Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-15-2013, 01:05 PM   #91
Motardhead
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexLeroy View Post
I checked the 2009 DL650 & DL1000. Front wheel part numbers are different & bearings are different. DL650 has a 17mm front axle, DL1000 has a 20mm front axle. Fork internals are also different I believe.
The fork internals, axel, etc shouldn't matter. The only thing that needs to match is the steering head tube to mount the triples. Once those are mounted the fork tubes, axel, wheel are all from a dr650 (or whatever other bike).
Old 11-15-2013, 09:51 PM   #92
byron555
Lame Duck Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,102
the right time for a kit

Compared with similar mods done years ago, now is the right time for a kit. Why? Cheap and abundant dl650s are coming to the used market. If you could get Warp 9 to produce a rear hub for or adapt a current hub they offer to fit the rear of the bike, that would be a huge step forward, an affordable rear wheel with spokes.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=997633
byron555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 09:36 AM   #93
SR
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 983
Very interesting! I'd consider buying a kit if the price is right. Ill at least keep an eye out for a salvaged new front end.

The few times I really took my Wee off road the suspension was so flimsy it felt like the bike was going to crack in half. I gave up on taking it off-road an geared it toward being a full on road bike. It is a lot of fun on road but could be a good DS bike with the right mods. Interesting thread! It is true what someone else said about the motor, it has a poor power curve for off road riding.

SR screwed with this post 11-16-2013 at 09:53 AM
SR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 06:54 AM   #94
cjracer OP
AWD please!!

Oddometer: 3,951
Quote:
Originally Posted by SR View Post
It is true what someone else said about the motor, it has a poor power curve for off road riding.
Please explain more if you can???

I have found the power to be very linear and friendly off road. Much more mellow than my 950's yes, but that helps with traction and tire life.

You can only get so much HP to the ground in the dirt anyways.

What were you running for gearing? I feel the Stock gearing is much too tall for off road trail use, but that is easy to fix and a common issue on most DS type bikes out of the box.
cjracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 07:05 AM   #95
Motardhead
Adventurer

Any new estimates as to when this kit will available to the public?
Old 11-18-2013, 07:17 AM   #96
cjracer OP
AWD please!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motardhead View Post
Any new estimates as to when this kit will available to the public?
Nothing yet. Still working on shop move and won't start on offering "KITS" until I get that done and room to work. We got hit with some crazy NOV storms Sunday so I didn't get anymore testing done. I need to get the shop done so I'm not working out of 5 garages with tools everywhere. Should give everyone enough time to find there DRZ400 forks, front wheel and brakes.
Old 11-18-2013, 08:04 AM   #97
Motardhead
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjracer View Post
Nothing yet. Still working on shop move and won't start on offering "KITS" until I get that done and room to work....Should give everyone enough time to find there DRZ400 forks, front wheel and brakes.
Good to know. So you will be selling just the triple tree and clamps. We will have to find our own forks, wheel, etc. And it is designed around the DRZ400 sized fork tube. Are these all correct assumptions?

I'm really looking forward to this when you have it ready.
Old 11-18-2013, 09:07 AM   #98
SR
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 983
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjracer View Post
Please explain more if you can???

I have found the power to be very linear and friendly off road. Much more mellow than my 950's yes, but that helps with traction and tire life.

You can only get so much HP to the ground in the dirt anyways.

What were you running for gearing? I feel the Stock gearing is much too tall for off road trail use, but that is easy to fix and a common issue on most DS type bikes out of the box.
Agreed the power band of the STROM is basically linear with peak toward the mid upper range around 6-8K?. Most off-road bikes have a little more grunt toward the low end but it is not a deal killer. I don't recall what gearing I am running. I think it's just stock? Changing the gearing obviously wouldn't change the power band but I would definitely do it if I were to gear the bike toward offroad riding.

I had the VSTROM off road for about 40 miles this weekend. The factory front suspension is such a joke for DS riding. I've already stiffened it up and I was bottoming out every 2 minutes.

I live in Northern Mexico. A lot of junk bikes end up here from the US. I bet I could find a few DR and DRZ front ends in a single afternoon.
SR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 11:32 AM   #99
cjracer OP
AWD please!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motardhead View Post
Good to know. So you will be selling just the triple tree and clamps. We will have to find our own forks, wheel, etc. And it is designed around the DRZ400 sized fork tube. Are these all correct assumptions?

I'm really looking forward to this when you have it ready.
Many options and "KITs" are possible.

We could also make them work with the 50mm WP extreme forks and front end.

We planned this as a EBAY build for shopping for parts and to make it user friendly and cost effective, I hope to offer as much or as little as the end user needs. These triple clamps have a 49mm ID. Any tube with that size could work.
Old 11-18-2013, 04:04 PM   #100
JagLite
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 965
Cool2 Triple clamps

How about sleeves for the clamps to be able to use other sizes of fork tubes in your triple clamps?

Simple slotted clamp sleeves with a top shoulder to keep them from dropping out would be easy to machine in any inner I.D. with an O.D. of your custom clamps.
That would allow us to source many front ends that are available.
Those sleeves would be a great addition to your parts kit availability.

I think…

And don't some USD forks have a different size top & bottom clamp?
Having the various sleeve sizes would really open up the fork choices and you would only need one triple clamp size.

Using the Suzuki DRZ front end is great for parts interchange but there are many good choices on eBay from other bikes.
James
JagLite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 04:54 PM   #101
cjracer OP
AWD please!!

I will be able to make custom triples for a price if curtain forks are required by some rider. I don't like the idea of double clamping rings on forks seeing serious offroad use, even though it is easier.

USD fork have larger OD, and will limit turning radius as they will hit the frame sooner. That is why I stuck with conventional DRZ/ WP forks. They are plenty good IMO for what this bike is built to handle.

If I need USD MX style forks, Then I'll work on that when the AWD frame kit is started.....
Old 12-04-2013, 10:26 AM   #102
atwater1
likes to play in the mud

Oddometer: 162
DRZ forks

CJ / Oldhound,

What all did you guys end up doing to the DRZ fork internals for this set up? I think I am going to look for a used set of forks, but I am curious as to what else will be needed to beef them up.

Thanks

Atwater1
atwater1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 11:59 AM   #103
mousitsas
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,653
Quote:
Originally Posted by atwater1 View Post
CJ / Oldhound,

What all did you guys end up doing to the DRZ fork internals for this set up? I think I am going to look for a used set of forks, but I am curious as to what else will be needed to beef them up.

Thanks

Atwater1
You first have to determine how stiff you want the springs to be. Then you go to a suspension tuner to match the valving to the springs and the intended use of the bike. However, try them first and play with the clickers! Post 02 drz forks are fully adjustable.
mousitsas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 12:16 PM   #104
scarysharkface
30-125

Oddometer: 12,889
This looks fantastic!

The road to Hell is paved...
Save $5 on a Smugmug subscription when you use my coupon:
yBr7OofIPuOP6
'98 DR350 for sale http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1000749
'09 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited for sale http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...8#post24898278
scarysharkface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 02:25 PM   #105
atwater1
likes to play in the mud

Oddometer: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by mousitsas View Post
You first have to determine how stiff you want the springs to be. Then you go to a suspension tuner to match the valving to the springs and the intended use of the bike. However, try them first and play with the clickers! Post 02 drz forks are fully adjustable.
First of all, I would like to say that I am very much a n00b when it comes to suspensions. The following may or may not make sense...

I figured I would just start with heavier springs and play with the clickers. Then, if necessary, go the route of new/updated valving. I have found different websites that will calculate a heavier spring based on the riders weight and intended riding style. However, given that the wee is a bit () heavier than the drz, I am unsure of how much extra stiffness will be needed just to overcome that. I suppose I could calculate the difference in weight of the bikes, and add that into the riders weight, but I don't really know if there is more to it than that or not.

Did I mention I'm in a little over my head when it comes to the dark art that is suspensions...

Atwater1
atwater1 is offline   Reply With Quote