ride from Granada to Playa Del Coco; 213km . We are saving our energy and mileage for Ruta 40

Jackie is always looking over Valentino's shoulder

The scenery was awsome

Our first Central American wind farm

Anything goes

The border was crowded, for once our timing was off, we got there shortly after a couple of buses.

At least we had some Dutch company

Smile, you've just been Jackie-and-Valentino'ed

A quick bite in front of Aduana

Before we hit the road again. Traffic was a real mess...

See you at the beach...

The Southern Episode

V@lentino screwed with this post 11-22-2013 at 03:42 PM
Old 11-25-2013, 12:48 AM   #125
Fat Man Bass
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdventurePoser View Post
Hi guy,

I was the "companion" for the first month of this ride but decided for several personal reasons to cut it short!

It was a great ride, and I am looking forward to continuing next winter. Summer all year long is a tough concept to beat.

I've got over 500 images from Mexico…I'll start putting them up Advrider soon. MX is a great place to travel in spite of issues you may or may not actually see while down there!

Cheers,
Steve
Hi Steve,

I know how nice these two people are. We made a ride through the Netherlands and Belgium.
Only thing that they were looking for was 'Vlaamse Friet".
And in Belgium every village has a 'Frietkot" where you can get these.

Just kidding....

Hope you will be on your bike soon!

René van Glabbeek
The Netherlands

ST1300 ABS 2006 Pan European Black metallic
ST1300 ABS 2004 Pan American Blue
Fat Man Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 05:40 AM   #126
V@lentino OP
Inspektor

Talking Did you say Vlaamse?!?

How do you drive a Belgium crazy? You put him in a round room and tell them to go find the french fry in the corner...

Een grote met kerriesaus, ui en mayonaise België alstublief

The Southern Episode

V@lentino screwed with this post 03-24-2014 at 11:49 PM
Old 11-25-2013, 02:21 PM   #127
Fat Man Bass
n00b

Oddometer: 9
You learn fast, very faST

René van Glabbeek
The Netherlands

ST1300 ABS 2006 Pan European Black metallic
ST1300 ABS 2004 Pan American Blue
Fat Man Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 01:59 AM   #128
strom thingie
Lost and Proud!

Oddometer: 433
Great ride report. I appreciate the insights, especially with border crossings as I plan on riding to Tierra Del Fuego in a couple of years upon my retirement from the military.

Another poster asked the question about concerns of security for your motorcycle in the various places but I don't think there was any reply. Can you tell me what tips and tricks regarding bike security that you have used while on the trip so far. Thanks!!!
strom thingie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 07:10 AM   #129
V@lentino OP
Inspektor

On bike security

Quote:
Originally Posted by strom thingie View Post
Great ride report. I appreciate the insights, especially with border crossings as I plan on riding to Tierra Del Fuego in a couple of years upon my retirement from the military.

Another poster asked the question about concerns of security for your motorcycle in the various places but I don't think there was any reply. Can you tell me what tips and tricks regarding bike security that you have used while on the trip so far. Thanks!!!
Opinions vary so much on this topic. When we are in cities, we usually find a central location, and either park the bike in front of the hotel/hostel or on several occasions the owner suggested inside the establishment; which is always cool. We then walk or use public transportation to get around. While on the road, we just park in front of the room with the bike backed up for easy access.

I've never subscribed to the put-the-bike-in-the-room paranoia, but that's just me.

Many also like to pack a thin bike cover, for us it is just one more thing to carry.

This said we did get some stuff stolen from our crash bar zip-bags, in Palenque. The bike was parked on the sidewalk of a quiet street right at the entrance of the hostel. The stuff they took was mostly useless, including my "locked" front disk lock and waterproof tank bag cover.

Generally speaking I don't worry too much about it, I just make sure the bike is secure by local standards.

When we rode Europe in 2008, I always left the bike on the streets even for 3-4 days, hardly moving it in cities like Rome, Madrid, Athens... never had anything happen.

Of course YMMV

Thanks for tagging along strom thingie

The Southern Episode

V@lentino screwed with this post 11-26-2013 at 08:02 AM
Old 11-26-2013, 09:05 AM   #130
V@lentino OP
Inspektor

Talking Fom Nica to Tica

I think I mentioned before that we have been very lucky in our travels to visit so really outstanding beaches, from Australia to Florida, Mexico, Thailand, Greece... many caribbean islands, so we were quite underwhelmed when we landed in Playa Tunco, Salvador, and not much impressed by Playa Del Coco in Costa Rica, that is until we arrived at Playa Carrillo; Wow

What a beautiful spot, a gorgeous bay, about 2km long, lined with coconut threes, light-golden sand, warm ocean, clean. Frequented by both local and tourists. it was perfect.

We stayed in a B&B called El Colibri, owned by friendly Argentinians, and the kitchen-equipped Cabanas were clean, air conditioned, and comfortable. I'm not big on making reviews of this sort because in the end it is so much a question of personal choices and budget, but for $50.00 a night double occupancy 200 metres from this most amazing beach, it was still cheaper than a crappy motel 6 or super 8 on the Intersate. We had planned to stay 2-3 nights, we ended up staying 5.

Tried fishing from the rocks, but no luck.

See for yourself.

Of course we had some friendly companions

Back to the beach for a few more

Angela wanted to be in the picture too.

