Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-26-2013, 09:50 AM   #151
Emmbeedee OP
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,795
Quote:
Originally Posted by USAIR View Post
Liked the way you framed the BMW symbol in there too.
That was a total fluke. But I'll take credit for it anyway.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 10:11 AM   #152
Emmbeedee OP
Procrastinators

Nice of Garmin to add "Remote" capability to the ancient Oregon 550 so it can be used with the VIRB.
Old 11-26-2013, 10:18 AM   #153
Hellfish
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Dashboards

Can you mix and match the dashboards? In other words, can you choose altitude, speed and temperature for motorcycle rides then use cadence, heart rate and speed while mountain biking? Being able to make custom dashboard profiles would be great but it seems like they are preset.
Hellfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 11:26 AM   #154
Emmbeedee OP
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellfish View Post
Can you mix and match the dashboards? In other words, can you choose altitude, speed and temperature for motorcycle rides then use cadence, heart rate and speed while mountain biking? Being able to make custom dashboard profiles would be great but it seems like they are preset.
Not really sure what you're asking here. Are you saying one movie with different activity types in the same movie?

Each video you work on in VIRB Edit has only one Dashboard style. The video can be a composite of multiple videos but it still only has one possible Dashboard. There are ways around this, of course: make multiple movies with appropriate Dashboards, export them, then create another movie by combining them in some other program.
Old 11-27-2013, 05:49 AM   #155
THRASHED
Moving on Up

Oddometer: 224
So my Virb Elite showed up yesterday. I got home late, installed the memory card and the battery and plugged it in. The charge light showed Green so I turned it on. I saw that it was a setup screen and just turned it off because I was tired. This morning I picked up the camera and turned it on. I get the Garmin logo on the screen, then it just starts this long "beep" tone. It will not stop until I pull the battery. I thought, even though the light is green, that it may have been a low battery but when I plug it into my USB to charge it, the camera turns on and starts beeping.

I will call Garmin first thing when they open but I thought I'd try here on the off chance that you are awake and are obsessive about reading this thread.
THRASHED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 06:24 AM   #156
Emmbeedee OP
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by THRASHED View Post
So my Virb Elite showed up yesterday. I got home late, installed the memory card and the battery and plugged it in. The charge light showed Green so I turned it on. I saw that it was a setup screen and just turned it off because I was tired. This morning I picked up the camera and turned it on. I get the Garmin logo on the screen, then it just starts this long "beep" tone. It will not stop until I pull the battery. I thought, even though the light is green, that it may have been a low battery but when I plug it into my USB to charge it, the camera turns on and starts beeping.

I will call Garmin first thing when they open but I thought I'd try here on the off chance that you are awake and are obsessive about reading this thread.
Maybe you should try the factory reset procedure?

To perform a master reset:

Ensure the device is powered off
Press and hold Down
Press and immediately release Power
Wait for the message "Erase all user data?"
Release Down
Select Yes
The device should now be reset to default factory settings, all user data should be removed, and the device should function as expected.
Old 11-27-2013, 06:53 AM   #157
THRASHED
Moving on Up

Oddometer: 224
Thanks for the info, but it doesn't work. I hold down, press and release power and the Garmin logo comes on the screen but nothing else. When I release the down button the beep starts. Also, as it is starting up the green light will flash Orange for a split second. Here's what I was about to post:

UPDATE:
Just got off the phone with Garmin. They've never heard of this issue...go figure. They are sending me a shipping label for an exchange. What really sucks is I spend $30 for next-day shipping to get it yesterday in time for this weekend when my kids will be riding dirt bikes for the first time. I have two other possibilities: One, if it is the battery I can use the one from my Montana (I can live without it this weekend) and Two, maybe Bass Pro Shops got some in stock and I can stop by on the way out of town and swap it out.

I did manage to get it plugged in, while holding down the MODE key and it's not beeping. My thought is that it's possible (though not probable) that the battery is completely dead. I will let it charge for a while even though the charge light is green and see what happens.

