Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-26-2013, 01:45 PM   #1171
zuma
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 196
Half the price of a GS and twice as reliable, plus an extensive dealer network. If the VStrom had a European badge on the tank people would be raving about so much bike for so little money.
zuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 02:17 PM   #1172
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by snakebitten View Post
True. But it is half the bike, as anyone that rides the LC can tell you. :)
That obviously mans that you don't need a wreck for spares.
That's the real reason why people wait a year. It's so some wrecks are available before they buy one.

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 05:25 AM   #1173
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,708
a lot of expert opinions on the bike (and nothing new there)... but wonder if anyone has actually ridden this new version yet.
Countries ridden • FIN • SWE • NOR • DK • EE • LV • LT • POL • SK • HU • RO • BG • GR • IT • AT • DE • CZ • CH • SMR • LIE • NL • BE • FR • AND • ES • GBR • LUX • SI • HR • BIH • SRB • MK • TR • IR • PAK • IND • TH • KH • LA • MY • ID • AUS • CR • USA • ZA • LS • SWZ • MZ • NA • BW • ZM • ZW
Pecha72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 05:35 AM   #1174
Zapp22
ZAPP - Tejas

Oddometer: 13,532
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pecha72 View Post
a lot of expert opinions on the bike (and nothing new there)... but wonder if anyone has actually ridden this new version yet.
Nope. No real people.
Which means they are not ready yet
Zapp22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 06:25 AM   #1175
Kawidad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,378
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapp22 View Post
Nope. No real people.
Which means they are not ready yet

Sad, but most likely true.
Old 11-29-2013, 09:58 AM   #1176
disconnected
ultra runner

Oddometer: 6,211
come on, im interested in seeing this bike, but I had a 06 Strom and after I had a 95 R1100GS. The BMW was 11 years older and out perfomed my strom in every manner and I had not 1 problem. Not a flame to the new Strom or any stroms, but there is a difference.

I am really interested in seeing the 14 1000 in person.

Much of the time I think there is an unfair comparison. Many big GS bikes have 100K plus and many of the other bikes have 20k, so typically, but not always much less. So I don't think its unreasonable for a bike with 100k to require some maintenance. :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuma View Post
Half the price of a GS and twice as reliable, plus an extensive dealer network. If the VStrom had a European badge on the tank people would be raving about so much bike for so little money.
Old 11-29-2013, 12:55 PM   #1177
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by disconnected View Post
The BMW was 11 years older and out perfomed my strom in every manner and I had not 1 problem.
I've heard about that bike. I thought it was just an urban myth.

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 04:34 PM   #1178
M0t0Rider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by disconnected View Post
come on, im interested in seeing this bike, but I had a 06 Strom and after I had a 95 R1100GS. The BMW was 11 years older and out perfomed my strom in every manner and I had not 1 problem. Not a flame to the new Strom or any stroms, but there is a difference.

I am really interested in seeing the 14 1000 in person.

Much of the time I think there is an unfair comparison. Many big GS bikes have 100K plus and many of the other bikes have 20k, so typically, but not always much less. So I don't think its unreasonable for a bike with 100k to require some maintenance. :)

U need to read around on this forum more..there is one DL1k with 300k + and still going. But to address your statement above...your R11ooGS should out perform, it cost ya at least twice as much and did the maintenance....ohhh and I bet your bike was in the shop for all maintenance intervals to keep it running without 1 problem, you forgot to mention your mileage on the GS and the model Vstrom u own presently. Problem is .....the cheap bastards who buy Vstroms abuse the crap out of them and never take them to the shop till they fail cause there CHEAP!
Ohh wait you got one too

SWEET HOME ALABAMA!
2000 Kawasaki Ninja ZX6R
M0t0Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 08:38 PM   #1179
lexluther11
Ride,Eat,Rest-Repeat

Oddometer: 1,042
This is my desktop picture and the more I look at it the more I like it

It seems more sleek than mine.

lexluther11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 10:46 PM   #1180
Bolzen
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 185
Get the s10 dude, don't disgrace B.C. with that red thing w boxes
Old 12-01-2013, 08:02 PM   #1181
sweetlu
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
I have not seen anything on the alternator output. If they did increase it, we would’ve seen it on the specs or Suzuki would be bragging about it, which makes me believe it is unchanged, still 400 watts. Very disappointing :(
sweetlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 08:49 PM   #1182
Dalmatino
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 280
I read something about improved more efficient alternator that provided better power at lower rpm's but no total increase.
More would have been nice but for me it's all good. I didn't have a problem with my 08 but than I did not run any extra lights on top of my heated grips and power outlets for clothing, electrical charger and gadgets etc.

I cant wait till the bike show to finally see and sit on this thing. I was planning my South America trip on this thing next fall but now I'm reconsidering it and may add a DR650 specifically for that trip thinking it be a better choice.
After 3 Vstroms since 2002, I finally gave up waiting for a new updated version at the end of last year and traded my 08 in on a BMW R1200R only for Suzuki to announce the new Vistrom few month later. I was a bit pissed but did enjoy the BMW for a short while.

Than As faith would have it do to number of weird serious problems over the summer (and only 2000 klmtrs) with the R1200R the dealer bought my bike back as a trade in at pretty much what I paid for it. Long story, good dealer, BMW not so much. After 3 bmw's in last 25 years, rest assured it will be the last one. FFUN motorsports in Saskatoon will keep getting my business. Looks like it may be 2 bikes this year.

Dalmatino screwed with this post 12-01-2013 at 09:16 PM
Dalmatino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 02:16 AM   #1183
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 8,677
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetlu View Post
I have not seen anything on the alternator output. If they did increase it, we would’ve seen it on the specs or Suzuki would be bragging about it, which makes me believe it is unchanged, still 400 watts. Very disappointing :(
That's a bummer if true, I had 400 watts on my Dakar and it was quite limiting.
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 09:43 AM   #1184
hwunger
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 220
Bmw

I hear this more and more from BMW owners ..... the excessive mtce costs .... $600 here and $200 there .... whoops here's one for $2,000 ???

Japanese bikes are just not like that .... a bit of mtce .... oil & filter .... then GO! ....

(I owned an R1150R for less than 1 year then went back to Honda and have not been disappointed .... got a DL650 just recently and happy so far)
hwunger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 10:17 AM   #1185
Deuce
Crazy Canuck

Oddometer: 2,604
Real ride review

http://canadamotoguide.com/2013/12/0...-strom-launch/