ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-28-2013, 06:42 AM   #1111
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater
 
RideFreak's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: County Lockup, NM
Oddometer: 5,430
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakebird View Post
Emissions is a Fed thing that different states regulate differently when doing a conversion from OHV to street legal. Colorado does not inspect motorcycles for emissions on any level.
In California, once a dirt bike - always a dirt bike, and they use emissions as one reason to eliminate (since 2004) the possibility of plating a dirt bike.

In Colorado, the reason it's essential the MSO or Bill of Sale has "for off road use only" on it, is to verify the vehicle has never been titled, so there's no requirement to do a title search to see if the machine had ever been street legal before. We are blessed with a very relaxed set of rules to comply with to make an offroad vehicle street legal (no speedo, turn signals, etc req'd).


new 2003 300 EXC, a bike I should never have let go of.




2003 250 EXC I just bought to fix that mistake.

Nice bike Blake!
RideFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 09:51 AM   #1112
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater
 
RideFreak's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: County Lockup, NM
Oddometer: 5,430
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennR View Post
Maybe I will check one out. There's an 05' for $2300 about an hour from here, if it hasn't sold yet.

Does an 05' have the adjustment thing that will tame it down some, till I get used to it?
I ride with a friend who has an '05 and it's a great bike, he just replaced the sparkplug this year for the first time and it gets ridden. There's differences of course but the older 300s are still very good bikes. The powerband can be adjusted like the newer models.

I don't consider the estart weight penalty to be a big issue, last time I bought a battery I got a Turntech which is pretty light so most of the estart's weight is now down low where it isn't as noticeable.
RideFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 10:16 AM   #1113
SaharaJp99
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: Nunn
Oddometer: 643
Quote:
Originally Posted by RideFreak View Post
I ride with a friend who has an '05 and it's a great bike, he just replaced the sparkplug this year for the first time and it gets ridden. There's differences of course but the older 300s are still very good bikes. The powerband can be adjusted like the newer models.

I don't consider the estart weight penalty to be a big issue, last time I bought a battery I got a Turntech which is pretty light so most of the estart's weight is now down low where it isn't as noticeable.
I have an '05 and I love it. Once warm it starts 1st kick every time and 3rd kick when cold, like clockwork. With the auto clutch the no estart isn't a big deal to me as it never stalls. Maybe someday I'll upgrade to a newer one but I have mine set up exactly how I like it and it is my most favorite bike I have ever owned.
SaharaJp99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 10:46 AM   #1114
DirtDad
Green Chile Guru
 
DirtDad's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: Albuquerque NM
Oddometer: 1,540
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaharaJp99 View Post
I have an '05 and I love it. Once warm it starts 1st kick every time and 3rd kick when cold, like clockwork. With the auto clutch the no estart isn't a big deal to me as it never stalls. Maybe someday I'll upgrade to a newer one but I have mine set up exactly how I like it and it is my most favorite bike I have ever owned.

I am the other guy with the 05 300EXC. I bought this bike brand new in
05. By far the best dirt bike I have owned to date. Upgraded the suspension, and gnarly pipe, new spark plug last year.

About to give it a make over this winter. Was thinking of getting a newer bike, but I have ridden (and owned) newer bikes and I can't say that the newer bikes would justify a $5000 + difference from my 300. If you like the bike, buy it and spend some money to get it sorted and ride that !!!!!.
__________________
Current rides:
2014 YZ250F 05 KTM300EXC 11 KLR65007KTM450EXC
04 GasGas 280, finally, my perfect stable.
DirtDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 02:01 AM   #1115
SteelJM1
Undercover KTM rider
 
SteelJM1's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: Tucson
Oddometer: 1,508
My 13 TE300 has been annoying me lately. Aside from the fact that i love the damn thing to death and it far surpasses my riding abilities but is gentle enough to not try to kill me for it. But the e start has been kaputt since 10 hours in (at 30 now) and it seems that my countershaft seal has been leaking this whole time. As far as i can tell, the bendix is what needs to be replaced, but i hesitate handig over the money for a replacement if it's just going to break again. How KTM managed to screw up a bendox design is beyond me. As far as the cs seal, i dunno. Probably should expect to replace this a lot eh?

Sent from my Tandy 1000 mobile using DOS
SteelJM1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 03:22 AM   #1116
halmc
Turkey T*urd
 
halmc's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: Tallahassee, Florida -- home of good ideas
Oddometer: 1,990
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelJM1 View Post
My 13 TE300 has been annoying me lately. Aside from the fact that i love the damn thing to death and it far surpasses my riding abilities but is gentle enough to not try to kill me for it. But the e start has been kaputt since 10 hours in (at 30 now) and it seems that my countershaft seal has been leaking this whole time. As far as i can tell, the bendix is what needs to be replaced, but i hesitate handig over the money for a replacement if it's just going to break again. How KTM managed to screw up a bendox design is beyond me. As far as the cs seal, i dunno. Probably should expect to replace this a lot eh?