I'm not sure the guy at Garmin really understood how disappointed I am with this situation.
THRASHED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 07:50 AM   #158
Emmbeedee OP
Procrastinators

Quote:
I'm not sure the guy at Garmin really understood how disappointed I am with this situation.
That would be the next thing to try - your Montana battery.

I can understand how disappointed you are.
Old 11-27-2013, 08:30 AM   #159
Hellfish
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
Not really sure what you're asking here. Are you saying one movie with different activity types in the same movie?

Each video you work on in VIRB Edit has only one Dashboard style. The video can be a composite of multiple videos but it still only has one possible Dashboard. There are ways around this, of course: make multiple movies with appropriate Dashboards, export them, then create another movie by combining them in some other program.
I would just like to know if the dashboards are customizable. It looks like you choose from several preset ones when it comes to the info displayed. For example, I might want to display oddball information like temperature and cadence on the same dashboard.

Thanks
Hellfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 09:14 AM   #160
Emmbeedee OP
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellfish View Post
I would just like to know if the dashboards are customizable. It looks like you choose from several preset ones when it comes to the info displayed. For example, I might want to display oddball information like temperature and cadence on the same dashboard.

Thanks
It doesn't look like you can change what information goes into whatever field is in the Dashboards at the moment. You can change the colours, but that's about it. I would imagine Garmin's going to be making more changes to VIRB Edit in the future. It's fairly basic right now.

I wouldn't even mind buying a "Plus" version of VE with more capabilities, if that became available.
Old 11-27-2013, 10:25 AM   #161
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

Oddometer: 687
Quote:
Thanks for the info, but it doesn't work. I hold down, press and release power and the Garmin logo comes on the screen but nothing else. When I release the down button the beep starts. Also, as it is starting up the green light will flash Orange for a split second.

UPDATE:
Just got off the phone with Garmin. They've never heard of this issue...go figure.
Interesting... Sounds like many others have already had similar issues with their new VIRB's.

Amusing quote from above linked article:
Quote:
Garmin VIRB Quirks:

Here's an interesting fact: the file system in our VIRB has folders listed as "GoPro". The "version.txt" file has an entry that reads "Hero3-Black Edition".

Could the video engine have been developed for Garmin by GoPro?

Note that just under the "DCIM" folder that holds the video files, a folder named "100GOPRO" is automatically created to store the video files.

atlas cached screwed with this post 11-27-2013 at 10:38 AM
atlas cached is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 10:46 AM   #162
Emmbeedee OP
Procrastinators

Snow day today...

Old 11-27-2013, 02:18 PM   #163
Mastery
Mr. Funny Man

Oddometer: 909
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post

So it does seem to work.
Thank you for the detailed write-up on this feature, much appreciated.

I'm about ready to just flip a coin on either this or the Ghost. Maybe I'll just get one of each and make my own determination. Just need to find some good sales over the next two days, and I'll probably go ahead and do a side-by-side for my own needs.
Old 11-27-2013, 07:58 PM   #164
Emmbeedee OP
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlas cached View Post
Interesting... Sounds like many others have already had similar issues with their new VIRB's.

Amusing quote from above linked article:
Not sure how you get 'many others have had similar issues' from that review?

I don't see any folders or references to GoPro in any files on my card.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Old 11-27-2013, 11:04 PM   #165
RexBuck
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 977
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastery View Post
Thank you for the detailed write-up on this feature, much appreciated.

I'm about ready to just flip a coin on either this or the Ghost. Maybe I'll just get one of each and make my own determination. Just need to find some good sales over the next two days, and I'll probably go ahead and do a side-by-side for my own needs.
I'm torn between these two also. Leaning to the Ghost (or Ghost S if it is being shipped soon) as it records in .mov format, already has a remote that doesn't seem to have a lot of problems and the twisty lens thing.

I might lean a bit more to the Garmin if I was using one of the GPS units that could link up with the camera. My Zumo has some features not offered in the handhelds and I not prepared to forgo those. For me, the internal GPS in the camera isn't something I would use.

Thanks to EmBeeDee for all the reviews and videos on this camera. Sure makes it clear what it is about.
www.rexbuck.com - RexBuck's Latin America
RexBuck is offline   Reply With Quote