Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-01-2013, 09:37 AM   #91
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

Oddometer: 3,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuman View Post
That's truth. After you've ridden or trailered thousands of miles to get to the good stuff, why haul ass through it? I see too many riders taking three days in terrain that would take a month to absorb properly. Give yourself some time.
Well... It all depends on what is your interpretation of good stuff. For some it is the ability to ride great dirt roads with no bags attached to the bike so they can go faster. Not the landscape or history. Nothing wrong with that.

My challenge is that I can appreciate the landscape. So I force myself out of the riding moment to stop and enjoy the landscape and photograph the area. And I always ask questions about the place to the locals. But the good stuff for me is to ride my motorcycle, that's what does it for me. The landscape is a bonus. And I like riding fast, fast to me, which could be slow to many. It is however the speed that puts me in the zone! To which his/her own.

I'd rather be riding!

Lion BR screwed with this post 12-01-2013 at 09:45 AM
Lion BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 06:23 PM   #92
mikem9 OP
Wanderer

Oddometer: 1,194
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion BR View Post
Well... It all depends on what is your interpretation of good stuff. For some it is the ability to ride great dirt roads with no bags attached to the bike so they can go faster. Not the landscape or history. Nothing wrong with that.

My challenge is that I can appreciate the landscape. So I force myself out of the riding moment to stop and enjoy the landscape and photograph the area. And I always ask questions about the place to the locals. But the good stuff for me is to ride my motorcycle, that's what does it for me. The landscape is a bonus. And I like riding fast, fast to me, which could be slow to many. It is however the speed that puts me in the zone! To which his/her own.
Good points Lion BR. I think I need to better define "taking it easy". Taking it easy does not necessarily mean "slow". I think it means riding well within your limits and creating a decent margin of error. The opposite of "taking it easy" would be riding right up to one's limits.
mikem9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 06:48 PM   #93
anotherguy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,936
Like I said it's all about comfort level.
Old 12-01-2013, 07:19 PM   #94
WeazyBuddha
Carbon-Based Humanoid

Oddometer: 4,314
Good thread.

I refer to my limited offroad riding as motorized hiking.

I don't like to frustrate others who are invariably faster than I am so I am back to mostly riding alone.

Things are relative though, led a group on a breakfast ride a month or so ago. I was taking it easy. One had a smile saying it was a perfect pace, my riding buddy who did a bit of endurance racing in his younger days was meh, while the cruiser guy was giddy saying that that was the fastest he'd made it to this particular destination.

Thing about it was that we had a great time jabbering about a variety of subjects over breakfast and there is something to be said about that. At the end of the day it's about enjoying life while we have it.
Old 12-02-2013, 03:07 PM   #95
RideAbout
Mentally Retired

Oddometer: 1,575
Quote:
Originally Posted by joexr View Post
You'll never be any good if you haven't ever pushed it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikem9 View Post
There are those who have pushed it to the edge for many years, including racing. But, now they focus on other goals.

Adventure riding is ... well... an adventure. Might as well smell the roses. If your goal is to prove your 'bad-ass-ness", then wick it up and post the carnage photo's!
Old 12-02-2013, 09:39 PM   #96
JOKER650
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,517
This past summer I took off for 3 day of exploring.

Out on my own I take it easy. Relax and enjoy the scenery, don't want to get hurt out on my own.

I think I had 1 "Moment". A moment of mind wandering and came in to a corner a little HOT.

Everything turned out ok...a bit of a wobble and WTF moment
SO I concentrated on what I was doing again.

I find a "Brisk" pace works out best for me....keeps me on my toes!

Over 2000 plated dirt riders...Digg'n up the dirt every other day, all over BC

http://www.dualsportbc.com/
JOKER650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 09:53 PM   #97
westerlywinds
Two Wheels-Ride it

Oddometer: 163
fast?

