ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-28-2013, 03:42 AM   #20701
PWRCRZR
Grumpy Old Bastard
 
PWRCRZR's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Mid-Coast Maine
Oddometer: 7,453
Quote:
Originally Posted by k7tbt View Post
Picked up my new 2013 Super Tenere yesterday. Nice day for this time of the year in Northwest Washington so took it out for a spin, 100+ miles. Big compared to my KLR but see that the KLR is not going to get much use anymore.
I made the switch last year from a KLR/DL 1000 combo to a Tenere. No regrets for sure!

At first the Tenere seemed big compared to the KLR but after the first weekend of riding around I realized even though it was bigger it was much better. Every time I go off pavement with the S10 I get even more comfortable with it. There are probably a few nasty places I have taken the KLR that I may not tackle with the S10 but they are very few.

Trust be save yourself some money and put that KLR up for sale now before it depreciates from neglect
__________________
However, I am not complaining because I know that I am probably better today then I will be tomorrow, so I try and enjoy every day as it comes, and stay determined to live well and be appreciative of what I still can do..."Stromsurfer"
PWRCRZR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 08:48 AM   #20702
HBL
Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: Minnesota
Oddometer: 292
I am looking to replace the KLR next season, and the S10 is at the top of the wish list. The one nagging question/concern I have is if I will be able to pick it up if (when) I drop it while riding solo. I can manage the KLR and it is known to be top heavy. I have also read that the S10 carry’s its weight lower, so would that help to offset some of the extra 150 lbs.? Has anyone here actually picked up both bikes that could comment on the difference?
HBL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 08:53 AM   #20703
jwdub
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Oddometer: 574
I recently tipped over in my driveway when the side stand wasn't fully down and locked. Back into the bike, one hand on the end of the handlebar and the other at the luggage rack. With your butt at the seat, push back into the bike. You'll have it upright in a jiffy. While I'm 6'2" and 220 or so, I'm also 68. There are also some Youtube videos of people picking the Tenere' up.
jwdub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 10:14 AM   #20704
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer
 
pluric's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: Salt Lake
Oddometer: 16,193
Quote:
Originally Posted by HBL View Post
I am looking to replace the KLR next season, and the S10 is at the top of the wish list. The one nagging question/concern I have is if I will be able to pick it up if (when) I drop it while riding solo. I can manage the KLR and it is known to be top heavy. I have also read that the S10 carry’s its weight lower, so would that help to offset some of the extra 150 lbs.? Has anyone here actually picked up both bikes that could comment on the difference?
This is our own Git Ray in the video. He currently has the record for the most overloaded
Tenere on the planet.



pluric is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 10:50 AM   #20705
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2003
Location: Swellvue, WA
Oddometer: 10,343
Quote:
Originally Posted by HBL View Post
I am looking to replace the KLR next season, and the S10 is at the top of the wish list. The one nagging question/concern I have is if I will be able to pick it up if (when) I drop it while riding solo. I can manage the KLR and it is known to be top heavy. I have also read that the S10 carry’s its weight lower, so would that help to offset some of the extra 150 lbs.?
Virtually any bike can be picked up with with the right techniques, but I don't think there is any doubt the S10 will be considerably more difficult to right than a KLR. If you're near your physical limits with the KLR, you may be over the limit with the S10. And I'm not a big believer that the S10 has any significant low-CG advantage over other comparable bikes - it's a tall DOHC parallel-twin with a high-mounted radiator and battery.

If you feel you need to address this concern, my suggestion is that you look at the 650-800cc adventure twins.... Wee, F800GS, Versys, etc. Or the small Tiger. Or, if your off-road needs are modest, even the CB500X which is about the same weight as your KLR, but is a lot nicer bike for highway cruising.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 10:56 AM   #20706
HBL
Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: Minnesota
Oddometer: 292
He picked that thing up like it was a toy Okay, I should be fine. Time to start shopping
HBL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 11:32 AM   #20707
RED CAT
Bumpy Backroader
 
RED CAT's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2005
Location: Western Canada
Oddometer: 2,852
He Also!

Installs tires with his bare hands.
RED CAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 11:38 AM   #20708
HBL
Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: Minnesota
Oddometer: 292
Thanks. Off-road ambitions for this bike would be relatively modest, gravel and fire roads. After a few weekends home alone this past summer, the wife is suddenly interested in riding along. I am 6'3" and 210 lbs., so the KLR feels pretty cramped when she climbs on board. I want to keep that upright riding position and leg room, and the S10 seems to provide that where many other bikes have less seat to peg distance. Picking the thing up is my only concern, so probably best to just stop at the dealer to get a better feel for the bike.

Thanks again for the comments
HBL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 11:50 AM   #20709
snakebitten
Small Town Hick
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: Coastal Texas
Oddometer: 951
Quote:
Originally Posted by RED CAT View Post
Installs tires with his bare hands.
He is an amazing fella, ain't he?

He has no idea how many things I think I can do now because "Ray did it". :)
__________________
**********************
XT1200Z BIGGEST Dirt Bike in the world
snakebitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 02:11 PM   #20710
Happy Snapper
GOMOB.
 
