Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-28-2013, 09:06 AM   #18601
BobLoblaw
Comfortably Numb

Oddometer: 1,284
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkeycreek View Post
I'm still not that mobile on my crashed knee so I won't promise pizza. Maybe left over turkey dinner. PM me.
Hi Tom, I just saw your full page ad in the Tubac Villager plus the nice article titled " A trip to Meico's Rio Sonora Valley" written by a local women.

I'll be by for a visit soon.
Old 11-28-2013, 09:13 AM   #18602
rockymountainoyster
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 968
Jetboil

Quote:
Originally Posted by bouldergeek View Post

When I am feeling extravagant, I will use the Jetboil French Press on the road. Guaranteed to filter out up to 50% of your coffee grounds, mas o menos.
Know what you mean about that one but it sure beats hell out of Nescafé (no es cafe)

Looking at Jick's motos I am not surprised at the espresso machine. The King of Farkle!
Old 11-28-2013, 09:15 AM   #18603
Jick Magger
Exile on Main Street

Oddometer: 749
Quote:
Originally Posted by bouldergeek View Post
Is that an Expobar?
Its a Rocket Giotto. The problem with a great machine is that to have very good coffee you also require a great grinder for consistent and adjustable grind. In my case a Mazzer Mini. For me i could justify by doing the math. I buy a pound of coffee a week for $16. Wife and i would purchase probably 14-22 coffees per week at shops
If we didn't have the home machine. At $3 x 20(week) x 52 = $3120/year
I get quality every time I pull a shot (or i pour it down the sink) unlike say Starbucks with their automatic machines and no barista expertise.
When i was in Mexico i had been riding for hours in the morning and kept delaying a stop for breakfast. I hadn't had a coffee all morning and was severely withdrawing. This family made me a nice breakfast but put down a cup of hot water and a jar of instant Nescafe. I just chuckled and made myself a cup… when in Rome..

RIde Report http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...t=Rolling+jick
Jick Magger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 09:21 AM   #18604
rockymountainoyster
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 968
Tubac

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLoblaw View Post
OK I'm now in TubacAZ for the winter. And yes, the older I get the faster I was.

I'm riding the Blue and White version of Jick's AZ BMW.
What the heck are you doing in Tubac?

My ride is a Blue and White, 2001 1150GS. Pictured here somewhere downrange from Nuevo Casas Grandes.
Old 11-28-2013, 11:56 AM   #18605
BobLoblaw
Comfortably Numb

Oddometer: 1,284
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockymountainoyster View Post
What the heck are you doing in Tubac?

My ride is a Blue and White, 2001 1150GS. Pictured here somewhere downrange from Nuevo Casas Grandes.
Mine is also a 2001. 80000 miles and so far so good, except for the broken shock last year, the result of hitting a tope at 60mph. Two weeks later 3 hours east of Hermosillo the shock broke in half.

I'm living in Tubac for the winter. Can no longer tolerate 4-5 months of the PNW rain
Old 11-28-2013, 12:16 PM   #18606
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 7,804
MOTOHANK and his 500,000 mile 1150 GS

Hank Arriazola, my wrench from Dilley, Texas, had 420k on his bike before the start of his Texas to TDF ride a few years ago.

The bike is at about half a million miles as of today - and still going strong

The secret: he rotates the air between the front and back tires
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 06:06 AM   #18607
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

I trust everybody's Thanksgiving saw a day with tables filled with good food and time for reflection. I expect many of you moto heads are at motorcycle stores today chasing Black Friday deals on new heated gloves or a new helmet

A quick story:

For Thanksgiving morning, Tricedaughter signed up to deliver turkey dinners to shut-ins in downtown via a San Antonio organization. At the last moment I and Tricedaughter #2 decided to go along. We left the house in Tricewife's hands, our own turkey continuing to roast away in the oven.

When we got to the central pick up point to pick up the meals for distribution, it was exceptionally well organized, with supply trucks and lots of workers. TD#1 had signed up for one delivery run of 3 separate meals but the volunteers asked if we could do an additional run to ensure everybody who signed up to receive a meal got their dinner at mid day.

Off we went with 7 pre-assembled dinners in a cardboard tray covered in plastic, 7 miniature pumpkin pies, 7 place mats hand decorated by children, 7 apples, 7 holiday cards, and 7 miniature hand decorated Christmas trees.

Good thing we had a GPS. The maps were highlighted, but only on street names. Without a GPS you could be blocks off the target. With three pairs of eyes it wasn't to difficult to find the houses. We would park, gather up the delivery, go knock on the door, and wait. At each house, we would hear a frail voice. A smile greeted up each time the door opened. The person getting the meal was very senior, and in almost every case, physically very slowed down, and always alone. The alone part started to get to me. They all said thank you-thank you-thank you over and over again for coming to their house.

