Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-02-2013, 04:36 PM   #5056
rufus
We're burning daylight...

Oddometer: 3,943
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengt Phorks View Post
You already know how to adjust the TPS.
The tool makes it easier to hook up the voltmeter. Plug the tool in between the TPS sensor and the TPS wire harness.
KTM recommended setting: .601 +/- 0.004v.
Picture of tool: http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....postcount=4690
Where to buy: http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....postcount=4172
TPS adjustment using different methods:
http://www.ktmforums.com/forums/offr...flame-out.html
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...postcount=4049
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...postcount=3528

Thanks!!
rufus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 07:41 PM   #5057
rufus

Quote:
You already know how to adjust the TPS.
The tool makes it easier to hook up the voltmeter. Plug the tool in between the TPS sensor and the TPS wire harness.
KTM recommended setting: .601 +/- 0.004v.
Picture of tool: http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....postcount=4690
Where to buy: http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....postcount=4172
TPS adjustment using different methods:
http://www.ktmforums.com/forums/offr...flame-out.html
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...postcount=4049
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...postcount=3528

When I set the TPS on my 525 I unplugged it and connected a meter to the 2 wires coming from the TPS and rotated the TPS.

The picture of the tool shows connectors on both ends of the tool. Does it NEED to remain plugged in while adjusting the TPS or do I just unplug it and connect a meter to the wires as I did on my 525?

I know almost nothing about electricity but I assume that it is just measuring resistance.
Old 12-02-2013, 09:13 PM   #5058
Bengt Phorks
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by rufus View Post
When I set the TPS on my 525 I unplugged it and connected a meter to the 2 wires coming from the TPS and rotated the TPS.

The picture of the tool shows connectors on both ends of the tool. Does it NEED to remain plugged in while adjusting the TPS or do I just unplug it and connect a meter to the wires as I did on my 525?

I know almost nothing about electricity but I assume that it is just measuring resistance.
Mark the original position of the sensor.
Plug tool into sensor and harness, turn on ignition but don't start motor. This is what supplies the power to the unit.
The 2 extra wires are what you plug the voltmeter into.
Read the voltage.
Loosen screw.
Adjust as necessary.
Did I mention to Mark the original position of the sensor?
Bengt Phorks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 04:34 PM   #5059
KrustyKustom
Lets Go....

Oddometer: 618
Quote:

ughhh...I never found my TPS sensor on my 525!!
KrustyKustom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 05:26 PM   #5060
RidingNorcal
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Massive information! New 2014 this weekend

Hey Guys,

This thread is obviously loaded with good stuff but I have a family and get through it all. I have some ideas for my new 2014 500 EXC that I'm picking up, and I want to hear feedback if I'm on the right track and get any input you want to give, for how to set it up from day one. I know all the info is here somewhere, but maybe this would be quicker, if its not too much trouble. Gong to use it 50/50 for single track and trips to the store on the road. No long road runs (yet) unless its on the mountain on a dual sport ride to connect trails. My ideas are:

-Change gearing to 14-50. New chain needed.
-Remap and take smog stuff out, remove screen, run stock exhaust.
-TrailTech Voyager. Billet case need or is it just bling? Voyager ok unit?
-Springs to my weight, if needed-240 without gear, average rider. Recommendations?
-I have a Scotts stabilizer I want to use, need to get mount. Under or over mount? Im 6'1" Whats been most comfortable?
-Wheels balanced
-Rear rack-Pro Moto Billet? Or other?
-I was thinking footpegs, Fast Way Adventure. Are stockers ok? Or is it a good upgrade? Adventure too big?
-Softer seat, gutz or similar. Just cause I like to sit and cruise sometimes.

That's my list so far to get started. Please let me know your thoughts!
RidingNorcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 05:58 PM   #5061
rufus

Quote:
Plug tool into sensor and harness, turn on ignition but don't start motor. This is what supplies the power to the unit.
The 2 extra wires are what you plug the voltmeter into.
Read the voltage.
Loosen screw.
Adjust as necessary.
Did I mention to Mark the original position of the sensor?

Thanks for the reply, but you didn't completely answer my question.

IF I don't have the tool (got one ordered) do i unplug the TPS and connect the wires from the TPS to the meter?
Old 12-03-2013, 06:06 PM   #5062
avconnect
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by RidingNorcal View Post
Hey Guys,

This thread is obviously loaded with good stuff but I have a family and get through it all. I have some ideas for my new 2014 500 EXC that I'm picking up, and I want to hear feedback if I'm on the right track and get any input you want to give, for how to set it up from day one. I know all the info is here somewhere, but maybe this would be quicker, if its not too much trouble. Gong to use it 50/50 for single track and trips to the store on the road. No long road runs (yet) unless its on the mountain on a dual sport ride to connect trails. My ideas are:

-Springs to my weight, if needed-240 without gear, average rider. Recommendations?
-I have a Scotts stabilizer I want to use, need to get mount. Under or over mount? Im 6'1" Whats been most comfortable?
-Wheels balanced
-I was thinking footpegs, Fast Way Adventure. Are stockers ok? Or is it a good upgrade? Adventure too big?

