User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-04-2013, 09:12 PM   #1
Rochesterue OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 100
Stolen Motorcycle - What to do?

This morning I went to get on my bike and discovered it had been stolen from in front of my house (Downtown Syracuse NY). Unfortunately, I had left the bike with the bars unlocked and no other means of a theft deterrent. More unfortunate, I opted to not purchase comprehensive insurance which means my only hope is getting the bike back. Bike is a 2001 KLR650 with lots of farkles. There is a thread with more details on it here.

My question for the inmates: What now?

I've done the following: Called police, filed a report. Reported it stolen to my insurance. Drove around the neighborhood and surrounding sketchy areas looking for it. Had a picture of it shared on FaceBook by 20+ local people. Went to the closest shop and gave him the heads up.

What else is there to do? That bike and I have been through a lot together. I would really love to have her returned to me.

Thank you for your input!
Rochesterue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 09:22 PM   #2
TonyfromOR
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
Cry. Get drunk. Start saving for a new one. Seriously, I would check craigslist every day and see if it (or parts of it) turn up. If you do find it, you should be cautious about "taking the law into your own hands".

TonyfromOR screwed with this post 12-04-2013 at 09:22 PM Reason: sp
TonyfromOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 05:25 AM   #3
Rockmuncher
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 750
Bike thieves are scum. I've lost 2. Move on, it's gone.
Rockmuncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 05:34 AM   #4
GSAragazzi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,162
If you had full coverage good for you. Pay the deduct and find yourself one here in the classi.
Say you don't have full and you are bent on finding it, start with Craiglist and backpage but have. Plan once you spot it. Where nd how to approach when you meet. My understanding is tht police won't come snd help unless you have a detective assigned to your case.
Good luck maybe karma already got to the thief and your bike buckled him off

Edit: just re read and no ins. Also saw the pics, cool bike. Go on CL and backpage. Check local and adjacent states. Do a RSS feed on the model or just Kawasaki. Trick they do is misspell the title or name so get creative ie: Kawa saki for sale or KLRR you get the idea. Do a feed like that too.
Last,make your own ad,post that you are a college student looking for a bike and your budget is say $3k. Say you have cash in hand for the right bike. And that you prefer a dirt bike over sport bc of snow etc.

Good luck to you.

GSAragazzi screwed with this post 12-05-2013 at 05:45 AM
GSAragazzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 06:54 AM   #5
r60man
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 336
Sorry to hear about your bike, I had a similar experience as a child my first bike, a mini-bike was stolen right out of my backyard. Police came took a report and did shit. I even knew who took it and told them, but they couldn't even be bothered to go knock on the door. Years later the dude apologized to me for taking it.

I can not really offer any suggestions other than talking to your neighbors. Someone may have seen something. Knock on a few doors and get word around, you never know. If you do find something out call the police back and give them that information. Sometimes you can make a low priority case higher priority.

Do you have any friends in city politics, or with connections? Any organized crime connections? I had a buddy that had a sweet 69 Camaro SS that got stolen, he was friends with a wise guy, he got his car back real quick. You never know. Good luck.

Speed doesn't kill anyone, suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you - Jeremy Clarkson
r60man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 09:30 AM   #6
feathered
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 186
As others have said the police won't give a fuck unless you have some kind of connection. Report it stolen etc since it could always turn up, but they're not going to go all Sherlock Holmes for you.

My stolen bike (exhaust stripped, bike roughed up) was found sitting on the side of a road with a fake dealer tag after almost 2 years.
feathered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 10:53 AM   #7
tvpierce
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 294
First, the obligatory comment: why in the world would anyone steal a KLR?

In all seriousness though, that really sucks! I like KLRs -- especially the pre-'08. I dig the rugged , utilitarian look of them. I'm actually considering one for my next bike.

But as to what's next for you...

The recent thread "Interview with a Vampire" has some good insight into the mind of a recovered motorcycle thief. Most of what he says relates to preventing a bike from being stolen in the first place... but he talks some about how stolen bikes are liquidated. That may be of some help to you.

Best of luck!

"But I had the right of way!" makes a pretty crappy epitaph.
tvpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 11:20 AM   #8
usgser
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,939
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyfromOR View Post
Cry. Get drunk. Start saving for a new one. Seriously, I would check craigslist every day and see if it (or parts of it) turn up. If you do find it, you should be cautious about "taking the law into your own hands".
Yeah w/o comp ins on the bike you pretty well screwed the pooch. If you're lucky some kid just took it for a joy ride and abandoned it somewhere. If pros took it, it was prolly 75% disassembled in the van before it got to the chop shop.
Time to write it off as a lesson hard learned.
usgser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 01:32 PM   #9
EastSideSM
Isn't that dangerous?

Oddometer: 1,476
That sucks. As others said, craigslist/ebay monitor them both for sales of the bike or parts. Any shops around there I would check. Is there anyone you remember paying extra attention to it that seemed kind of sketchy? Go around to any neighbors and ask if they saw anything suspicious. You could also post a reward for stolen bike no questions asked kind of thing. That just really sucks. I hope whoever took it has something bad happen to them (just not on the bike). Another inmate on a different thread had their KTM stolen and it showed up a few houses away in a back yard. Maybe you'll get lucky and some kids took it to joyride and left it somewhere? Fingers crossed for you man!
Old 12-07-2013, 08:04 AM   #10
max384
Disgruntled Student

Oddometer: 3,039
Sorry to hear about your bike being stolen. Scouring CL is of course a good idea. You could also call around to the local bike garages and dealers to see if anyone has tried to sell them a KLR without a title. It's unlikely, but most criminals are stupid.

I think your best bet is to start saving for a new one. The police aren't going to be out looking for it. They've got a million other things to do. If it turns up abandoned, they'll run the vin/plate, but I wouldn't count on them searching back alleys and shady garages for it.

When you buy your next bike, get the proper insurance. Bikes are far too easily and commonly stolen not to have comprehensive coverage.

Pennsylvania to Newfoundland Ride Report
max384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 08:25 AM   #11
orangebear
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,210
Report it stolen and them save for a better bike. And then get insurances that covers you for theft
I wonted my klr650to get stolen as the bike was that rubbish never happend and sold it at loss
Klr650c the 1 I should not of wasted my money on
Honda xl125rc powered by a cg125 block fun wee bike
orangebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 10:22 AM   #12
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,438
Your bike was out of your sight without the steering being locked?

Buy another bike and DON"T DO THAT AGAIN... EVER!!!!
Old 12-07-2013, 10:42 AM   #13
max384
Disgruntled Student

Oddometer: 3,039
Do many people lock their steering? I've never once done it (I do have comprehensive with low deductibles though, so...)

Pennsylvania to Newfoundland Ride Report
max384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 11:19 AM   #14
IRideASlowBike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,598
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
Your bike was out of your sight without the steering being locked?

Buy another bike and DON"T DO THAT AGAIN... EVER!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by max384 View Post
Do many people lock their steering? I've never once done it (I do have comprehensive with low deductibles though, so...)

I prefer using a cover and a disc lock. And/or a heavy chain. Steering locks are easily defeated.

Also, I've had a car bump my bike over while it was parked on the street in Queens, NYC with the handlebars locked. They picked the bike back up, so when I came out the next morning, I didn't know something was wrong right away, but I noticed the handlebars were at a different angle. The steering lock had snapped. Cunts didn't leave a note, of course. My insurance and me had to pay for the damage.
IRideASlowBike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 01:20 PM   #15
Rochesterue OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 100
Thanks for all the input, please keep the ideas coming.
Rochesterue is offline   Reply With Quote