That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,837
Old 11-28-2013, 07:39 AM   #31997
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 22,242
Quote:
Originally Posted by trailer Rails View Post
Be prepared to drop a little coin on good flat pedals, they can be comparable to clipless. Cheap Vp flats cost as much as cheap Vp clipless and it goes up from there.
One advantage I've come to appreciate after switching from clipless to flats on my mountain bike is that on extremely steep and tricky climbs, flats make it much easier to get going again if you stall out and have to resume pedaling from a dead stop. When you're in the lowest gear, there often isn't enough time to clip the remaining foot back in after the other foot completes half a pedal stroke.

On anything less challenging than expert level trails, I still prefer clipless pedals because of the advantages they confer. It just so happens that all my training at the moment involves mastering the most difficult and dangerous trails, and for that I don't want to be clipped in.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 09:53 AM   #31998
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
On anything less challenging than expert level trails, I still prefer clipless pedals because of the advantages they confer. It just so happens that all my training at the moment involves mastering the most difficult and dangerous trails, and for that I don't want to be clipped in.
Opinions may vary... For the most technical trails I much prefer being attached to my bike. Makes moving the back wheel around easier among other things.

Once you get good with the clipless you can get in (and out of) em pretty darn quickly. Its just not something you end up thinking about 'cause the legs/feet just kind of do it automatically.

Speaking of attached to the bike: just got in from a '5 Gravel Roads' ride. AKA I went backwards on the last stretch first and then re-rode the same stretch the 'right' way at the end of the ride. Roads were smooth enough that I could've ridden the road bike down em.

M
Old 11-28-2013, 03:11 PM   #31999
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 6,865
One way to train yourself to clipless is to stop at every stop sign, pull a foot out and put it on the ground. After a few hundred of those you'll not even think about it. The guys who used to tip over at the start lines back when I was racing were the ones who didn't stop at stop signs.
Of course we were using tow straps.
Facebook
Smugmug
Mr Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 03:54 PM   #32000
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 4,976
I hope I wasn't the only one riding on Turkey Day. Got out for 9.6 miles of singletrack and blasted some previous lap times out of the water. Maybe it was the new Shimano Gore Tex winter shoes that did it. No froze toes today. Of course, I almost fell down while unclipping a couple of times due to installing some unfamiliar cleats just before leaving the house. Aurelius would've been proud.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 06:55 PM   #32001
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,227
Quote:
Originally Posted by inyang View Post
What model of the Sectuer were you looking at?

This?
The nice thing with that one, other than discs, is the long-cage RD and it's super-low low gear.

Quote:
FYI: the Allez is going to be more racy and less versatile. That Sectuer will do almost anything you want to do. The Allez will not accept larger tires for light off-road riding.
Not to mention, the geometry may be way too twitchy for a returning rider. Be sure to ride the Allez and Secteur back-to-back, JoeDuck.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 07:47 PM   #32002
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 10,022
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
and

I'm using VP "thin gripsters" on both of my Rivendells, and am very happy. Even on long rides, 50-70 miles in a day, they're comfortable and I like being able to move my feet around - gives my leg muscles a break. For shoes, I found some excellent shot-putt shoes with dead-flat soles, no waffle tread just a slab of rubber. They're also fairly thin, but rubber is stout enough that I don't feel the pedal pins/spikes through the shoes (only on my legs when I'm walking the bike and bang into them).
FWIW, I've been using a pair of 'walking shoes' that have a substantial steel shank in the sole much like a good hiking boot. my Wellgo pin pedals grab onto these like glue, and the shank keeps me from feeling ANY pedal under me. the pedals have a dish that just about matches the curve of the ball of the sole of the shoes.
Old 11-29-2013, 05:14 AM   #32003
trailer Rails
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,676
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post

Not to mention, the geometry may be way too twitchy for a returning rider.
That is what I ment by racy, twitchy might be a better way to put it. The Allez might feel like more fun on a 10 minute test ride but in my opinion, unless you actually plan on racing, the Secteur is the better choice. That bike will do it all.
trailer Rails is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 05:20 AM   #32004
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
That is what I ment by racy, twitchy might be a better way to put it. The Allez might feel like more fun on a 10 minute test ride but in my opinion, unless you actually plan on racing, the Secteur is the better choice. That bike will do it all.
+1

I loved my Roubaix. If it'd had a shorter head tube, I'd probably still have it.

M
Old 11-29-2013, 07:31 AM   #32005
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Figured you meant riding position.

Agree with your last thought, as well.

Has your shop gotten in an AWOL, yet?
Old 11-29-2013, 08:10 AM   #32006
mud
I just wander.....

Oddometer: 1,664
Quote:
Has your shop gotten in an AWOL, yet?
I am kind of excited to see this one....
mud is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 08:30 AM   #32007
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mud View Post
I am kind of excited to see this one....
Yeah, their Trans-Con videos are intriguing. I'd like to get a new bike for '14 and really wanted a Fargo. But, this thing came along. Then, I keep thinking of just getting a Lynskey frameset and disc wheels and swap my Tricross components over. But, there's the Raleigh Tamland, too. Argh!
Old 11-29-2013, 09:43 AM   #32008
mud
I just wander.....

Oddometer: 1,664
Quote:
Yeah, their Trans-Con videos are intriguing. I'd like to get a new bike for '14 and really wanted a Fargo. But, this thing came along. Then, I keep thinking of just getting a Lynskey frameset and disc wheels and swap my Tricross components over. But, there's the Raleigh Tamland, too. Argh!
I LOVE my Fargo. It fits what I use it for perfectly. I tend to be the pack mule when my family goes for a ride and I can pretty much ride it anywhere and it does it really well. I like the new gravel bikes but I need (for now) full rack braze-ons, especially for lowriders.
mud is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 04:53 PM   #32009
Tallbastid
Let's get tropical

Oddometer: 1,298
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
. It just so happens that all my training at the moment involves mastering the most difficult and dangerous trails, and for that I don't want to be clipped in.
Tallbastid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 06:26 PM   #32010
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

I can't say it was muddy out there this PM but it was certainly slimy. Trails got wet, froze, then started to thaw today. Made for some 'interesting' moments as the 3 of us slip-slid our way around Lake Fairfax.

M

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: