Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-27-2013, 05:23 AM   #46
conchscooter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,710
The TDC window works as illustrated, but once you get the hang of it kick starting is simple. Press the kick starter until you feel TDC -it will block your foot, that's why there is a decompression lever. Use that to get slightly past the blocked point of TDC and return the kick starter to the top and press down with the decompression released of course.

The TDC window is a useful training tool but soon enough it gets dirty and staring down at your kneecap prior to starting gets to be a pain.

As you can see fear of the kick start is also a useful anti theft device should these lovely anachronisms suddenly become desired by the rich and famous thus creating a trend...

IBA#39,523
conchscooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 05:30 AM   #47
Iranian
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 402
Do you guys think it is possible that yamaha updates it for 2015 with a electric starter?
Iranian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 05:32 AM   #48
Iranian
Gnarly Adventurer

I found out the maintaince will most likely be like other yamaha bikes, every 10 000 km and the valves every 40 000 km. I wonder this maintain schedule is going to contain? Tightening all the bolt and nuts due to vibrations and oil change?
Old 11-27-2013, 05:32 AM   #49
Super Sneaky Steve
B@nned Club :D

Oddometer: 3,816
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iranian View Post
Do you guys think it is possible that yamaha updates it for 2015 with a electric starter?
Then it would lose 90% of it's appeal to me.
Super Sneaky Steve is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 05:34 AM   #50
kraven
Hegelian Scum

Oddometer: 4,715
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Sneaky Steve View Post
Then it would lose 90% of it's appeal to me.
Yep.
I'm looking at the prints for the Bolt trying to figure a way to ADD a kicker to it.

Kick only is the best for something like a 400. Adding a starter takes some of the fun away.
Old 11-27-2013, 10:16 AM   #51
Iranian
Gnarly Adventurer

How can adding a stater take a way some of the fun with sr 400? Having both starter and kickstater would give us the best of two worlds. I also love kick but since I am suffering from hipp problems I am not going to use a kickstarter. To satisfy both groups they should add a starter to it.

My question is if it is possible to do it to a bike that orginally did not have a starter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraven View Post
Yep.
I'm looking at the prints for the Bolt trying to figure a way to ADD a kicker to it.

Kick only is the best for something like a 400. Adding a starter takes some of the fun away.
Old 11-27-2013, 12:18 PM   #52
Pigford
British

Oddometer: 889
Quote:
How can adding a stater take a way some of the fun with sr 400? Having both starter and kickstater would give us the best of two worlds. I also love kick but since I am suffering from hipp problems I am not going to use a kickstarter. To satisfy both groups they should add a starter to it.

My question is if it is possible to do it to a bike that orginally did not have a starter.
The whole idea is for a half decent "retro" bike - harking back to the 70's An electric boot will only add weight (starter motor + bigger battery) and unnecessary complication - not good

The Kwak W650 is a great retro machine - the W800 is not as good or so retro-accurate, as it now has fuel injection + no kickstarter ........ If you want an 'old skool' bike, then the whole point being... Less is More

These Sr400's are going to be for sale at 5100 in the UK ....... thats about $8,000
Pigford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 12:39 PM   #53
davorallyfan
Commonist

Oddometer: 15,332
Imo

The original SR 500 was the first retro bike. The advertising at the time is harkened back to the old days of manxes, goldies, velos etc.

So is the new 400 a retro, retro bike?
Old 11-27-2013, 12:56 PM   #54
ferrix
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 638
Quote:
Originally Posted by davorallyfan View Post
The original SR 500 was the first retro bike. The advertising at the time is harkened back to the old days of manxes, goldies, velos etc.

So is the new 400 a retro, retro bike?
No, because it's not 'new' - sure they added fuel injection but there is continuity there because as far as I know production and sales never stopped in Japan.

We are going to get them in Australia, apparently... I'm somewhat interested but I must admit I like my convenience and I would like to have the electric start, purity be damned. Kick start could still be there for show and as a backup. I had such setup on one of my scooters a few years back and I never used kick starter, not once. That's how I know jumping up and down on a lever is not an important part of the 'experience' for me.
ferrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 01:29 PM   #55
Iranian
Gnarly Adventurer

Agree with you. It will not lose it's appeal because of couple of pounds and a button. The retro market is a small one and why should yamaha shoot their self in the foot and make that market even smaller?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrix View Post
No, because it's not 'new' - sure they added fuel injection but there is continuity there because as far as I know production and sales never stopped in Japan.

We are going to get them in Australia, apparently... I'm somewhat interested but I must admit I like my convenience and I would like to have the electric start, purity be damned. Kick start could still be there for show and as a backup. I had such setup on one of my scooters a few years back and I never used kick starter, not once. That's how I know jumping up and down on a lever is not an important part of the 'experience' for me.
Old 11-27-2013, 05:07 PM   #56
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,389
Put all that junk on it and it would just become another bland boring modern bike. It already has FI, enough is enough. Anyone who cannot kickstart a 400cc engine should find something else to ride. And as much as I like tubeless tires, I would be perfectly happy with tube type tires as long as it had a centerstand. I learned how to fix tube type tires decades ago.

As for ABS, after doing some research, I found that the only difference between an ABS bike and a non ABS bike is a disconnected wire or a pulled fuse. ABS brakes must work normally if the ABS fails, whether that failure is intentional or not. I have the ABS disconnected on my car (and the warning light taped over) It was impossible to drive it the way I wanted with ABS.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 06:18 PM   #57
Jimmy the Heater
Tilting the Horizon

Oddometer: 1,832
I never did like most of the cafe redo's that the masses have come out with lately but that is one seriously pretty bike.
Jimmy the Heater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 09:21 AM   #58
Gham
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,266
I wonder if the SR 500 was kick-only because Yamaha starters were honestly not very good in the 70's and early 80's. On my 79 XS 650 when the bike was cold I always used the kick starter and after warm up could switch to electric.

I got that tip from a Norton guy and it worked quite well.The electric starter would draw down a fully charged battery in a few seconds,every Virago had the same problem but no kick back-up.

Society Historicus Revisioniscus
Gham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 09:45 AM   #59
Iranian
Gnarly Adventurer

It only had kickstarter and nothing else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gham View Post
I wonder if the SR 500 was kick-only because Yamaha starters were honestly not very good in the 70's and early 80's. On my 79 XS 650 when the bike was cold I always used the kick starter and after warm up could switch to electric.

I got that tip from a Norton guy and it worked quite well.The electric starter would draw down a fully charged battery in a few seconds,every Virago had the same problem but no kick back-up.
Old 11-28-2013, 10:05 AM   #60
Gham
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,266
Quote:
It only had kickstarter and nothing else.
I believe I said that in the first sentence,Hey, I knew what I was "thinking"

Society Historicus Revisioniscus
Gham is offline   Reply With Quote