Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Trials
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-23-2013, 01:26 PM   #121
jonnyc21
n00b sums it up.

Oddometer: 846
True an all accounts and I did find once that the Pampara was dry at 210 (Have a friend with one and really I would guess 220 dry at best)

The more I look at them the more I slide to the OSSA over the X-Ride. Still would like a way to keep the BMW but most of the time I ride it I am on slab so not sure it's my best choice. Still in the debate on what my long term riding goals are and shouldn't get the OSSA even if I sell the BMW anyway as I don't have the cash to buy without a loan so will have to keep the BMW for now (not a bad thing by any count.)

Time and $ will be the desiring factor and it's hard to tell, who knows if they bring the 4RT back to the US I might just get one of them and convert my current 07 4RT into an OSSA equivalent. :)
jonnyc21 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 10:03 AM   #122
Lotus54
Ngana

Oddometer: 163
I went on a 50 mile ride yesterday (I think 4.5 hours actual running time, I'll check).
Started on HWY 101, off to power line, gravel roads, single track, tight single track, NO track through clear cuts (lots of log hopping etc), ice, hills - great day!
The OSSA did fantastic! Cruised down 101 easily, 50mph was around 4500 rpm in 6th, I'm sure 55-60 would be easy. Harder to shift sitting down (trials gear lever, move your foot to shift- works great standing, not as well sitting).
Of course it was the best in the places where there was no trail at all- the more difficult the better. I'm getting to know the bike more and trusting what it will really do. I had by far the easiest time (I think) in the really nasty sections.
The low fuel lamp came on just as we got back, so 50 miles with a small reserve. I brought a litre of fuel along, but never used it.

For fast, rocky sections, it certainly isn't as easy to ride fast as my 300, but I did just fine. Some places I'd be a little faster on my 300, but as I get used to the bike more I don't think much of the time it makes any difference. I try to ride about 60% of my max anyway! number one rule- don't fall down! (I was the only one yesterday that didn't.

I installed some KTM adventure plastic handguards- I used them on my Ducati and liked them. Quite light, flexible and not expensive. Worked great for the brushy sections. Before I kept doing stoppies as brush hit the front brake and clutch. Plus probably a bit warmer for my hands.
I am planning of getting some of the twisted Engineering flex composite bars, so these should flex ok with those bars (I think).

I really like the peg location and weight distribution of the bike. Even with modest power output it is easy to loft the front wheel at speed- a quick preload of the front and weight shift with a bit of a tug and it pops right up over mud holes, ditches etc. the rear seems to do just fine hitting those as speed, I haven't noticed any bottoming yet. Forks work darn well also. Lewisport fixed me up with the trials rear brake lever- perfect! Nice hinging pedal and in the perfect location. If you buy one of these, buy this lever also.

I'm very happy with the bike so far. Incredibly fun to ride and I feel like I improving my skills. Standing properly of hills most of the time now. The bike really rewards standing, since it is so much easy to move weight around and absorb shocks from logs, rocks etc.
It runs super clean, the guys behind say it is like riding behind a 4-stoke, except is smells great!

I'll pop up a short video later.
But I would encourage anyone to check these out. The light weight is fantastic!

Mark

Lotus54 screwed with this post 11-24-2013 at 10:57 AM
Lotus54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 11:20 AM   #123
lamotovita
Ageing Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,417
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus54 View Post
Lewisport fixed me up with the trials rear brake lever- perfect! Nice hinging pedal and in the perfect location. If you buy one of these, buy this lever also.
Mark
What is the difference between the two levers? Have you a photo?
Old 11-24-2013, 12:23 PM   #124
Lotus54
Ngana

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamotovita View Post
What is the difference between the two levers? Have you a photo?
The stock Explorer lever is a mild steel lever with no retractable tip.
It is too long, so I had to ride with my heel partway on the peg to reach it (and I wear size 12). It bends easily also.
The trials one is alloy, has a height adjuster, neat retractable tip and is short enough that it falls right under the toe. Just right!

I will take a couple of pics.

Mark
Old 11-24-2013, 12:47 PM   #125
motobene
Motoing for 43 years

Oddometer: 1,010
Quote:
I went on a 50 mile ride yesterday (I think 4.5 hours actual running time, I'll check).

Of course it was the best in the places where there was no trail at all- the more difficult the better.

For fast, rocky sections, it certainly isn't as easy to ride fast as my 300, but I did just fine. Etc....
Mark
Wish I was able to ride where you do! The terrain is spot on for the bike. I've been waiting to do that kind of riding on the trials bike between Angel Fire and Sipapu in NM, but have yet to get some folks up to do that... and it'll be next summer before we can anyway. Fuel range is something we'll deal with somehow.

You sais you were riding with others. Were they on bigger bikes? If so, did the Explorer make a big impression?

Oh and I wonder if they opted for a steel shift lever so it could get smacked hard and bend? The forged aluminum one will do that too, but it won't bend back so easily.
motobene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 12:59 PM   #126
Lotus54
Ngana

Come on out!
Yes, the others were on bigger (physically anyway) bikes.
500 KTM, 250 (with 320 kit ) KTM and 250 KX Kawasaki 2- stroke.
For the nasty stuff I think so.
I had think I had more fun with the hardest stuff and made it easier also (well, I think so anyway). I know everyone likes the light weight that has ridden it.
If all you did was fast stuff, then probably not the best. But for single track that speed is maybe 20 mph at the very most, and especially places where speed is 2mph...then it really is great.
One thing I really like, if I mess up, it is so light it is easy to get yourself out of whatever trouble you are in. Turning around on nasty hill is a LOT easier, same with putting a foot down when loosing balance.