As I watched my daughters set up their place mat and set the food on it, and interact with the seniors, I was so proud of them for doing this but also for thinking of volunteering in the first place. It really changed the mood on Thanksgiving for me. Back at our own house by about 1 just as the turkey was ready and the table already set up while we were out, I was thinking about the lonely seniors, and thankful to have my family there to sit around the table.
Old 11-29-2013, 06:22 AM   #18608
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,788
Great job of parenting there on the part of Mr. and Mrs. Trice
Giving to help others.
You've got the priorities straight, but honestly, the marketing and gimmickery of Black Friday has overshadowed what was once your biggest and brightest family event holiday.
I've always celebrated on the second Monday in October, like all Canadians, far enough away from Christmas to avoid the doorbuster extravaganza madness.
Now, in place of people sitting around and enjoying each other's company and celebrating, you've got knife fights in parking lots, people getting beaten up over a TV, etc...
How far will it go? What's next?
Here is an example:

http://www.blackbeltmag.com/daily/ma...2071AEB6FDEEF4

How to carve a turkey with a samurai sword. Is that April Fool's come early or what?

You kept it real, Trice. When your kids teach their kids the same values and have them perform deeds of giving, they'll keep the real tradition alive and well.
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 07:15 AM   #18609
Turkeycreek
Gringo Viejo

Oddometer: 717
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
I trust everybody's Thanksgiving saw a day with tables filled with good food and time for reflection. I expect many of you moto heads are at motorcycle stores today chasing Black Friday deals on new heated gloves or a new helmet

A quick story:

For Thanksgiving morning, Tricedaughter signed up to deliver turkey dinners to shut-ins in downtown via a San Antonio organization. At the last moment I and Tricedaughter #2 decided to go along. We left the house in Tricewife's hands, our own turkey continuing to roast away in the oven.

When we got to the central pick up point to pick up the meals for distribution, it was exceptionally well organized, with supply trucks and lots of workers. TD#1 had signed up for one delivery run of 3 separate meals but the volunteers asked if we could do an additional run to ensure everybody who signed up to receive a meal got their dinner at mid day.

Off we went with 7 pre-assembled dinners in a cardboard tray covered in plastic, 7 miniature pumpkin pies, 7 place mats hand decorated by children, 7 apples, 7 holiday cards, and 7 miniature hand decorated Christmas trees.

Good thing we had a GPS. The maps were highlighted, but only on street names. Without a GPS you could be blocks off the target. With three pairs of eyes it wasn't to difficult to find the houses. We would park, gather up the delivery, go knock on the door, and wait. At each house, we would hear a frail voice. A smile greeted up each time the door opened. The person getting the meal was very senior, and in almost every case, physically very slowed down, and always alone. The alone part started to get to me. They all said thank you-thank you-thank you over and over again for coming to their house.

As I watched my daughters set up their place mat and set the food on it, and interact with the seniors, I was so proud of them for doing this but also for thinking of volunteering in the first place. It really changed the mood on Thanksgiving for me. Back at our own house by about 1 just as the turkey was ready and the table already set up while we were out, I was thinking about the lonely seniors, and thankful to have my family there to sit around the table.
A beautiful story Trice. Thanks
Turkeycreek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 07:23 AM   #18610
Turkeycreek
Gringo Viejo

Oddometer: 717
Traditional Thanksgiving dinner at el Hotel. About 25 people, some of them hotel guests, the rest friends from Tucson and our neighbors here n Banamichi. I resisted the temptation to put green chiles in the onion and sage stuffing. Fellow inmate Bisbonion and his SO were here and provided much needed assistance. Thanksgiving number 6 in Mexico was mellow and very enjoyable. Watching the gringos, one lone Canadian, a Costa Rican and the Mexicanos interact was fun. Several bi-lingual people around the table and some not. But every one was able to communicate at the basic level level of sharing a meal and sharing friendship on a special day. I'm smiling just thinking about it. I hope you all had a good one.

Turkeycreek screwed with this post 11-29-2013 at 07:29 AM
Turkeycreek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 08:07 AM   #18611
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,788
Hey, SR, have a look for the story about the Knight's Templar drug cartel getting into the iron ore market.
Very interesting.
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 08:12 AM   #18612
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
Traditional Thanksgiving dinner at el Hotel. About 25 people, some of them hotel guests, the rest friends from Tucson and our neighbors here n Banamichi.
It must have been so much fun to include your Banámichi neighbors
Old 11-29-2013, 08:34 AM   #18613
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 7,075
Very nice, Bob. Thanks for sharing.

Here's one old lady who will never spend the holidays alone:

Hope everyone is enjoying this time.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 09:00 AM   #18614
noshoes
Trying not to look

Oddometer: 2,036
Quote:
Traditional Thanksgiving dinner at el Hotel. ..... I resisted the temptation to put green chiles in the onion and sage stuffing....
I put green chilis in the pumpkins pies....so good...

Old 11-29-2013, 09:06 AM   #18615
Jick Magger
Exile on Main Street

Oddometer: 749
+1 TricePilot A very nice story. I am sure the act of giving only served to make your family appreciate and reflect on how fortunate they are and how much of a difference they made yesterday.

I am a lover of Ted Talks. I just recently re watched this talk about giving. Its only 10 minutes but insightful. Here is the link.
http://embed.ted.com/talks/michael_n...happiness.html

RIde Report http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...t=Rolling+jick
Jick Magger is offline   Reply With Quote