ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning > Americas
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-28-2013, 10:15 AM   #18601
Jick Magger
Exile on Main Street
 
Jick Magger's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: Okanagan Valley BC, Canada/Scottsdale, Arizona
Oddometer: 842
Quote:
Originally Posted by bouldergeek View Post
Is that an Expobar?
Its a Rocket Giotto. The problem with a great machine is that to have very good coffee you also require a great grinder for consistent and adjustable grind. In my case a Mazzer Mini. For me i could justify by doing the math. I buy a pound of coffee a week for $16. Wife and i would purchase probably 14-22 coffees per week at shops
If we didn't have the home machine. At $3 x 20(week) x 52 = $3120/year
I get quality every time I pull a shot (or i pour it down the sink) unlike say Starbucks with their automatic machines and no barista expertise.
When i was in Mexico i had been riding for hours in the morning and kept delaying a stop for breakfast. I hadn't had a coffee all morning and was severely withdrawing. This family made me a nice breakfast but put down a cup of hot water and a jar of instant Nescafe. I just chuckled and made myself a cup… when in Rome..



__________________
"Blessed are the Cheesemakers"


RIde Report http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...t=Rolling+jick
Jick Magger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 10:21 AM   #18602
rockymountainoyster
Studly Adventurer
 
rockymountainoyster's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2010
Location: Back in the San Juan Mountains
Oddometer: 983
Tubac

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLoblaw View Post
OK I'm now in TubacAZ for the winter. And yes, the older I get the faster I was.

I'm riding the Blue and White version of Jick's AZ BMW.
What the heck are you doing in Tubac?

My ride is a Blue and White, 2001 1150GS. Pictured here somewhere downrange from Nuevo Casas Grandes.
__________________
The Way South http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=849812
rockymountainoyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 12:56 PM   #18603
BobLoblaw
Comfortably Numb
 
BobLoblaw's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Oddometer: 1,492
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockymountainoyster View Post
What the heck are you doing in Tubac?

My ride is a Blue and White, 2001 1150GS. Pictured here somewhere downrange from Nuevo Casas Grandes.
Mine is also a 2001. 80000 miles and so far so good, except for the broken shock last year, the result of hitting a tope at 60mph. Two weeks later 3 hours east of Hermosillo the shock broke in half.

I'm living in Tubac for the winter. Can no longer tolerate 4-5 months of the PNW rain
__________________
Ride till you can't - Marty Hill
BobLoblaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 01:16 PM   #18604
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso
 
tricepilot's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: San Antonio
Oddometer: 8,407
MOTOHANK and his 500,000 mile 1150 GS

Hank Arriazola, my wrench from Dilley, Texas, had 420k on his bike before the start of his Texas to TDF ride a few years ago.

The bike is at about half a million miles as of today - and still going strong

The secret: he rotates the air between the front and back tires
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 07:06 AM   #18605
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso
 
tricepilot's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: San Antonio
Oddometer: 8,407
I trust everybody's Thanksgiving saw a day with tables filled with good food and time for reflection. I expect many of you moto heads are at motorcycle stores today chasing Black Friday deals on new heated gloves or a new helmet

A quick story:

For Thanksgiving morning, Tricedaughter signed up to deliver turkey dinners to shut-ins in downtown via a San Antonio organization. At the last moment I and Tricedaughter #2 decided to go along. We left the house in Tricewife's hands, our own turkey continuing to roast away in the oven.

When we got to the central pick up point to pick up the meals for distribution, it was exceptionally well organized, with supply trucks and lots of workers. TD#1 had signed up for one delivery run of 3 separate meals but the volunteers asked if we could do an additional run to ensure everybody who signed up to receive a meal got their dinner at mid day.

Off we went with 7 pre-assembled dinners in a cardboard tray covered in plastic, 7 miniature pumpkin pies, 7 place mats hand decorated by children, 7 apples, 7 holiday cards, and 7 miniature hand decorated Christmas trees.