Under mount for the stabilizer. At 6'1" you will want risers at the least. The stock handlebar position is good for 5'8" riders at best. Consider the HDB setup.

Seat Cocepts offers a great replacement seat at a reasonable cost.

I went with 13/50 gearing and a longer chain. Very happy with it but if you will do a lot of riding at 50+ mph you may prefer 14/50.

Desmogged and remap was critical for my 2012.

Consider suspension work by Slavens racing.
avconnect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 07:49 PM   #5063
1224R
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,712
Quote:
Originally Posted by noahr View Post
Called the shop, it turns out it was the shifter shaft weld that broke internally. So WARRANTY.
Parts on order, should be done next week.

Ok this makes me feel better, (no offense)...

Riding LA Barstow to Vegas this past weekend and in the last 10 miles....(thank god... The shifter shaft did the EXACT same thing!!!!! I thought it was the shifter lever like you thought was stripped.... But after looking at it I realized it was turning way more than a stripped lever....I figured the shaft was broke from the weld.... Thank god it was in 3rd as I was able to ride it back into vegas.... If the weld is a weak spot I want to inspect the replacement part and see if the weld goes all the way around the shaft.... Getting mine replaced by warranty as well.....
Old 12-03-2013, 08:30 PM   #5064
SoilSampleDave
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,432
Quote:
Originally Posted by avconnect View Post
Under mount for the stabilizer. At 6'1" you will want risers at the least. The stock handlebar position is good for 5'8" riders at best. Consider the HDB setup.

Seat Cocepts offers a great replacement seat at a reasonable cost.

I went with 13/50 gearing and a longer chain. Very happy with it but if you will do a lot of riding at 50+ mph you may prefer 14/50.

Desmogged and remap was critical for my 2012.

Consider suspension work by Slavens racing.
+1 on Seat Concepts and DEFINITELY balance your tires.

'13 350EXC-F
SoilSampleDave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 08:37 PM   #5065
Bengt Phorks
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Thanks for the reply, but you didn't completely answer my question.

IF I don't have the tool (got one ordered) do i unplug the TPS and connect the wires from the TPS to the meter?
Nope, All you will get is a resistance reading. You need a voltage reading.
The tool provides the voltage needed to get a reading and a place to plug in the voltmeter.
Old 12-03-2013, 08:40 PM   #5066
Nomad
High Speed Low Drag

Oddometer: 244
2012 ktm 500 exc?

Quote:
Hey Guys,

-Wheels balanced

as far as the Scott's stabilizer goes...
being 6'1" same as you, I run a BRP submount, pro taper windham bend bars, and a Highway Dirt Bikes top clamp and am VERY pleased with this setup.

Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 08:52 PM   #5067
scudrunner82
human whoopy cushion

Oddometer: 1,145
Quote:
Hey Guys,

-Wheels balanced

I concur with the BRP sub mount for the scotts damper. I'm 6'0" and it fits like a glove now.

The 2014 models have new seats. KTMs aren't known for seats but give this one a shot before you toss it. I'm totally happy with mine.

Yes, balance the wheels before you even ride it (over 40 MPH)

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
scudrunner82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 08:56 PM   #5068
Bengt Phorks
Gnarly Adventurer

Just ride it stock for at least 10 hours to get a baseline performance. They work really well right out of the box. For my 2012 it took 25 hours for the suspension to loosen up.
Then start changing the things that bother you the most.
Get some good radiator guards from Bullet Proof Designs.They are cheaper than a radiator.
When you wear out the tires put on a set of Dunlop 606's.
Quote:
Hey Guys,

-Wheels balanced

Bengt Phorks screwed with this post 12-03-2013 at 09:01 PM
Old 12-03-2013, 10:41 PM   #5069
RidingNorcal
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Thanks for the reccomendations. For those suggesting the brp submount, is it the rubber mounted one your suggesting? Or the standard? If rubber, it looks as if they would prevent your fork tubes from being able to be raised. Not sure if that matters to me as I'm sure the geometry is fine for me stock, but just sayin.
RidingNorcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 02:19 AM   #5070
AussieClay
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by avconnect View Post
Totally agree. I'm only 5'10" and have a Scott's/BRP(?) riser with steering damper mounted underneath bars, as well as Flexx bars which add a little more height, and I prefer it over stock height. Especially if you stand up a lot on the trails.
AussieClay is offline   Reply With Quote