Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-28-2013, 06:19 AM   #136
Seth650
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 382
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus54 View Post
Is that a 14 or 13?

Make sure the easy start is retro fitted if a 13.
Good price!
Likely to be wider interest by Day Trippers for the Explorer. Questions do arise like: what options for where, how is highway handling with a 53" wheelbase, what's the real world top speed when nearing GVW and the 0-70, will I need a dealer to do some maintenance, and dealer locations?

Actually, at 170 lbs. most guys here would find a way to carry the Explorer on their R1200gs
Old 11-28-2013, 06:53 AM   #137
Lotus54
Ngana

Oddometer: 142
It wouldn't be my first choice for any distance on the hiway, although you could.
With the steep steering you want to keep a light touch on the bars on the highway, but I had no issues. It doesn't have a load of power or acceleration in sixth gear- it is quite smooth though. I doubt I'll ever go more than a few miles on the highway, but have done a bit more on gravel roads.

There are not very many dealers yet- but I think if more people rode this bike there would be a lot more.
There is one in Locke, NY. (I don't know what part of the state that is. Maybe not too far from you)
I don't think they much would really need to be done by the dealer- just electronics if ever needed possibly (the software and cables are sort of expensive). The rest of the bike is pretty straightforward from what I've seen.
If there was ever a transmission problem, it can be take out with the engine in the frame quite easily. If you can change a clutch I think you could do that.
The two year warranty is great!

Here the bike is best is tight trails. I find it great fun on wider trails also, not so wonderful on the whoops (but I don't like those anyway). The harder the trail the better the bike likes it.
I wouldn't call it a dual sport at all- a street legal dirt bike (in states that allow plating, it is NOT classified a street legal bike, even though it comes with everything but side reflectors to be street legal here in Washington state with an inspection)
I would actually like it better on the hiway than my KTM 300- it has LOTS more power, but the OSSA is so smooth and cruises along quite nicely. But I'll bet guys I the big adventure bikes bring more luggage than this thing weighs!

Anyone up around this area I'll be happy to show it - if interested.

As you can tell, I'm pretty excited about the bike.

Mark
Old 11-28-2013, 07:01 AM   #138
lamotovita
Ageing Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,344
Lotus, have you thought about riding some Trials events on your Ossa?
Old 11-28-2013, 07:11 AM   #139
Lotus54
Ngana

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamotovita View Post
Lotus, have you thought about riding some Trials events on your Ossa?
I've never ridden a trials event, heck- I've never even been to one! (Just exhibition trials).
I think it would be pretty fun, I understand they have beginner classes that are not crazy or anything. I'll look into it (if you know of ones please let me know).

I've heard about people doing them, someone did pretty Well on one in the Scottish six days trial- another did well at Erzberg (modified with a little longer suspension). Two quite different events!

Mark
Old 11-28-2013, 09:20 AM   #140
jonnyc21
n00b sums it up.

Oddometer: 754
FYI: http://pugetsoundtrialers.com/

A great bunch of guys and there next trial is in Marysville, WA on Jan 12th called "Plastered Purple Penguin". If your doing lots of hard single track you could ride novice fine and have a great time. If you go I suggest showing up early so you can ask questions and maybe watch the other riders worm up so you can get an idea of what its all about.

Love it out here in ID and the trials group is great but wish I had some of my old buddies from WA to ride with. (had more people to ride with on Saturday [my free day])
jonnyc21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 12:29 PM   #141
Lotus54
Ngana

I know about Puget sound trailers (I may even be on the forum)

I'll check it out and try and make one.
Thanks!
Old 11-29-2013, 06:56 AM   #142
lamotovita
Ageing Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus54 View Post
I know about Puget sound trailers (I may even be on the forum)