Good thing we had a GPS. The maps were highlighted, but only on street names. Without a GPS you could be blocks off the target. With three pairs of eyes it wasn't to difficult to find the houses. We would park, gather up the delivery, go knock on the door, and wait. At each house, we would hear a frail voice. A smile greeted up each time the door opened. The person getting the meal was very senior, and in almost every case, physically very slowed down, and always alone. The alone part started to get to me. They all said thank you-thank you-thank you over and over again for coming to their house.

As I watched my daughters set up their place mat and set the food on it, and interact with the seniors, I was so proud of them for doing this but also for thinking of volunteering in the first place. It really changed the mood on Thanksgiving for me. Back at our own house by about 1 just as the turkey was ready and the table already set up while we were out, I was thinking about the lonely seniors, and thankful to have my family there to sit around the table.
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 07:22 AM   #18606
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer
 
MikeMike's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Oddometer: 4,149
Great job of parenting there on the part of Mr. and Mrs. Trice
Giving to help others.
You've got the priorities straight, but honestly, the marketing and gimmickery of Black Friday has overshadowed what was once your biggest and brightest family event holiday.
I've always celebrated on the second Monday in October, like all Canadians, far enough away from Christmas to avoid the doorbuster extravaganza madness.
Now, in place of people sitting around and enjoying each other's company and celebrating, you've got knife fights in parking lots, people getting beaten up over a TV, etc...
How far will it go? What's next?
Here is an example:

http://www.blackbeltmag.com/daily/ma...2071AEB6FDEEF4

How to carve a turkey with a samurai sword. Is that April Fool's come early or what?

You kept it real, Trice. When your kids teach their kids the same values and have them perform deeds of giving, they'll keep the real tradition alive and well.
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 08:15 AM   #18607
Turkeycreek
Gringo Viejo
 
Turkeycreek's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2010
Location: Banámichi, Sonora, Mexico
Oddometer: 1,002
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
I trust everybody's Thanksgiving saw a day with tables filled with good food and time for reflection. I expect many of you moto heads are at motorcycle stores today chasing Black Friday deals on new heated gloves or a new helmet

A quick story:

For Thanksgiving morning, Tricedaughter signed up to deliver turkey dinners to shut-ins in downtown via a San Antonio organization. At the last moment I and Tricedaughter #2 decided to go along. We left the house in Tricewife's hands, our own turkey continuing to roast away in the oven.

When we got to the central pick up point to pick up the meals for distribution, it was exceptionally well organized, with supply trucks and lots of workers. TD#1 had signed up for one delivery run of 3 separate meals but the volunteers asked if we could do an additional run to ensure everybody who signed up to receive a meal got their dinner at mid day.

Off we went with 7 pre-assembled dinners in a cardboard tray covered in plastic, 7 miniature pumpkin pies, 7 place mats hand decorated by children, 7 apples, 7 holiday cards, and 7 miniature hand decorated Christmas trees.

Good thing we had a GPS. The maps were highlighted, but only on street names. Without a GPS you could be blocks off the target. With three pairs of eyes it wasn't to difficult to find the houses. We would park, gather up the delivery, go knock on the door, and wait. At each house, we would hear a frail voice. A smile greeted up each time the door opened. The person getting the meal was very senior, and in almost every case, physically very slowed down, and always alone. The alone part started to get to me. They all said thank you-thank you-thank you over and over again for coming to their house.

As I watched my daughters set up their place mat and set the food on it, and interact with the seniors, I was so proud of them for doing this but also for thinking of volunteering in the first place. It really changed the mood on Thanksgiving for me. Back at our own house by about 1 just as the turkey was ready and the table already set up while we were out, I was thinking about the lonely seniors, and thankful to have my family there to sit around the table.
A beautiful story Trice. Thanks
__________________
Mexico - Dream, Discover, Ride
Hotel Los Arcos, Northern Sonora's Motorcycle Haven
http://www.losarcossonora.com
Turkeycreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 08:23 AM   #18608
Turkeycreek
Gringo Viejo
 