Sent from my Tandy 1000 mobile using DOS
A worthwhile read for you, I think: http://ktmtalk.com//index.php?showtopic=470619&hl=

I wrestled with the 350 watt starter on my friend's bike for a year, yada, yada, yada . . .

IMHO, KTM out of common decency, should have sent everyone with a magic button 300 a shiny new 410w starter. But then they should also send everyone with an orange bike a kick stand worthy of the name.
__________________
BMW R1200RT; BMW K1200RS; KTM 300 XCW; BMW F650GS Dakar; KTM 400 EXC; Honda Ascot

* * *

Always forgive your enemies, but never forget their names -- JFK
halmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 05:27 AM   #1117
Foot dragger
singletracker
 
Foot dragger's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: chico,just below rag dump(nor-cal)
Oddometer: 12,773
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelJM1 View Post
My 13 TE300 has been annoying me lately. Aside from the fact that i love the damn thing to death and it far surpasses my riding abilities but is gentle enough to not try to kill me for it. But the e start has been kaputt since 10 hours in (at 30 now) and it seems that my countershaft seal has been leaking this whole time. As far as i can tell, the bendix is what needs to be replaced, but i hesitate handig over the money for a replacement if it's just going to break again. How KTM managed to screw up a bendox design is beyond me. As far as the cs seal, i dunno. Probably should expect to replace this a lot eh?

Sent from my Tandy 1000 mobile using DOS
It sucks your CS seal leaks,but a KTM CS seal is no different then any other,Ive replaced an average of 1 per KTM Ive owned,and Ive replaced one on a DRZ,same bushing with a seal. Sometimes they leak.
Replace seal/bushing/o-ring and its about a half hour deal.

Its a dirtbike I work on it sometimes. If my e-starter breaks I'll fix that as well,Im hoping the 2014 lasts longer.

They DO have a 6 month warranty on KTM dirtbikes so if yours is new have the shop replace the seal/bendix.
__________________
Some bikes around at times

Foot dragger screwed with this post 11-29-2013 at 05:34 AM
Foot dragger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 05:32 AM   #1118
Foot dragger
singletracker
 
Foot dragger's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: chico,just below rag dump(nor-cal)
Oddometer: 12,773
Quote:
Originally Posted by halmc View Post
A worthwhile read for you, I think: http://ktmtalk.com//index.php?showtopic=470619&hl=

I wrestled with the 350 watt starter on my friend's bike for a year, yada, yada, yada . . .

IMHO, KTM out of common decency, should have sent everyone with a magic button 300 a shiny new 410w starter. But then they should also send everyone with an orange bike a kick stand worthy of the name.
if you use that kickstand like its strong enough to lean on to kick the bike,it will break right then.
Its a 1 lb alu kickstand. It will ONLY hold the bike up,nothing else.

Ive had 0 of them break on KTM's since 1996,broke a bolt on one once.
You just dont stress them hard. I use a tree when possible.

If its a loaded for camping 530 a stronger kickstand is needed.
__________________
Some bikes around at times
Foot dragger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 06:31 AM   #1119
Gordy
Team Listo
 
Gordy's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2001
Location: NM
Oddometer: 21,736
I just picked up a 350 Six Days and rode it a bit yesterday. Holey smokes, this is a nice bike!
As I get it broken in, I'll post up some comparisons to the 300- if you guys don't mind.
I think a lot of us are wondering how much this bike crosses over with our 300s

No...... Not selling the 300. I'm planning on keeping it for the super knar.
Gordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 07:37 AM   #1120
DirtDad
Green Chile Guru
 
DirtDad's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: Albuquerque NM
Oddometer: 1,540
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordy View Post
I just picked up a 350 Six Days and rode it a bit yesterday. Holey smokes, this is a nice bike!
As I get it broken in, I'll post up some comparisons to the 300- if you guys don't mind.
I think a lot of us are wondering how much this bike crosses over with our 300s

No...... Not selling the 300. I'm planning on keeping it for the super knar.

__________________
Current rides:
2014 YZ250F 05 KTM300EXC 11 KLR65007KTM450EXC
04 GasGas 280, finally, my perfect stable.
DirtDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 07:45 AM   #1121
renogeorge
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: Reno
Oddometer: 1,157
These starters are a little fussy.