Happy Snapper's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: Brisbane, almost heaven!
Oddometer: 2,079
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjenn View Post
Virtually any bike can be picked up with with the right techniques, but I don't think there is any doubt the S10 will be considerably more difficult to right than a KLR. If you're near your physical limits with the KLR, you may be over the limit with the S10. And I'm not a big believer that the S10 has any significant low-CG advantage over other comparable bikes - it's a tall DOHC parallel-twin with a high-mounted radiator and battery.

If you feel you need to address this concern, my suggestion is that you look at the 650-800cc adventure twins.... Wee, F800GS, Versys, etc. Or the small Tiger. Or, if your off-road needs are modest, even the CB500X which is about the same weight as your KLR, but is a lot nicer bike for highway cruising.

- Mark
My switch from KLR to S10 surprised me at how mucho easier it is to pick up the S10 than the KLR. Thought it would be harder.... but not so!
__________________
Happy Snapper

Never trust atoms.... they make up everything!

Read my Blog: http://snapshotsfrommark.blogspot.com.au
Happy Snapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 02:34 PM   #20711
HBL
Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: Minnesota
Oddometer: 292
Thank you! Somewhere in the thousands of posts I have read, somebody made a similar comment in comparing the S10 to his Wee, so I was looking for some additional real life comparisons and confirmation. It didn't feel that bad to me when I took it off center but the dealer I visited wasn't excited about laying it down so I could pick it up. I'll try another dealer, but this gives me more confidence. My first reaction when I watched Git Ray's video was not a new found level of confidence, but rather a desire to avoid ever getting this guy mad at me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Snapper View Post
My switch from KLR to S10 surprised me at how mucho easier it is to pick up the S10 than the KLR. Thought it would be harder.... but not so!
HBL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 02:39 PM   #20712
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer
 
GrahamD's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Blue Mnts Ozstralia
Oddometer: 5,191
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjenn View Post
Virtually any bike can be picked up with with the right techniques, but I don't think there is any doubt the S10 will be considerably more difficult to right than a KLR.
Yes compare the two...





Way more fun with the smaller bike
__________________
"It's better to ride a boring bike than push an interesting one" ... Canuman

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 07:31 PM   #20713
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2003
Location: Swellvue, WA
Oddometer: 10,343
Quote:
Originally Posted by HBL View Post
Thank you! Somewhere in the thousands of posts I have read, somebody made a similar comment in comparing the S10 to his Wee, so I was looking for some additional real life comparisons and confirmation. It didn't feel that bad to me when I took it off center but the dealer I visited wasn't excited about laying it down so I could pick it up. I'll try another dealer, but this gives me more confidence. My first reaction when I watched Git Ray's video was not a new found level of confidence, but rather a desire to avoid ever getting this guy mad at me!
All I can say is use some common sense about this. If you really want to believe that is is easier to pick up a 575-lb bike vs. 430-lb bike, be my guest. As for first hand experiences, I've picked up my S10 a few times and owned a Wee for five years and did the same with it. As you'd expect, the 100-lb lighter Wee was easier.... by about what you'd expect with a 100-lb lighter bike. And I'd expect the KLR would feel... about 50-lbs lighter still.

Don't get me wrong.... the S10 carries its weight well and returns a lot of capability and comfort for the extra weight compared to a KLR. But it's a PITA hoisting it off the deck, and if you ride it off-road in some terrain, you can get the bike into situations (due to slippery conditions, off-camber, etc.) that righting it alone is essentially impossible.

I'm sure someone will now show a video of a 95-lb sopping-wet woman righting a Goldwing with one arm tied behind her back.

- Mark

markjenn screwed with this post 11-28-2013 at 07:41 PM
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 08:26 PM   #20714
Wreckchecker
Ungeneer to broked stuff.
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: Damascus, MD
Oddometer: 2,427
Quote:
Originally Posted by HBL View Post
Thanks. Off-road ambitions for this bike would be relatively modest, gravel and fire roads. After a few weekends home alone this past summer, the wife is suddenly interested in riding along. I am 6'3" and 210 lbs., so the KLR feels pretty cramped when she climbs on board. I want to keep that upright riding position and leg room, and the S10 seems to provide that where many other bikes have less seat to peg distance. Picking the thing up is my only concern, so probably best to just stop at the dealer to get a better feel for the bike.

Thanks again for the comments
Your wife is probably going to really like the Tenere's pillion seat. It's big and fairly flat.
__________________
Super Tenere & WR250R, AMA, IBA
Wreckchecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 01:27 AM   #20715
McBoab
Fast side of farty
 
McBoab's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2003
Location: NE England
Oddometer: 276
I dumped my S10 (left the disk lock on ) and it is definitely not a hard beast to pick up . it was far easier than my previous XT660Z as the S10 does carry its weight low so its easier to lever up onto its tyres. If however it was inverted ie top end lower than wheels or needed a vertical lift then the dead weight would be a back breaker.
__________________
blah
McBoab is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 09:42 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014