Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-28-2013, 05:43 PM   #646
Luke
GPoET&P

Oddometer: 4,052
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcap View Post
hi all, ive got a bit of a strange question that i thought might not be so strange for you guys considering the riding you all do. it got to do with snow/mud chains. im riding a DR650 around the world at the moment and being in SE Asia right now have found that mud is a pretty common road building material here. and not the nice mud that makes a rider look good blasting through it. this is the slippery shit thats hard to walk on. i used chains once before to get out of the jungle and they worked really well.

now im starting to think about running some 50/50 tires and carrying a set of chains with me all the time. this would give me better tire milage and good grip when i need it. this will mean i wont have to be loading the bike down with heavy and awkward spare offroad tires that dont get as good milage as something more road oriented.

i know this is off topic, but i figured that guys that have more experience with chains than me are probably going to congregate here and could let me know of anything that i need to be aware of when running this kind of setup. good idea? bad idea? why? thanks in advance
Like this?

I thought they worked fairly well in mixed snow, ice and dry pavement. These were regular car chains on a set of D606s, a road legal knobbie.

The changes I made were to add the bungee cords to keep the chains stable on the tires, and some nuts and bolts that went through the chain links in the rear so that there would be some metal sticking up above the knob. There's room for improvement, especially the front chain, but even as is it's way better than nothing and a lot easier than carrying a spare set of tires. No doubt a dedicated set of tires would give much better performance.

The front wheel didn't get very good sideways traction in the snow so staying under power in a turn was important. Braking worked well when upright though. No problems at all with rear wheel traction. Speed was definitely limited to 30mph, above that and the chains would lift off the tire and slap the fender.
Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 06:15 PM   #647
JonU
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 521
Quote:
Originally Posted by scootrboi View Post
How about riding against traffic? Would that make you a better rider? Or on bald tires? Takes a lot of skill. Riding with your helmet on backwards builds intuition. "Feel the Force, Don Coyote."
down: down:
For bad trolling... that is all.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2
JonU is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 06:19 PM   #648
jlambo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 173
Question Maxigrip studs

Anybody used Maxi-grip studs? They screw in with a screw gun and a bit with a stop, and are pretty reasonable, cost wise. Thanks
jlambo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 10:05 PM   #649
Don Coyote
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,097
Quote:
Originally Posted by scootrboi View Post
How about riding against traffic? Would that make you a better rider? Or on bald tires? Takes a lot of skill. Riding with your helmet on backwards builds intuition. "Feel the Force, Don Coyote."
Link me to the threads where people have logged hundreds of hours doing those things and are sharing tips on it- i'll try to read with interest and not make an ass of myself in them...
Old 11-28-2013, 10:23 PM   #650
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,084
I occasionally run chains, they work well if they can bite into the surface, but they don't help at all on black ice.

Here's chains on my studded spare, Dualsport tires and 2wd were all needed this day.
Old 11-28-2013, 11:24 PM   #651
AKDuc
Alaska Born Ducatisti

Oddometer: 6,508
Quote:
Originally Posted by randyo View Post
my theory had proven itself to be correct, have not had any problem stopping on dry pavement, maybe not as quick as unstudded, but not much noticable difference
And I concur.

Below is my stud pattern on my Trackmasters. On my tires and on Randy's the studs seem set in far enough that only the carbide tip of the stud is piercing the ice thus giving maximum rubber contact on pavement. Jules, I hope yours aren't protruding out too far thus lessening rubber contact to pavement. My tires are also studded one knob farther out. These tires are more than 5yrs old now and the edges are getting a little rounded. I'm wondering if I should start thinking about doing up some new ones.

Oh, and I ascribe to the dirtracker's/moto-xer's foot out when getting sideways. I don't get sideways out in traffic on main streets but on side streets it's worked great thru a few winters. Lock to lock baby.

Good luck and have fun, Mark H.

AKDuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 04:09 AM   #652
scootrboi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,272
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Coyote View Post
Link me to the threads where people have logged hundreds of hours doing those things and are sharing tips on it- i'll try to read with interest and not make an ass of myself in them...
That's a really good point. I guess it all depends where you do it.
Old 11-29-2013, 04:32 AM   #653
randyo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,452
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke View Post
Speed was definitely limited to 30mph, above that and the chains would lift off the tire and slap the fender.
thats my experience with chains on car & truck wheels as well, for that reason, I wouldn't consider chains except for temporary use in snow deeper than 6"

I have found the studded Karoo front/ Darkside snow tire rear combo works well on my V-Strom till snow gets about 6" deep

but of course, chains on my rear tire (darkside) is no longer an option, as I have a clearance issue, the tire chains would snag the drive chain, I have less than 1/8 " clearance as it is

with automotive studs, I can comfortably travel at highway speeds up to 65 or 70 on dry pavement and at speeds up to 45-50 mph on packed snow & ice
99 SV650
82 XV920R
A man with a gun is a citizen
A man without a gun is a subject
randyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 05:24 AM   #654
jules083
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,604
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKDuc View Post
Jules, I hope yours aren't protruding out too far thus lessening rubber contact to pavement. My tires are also studded one knob farther out.
They are sticking out too far. I'm hoping they seat a bit deeper once I ride it, I'm not sure.

I thought about going out one more row, I'm not sure how necessary it is. Maybe if I was expecting to ride to work every morning and we got more snow here I would have. I don't know, maybe I should have.
jules083 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 05:38 AM   #655
Mat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 324
Quote:
Originally Posted by jules083 View Post
I thought about going out one more row, I'm not sure how necessary it is. Maybe if I was expecting to ride to work every morning and we got more snow here I would have. I don't know, maybe I should have.
I wouldn't.
Old 12-05-2013, 07:05 PM   #656
Mgbgt89
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,406

Just got my tires studded up. Can't wait to try them out.
Mgbgt89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 09:48 PM   #657
SnowMule
[angry moth noises]

Oddometer: 17,953
I would put more in there.
Old 12-06-2013, 04:54 AM   #658
Mat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 324
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowMule View Post
I would put more in there.
In this case I have to agree, make sure you always have at least one stud in good contact with the road when going straight. If you don't, your rubber just skids and all the studs scratch the air :)

Maybe you could leave out the outermost ones instead next time, depending on your prevalent road conditions. It is always a compromise, and never will be as nice as dry Summer roads with normal tires.
Old 12-06-2013, 08:58 AM   #659
Mgbgt89
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,406
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mat View Post
In this case I have to agree, make sure you always have at least one stud in good contact with the road when going straight. If you don't, your rubber just skids and all the studs scratch the air :)

Maybe you could leave out the outermost ones instead next time, depending on your prevalent road conditions. It is always a compromise, and never will be as nice as dry Summer roads with normal tires.
Outer knobs have no studs, just the centers and intermediate. I can always go back and put more studs in, I didn't want to over stud since they pave the roads with salt here. I've actually slipped more on piled salt than i have on ice and snow. A good 80% of the time this winter they will only see wet and slush. I'll be taking it to an abandoned shopping mall once this storm hits and try it out. The front has 94 studs, 4 out of every repeating group of 16 knobs in the center don't have studs. Outer row has no studs. The rear has 100 studs, Went with a repeating inverted V pattern, far outer knobs no studs again. Pushing on it on a concrete floor feels pretty good, you can feel the stud scrape a bit but the rubber still grabs. I predict similar feeling to riding gravel when the road is not icy.
Mgbgt89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 10:20 AM   #660
Don Coyote
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,097
Has anyone come up with new ideas for winter helmets? I gave up on my HJC IS-MAX because both versions of chin curtains are junk that pops out and without them the cold air getting dumped across my eyes makes long trips unmanageable. I went back to my CL-15, but snowblindness is a problem and i'm not willing to risk another accident by resting glasses on the breath box.

I was at a dealer drooling over the Skidoo BVS2 again, but still can't justify US$400 for a 1/4 of the year helmet, especially not with a +$100 replacement visor.

I'm looking at a Vemar Geo because of the primo internal sun visor, but would have to fit a foggy to it, not sure about the air flow, and the visor isn't pinlock (with no replacements for sale that i'm seeing around).

For half the price there's the HJC IS-16. It would hopefully be all the things i liked about the IS-MAX with a useful chin curtain (and minus the flip up part, not a big deal to me). The only thing is HJC only offers sun visors in light tinting (supposedly safety regulations, although Vemar's is significantly darker).

BTW, the Visorcat looks promising as an answer to destroying visors trying to wipe the road crap off of them with a glove...