Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-18-2013, 05:47 PM   #61
kk3an
Adventurer

Oddometer: 85
To my ears I really didn't notice any detectable difference at all noise-wise, nor any difference with it starting or running.

To be fair, I pulled the damn flap out almost immediately after buying the bike (within 1,000 miles), so I never really got used to it's stock sound / performance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSTEVENS View Post
Hey Dan, just wondering about removing exhaust valve, does it start or run different? I like the idea of more noise, I love the sound after mine gets hot, it seems to make more noise the warmer the outside temp. I started it under the gas station roof after 3 hours of 80mph in 106* temps and I thought muffler had came loose it was so loud. Excuse hijack please D.
kk3an is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 09:10 AM   #62
micanuck
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
2010 1200 gsa chatters at cold start up and stalls

Hi. I can see this problem is more common than I thought. I had an alternator belt break off last Sept. with less than 30,000 km and have noticed a chatter on cold start almost everytime. While it doesn't appear to cause any trouble, it doesn't sound right. Stalling has occurred whlie downshifting to first gear with a warm engine, and throttle blip when cold or warm intermittently causes a miss. I will discuss this with my local dealer and add that this site includes a number of similar concerns. Recently, my fuel gauge failing caused me to run out of fuel with the gauge showing a half tank. My local BMW shop claims poor Chinese quality components are a culprit.
micanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 10:22 AM   #63
Schu
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
2011 gsa

32K on my 2011 Adventure and have had the same problem since day one. Took it back to dealer and they said throttle sync. Problrem was worse after they synced it. Tried Booster Plug without success. Syncing the throttles at lower rpm as opposed to highway rpm seems to make it less frequent on my bike but still occurs. BMW is clueless.. No problem?
Schu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 02:22 PM   #64
marcoue
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 263
I own a 2010 GSA and have done 50000 km with it. Previously, I owned a 2007 GS and a 2008 GSA. I have driver almost 200 000 km on these 3 bikes so I consider myself an experienced rider.

Have this same terrible problem with the 2010.

In fact, not only this pining is not very pleasant, this problem actually almost caused me a few (too many) accidents where I had to leave at an intersection and the bike stalled on me because of the famous misfire.

Last summer, I left my bike at BMW dealer (Moto Internationale in Montreal) and they did a 850 km road test (no, I had not given them the permission to do so, but that's another subject!), changed the sparked plugs, the coils, the battery and engine synch... No change.

I on my side, tried a few things, including reducing or using higher octane, no result.

The bike will misfire cold, hot, well, all the time and a few times during every ride.

This is BMW's (dealer) answer: this is normal on the DOHC engine and you need to adjust your driving technique.

Thinking of trading it for a 2009 but too lazy to switch all the farkles.

Unstoppable my .... Unacceptable would be the better word here.

Canadian Adventure: Montreal to Inuvik solo (2008)
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=466421
marcoue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 10:46 PM   #65
Meg99512
n00b

Oddometer: 6
2012 gsa

Currently I have 2012 GSA with 15k miles is having blip engine stall problem occasionally it annoying while I am riding also it is dangerous, so every maintenances service done by Long Beach BMW I mention regarding engine stall problems but Long Beach BMW dealer keep deny stall or misfire problems.
As we can see DOHC GS engine is having stall and misfire even Long Beach BMW dealer deny the problem.
So let BMW motorrad to recognize this problem and they should recall or replace a GSA without stall or misfire engine.
Specially in California where have lemon law to protect consumer rather than take a advantage of consumers.
Meg99512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 10:39 AM   #66
Hubbman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 706
Pulling the flap

Quote:
Originally Posted by kk3an View Post
To my ears I really didn't notice any detectable difference at all noise-wise, nor any difference with it starting or running.

To be fair, I pulled the damn flap out almost immediately after buying the bike (within 1,000 miles), so I never really got used to it's stock sound / performance.
Wondering if you used the Wunderlich kit to eliminate the flap? Also, how did you seal off the connections to the flap so it looked tidy down there (cables etc..)

Perhaps a pic of the mod???

EDIT!!! MAN! What a bummer. Wunderlich cannot ship their flapper eliminator to an address in California.... Guess I'll need to make my own!

Thanks

Hubbman screwed with this post 08-08-2013 at 10:45 AM
Hubbman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 03:01 PM   #67
Hubbman
Studly Adventurer

Fault Codes???

Quote:
Originally Posted by kk3an View Post
I also had a very pronounced detonation / pre-detonation issue caused by throttle blips with my '13 GSA.

Removed the exhaust flap and the problem went away 100%. No throttle body sync, no nothing - just replaced the exhaust flap with a straight section of pipe and the issue was gone.

Dan

I'm about to do the flap delete. However, I'm wondering if you had any fault code issues when you did yours?

Thanks
Old 08-14-2013, 08:34 AM   #68
Hubbman
Studly Adventurer

Answer my own question...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hubbman View Post
I'm about to do the flap delete. However, I'm wondering if you had any fault code issues when you did yours?

Thanks
For anyone searching...

Just did the Flap Delete on my 2011 R1200GS, and there were no fault codes.

Little bit more aggressive "bark' to the exhaust note, but the biggest difference I've noticed (and didn't expect) was a more immediate throttle response, not sure why???

