Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-26-2013, 05:49 PM   #20686
bouldertag
WannabenarlyADV'rrrr

Oddometer: 433
Hard start

Had the hard start happen today.
Getting colder here.
Yep I didn't keep the start button pushed down for the full cycle. Then it never would start after that.

Charged battery and it coughed a bit and started up.

Whew!!

bouldertag screwed with this post 11-26-2013 at 05:57 PM
bouldertag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 09:10 PM   #20687
Tuska
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
Major failure

Found one of my head lamp bulbs blown after yesterday's 1200km ride on washboard gravel.....nearly at 40k and this is my biggest problem so far!!!

may be we could start talking about things that might go wrong....like how long will shutter system in head lamps last for???
Tuska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 09:25 PM   #20688
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,308
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuska View Post
Found one of my head lamp bulbs blown after yesterday's 1200km ride on washboard gravel.....
Jiggle the connector to the back of the bulb before assuming the lamp is blown. As you may be aware, a somewhat common problem with the S10 has been intermittent headlamp connections due, at least in part, to localized overheating at the contacts. There are a few theories about the root cause floating around. Yamaha has recently revised the headlight wiring harness with a new part that has heavier-gauge wires and different connectors which presumably solves the problem. Since there is a bit of a safety angle, some are expecting a recall.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 02:21 AM   #20689
true grip
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjenn View Post
Jiggle the connector to the back of the bulb before assuming the lamp is blown. As you may be aware, a somewhat common problem with the S10 has been intermittent headlamp connections due, at least in part, to localized overheating at the contacts. There are a few theories about the root cause floating around. Yamaha has recently revised the headlight wiring harness with a new part that has heavier-gauge wires and different connectors which presumably solves the problem. Since there is a bit of a safety angle, some are expecting a recall.

- Mark
Here is a pic of the new harness. I took a bird hit and had to repair some tabs on the headlight housing decided to replace harness too since it was available. Much heavier.
Old 11-27-2013, 06:57 AM   #20690
Dallara
Creaks When Walks...

Oddometer: 1,752
Cool2 You know what big wires means...

Quote:
Originally Posted by true grip View Post
Here is a pic of the new harness. I took a bird hit and had to repair some tabs on the headlight housing decided to replace harness too since it was available. Much heavier.

Saw that pic over on the dedicated forum...

Funny thing is, from the picture it appears that Yamaha has only gone to much larger gauge wire. Despite what markjenn posted above the actual headlamp bulb connector plug looks exactly the same - identical.

Way back when all the headlamp harness meltdowns were first reported (mine was one of the first) I corresponded with Jim at "Eastern Beaver", sending him pictures of my melted harness, etc. He said from the beginning the wire size was the problem with the original harness, and perhaps the plug where it connected to the motorcycle's main wiring harness (he thought the pins were too light and small there). He wasn't as concerned about the actual headlamp connector plug.

Big thread over on the other forum about it, with all the info.

Just FYI...

Dallara

~

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a psychiatrist's office

~
Dallara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 08:32 AM   #20691
Old Blue
Shallow waterman

Oddometer: 1,420
Hey fellas, I just gotta share: If it all works out I'll be joining your ranks as a Super Tenere owner on Friday!

I am buying Snowingonraton's pristine 2012 blue one from him. I'm waaaaay excited. I've been wanting a Tenere since they came out and this is the right one!

I'm driving to Austin to pick it up on Friday. I'm post pics when I can!
Old Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 08:50 AM   #20692
RideAbout
Mentally Retired

Oddometer: 1,587
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Blue View Post
Hey fellas, I just gotta share: If it all works out I'll be joining your ranks as a Super Tenere owner on Friday!
Welcome Blue, you've been around the KLR world for many years.... I think you'll enjoy the SuperT!
Old 11-27-2013, 08:58 AM   #20693
Roadscum
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,836
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjenn View Post

- Mark
Yamaha USA paid the dealer to inspect the head light wiring harness on my bike after I called them and expressed a concern about my safety. The inspection found a faulty harness(resistance too high) and it was replaced at no cost to me.
Good on Yamaha USA!

Paul
Old 11-27-2013, 09:10 AM   #20694
RedRocker
Native Texican

Oddometer: 5,435
Quote:

I am buying Snowingonraton's pristine 2012 blue one from him. I'm waaaaay excited. I've been wanting a Tenere since they came out and this is the right one!

I guess I'm the last hold out.
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation."
RedRocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 09:29 AM   #20695
Cykel
I'm Adventurer?

Oddometer: 286
Quote:

Congrats!

I'm planning to ride Friday if you want to break it in
Cykel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 11:47 AM   #20696
snakebitten
Small Town Hick

Oddometer: 951
Quote:

Know that feeling. :)

Poor KLR. Dead battery and clogged carb in its future.
Old 11-27-2013, 11:57 AM   #20697
RideDualSport.com
TPB all the way

Oddometer: 1,432
Quote:
Excellent, more Texas Teneres!
It is a good motorcycle.
Alaska Deep Adventure
RideDualSport.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 02:31 PM   #20698
Old Blue
Shallow waterman

Oddometer: 1,420
Thanks for the good words, everyone.

It's a great used bike. 10k miles and in great condition. No silly mods. Needs tires, which is cool, because now I get to pick what goes on.

It's REALLY nice when a bike is advertised honestly/correctly.
Old Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 05:12 PM   #20699
tomatocity
Retired and lovin' it

Oddometer: 756
Speaking of the headlight wiring harness... PCP Motorsports http://www.pcpmotorsports.com/ stocks this harness. They recently returned the original harness and replaced it with the newer harness. Ask for Michael and mention you are from the forum.

Just saying in case someone needs a harness and wants it shipped the same day.

2012 Yamaha Super Tenere #027, 2005 KLR, 1993 Chevrolet S10,
tomatocity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 10:18 PM   #20700
k7tbt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 107
New Owner

Picked up my new 2013 Super Tenere yesterday. Nice day for this time of the year in Northwest Washington so took it out for a spin, 100+ miles. Big compared to my KLR but see that the KLR is not going to get much use anymore.