I always start with the battery and connections. Problems there will make you think it is in the bendix or starter.

Second is cleaning and lubing the starter drive gears. I seal the bottom vent and run a new vent up to the air box--much cleaner. Some put oil in the stator case. I have tried this but don't recommend it.

Other problems can occur with the bushings for the bendix, intermediate/crownwheel gear, bendix failures.

Finally there are starter failures. The pre 2013 starters are undersized. Brush and armature failures are common. I have had mixed success rebuilding. The 2013 starters are worth the extra $.

Slavens Racing carries all the parts. KTMTalk has lots to read on the subject.

FWIW
__________________
KTMs--300, 518, 990
renogeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 07:51 AM   #1122
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater
 
RideFreak's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: County Lockup, NM
Oddometer: 5,430
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordy View Post
I'll post up some comparisons to the 300- if you guys don't mind.
Sorry but we do mind

JK, congrats on the new bike
RideFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 08:07 AM   #1123
halmc
Turkey T*urd
 
halmc's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: Tallahassee, Florida -- home of good ideas
Oddometer: 1,990
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger View Post
if you use that kickstand like its strong enough to lean on to kick the bike,it will break right then.
Its a 1 lb alu kickstand. It will ONLY hold the bike up,nothing else.

Ive had 0 of them break on KTM's since 1996,broke a bolt on one once.
You just dont stress them hard. I use a tree when possible.

If its a loaded for camping 530 a stronger kickstand is needed.
I don't buy KTM's to coddle 'em. The kickstand is pathetically out of keeping with the remainder of the brilliantly designed and executed machine; indeed, there are at least three aftermarket kickstands readily available for it. That sad fact doesn't speak especially convincingly to the stocker's adequacy; for that matter, neither does the considerable upgrade to the bikes that currently stand on show room floors. Without help.

In my view, KTM makes the best off-road bikes in the world; but that kickstand is like a pimple on Alizee's nose.


Yo, but to each his own.
__________________
BMW R1200RT; BMW K1200RS; KTM 300 XCW; BMW F650GS Dakar; KTM 400 EXC; Honda Ascot

* * *

Always forgive your enemies, but never forget their names -- JFK

halmc screwed with this post 11-29-2013 at 03:00 PM
halmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 08:32 AM   #1124
HellSickle
Scone Rider
 
HellSickle's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2005
Location: Fort Collins
Oddometer: 8,751
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelJM1 View Post
My 13 TE300 has been annoying me lately. Aside from the fact that i love the damn thing to death and it far surpasses my riding abilities but is gentle enough to not try to kill me for it. But the e start has been kaputt since 10 hours in (at 30 now) and it seems that my countershaft seal has been leaking this whole time. As far as i can tell, the bendix is what needs to be replaced, but i hesitate handig over the money for a replacement if it's just going to break again. How KTM managed to screw up a bendox design is beyond me. As far as the cs seal, i dunno. Probably should expect to replace this a lot eh?

Sent from my Tandy 1000 mobile using DOS
That is a common problem. It is usually the oring placed under the steel bushing. Be very careful that there is absolutely no dirt in there when you put a new oring in.
__________________
We don't stop riding because we get old, we get old because we stop riding.
"Wisdom is knowing what to do next, Skill is knowing how to do it, and Virtue is doing it"

HellSickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 09:30 PM   #1125
SteelJM1
Undercover KTM rider
 
SteelJM1's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: Tucson
Oddometer: 1,508
Quote:
Originally Posted by halmc View Post
A worthwhile read for you, I think: http://ktmtalk.com//index.php?showtopic=470619&hl=

I wrestled with the 350 watt starter on my friend's bike for a year, yada, yada, yada . . .

IMHO, KTM out of common decency, should have sent everyone with a magic button 300 a shiny new 410w starter. But then they should also send everyone with an orange bike a kick stand worthy of the name.
Well from reading through that thread, everyone's pointing towards the '13 starting assembly... which is great except my bike's a '13 as well. Unless it was more than just the frame that was taken from the '12 KTM's over to the '13 bergs.

As far as the CS seal, I've read where people but in a thicker cross section O-ring to keep the thing from leaking. I'm just not sure where to source said O-ring. I know it's not my chain being too tight, I run it loosey goosey (not too loose but my big 4 buddies always get worried that my chain is about to fall off.) Just a bit annoyed that it's leaking in the first place, seeing as how last weekend was the first time that area of the bike was introduced to mud and the like in the first place. Otherwise its been dusty, but otherwise clean air.
SteelJM1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 01:13 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014