Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-28-2013, 10:28 AM   #19066
RonPogi
Adventurer

Oddometer: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPX View Post
Is anyone using Ride-On tire sealant, or Slime? Any feedback on using it?

I am not thrilled at the thought of having a flat tire on the tubed 800XC, so anything that I can do to help prevent one, I'm interested in!
I'm using ride-on of my two bikes harley davidson tubeless and tiger 800xc. Since I used this to my bikes I feel more comfortable,balance, speeding @ 90-95 mph no vibration at all. Usually my harley vibrates @75mph without ride-on. If I were you, go ahead use ride-on.
RonPogi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 01:25 PM   #19067
elan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by klinquist View Post
Jeez. Guess I ride harder than y'all :). I have great twisties and my bike sees redline often. A tank where I only get 30mpg isn't unheard of.

Next some Karoo3s will be installed to help me tackle some dirt roads in Death Valley in Jan.
Yeah, that's the opposite of where I live (Florida). Flat straight roads and a lot of commuting miles. I don't see a lot of high RPMs or fast starts that much either. I save that for the motard.
elan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 08:49 PM   #19068
marloweluke
The Flying Dutchman

Oddometer: 149
Roadie tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
Currently close to 13k miles on mine. Don't even think I'm hitting wear bars yet - close though. Researching which tires I want next (roadie)
I've been happy with the Michelin PR3's that I've tried, 2 rears. Also Conti Road Attack's have been great, little less mileage than the PR3's. I don't take my Roadie off road now that I have a Suzuki DR650 for that. I have a set of Bridgestones BT-23 in the basement ready to go but haven't tried them yet. They now they have the T-30's out to replace them. Can't go wrong with any of these really.
Old 11-29-2013, 08:27 AM   #19069
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,284
Quote:
Originally Posted by marloweluke View Post
I've been happy with the Michelin PR3's that I've tried, 2 rears. Also Conti Road Attack's have been great, little less mileage than the PR3's. I don't take my Roadie off road now that I have a Suzuki DR650 for that. I have a set of Bridgestones BT-23 in the basement ready to go but haven't tried them yet. They now they have the T-30's out to replace them. Can't go wrong with any of these really.
I'll will be curious to hear your thoughts, once the Bridgestones are mounted, compared to the others.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 09:25 AM   #19070
KildareMan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 637
Any other tyre is going to have to be really impressive after the PR3s They really are a great road tyre.
KildareMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 03:56 PM   #19071
akaDigger
Amateur Adventurer

Oddometer: 428
Quote:
Originally Posted by klinquist View Post
OEM rear tire lasted 3900mi :). Not bad.

Once the "Happy" part is worn off, what good are they. My OEM tires are squaring with only 2000 miles. They'll never make it to Belize and back next month so they are being replaced before the trip with new Conti Trail Attacks.
akaDigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 10:19 PM   #19072
TexaNate
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 390
Pretty nice boaterbike!

I'm home for Thanksgiving and I got to take my dad's barely-broken-in 2013 800 XC out for a mix of slab and dirt today. We rode from Sugar Land out to the edge of Hill Country - this thing eats up miles a lot better than my 250!

I'm amazed he trusted me with it! (to be honest he was probably second-guessing his trust during that water crossing, but everything went OK)

LOVE that triple - only problem now is I want a big bike someday!

He's thinking of putting on Explorer bars because he finds the stockers too "flat" (not enough bend). Bar risers would also be nice. I'm worried either of those mods would upset the harmonic balance of the bars and cause them to vibrate. It looks like I have a lot of reading to do in this thread - cheers all!
Old 11-30-2013, 05:24 PM   #19073
tdv
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 134
Nice!

I installed Explorer bars (also have rox risers with dampers) and have no issues with vibration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexaNate View Post
I'm home for Thanksgiving and I got to take my dad's barely-broken-in 2013 800 XC out for a mix of slab and dirt today. We rode from Sugar Land out to the edge of Hill Country - this thing eats up miles a lot better than my 250!

I'm amazed he trusted me with it! (to be honest he was probably second-guessing his trust during that water crossing, but everything went OK)

LOVE that triple - only problem now is I want a big bike someday!

He's thinking of putting on Explorer bars because he finds the stockers too "flat" (not enough bend). Bar risers would also be nice. I'm worried either of those mods would upset the harmonic balance of the bars and cause them to vibrate. It looks like I have a lot of reading to do in this thread - cheers all!
Old 11-30-2013, 09:40 PM   #19074
TexaNate
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdv View Post
Nice!

I installed Explorer bars (also have rox risers with dampers) and have no issues with vibration.
Thanks for the input! Do you use the Explorer roadie or XC bars? Are they even different? A quick look suggests the two have different BikeBandit part numbers but I can't be sure - Google results are vague. If anything, I expect the Explorer XC bars to be wider than the roadie's.

I'm going to get the Explorer bars first and maybe put the risers on later. For the record, I like the bend of the stock bars but I just found them too low to stand up for extended periods (I'm 6'2.5 and I have shorty T-rex arms). My dad finds the height OK-ish but he hates the stock bend and it's his bike, so he calls the shots!

I was really impressed with how smooth the bike felt rolling over washboard gravel, so all-day standing probably isn't necessary unless one is continuously going over something rougher or more technical. Maybe I'll get him those anti-vibe risers as a Christmas present and shame him into putting them on!

If vibrations are an issue at any point, I might look into Bueller's insight on engine mounts but this bike is so smooth compared to anything else I've ever ridden! If it ain't broke, don't go pokin' around with your engine mount bolts.
Old 11-30-2013, 09:50 PM   #19075
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 5,074
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexaNate View Post
compared to anything else I've ever ridden! If it ain't broke, don't go pokin' around with your engine mount bolts.
Indeed it is smooth. However the left lower motormount bolt has an adjustable shim to take up all space between the frame mounting tangs and the engine mount casting. Many have been found to be loose and as a result a little more buzziness is felt. It's been addressed elsewhere in the tiger threads.

A lot of riders have preferred the explorer bars. And for your height I imagine the stock bar height might be a bit low.
browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 10:52 PM   #19076
TexaNate
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post
Indeed it is smooth. However the left lower motormount bolt has an adjustable shim to take up all space between the frame mounting tangs and the engine mount casting. Many have been found to be loose and as a result a little more buzziness is felt. It's been addressed elsewhere in the tiger threads.

A lot of riders have preferred the explorer bars. And for your height I imagine the stock bar height might be a bit low.
Indeed, that's what I linked to in my previous post (the fix is here, just in case anyone else is looking for it)
Old 12-01-2013, 03:54 AM   #19077
becsta
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 118
Sold my Scrambler today. Tiger shopping here I come.

Sent from my GT-N5120 using Tapatalk 4
Old 12-01-2013, 04:24 AM   #19078
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,610
Quote:
Originally Posted by becsta View Post
You'll find the Tiger much more capable in all areas.
Old 12-01-2013, 10:35 AM   #19079
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 5,077
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktiger View Post
You'll find the Tiger much more capable in all areas.
+100 I demoed a Scram once and it was the second most disappointing motorcycle ride of my life. First place belongs to my uncle's Harley.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 10:58 PM   #19080
BryanCO
CO Rider

Oddometer: 453
Quote:
Originally Posted by becsta View Post

Sent from my GT-N5120 using Tapatalk 4
Awesome. Have fun!
BryanCO is offline   Reply With Quote