I really don't know why they used the steel lever. It really doesn't work well.

The alloy lever is tucked on, with a very nice steel pivot section. It folds way back, so unless you hit it just right it wouldn't bend. The stock one stuck way out and I even bent it on something (which put it back to where I could reach it actually). I also broke the weld the holds the spacer on, getting it over a very steeply angled log. I don't think trials lever would have broken a sweat over the same log.

Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by motobene View Post
Wish I was able to ride where you do! The terrain is spot on for the bike. I've been waiting to do that kind of riding on the trials bike between Angel Fire and Sipapu in NM, but have yet to get some folks up to do that... and it'll be next summer before we can anyway. Fuel range is something we'll deal with somehow.

You sais you were riding with others. Were they on bigger bikes? If so, did the Explorer make a big impression?

Oh and I wonder if they opted for a steel shift lever so it could get smacked hard and bend? The forged aluminum one will do that too, but it won't bend back so easily.

Lotus54 screwed with this post 11-27-2013 at 11:29 AM
Lotus54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 01:49 PM   #127
jonnyc21
n00b sums it up.

The bars the OSSA Explorer comes with is likely to be trials bars and not angled back as much as standard MX/dirt bike bars so I would not recommend the "twisted Engineering flex composite bars" unless they have a trials bar option. You would get a much more cramped ride and standing up wouldn't be anyware near as easy in the hard stuff.

My 2 cents for what its worth.

If you do get them please tell us what you think.
Old 11-24-2013, 01:55 PM   #128
Lotus54
Ngana

Yes, that certainly could be an issue- I have been conserved about that.

I think I'll just get the 'test bars' they have so I ca see if the bend will work.
Looking on the bike, my KTM bars are pretty close to the OSSA (well, sort of hard to tell). I have then angled up much like the trials bikes do- so it has really good standing ergos. Not so great for sitting.

They just plain may not work though...

Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyc21 View Post
The bars the OSSA Explorer comes with is likely to be trials bars and not angled back as much as standard MX/dirt bike bars so I would not recommend the "twisted Engineering flex composite bars" unless they have a trials bar option. You would get a much more cramped ride and standing up wouldn't be anyware near as easy in the hard stuff.

My 2 cents for what its worth.

If you do get them please tell us what you think.
Old 11-24-2013, 01:59 PM   #129
jonnyc21
n00b sums it up.

Quote:
Yes, that certainly could be an issue- I have been conserved about that.

I think I'll just get the 'test bars' they have so I ca see if the bend will work.
Looking on the bike, my KTM bars are pretty close to the OSSA (well, sort of hard to tell). I have then angled up much like the trials bikes do- so it has really good standing ergos. Not so great for sitting.

They just plain may not work though...

Mark
Didn't spend that much time on the site to see they had test bars... if so that would be a way to go for sure. Good luck
Old 11-24-2013, 05:28 PM   #130
Lotus54
Ngana

Here is the trials pedal
(Please excuse the dirt, still not cleaned up from yesterday)

And the original pedal

Old 11-25-2013, 08:57 AM   #131
motobene
Motoing for 43 years

Oddometer: 1,010
Quote:
Here is the trials pedal
(Please excuse the dirt, still not cleaned up from yesterday)
And the original pedal....
Interesting. The steel pedal is cheesy looking. It also looks to be farther away from the footpeg than the forge aluminum trials pedal Given that detail is backwards for the application, perhaps cheap was the motive? The steel peg would cost about half or less as much to make. And if sourced in Asia maybe be less than 20%.
motobene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 11:24 AM   #132
Lotus54
Ngana

Yes, the original was way too far from the footpeg.
I'm Sure it is cheaper, but since they already have the one for the trials bike, it seems the cost savings would be less (sourcing and stocking two parts).
But there may be other reasons also.
At least it is an easy fix.

Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by motobene View Post
Interesting. The steel pedal is cheesy looking. It also looks to be farther away from the footpeg than the forge aluminum trials pedal Given that detail is backwards for the application, perhaps cheap was the motive? The steel peg would cost about half or less as much to make. And if sourced in Asia maybe be less than 20%.
Old 11-25-2013, 01:45 PM   #133
2bold2getold
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,485
Quote:
Yes, the original was way too far from the footpeg.
I'm Sure it is cheaper, but since they already have the one for the trials bike, it seems the cost savings would be less (sourcing and stocking two parts).
But there may be other reasons also.
At least it is an easy fix.

Mark
Might want to cut (shorten) that steel one and put a hinged tip on it. Then have it for a spare, or carry it on longer rides where an alloy welder might be hard to come by. Justincase.
2bold2getold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 11:45 PM   #134
manybike
Omnipresent

Oddometer: 364
The Ossa explorer just went on sale here, (Alberta Canada)

$6500 cad, not a bad price, going to look tomorrow.

72 Yamaha 350 street 92 R100GS
07 Versys 08 WR250X ST1300
manybike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 06:48 AM   #135
Lotus54
Ngana

Quote:
Originally Posted by manybike View Post
The Ossa explorer just went on sale here, (Alberta Canada)

$6500 cad, not a bad price, going to look tomorrow.
Is that a 14 or 13?

Make sure the easy start is retro fitted if a 13.
Good price!