I'll check it out and try and make one.
Thanks!
I started riding Trials with the Puget Sound Trialers back in the 90s. I rode my Gas Gas Pampera. It worked fine in the Intermediate class.
Old 12-16-2013, 05:10 PM   #143
Harpoonalt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 242
I had a Sherco 2.9 for a brief time and foolishly sold it. I'm looking again for a trials bike but the Explorer seems like it would work better being able to travel short distances to prime riding areas. My use would be to work on my riding skills and have fun on some technical trails. Curious about the real world price on the Explorer and how close to a real trials bike it really is? Any regrets on getting the Explorer vs. a real trials bike?
Harpoonalt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 05:53 PM   #144
Lotus54
Ngana

I paid $8k for it. I was ready to buy and got the first 2014, so full price. I doubt there is a lot of room to move. 2013 bikes are avaliable at a good price, but I wanted the upgrades of the 14.

It is the same bike as the TR280 trials bike with the following differences
Another fuel tank (2 gal capacity total, tied together)
Sub frame, bigger rear fender, plate holder
Seat
Turn signals, lights etc.
A bit firmer suspension, but lower grade (seems to work pretty well)
I was going to order it with the Ohlins, but I just didn't wan to wait!
Tube type wheels
Different brake pedal. (Buy the trials one!)
Pirelli tyres rather than Michelin (Michelin are better)

There may be a few other smaller differences I missed (brake master or something) but the engine, trans, frame, swingarm etc are the same.

I understand one was used at the Scottish 6 days to quite good results.from what I'm told, it works darn well as a trials bike.
Obviously it is a bit heavier and you can't move around quite as much- but geometry, engine, clutch, brakes all work really well.
I'm no trials rider, I'm just learning a little about it. But those who are good have said good things.

You could give Adrian at Lewisport a call, he could give you the best info.

I had a regular trials bike before (GasGas TXT 280pro) and like the OSSA More in every way.
I ride it on 4 hour rides with no problems at all, I use the seat if I get out of shape, or for hills with ruts too deep to keep feet on the pegs.
It has all the street gear, so I plated it and can legally ride FS roads, roads to the riding areas and could make a road ride back if something happens.
It also carries enough fuel for a 40-50 mile ride of single track, runs super clean and will easily cruise at 50mph.

The gearbox is a trials box, so the first three are really close, a bit of a gap to fourth, then a large gap to 5th and 6th. No big problems so far with it. Sometimes 4th is a little high and 3rd a little low, but it has so much torque that it is no big deal.

Great fun when the trails deteriorate- I'm slowly learning how to make better use of its easy weight transfer and excellent power delivery.

As you can tell I'm very excited about the bike, just plain so much fun!
Yeah, on the rough trails I could go faster on my 300, but I don't care about going as fast as I can anymore. I go about 60% of max anyway.
I try for total control and making the bike do what I want it to- and just have fun riding mountain trails! I don't get to ride those all year, or eve as much as I would like, but it is really fun on everything I've done so far.
I doubt I'd like it in the desert very much...

Wow, that was a lot longer reply than I meant to do.

Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpoonalt View Post
I had a Sherco 2.9 for a brief time and foolishly sold it. I'm looking again for a trials bike but the Explorer seems like it would work better being able to travel short distances to prime riding areas. My use would be to work on my riding skills and have fun on some technical trails. Curious about the real world price on the Explorer and how close to a real trials bike it really is? Any regrets on getting the Explorer vs. a real trials bike?

Lotus54 screwed with this post 12-16-2013 at 05:59 PM
Lotus54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 06:08 PM   #145
tedmarshall
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 512
Yet more questions/ old guy trails bike?

Mark/Lotus:

What size are you? I am 58, 6-foot 225lbs, big feet. Can I really fit on this Explorer?

I am fixated on getting back to single track. I loved my KTM 200 XC-W. But I thought I was a hero and kept crashing or getting spit off on slippery rocks and stuff. Broke a leg and stuff.

Then a had knee replacement a year ago and am now feeling confident enuf to do technical trails.

The Sherco X-Ride is attractive too though I am spooked by the bad build quality some have tagged it with.

I hear the Beta 300 RR could be an old man's trail bike. But that's a race bike.