Turkeycreek's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2010
Location: Banámichi, Sonora, Mexico
Oddometer: 1,002
Traditional Thanksgiving dinner at el Hotel. About 25 people, some of them hotel guests, the rest friends from Tucson and our neighbors here n Banamichi. I resisted the temptation to put green chiles in the onion and sage stuffing. Fellow inmate Bisbonion and his SO were here and provided much needed assistance. Thanksgiving number 6 in Mexico was mellow and very enjoyable. Watching the gringos, one lone Canadian, a Costa Rican and the Mexicanos interact was fun. Several bi-lingual people around the table and some not. But every one was able to communicate at the basic level level of sharing a meal and sharing friendship on a special day. I'm smiling just thinking about it. I hope you all had a good one.
__________________
Mexico - Dream, Discover, Ride
Hotel Los Arcos, Northern Sonora's Motorcycle Haven
http://www.losarcossonora.com

Turkeycreek screwed with this post 11-29-2013 at 08:29 AM
Turkeycreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 09:07 AM   #18609
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer
 
MikeMike's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Oddometer: 4,149
Hey, SR, have a look for the story about the Knight's Templar drug cartel getting into the iron ore market.
Very interesting.
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 09:12 AM   #18610
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso
 
tricepilot's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: San Antonio
Oddometer: 8,407
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkeycreek View Post
Traditional Thanksgiving dinner at el Hotel. About 25 people, some of them hotel guests, the rest friends from Tucson and our neighbors here n Banamichi.
It must have been so much fun to include your Banámichi neighbors
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 09:34 AM   #18611
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man
 
SchizzMan's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: Austin, Tx.
Oddometer: 8,100
Very nice, Bob. Thanks for sharing.

Here's one old lady who will never spend the holidays alone:



Hope everyone is enjoying this time.

__________________
'14 R1200GSA "Der WasserNoggin", '14 KTM 350 XCF-W (plated), '14 S1000RR-HP4

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 10:00 AM   #18612
noshoes
soñando con México
 
noshoes's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Location: Arizona
Oddometer: 2,122
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkeycreek View Post
Traditional Thanksgiving dinner at el Hotel. ..... I resisted the temptation to put green chiles in the onion and sage stuffing....
I put green chilis in the pumpkins pies....so good...

__________________
"Buen dia ., Buen camino..." - Bato
noshoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 10:06 AM   #18613
Jick Magger
Exile on Main Street
 
Jick Magger's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: Okanagan Valley BC, Canada/Scottsdale, Arizona
Oddometer: 842
+1 TricePilot A very nice story. I am sure the act of giving only served to make your family appreciate and reflect on how fortunate they are and how much of a difference they made yesterday.

I am a lover of Ted Talks. I just recently re watched this talk about giving. Its only 10 minutes but insightful. Here is the link.
http://embed.ted.com/talks/michael_n...happiness.html
__________________
"Blessed are the Cheesemakers"


RIde Report http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...t=Rolling+jick
Jick Magger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 12:46 PM   #18614
SR
Beastly Adventurer
 
SR's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Western, Mexico
Oddometer: 1,014
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMike View Post
Hey, SR, have a look for the story about the Knight's Templar drug cartel getting into the iron ore market.
Very interesting.
I have not seen that, but it would not surprise me. Michoacan is such a mess.
SR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 03:41 PM   #18615
Arte OP
Pata de Perro
 
Arte's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: McAllen TX, MEXICO
Oddometer: 1,545
Quote:
Originally Posted by SR View Post


No llevamos la Blindada, but we did make it from Durango to the Zona Dorada in Mazatlan in 2 hours 45 minutes on the new highway in the cage driving safe family speeds. It used to be a solid 5.5 hour drive (in the cage) on a very dangerous road.

Happy Thanksgiving Ya'll
These are good news, my wife promised me she would never return to Mazatlan with me thru the hell road and 5+ hrs... unless a new straight road would be built or by air if I wanted to go earlier....

Mazatlan is my favorite México beach, since is were I used to go from Dgo as hitchiker when I was in highschool.

happy holiday!
__________________

" If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain and bitter; for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself " - Max Ehrmann
Chiapas Ride 2013
Arte is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 02:39 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014