We are in the Arenal Volcan area, in Fortuna going to enjoy a day at the thermal. This adenturing stuff is really taking its toll.

Tomorrow we head for Panama and will cross the border at Sixaola, on the Atlantic side, the crossing appears to be a lot less busy than the one on the Pan American, and will allow us to cross through Panama as we crawl our way to our rendez-vous with the Stahlratte on Dec 5th.

So far; we are yet to see Panama but Costa Rica has been the highlight of Central America, everybody has been really friendly, the rode sides, towns and pueblos are significantly cleaner, and even when ridding on secondary unpaved road, all the houses we saw appear to have electricity and none of them looked shanty the roads, beaches are great, and so is the food.

I'll come back later with the road from the Pacific to Fortuna, it was great...

The Southern Episode
Old 11-27-2013, 08:13 PM   #131
V@lentino OP
Inspektor

Laugh Jackie and the volcanoe

From Nicoya we took back country roads until we got close to Cañas, from there we rode the perfect smooth twisty tarmac through the volcanic region of Arenal, circled the lake until we faced the iconic volcano. The best of both world, hard pack mud and gravel through tropical meadows, easy and fun, perfect for 2 up riding on the big GSA. Then we opened up and hit the twisties through curvy mountainous riding.

This time we were on their turf

We had to make and emergency stop, riding with my visor up with only the helmet shades on, I got hit by a large bug on my cheek, and the bug juice splash my left eye.

Jackie to the rescue, crisis averted and we were soon on our way again

Nice suspension bridge

A few more twisties

Thick bamboo forest

First glimpse of the lake

Closer yet

In full view

It's back there behind the clouds

Just a glimpse

Playing hide and seek

Now we see you

It was a perfect riding day warm but not hot, no border hassles, just pure enjoyment. This is why we do it. It was the best riding we have done since leaving Mexico. Although Guatemala did offer some breathtaking scenery, and we particularly enjoyed Antigua for both its lively scene and perfect weather. Costa Rica was hard to beat on many levels.

Today we rode from Arenal to Changuinola, Panama after an easy border crossing.

Tell you all about it tomorrow.

J&V out...

The Southern Episode

V@lentino screwed with this post 11-27-2013 at 08:26 PM
Old 11-28-2013, 09:49 AM   #132
strom thingie
Lost and Proud!

Oddometer: 433
Quote:
Originally Posted by ac_elite View Post

Opinions vary so much on this topic. When we are in cities, we usually find a central location, and either park the bike in front of the hotel/hostel or on several occasions the owner suggested inside the establishment; which is always cool. We then walk or use public transportation to get around. While on the road, we just park in front of the room with the bike backed up for easy access.

I've never subscribed to the put-the-bike-in-the-room paranoia, but that's just me.

Many also like to pack a thin bike cover, for us it is just one more thing to carry.

This said we did get some stuff stolen from our crash bar zip-bags, in Palenque. The bike was parked on the sidewalk of a quiet street right at the entrance of the hostel. The stuff they took was mostly useless, including my "locked" front disk lock and waterproof tank bag cover.

Generally speaking I don't worry too much about it, I just make sure the bike is secure by local standards.

When we rode Europe in 2008, I always left the bike on the streets even for 3-4 days, hardly moving it in cities like Rome, Madrid, Athens... never had anything happen.

Of course YMMV

Thanks for tagging along strom thingie
Thanks for the reply. I've had my bike all over Europe and no issues, though I tend to stay away from the larger cities here.

Glad to be along for the ride as it fuels my desire to conduct this trip even more!
strom thingie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 10:23 AM   #133
SS in Vzla.
Totally Normal? I'm not!

Oddometer: 1,157
Great RR.
I enjoy your writing style very much.
Keep it coming.

If your plans include Venezuela, drop me a PM and I'll gladly help with border crossing info, route suggestions and other pointers...

There's some other things that would be good for you to know BEFORE coming in country that will make your stay here more enjoyable and a lot cheaper...

Buen viaje!
Old 11-30-2013, 02:51 PM   #134
V@lentino OP
Inspektor

Thumb Venezuela

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS in Vzla. View Post
Great RR.
I enjoy your writing style very much.
Keep it coming.

If your plans include Venezuela, drop me a PM and I'll gladly help with border crossing info, route suggestions and other pointers...

There's some other things that would be good for you to know BEFORE coming in country that will make your stay here more enjoyable and a lot cheaper...

Buen viaje!

Thanks alot for you offer and for riding along SS in Vzla. We are not planning for Venezuela yet, but things can always change.

We made it to Panama city 1 day earlier than plan so we splurged and went to the Hilton.

Crossed the Bridge of the Americas today...Woohoo Panama city, leg one done

The Southern Episode

V@lentino screwed with this post 11-30-2013 at 08:43 PM
Old 11-30-2013, 04:49 PM   #135
advFord
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 435
I think there were cops every 5 miles on the panam today. I would have gotten here a lot faster Nice to meet you both today!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ac_elite View Post
Thanks alot for you offer and for riding along SS in Vzla. We are not planning for Venezuela yet, but things can always change.

We made it to Panama city 1 day earlier than plan so we splurged and went to the Hilton.

Crossed the Bridge of the Americas today...Woohoo Panama city, leg one done
Facebook
Instagram @PlacesBeyond My Spot
advFord is offline   Reply With Quote