both
'99 ZX9R - because I like the other one so much
'08 ZZR600 minty
steveWFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 09:14 PM   #17
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 7,079
I much prefer riding dirt most of the time. There's often better scenery and fewer crowds. Even riding curves in the mountains on pavement can only be done to a certain level before Johnny Law starts giving you a hard time.

There are also a lot of knuckleheads on the roads around here. People offroad tend to be friendlier.
Some are guard dogs of the flock. Some herders, search/rescue, or companions. We Devildogs are those, and also retrievers. Hell is our blazing dogpark, our frigid swimming hole. The fallen are our tennis balls. We don't leave the fallen behind, even if the master has to bring them home for us. Semper Fi, my friends.
Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 04:25 AM   #18
Bucho
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,829
I still enjoy street riding but I prefer offroad. I would even sell my street bike with out too much protest if my wife wanted me to quit commuting on the bike.

My favorite is single track, especially the slower/tighter more technical stuff.
Bucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 07:23 AM   #19
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,376
You just need the right bike.
Something light and lower powered, or a tw200.

After a bad crash, I sold the heavy tall 650 and had a tw200, and did not fall, sold that and got an old xt200, and have not been down on that yet.

Light, enough suspension to have fun, takes a while to get up to speed so it keeps me out of trouble, plus its fun wringing its little neck for all its worth.

I would not say I came close to falling yet, but did hit a tree last time out, at 1 mph, with my front wheel.

That is the kind of crash I can deal with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by corndog67 View Post
Riding a lot of off road definitely makes you better street rider. I truly like riding dirt bikes, but I don't bounce as well as I used to, nor do I heal as fast. So for right now, its street only, but I'm trying to get a KX deal worked out.
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 04:28 PM   #20
Wraith Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,297
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrowhawk View Post
Off road, which by my definition includes primitive"roads". I can ride as fast as I want without a concern for LEO. The only rules to follow are the rules of physics.
Street, because I can ride as fast as I want without a concern for LEO. The only rules to follow are the rules of physics.
OffRoad they're trying to fine you just for being there.
Old 11-19-2013, 04:37 PM   #21
LittleRedToyota
Yinzer

Oddometer: 2,232
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraith Rider View Post
OffRoad they're trying to fine you just for being there.
that sucks man. glad i don't live in germany, i guess.

a friend of a friend visited us from germany a couple of years ago. he likes to ride dirt bikes, so i offered to take him riding. we hopped on my plated dirt bikes and rode to the local trails. he was blown away that we could just ride there, turn off the road and onto the trails and just ride through the woods all day.

i felt bad for him having to return to a world where you cannot do that...

(of course, every place has its pros and cons.)
LittleRedToyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 05:45 PM   #22
KustomizingKid
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 679
I'm phasing out of street riding and into dirt... Every time I got on my Sportbike I was just watching for cops, cops, cops, cops.

Dirt is fantastic, just ride.
Old 11-19-2013, 07:16 PM   #23
Aj Mick
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 583
Whatever takes me where I want to go

I ride to get around…… on or off road, if it goes where I want to go, it's fine by me. When I was in England I found some handy "green lane" short-cuts.

That being said, the more "upgraded" a road is the more I tend to avoid it. B roads, gravel, dirt, and no roads are more common in places that interest me.
Old 11-28-2013, 10:40 AM   #24
markk53
jack of all trades...

Oddometer: 8,154
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrowhawk View Post
Off road, which by my definition includes primitive"roads". I can ride as fast as I want without a concern for LEO. The only rules to follow are the rules of physics. I can camp without listening to loud groups or generators.

ON board with that! I prefer a good dirt/gravel road or groomed trail over pavement for the most part. With a lighter bike I would also include single track in general. There are a number of legal off road areas in eastern Ohio, like the Wayne National Forrest out of Nelsonville and the AEP recreation area near Coshocton Ohio.

But a good twisting back road is great ala supermoto type play. I'm getting further away from pure road bikes as I get older...

Mark - klx678
95 KLX650C w/Vulcan piston bigbore, Now an 09 KLX250S, selling my 90 Zephyr 550
markk53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 11:21 AM   #25
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,084
I enjoy both,

Everything from downtown Seattle, to forgotten logging roads up in the mountains, and everything in between. Each has their rewards and challenges, but nothing that I don't enjoy.

As dakez says, "if you're riding angry, you're doing it wrong", to that I'll add, "if you don't enjoy your ride, you're doing it wrong", because there is no such thing as a "bad" ride. Keeping that in mind, I find I don't have the issues some do with other motorists or LE. Reasonable expectations, respect for others, and accepting the reality of the moment goes a long way.

It's all good.
Old 11-28-2013, 11:25 AM   #26
chippertheripper
motorcycle junkie

Oddometer: 2,141
Both, obviously.
I'm pretty sure I've turned the corner past riding like an asshat on the street, so a woodsy weapon, a capable commuter/traveler, and a track steed keep me entertained...for now.
Originally Posted by Night Falcon View Post
Life is too short to crash on a bike you don't respect
chippertheripper is offline   Reply With Quote