Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-26-2013, 04:11 AM   #16
ddavidv
Thrifty not cheap

Oddometer: 1,085
Thumbs down

When we bought my wife's used Jeep, it had been a week from the time I called about it to the time we could go see it (it was about 1.5 hrs away). I am SO glad I had the foresight to print the internet ad before we left. When the paperwork was presented to us, the Jeep was $1100 more than it had been in the ad. When I called them on it, the salesman looked confused (genuinely). He, of course, had to get the sales manager. His explanation was that it was a 'market adjustment' because it was a 'rare vehicle' and that it would cost them more to replace it with another one.

I asked him to explain how a vehicle sitting on a used car lot goes up in value the longer it sits there. Blank stare. Thanked the sales man for his time and made the move to get up. Incredibly, the price on the printed ad was then honored.

I fucking hate car dealerships.

KLR Chronicles, list of my Ride Reports in PA/MD:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...2#post18782262
ddavidv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 04:40 AM   #17
PunkinHead
Moobless Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,563
Anyone financing a bike isn't exactly a Mensa candidate. Some people deserve to get ripped off.
PunkinHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 04:59 AM   #18
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,806
Quote:
Originally Posted by PunkinHead View Post
Anyone financing a bike isn't exactly a Mensa candidate. Some people deserve to get ripped off.
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 05:15 AM   #19
Tripl Nikl
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,597
If you're not willing to walk away, they WILL bone you. Bone you hard, dry and sideways.

It's not a good business model, and becoming worse and worse in the internet age, but it's "how it's done" and a lot of dealers still use it.

If someone isn't willing to do their own research and play hardball, then they should check with their bank, credit union, insurance company, etc., to see if they offer a buyers service. Heck, even Costco offers a buyers service! You won't get the rock bottom lowest price ever, but you will get a fair price.

FWIW, the Lithia Subaru dealer in Spokane, WA, seemed to "get it" and made the sale very easy. I had a price in mind and I emailed them for a OTD quote. The emailed quoted was $1k less than my target price. Wrote back and sealed the deal, went in later to fill out the paperwork. The online sales guy said that his strategy was "lowest price possible, first time, every time" and they made their margins on volume. Apparently the dealer figured online sales weren't going to ignorant chumps and the person contacting them had already "walked away" by never walking in the first place. Overall it was a very positive experience.

And then their was buying my Suzuki DR650. The place I bought my bike from was just okay, but I got 0 down and 0% interests, so I'm not complaining too much. But the Suzuki place in Tacoma and Everett? Eff them! How is making 0 off of no sale better than making something off of an easy sale? Nope, attitude from the sales guy for me being a hassle.

Well, enjoy getting 100% of nothing Suzuki azzwipe salemen.
Tripl Nikl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 05:54 AM   #20
sailah
Lampin' it

Oddometer: 5,353
Trust me, they aren't the only ones trying to rip you off. That's the world today. The faster you learn to get your BS radar working in life, the better off you'll be. Hell, in my area a new discount grocery store moved in and all of a sudden the same grocery store that's been hosing me for years "cares" and is discounting the same products I've always bought.

Does anyone care? no, they care about their bottom line and that's fine. But it's easy to read right through the BS. So now I shop at lots of places. Funny thing is that the gourmet meat store has the best prices, are friendly, take requests and are always smiling. I still buy toilet paper at the old place though

all vehicles I purchase are done over the phone or online. Or here. The price is negotiated, deposit made. I walk in, sign, and drive away. Sorry but the business model has changed and I don't feel like amateur sales hour being flung at me for an hour.

PS I'm in sales (not vehicles), but I take pride in giving my customers a fair deal. they know I'm making money, they know I'm saving them money, everyone walks away from the table happy.

Nessmuk
sailah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 06:00 AM   #21
tattewell
Mad Poser

Oddometer: 756
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailah View Post
Trust me, they aren't the only ones trying to rip you off. That's the world today. The faster you learn to get your BS radar working in life, the better off you'll be. Hell, in my area a new discount grocery store moved in and all of a sudden the same grocery store that's been hosing me for years "cares" and is discounting the same products I've always bought.

Does anyone care? no, they care about their bottom line and that's fine. But it's easy to read right through the BS. So now I shop at lots of places. Funny thing is that the gourmet meat store has the best prices, are friendly, take requests and are always smiling. I still buy toilet paper at the old place though

all vehicles I purchase are done over the phone or online. Or here. The price is negotiated, deposit made. I walk in, sign, and drive away. Sorry but the business model has changed and I don't feel like amateur sales hour being flung at me for an hour.

