Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-26-2013, 03:10 PM   #1366
KleinToit
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy View Post
He is from South Africa, they talk funny over there.
missed that. Second language at 11pm plus two glasses of JW black will do that to you...
KleinToit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 05:33 AM   #1367
BigShooter
Head Flunky

Oddometer: 115
this may have been covered; but, ride in the left tire track of the lane you are in whenever possible. it will put you more out in the field of view of drivers on side roads or drives getting ready to pull onto the road.
also, in my sportbike days, i learned to not only look through the turns where you want the bike to go, but also, hold your head so that your line of sight is paralelle to the horizon or road surface, not leaned over with your shoulders.
BigShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 05:41 PM   #1368
Squidbrah
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 132
Kiss the mirror, and reach for the concrete with your elbow.
Squidbrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 07:52 AM   #1369
PFFOG
Richard Alps-aholic

Oddometer: 2,285
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidbrah View Post
Kiss the mirror, and reach for the concrete with your elbow.

nOOb advice??? Maybe AMA sanctioned race nOOb, but hardly new rider advice
PFFOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 08:15 AM   #1370
EltonAvenue
Banned

Oddometer: 544
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray0of0Sun View Post
[IMG][/IMG]
The guy who posted this would seem to be in the 'banned' category, & I didn't read back to find out what got him banned (seems to be an easy thing to do on here!) BUT, what a great sign that just about says it all for n00b riders!
PS, the Cat & Fiddle is a famous pub in the heart of the Peak District in England which is on one of the best ever "speed freak" sections of road in the UK, which also is one of the sections of road that gets the most 'biker fatalities!!
http://www.maccinfo.com/cat/
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-24717857
EltonAvenue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 12:50 PM   #1371
Squidbrah
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by PFFOG View Post
nOOb advice??? Maybe AMA sanctioned race nOOb, but hardly new rider advice
Woops sorry.

Well um.....I guess....

Don't forget to put down your kickstand guys.
Squidbrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 01:26 PM   #1372
PFFOG
Richard Alps-aholic

Oddometer: 2,285
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidbrah View Post
Woops sorry.

Well um.....I guess....

Don't forget to put down and put UP your kickstand guys.

Fixed it for you!
PFFOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 06:19 AM   #1373
IrishCatholic
Adventurer

Oddometer: 72
Become a Student

Decide to be a student - invest your time and money in the classes, books and videos to fundamentally understand what is going on and revisit them often.

One piece of the puzzle is interacting with other vehicles and how your behavior contributes (positively or negatively) to the overall situation. (i.e. Really understand what causes most two vehicle collisions involving a motorcycle and what you can do to reduce your exposure)

Another piece of the puzzle is the physics of your motorcycle. (i.e. Really understand WHY applying a brake or rolling off the throttle mid turn may cause you to crash)

Being a prudent rider is the name of the game, but you can't be very prudent if you don't even understand the environment you're operating in. Incidentally, I believe the motoGP racers exercise prudence throughout a race, so you can surely be fast and prudent - if you appreciate what's going on around you.
Old 12-05-2013, 08:38 AM   #1374
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,111
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishCatholic View Post
Decide to be a student - invest your time and money in the classes, books and videos to fundamentally understand what is going on and revisit them often.

Another piece of the puzzle is the physics of your motorcycle. (i.e. Really understand WHY applying a brake or rolling off the throttle mid turn may cause you to crash)

Being a prudent rider is the name of the game, but you can't be very prudent if you don't even understand the environment you're operating in....
+1 - for every rider, IMHO minimally once every ten years. Better to do it once every five years. Riding theory changes, skills get rusty, new (to the rider) instructors focus on different areas, and different classes focus on different skills.

There is a reason motorcycle cops train under competent teachers as much as they do.
their motorcycles
." --
RyanR
Mambo Dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 04:56 PM   #1375
Sun Ray
Polyglottic Moran

Oddometer: 967
Quote:
Originally Posted by EltonAvenue View Post
The guy who posted this would seem to be in the 'banned' category, & I didn't read back to find out what got him banned (seems to be an easy thing to do on here!) BUT, what a great sign that just about says it all for n00b riders!
PS, the Cat & Fiddle is a famous pub in the heart of the Peak District in England which is on one of the best ever "speed freak" sections of road in the UK, which also is one of the sections of road that gets the most 'biker fatalities!!
http://www.maccinfo.com/cat/
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-24717857

I got banned. I called someone's family member an insult popularized by Monthy Python, something about elderberries and hamsters. Never thought it would be taken seriously. But then again, you never know... It was the right call and I shouldn't have done that.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=936940
Sun Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 10:23 PM   #1376
NSFW
ktm's "the tourist"

Oddometer: 16,157
dirt roads

see this all the time on dirt roads. if they can't pass on you on the straightway, they will on a blind rise or uphill or at a turn. i just slow down and let them take my line before an innocent rider coming from the other direction gets a head on.

pass on the left, stay in your line for at least 20 yards (debatable) and get back on the right lane, otherwise the rider you just passed will get roosted with dust and rocks which put that rider at risk.
NSFW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 08:26 AM   #1377
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,690
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSFW View Post
pass on the left, stay in your line for at least 20 yards (debatable) and get back on the right lane, otherwise the rider you just passed will get roosted with dust and rocks which put that rider at risk.
I thought roosting the passed rider was the whole point of passing.
Old 12-31-2013, 08:37 AM   #1378
dwestly
Refuses to Grow Up!

Oddometer: 439
There is one piece of advice I give to all new and experienced students (and I try to remember it myself...):

"The part of the motorcycle that fails most often is the nut connecting the handlebars to the seat."
dwestly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 05:48 AM   #1379
JohnCW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,042
To hard to read every one of the 93 pages of posts so apologies if some or all already covered.

Most important things to me that I've learned over the year, probably:

* ride with the balls of your feet on the pegs, especially inside peg when cornering.

* practice shifting weigh across seat whenever possible so it'll be instinctive when you come to that fast decreasing radius turn

* get your inside knee out easier and further into a corner by shifting the ball of your foot onto the end of the peg (knee naturally points where toes are pointing).

* practice keeping the bike as upright as possible in corners so you do it without thinking.
JohnCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 07:29 AM   #1380
orangebear
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,210
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnCW View Post
To hard to read every one of the 93 pages of posts so apologies if some or all already covered.

Most important things to me that I've learned over the year, probably:

* ride with the balls of your feet on the pegs, especially inside peg when cornering.

* practice shifting weigh across seat whenever possible so it'll be instinctive when you come to that fast decreasing radius turn

* get your inside knee out easier and further into a corner by shifting the ball of your foot onto the end of the peg (knee naturally points where toes are pointing).

* practice keeping the bike as upright as possible in corners so you do it without thinking.
not sure if thats right.?

as i was told to lean with the bike so if you come in to hot for a corner just lean the bike over more and you will be fine
Klr650c the 1 I should not of wasted my money on
Honda xl125rc powered by a cg125 block fun wee bike
orangebear is offline   Reply With Quote