I want to be in control not racing on the edge with a bike that's too highly strung for plonking.

Do you fit okay on the Explorer?

Thanks for your time.

Ted
tedmarshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 06:40 PM   #146
Lotus54
Ngana

I'm 58, 5'10" and about 180. Size 12 boots.

No issues with foot size, it is typical trials, take your foot off the peg to shift. Stock brake pedal is way to far out, but the TR280 one is perfect.
I don't see where you would have any issue- as long as you ride standing. The bike really rewards standing anyway, but for your size it may seem a little cramped when sitting.
I put 2" bar risers on it so I could stand more upright to rest on long rides. I have a 34" inseam and the transition form sitting to standing is fine- I rarely sit, bit when I do I look for a bump to help pop me back up later int he ride to save energy.

One of the other guys on the last ride had a Beta enduro, very nice bike. He used to be an expert trials rider, he rode around on my OSSA a bit- he could really make it do stuff! Even though he said he was really rusty.
It will really teach you to ride better.

The sherco is a lot heavier I believe. So,far I have not seen any build quality issues with the OSSA or problems with it being too fragile or anything . BUT I very, very rarely crash.
Some of the things I saw earlier models had issues with have been fixed. Except he brake pedal, I have no idea why they don't ship with those. Maybe it is some rule in Europe for Streep legality or something. At least is is no big dealt I fit the trails version.

Oh yeah, the air filter is LOT higher than most trials bikes and higher than my KTM for that matter.
Easy to service, tends to stay clean and intake is right at the headstock. Deep water crossings are good with this bike.

Where are you located? I'm happy to show the bike.

Mark

Lotus54 screwed with this post 12-16-2013 at 06:46 PM
Lotus54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 02:50 AM   #147
Harpoonalt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 242
LOL.....Must be you get to a certain age and having something to sit on once and awhile becomes important. I'm 55, 6'1" and 230 lbs. Risers for sure. Cables ok with 2" risers?
I appreciate your insights on the bike Mark. There's not a whole lot of info out there on it and I've never actually seen one in person. Closest dealer is 2 hours away and I don't believe he's getting one unless someone orders one. It's a lot of money to spend on something you've never laid a hand on.
That said, it seems like the perfect bike for what I want. The trials bike was fun, but being limited to riding around the yard and my neighborhood was frustrating. Just being able to travel a few miles gets me to some places I could spend all day at.
Thanks!
Harpoonalt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 06:49 AM   #148
lamotovita
Ageing Adventurer

A bike with a seat works better for rough trail riding anyway. Unlike in a Trials section that has been cleared and pre ridden, sometimes you have to duck under brush and limbs or paddle up a hill. Having a seat lets you weight the rear wheel with your feet off the pegs, there's no observer anyway.
Old 12-17-2013, 10:19 AM   #149
Lotus54
Ngana

A couple of weeks ago on ride we came across some guys going the other way.

Someone saw me coming and hollered out 'Don't sit down!'
I guess we get 'observers' one way or the other.

Yeah, sometimes it isn't pretty but I still make it.

Mark
Old 12-18-2013, 06:23 AM   #150
OneEffinName
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 424
Louts54, My buddy and I just bought a pair of explorers. We are across the water from you in Victoria. Mine is a 2012 old stock (#129) should be here in a week, my buddy already has his (I think his was the first one in N.A.). We went riding with it yesterday and had lots of fun. We both have KTM EXCFs, so this will be fine as a play bike and for the wifey to ride.

I gotta few questions:

(1) What is your gearing? We use the bikes for technical trail riding and junior events, which does not require such low gearing.

(2) Neutral was a bit of a pain to find while the engine was running - do you have the same issue?

(3) Do you have a map switch? Can you tell any difference?

thanks!
2012 OSSA Explorer/TR280 Convertable

OneEffinName screwed with this post 12-18-2013 at 06:33 AM
OneEffinName is offline   Reply With Quote