Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-27-2013, 12:30 PM   #19111
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,807
Quote:
Originally Posted by klinquist View Post
OEM rear tire lasted 3900mi :). Not bad.

Plenty of life left in that
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 12:54 PM   #19112
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 4,192
Quote:
I only got 10,000 more than that out of mine.
swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 05:07 PM   #19113
BryanCO
CO Rider

Oddometer: 393
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankee Dog View Post
+2 on the Mayers. I wouldn't consider anything else. Ok, maybe a Russel, but the Mayer is cheaper
FYI - Rick is running a Black Friday sale -- $100 off all seats. Custom front seat and rear covered to match for $219 plus $35 for shipping. I had leather for my last Mayer seat but the vinyl is such a great deal....
BryanCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 07:25 AM   #19114
elan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer View Post
I only got 10,000 more than that out of mine.
Currently close to 13k miles on mine. Don't even think I'm hitting wear bars yet - close though. Researching which tires I want next (roadie)
elan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 07:31 AM   #19115
klinquist
übergeek

Oddometer: 1,062
Triumph Tiger 800

Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
Currently close to 13k miles on mine. Don't even think I'm hitting wear bars yet - close though. Researching which tires I want next (roadie)
Jeez. Guess I ride harder than y'all :). I have great twisties and my bike sees redline often. A tank where I only get 30mpg isn't unheard of.

Next some Karoo3s will be installed to help me tackle some dirt roads in Death Valley in Jan.

klinquist screwed with this post 11-28-2013 at 07:52 AM
klinquist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 08:23 AM   #19116
live2ridetahoe
RN

Oddometer: 1,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPX View Post
Is anyone using Ride-On tire sealant, or Slime? Any feedback on using it?

I am not thrilled at the thought of having a flat tire on the tubed 800XC, so anything that I can do to help prevent one, I'm interested in!
My bike rode like crap after putting Slime in the tubes. But you don't have to believe me. WTF do I know? Go ahead and try it. Just remember I told you so...

JG
live2ridetahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 09:28 AM   #19117
RonPogi
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPX View Post
Is anyone using Ride-On tire sealant, or Slime? Any feedback on using it?

I am not thrilled at the thought of having a flat tire on the tubed 800XC, so anything that I can do to help prevent one, I'm interested in!
I'm using ride-on of my two bikes harley davidson tubeless and tiger 800xc. Since I used this to my bikes I feel more comfortable,balance, speeding @ 90-95 mph no vibration at all. Usually my harley vibrates @75mph without ride-on. If I were you, go ahead use ride-on.
RonPogi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 12:25 PM   #19118
elan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 127
Quote:
Jeez. Guess I ride harder than y'all :). I have great twisties and my bike sees redline often. A tank where I only get 30mpg isn't unheard of.

Next some Karoo3s will be installed to help me tackle some dirt roads in Death Valley in Jan.
Yeah, that's the opposite of where I live (Florida). Flat straight roads and a lot of commuting miles. I don't see a lot of high RPMs or fast starts that much either. I save that for the motard.
elan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 07:49 PM   #19119
marloweluke
The Flying Dutchman

Oddometer: 149
Roadie tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
I've been happy with the Michelin PR3's that I've tried, 2 rears. Also Conti Road Attack's have been great, little less mileage than the PR3's. I don't take my Roadie off road now that I have a Suzuki DR650 for that. I have a set of Bridgestones BT-23 in the basement ready to go but haven't tried them yet. They now they have the T-30's out to replace them. Can't go wrong with any of these really.
Old 11-29-2013, 07:27 AM   #19120
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,170
Quote:
Originally Posted by marloweluke View Post
I've been happy with the Michelin PR3's that I've tried, 2 rears. Also Conti Road Attack's have been great, little less mileage than the PR3's. I don't take my Roadie off road now that I have a Suzuki DR650 for that. I have a set of Bridgestones BT-23 in the basement ready to go but haven't tried them yet. They now they have the T-30's out to replace them. Can't go wrong with any of these really.
I'll will be curious to hear your thoughts, once the Bridgestones are mounted, compared to the others.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 08:25 AM   #19121
KildareMan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 614
Any other tyre is going to have to be really impressive after the PR3s They really are a great road tyre.
KildareMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 02:56 PM   #19122
akaDigger
Amateur Adventurer

Oddometer: 399
Quote:

Once the "Happy" part is worn off, what good are they. My OEM tires are squaring with only 2000 miles. They'll never make it to Belize and back next month so they are being replaced before the trip with new Conti Trail Attacks.

Baja http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=863001
Oaxaca http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=866523
akaDigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 09:19 PM   #19123
TexaNate
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 384
Pretty nice boaterbike!

I'm home for Thanksgiving and I got to take my dad's barely-broken-in 2013 800 XC out for a mix of slab and dirt today. We rode from Sugar Land out to the edge of Hill Country - this thing eats up miles a lot better than my 250!

I'm amazed he trusted me with it! (to be honest he was probably second-guessing his trust during that water crossing, but everything went OK)

LOVE that triple - only problem now is I want a big bike someday!

He's thinking of putting on Explorer bars because he finds the stockers too "flat" (not enough bend). Bar risers would also be nice. I'm worried either of those mods would upset the harmonic balance of the bars and cause them to vibrate. It looks like I have a lot of reading to do in this thread - cheers all!
Old 11-30-2013, 04:24 PM   #19124
tdv
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 133
Nice!

I installed Explorer bars (also have rox risers with dampers) and have no issues with vibration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexaNate View Post
I'm home for Thanksgiving and I got to take my dad's barely-broken-in 2013 800 XC out for a mix of slab and dirt today. We rode from Sugar Land out to the edge of Hill Country - this thing eats up miles a lot better than my 250!

I'm amazed he trusted me with it! (to be honest he was probably second-guessing his trust during that water crossing, but everything went OK)

LOVE that triple - only problem now is I want a big bike someday!

He's thinking of putting on Explorer bars because he finds the stockers too "flat" (not enough bend). Bar risers would also be nice. I'm worried either of those mods would upset the harmonic balance of the bars and cause them to vibrate. It looks like I have a lot of reading to do in this thread - cheers all!
Old 11-30-2013, 08:40 PM   #19125
TexaNate
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdv View Post
Nice!

I installed Explorer bars (also have rox risers with dampers) and have no issues with vibration.
Thanks for the input! Do you use the Explorer roadie or XC bars? Are they even different? A quick look suggests the two have different BikeBandit part numbers but I can't be sure - Google results are vague. If anything, I expect the Explorer XC bars to be wider than the roadie's.

I'm going to get the Explorer bars first and maybe put the risers on later. For the record, I like the bend of the stock bars but I just found them too low to stand up for extended periods (I'm 6'2.5 and I have shorty T-rex arms). My dad finds the height OK-ish but he hates the stock bend and it's his bike, so he calls the shots!

I was really impressed with how smooth the bike felt rolling over washboard gravel, so all-day standing probably isn't necessary unless one is continuously going over something rougher or more technical. Maybe I'll get him those anti-vibe risers as a Christmas present and shame him into putting them on!

If vibrations are an issue at any point, I might look into Bueller's insight on engine mounts but this bike is so smooth compared to anything else I've ever ridden! If it ain't broke, don't go pokin' around with your engine mount bolts.