PS I'm in sales (not vehicles), but I take pride in giving my customers a fair deal. they know I'm making money, they know I'm saving them money, everyone walks away from the table happy.
This!

Everybody want's to get rich off of somebody else and not have to do any work for it... This is the world we live in now, and sadly it will never get better. Our children and their children will have less and less.
tattewell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 09:47 AM   #22
Speedo66
Transient

Oddometer: 6,307
We live in a country where very little product is actually made here anymore, most money is made on a "service". Eventually, it will all catch up that we really produce nothing of value.

Sales tactics are just another "service".

Speedo66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 10:04 AM   #23
DriveShaft
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,256
The service department is generally the supreme master of this crap. If the customer doesn't know any better, you can always screw 'em, and they leave happy, not knowing you just butt raped them. vThey wouldnt even think twice about throwing the manufacturer under the bus. what do they care, it's not their pockets getting dinged if a customer thinks they bought a lemon...not in the short term at least. So long as the customer "gives them a five rating."
DriveShaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 02:39 PM   #24
redog1
KLR650-2009

Oddometer: 1,773
It's ironic...

I read this setting at my desk at the car dealership I work for.
No I'm not in sales and totally get what you all are saying.
Old 11-26-2013, 03:50 PM   #25
No False Enthusiasm
a quiet adventurer

Oddometer: 4,205
USAA offers a buying service for autos and light trucks.

Who has one for motos?

NFE
No False Enthusiasm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 04:06 PM   #26
Barry
Just Beastly

Oddometer: 7,110
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddavidv View Post

i fucking hate car dealerships.
this ^^^^^

While back rang a dealer I'm unfamiliar with about a car. Lot of BS, radar is pinging hard. I ask the idiot about the price of the car I saw online. He says "uh, well, are you trading a vehicle"? I said "possibly". He says "what do you owe on it"? Long pause... I say "that is immaterial to the original question I asked you, what is the price of the car YOU are selling"? He says "No, it actually can affect the price of the car you want to buy"...

Me... "click".

Idiot... I fucking HATE car dealers.

Do not do business with Myrtle West Cycle... Not a reputable vendor by a long shot.

Barry screwed with this post 11-26-2013 at 04:12 PM
Barry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 04:23 PM   #27
machinebuilder
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedo66 View Post
We live in a country where very little product is actually made here anymore,
Not true, watch the first episode of America revealed on pbs, production is at an all time high in this country

I don't like dealing with dealers either, and have walked out of quite a few. I don't think you get screwed if you take the time to educate yourself before you go to one. It still pisses me off to see all the dealer add ons or the huge charge for a "rare" vehicle that you see all the time.
Old 11-26-2013, 04:45 PM   #28
ImaPoser
adventure imposter

Oddometer: 15,554
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddavidv View Post
When we bought my wife's used Jeep, it had been a week from the time I called about it to the time we could go see it (it was about 1.5 hrs away). I am SO glad I had the foresight to print the internet ad before we left. When the paperwork was presented to us, the Jeep was $1100 more than it had been in the ad. When I called them on it, the salesman looked confused (genuinely). He, of course, had to get the sales manager. His explanation was that it was a 'market adjustment' because it was a 'rare vehicle' and that it would cost them more to replace it with another one.

I asked him to explain how a vehicle sitting on a used car lot goes up in value the longer it sits there. Blank stare. Thanked the sales man for his time and made the move to get up. Incredibly, the price on the printed ad was then honored.

I fucking hate car dealerships.
And you felt good about paying the advertised price on a used vehicle. Score another one for a dealer.

I almost like new car shopping. It's the one time I get to be a dick to someone and not make my wife mad at me.

Save 20% when you open your own smugmug account. Just go here...
ImaPoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 05:12 PM   #29
jdiaz

Oddometer: 32,061
ImaPoser may have a used Focus for sale. $22k.
jdiaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 05:38 PM   #30
Bert
Fair / Balanced

Oddometer: 56,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNorthernMonkey View Post
Ill stick with my 13 year old BMW. It cost 1200 2 years ago, and I've done 40,000 miles in it. If it blows up tomorrow, its still been good value.
Unless it blows up a piece at a time, which is what my 2000 BMW 323Ci did. You can spend a lot of money making $900 decisions.
Bert is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: