User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-21-2013, 08:07 AM   #256
ciedema
мотоциклист

Oddometer: 1,925
That is great news.

Sent from my awful Android Phone using awful Tapatalk software.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR650L_Dave View Post
The only guaranteed route to failure is the attempted solution of problems through the application of ideology.
ciedema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 08:30 AM   #257
Wildbillsgarage
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Yoda man!

Just bumped into your thread. As a survivor of an infectious disease adventure, I have a wee idea of your challenge. I have been to the edge, and looked over, but it was not my time. Having said that you have been through far more massive trauma. Unbelievable! Although you will fight this battle very much alone, take strength from the strength you give others by not submitting. Fate has given you a huge challenge and I bet your already seeing how many people you will touch. Maybe it's already happened but when the day comes that you start to feel excited again, it will become your new drug! Milk it! You path will never be the same, and that's OK. What a campfire story, for those who want to hear it. Isn't it amazing what you can live through? Hard to have patience and healing can be agonizingly slow, but time keeps ticking. Enjoy each small victory and celebrate it with family and friends. I tip my toque, my good man. Carry on.
Wildbillsgarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 09:54 AM   #258
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown

Oddometer: 7,338
Very stoked to hear it!
"You had better bring an extra magazine. Yeti's amped up on weird shit are hard to bring down." Lonestar2112
YetiGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 03:13 PM   #259
bdubbin
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Wow... I've started this thread a few times but always got distracted in the non-essential replies and lost interest. Glad I focused on the OP's posts this time around. This has certainly been a long journey!

diesel1959 = Perseverance

I hope that infection is finally done! Keep healing, diesel!
bdubbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 12:32 AM   #260
Rex Nemo
horizon calling

Oddometer: 313
really glad to hear that you've gone from preparing yourself to lose the leg, to getting ready to walk in water!
Old 11-23-2013, 04:16 AM   #261
AceRph
Affluenza Free!

Oddometer: 24,591
Woohoo!!

Good news!

“We are turning into a nation of whimpering slaves to Fear—fear of war, fear of poverty, fear of random terrorism, fear of getting down-sized or fired because of the plunging economy, fear of getting evicted for bad debts or suddenly getting locked up in a military detention camp on vague charges of being a Terrorist sympathizer.” —”Extreme Behavior in Aspen,” February 3, 2003

"The State sees the spectre looming ahead of terrorism and anarchy, and this increases the risk of its over-reaction and a reduction in our freedom." - Stanley Kubrick
AceRph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 06:15 PM   #262
alma1759
Nothing

Oddometer: 114
Grateful news...

Diesel, really don't have words that fit here or accurately convene my admiration for you and your journey.
Hope your road to healing continues.
alma1759 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 11:53 PM   #263
Other Bob
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by diesel1959 View Post
Saw two of my orthopedic surgeons yesterday and this afternoon. They each took x-rays and each--independently--came to the same conclusion . . .
... that you're one damn tough hombre! Keep up your positive attitude Diesel - you're winning the fight on my score card.

Bob
Other Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 09:15 PM   #264
diesel1959 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 160
I go for my PT evaluation in the morning. Then the water-walking begins.

diesel1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 09:36 PM   #265
Lacedaemon
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 586
Best wishes!
Lacedaemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 06:46 PM   #266
GeoAggie
Adventurer

Oddometer: 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by diesel1959 View Post
I go for my PT evaluation in the morning. Then the water-walking begins.
Great news!!! Go get 'em on the rehab . . . . and we're keeping up the positive thoughts.
GeoAggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 07:44 PM   #267
Voz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 402
Congrats! Pleased to read this.

Have a great xmas & new year.

2013 R1200 GSW Red - Blown Engine & Gearbox (clutch basket nut issue) - AUG 14
2015 R1200 GSW White - NOV 14
Voz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 09:14 PM   #268
diesel1959 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 160
Well, it's been a good long while since the last update, but here goes. Since the end of November, I've been completely off antibiotics and it appears to my surgeon and Infectious Disease doctor that we may have beaten the odds regarding the osteomyelitis. There have been no fluid drainages and no symptoms that would lead one to suspect the infection remains; however, these chronic bone infections are sneaky and can lay dormant for quite a while . . . [fingers crossed]

As for physical therapy, I spent the majority of December and the first half of January walking in chest-deep water to test the load-bearing ability of the femur. All seemed well so about a week and a half ago, the surgeon gave me new PT orders to walk on land at PT. Today was my first session, and I've gotta tell you, I was scared shitless. I went in realizing full-well that when I stood up that at some point during that hour, if my leg snapped, I would find myself rolled to the ER there at the hospital and wake with less-than- half of my leg remaining. With that in the forefront of my brain, I went to the session and put on my big HermanMunster shoe . . . and stood up from the wheelchair at the parallel bars. The PT had me walk and turn along the length of the bars a couple times and then she got my walker and set it up at one of the open ends of the bars . . . . I walked to the walker and then walked as long as I could and had to sit back into the chair. I did that three more times and when done, I had walked a total of one and a half laps around the PT area, so about 150 feet in all. I was sweating like a pig, my mouth was drier than a popcorn fart, but my leg had not snapped. Woot!

Now I'll be having three sessions a week and then, if the leg holds and the infection doesn't recur, then in a couple months, the surgeon will start planning my next big surgery--breaking the leg further up and installing the Ilisarov again.

diesel1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 09:46 PM   #269
BillUA
Las Vegas, NV

Oddometer: 97
Thumb

Damn man! Keep up the great work and your awesome attitude.
2002 WR 426 Hot Cams
BillUA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 09:46 PM   #270
SilkMoneyLove
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,931
Awesome news! The body is amazing and that sweaty/shaky shock feeling is unforgettable BUT you have made it this far! Congrats, that is great.

Remember to enjoy the good moments and take good care of yourself.

What is the deal with more surgery? Can't that complicate/bring back infection?

I'm sure the doctors know what they need to do, I am just curious.
SilkMoneyLove is offline   Reply With Quote