So this completes my exhaust upgrade:

Akrapovic Headers (cat-less)
Black ceramic coat on headers
Remus Hexicone silencer
Wunderlich Flap Delete kit
Booster Plug
Old 12-01-2013, 11:59 PM   #69
duckboy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 285
??

any progress on this issue? i thought it was just me but i'm "glad" to hear there's others w/ this problem. i took it once to Irv Seaver's but they told me they couldn't get the problem to resurface and they reset my ecu parameters. bike still exhibited the problem. gonna take it back again. funny how the demo bike i test rode didn't exhibit this problem at all. this is my 4th bmw and i'm thinking of going back to ducati if i can't get this fixed. this is really dangerous in socal when i'm splitting lanes and need a lower gear to scoot away and then the engine dies.

duckboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meg99512 View Post
Currently I have 2012 GSA with 15k miles is having blip engine stall problem occasionally it annoying while I am riding also it is dangerous, so every maintenances service done by Long Beach BMW I mention regarding engine stall problems but Long Beach BMW dealer keep deny stall or misfire problems.
As we can see DOHC GS engine is having stall and misfire even Long Beach BMW dealer deny the problem.
So let BMW motorrad to recognize this problem and they should recall or replace a GSA without stall or misfire engine.
Specially in California where have lemon law to protect consumer rather than take a advantage of consumers.
homedepot platinum card
duckboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 12:10 AM   #70
duckboy
Gnarly Adventurer

anyone?
homedepot platinum card
Old 12-05-2013, 12:24 AM   #71
CandyMan_ZA OP
R1200GS-WP

Oddometer: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by duckboy View Post
any progress on this issue?
duckboy
Nope, BMW Motorrad remain silent on this issue. Despite many people experiencing these dangerous intermittent stalls (and pinging, detonation, pre-ignition and knocking). I had an accident with my problematic 2011 bike, unfortunately I don't recall what happened, I hope to God it wasn't because the bike stalled and I lost control as a result The bike was totalled. I now have a 2009 SOHC ADV and it does not display this issue
CandyMan_ZA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 04:07 PM   #72
duckboy
Gnarly Adventurer

this sucks. too bad for us. glad you're ok after the accident.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CandyMan_ZA View Post
Nope, BMW Motorrad remain silent on this issue. Despite many people experiencing these dangerous intermittent stalls (and pinging, detonation, pre-ignition and knocking). I had an accident with my problematic 2011 bike, unfortunately I don't recall what happened, I hope to God it wasn't because the bike stalled and I lost control as a result The bike was totalled. I now have a 2009 SOHC ADV and it does not display this issue
homedepot platinum card
Old 12-05-2013, 07:22 PM   #73
GP1200
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 299
My 2010 GSA ,as you quickly blipped the throttle at a light, would produce a giant knock and almost stall. So, this is clearly a characteristic. Now that the watercooled new gen engine is out you'll more likely see a monkey crawl out your ass than Bring More Wallet fix this glitch. They have already taken courses on how to deny and distract you with smoke and mirrors if any of us bring the subject up again.
GP1200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 08:02 PM   #74
duckboy
Gnarly Adventurer

called bmw NA and they told me the bike is within parameters and there's nothing wrong w/ the bike. they said the r1200 engine can't manage quick flicks of the throttle w/o load. not sure why this engine can't manage this sort of normal throttle movement. i asked if they'd buy the bike back in exchange for another bmw bike and they said no.

thanks for standing by me, bmw. as a 4x owner i really appreciate the customer support.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP1200 View Post
My 2010 GSA ,as you quickly blipped the throttle at a light, would produce a giant knock and almost stall. So, this is clearly a characteristic. Now that the watercooled new gen engine is out you'll more likely see a monkey crawl out your ass than Bring More Wallet fix this glitch. They have already taken courses on how to deny and distract you with smoke and mirrors if any of us bring the subject up again.
homedepot platinum card
Old 06-19-2014, 01:17 PM   #75
shadhardman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 95
Pissed My stalls too, but no rough idle!!! Not happy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachZ View Post
I have a '12 12gs w/ 500mi so far and I too blip the throttle before starting off from a stop. The throttle blip occasionally causes the bike to choke and it stalled 2 times during my last ride. Glad to hear it is not just my bike or riding style, but definitely not happy that I have to accept the fact that my new bike will act like this without explanation. WTF. If the bottom line solution is to change my riding style, then I guess it's a cheap fix.
My '12 G12GS Rallye (7,500mi) is doing the same thing and almost killed me when it stalled in traffic. It's in the shop and I won't let them send it home with me again (twice already). It's erratic and unpredictable. It doesn't it a lot when cold and some when it's hot. It seems to idle fine, but as soon as I goose it to take off "cough, wheeze, sneeze, plop" it goes. It's gotten worse over the past 4000mi. It's doing other weird shit too like last week it would only fire on one cylinder when I tried to start it cold. It finally took off on the 4th start but the dealer says it didn't throw any codes???? How does a modern engine fire on one cylinder for 4 starts and not throw a code?

I didn't pay $18k for a freaking bike to act this way, none of my past bikes have.

I'll post updates as I go because I'm not going to be satisfied until it's fixed.