Reading through this thread reminded me of much younger me and my motocross Hodaka with me using only two throttle positions full or stopped! in the off track colorado mountain racing with some friends my main competition was a 12 year old on a 80 cc suzuki with a big rear sprocket. I could beat all of them except a combat wombat ( Hodaka) and this kid who was amazing rider.
westerlywinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 09:53 AM   #98
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 6,799
I like both types of riding.

Some days, I'll make familiar loops with the goal of improving my time. These are usually 1 hour loops with 75% off road. I'll get into a rhythm on the bumpy sections, sliding into corner as fast as I dare. If I'm on my game that day, it is a lot of fun to see how hard I can push.

Other days, I'll look for new trails to just putter along. Especially on stormy days, I like to stop for a snack break while I listen to the wind blow through the pine trees. There is something satisfying about being alone in the woods, setting my own pace, and stopping wherever I like to take in the scenery.
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 02:27 PM   #99
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

Oddometer: 3,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOKER650 View Post
This past summer I took off for 3 day of exploring.

Out on my own I take it easy. Relax and enjoy the scenery, don't want to get hurt out on my own.

I think I had 1 "Moment". A moment of mind wandering and came in to a corner a little HOT.

Everything turned out ok...a bit of a wobble and WTF moment
SO I concentrated on what I was doing again.

I find a "Brisk" pace works out best for me....keeps me on my toes!
This is what I mean by being in the zone. For me it is safer to be in total concentration, riding what is fast for me, which is the speed that requires my full concentration. And that's where I have most fun riding. This is what does it for me. And I'm not into crashing and all my crashes on dirt were at 0-5 mph, out of pure distraction on how I mounted the bike or stopped the bike, or stalled it!

The landscape? I have to force myself to stop and photograph it, but I do stop a lot.

In other words, I do not take it easy. But to me it gets easier when going faster.

I'd rather be riding!

Lion BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 07:12 AM   #100
Clockwatcher
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 507
The Full Circle.........

I think that when you are young and unbreakable( you think..) you spend your time trying to learn how to go fast...........
Then at some point you slow down and enjoy the scenery, go down the roads that you just sped by before, and appreciate where you are and what you are doing.
I still like to go fast it helps deal with stress, my wife calls it "blowing some stink off", and improves my attitude.
I think that it comes it stages, like life, good , bad, fast , slow, exploring the new, reliving the old........its all good just enjoy it......
Clockwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 05:20 PM   #101
mflora98ss
Dual Sportin'

Oddometer: 396
I usually ride like a maniac off road, and just take it easy on road. Most people that I know do the exact opposite as I do. Off road I only have to worry about me, where as on road I have to worry about all those FF's with their cell phones in their grubby dick beaters.
mflora98ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 05:56 PM   #102
Benduro
None more black.

Oddometer: 1,688
+1
I ride like a maniac on the dirt and love every minute. On the street, I ride to survive.
Old 12-12-2013, 04:16 PM   #103
Mr Bags
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 539
I now ride like an old fogy. 1st it was motocross in the 70s , than drag racing for a couple years in 80-81 , had kids and just commuted for the next 15 years, did a few scrambles , fell in love with enduros but got busted up several times and switched to dual sport rides, the dual sports got faster and I got older , discovered ADV and liked the travel. I now meander along at my own pace stopping and going where I choose . If i see a trail I will ride it at my leisure. I might even catch a nap while on a ride. I am thinking of getting a hack at some point in the future.
Mr Bags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 11:26 PM   #104
brianwheelies
Iron toocus

Oddometer: 3,094
Fact of the matter is you do what you want.

I prefer a medium pace. Not too boring but able to avoid the broken bones.
brianwheelies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 07:18 PM   #105
Zeid
Adventurer

Oddometer: 379
I've been judged a lot for this but I like an easier trail / fireroad, mainly because I usually have a pillion with me. If I'm by myself I'm up for pretty much anything that excludes heights and putting me on the edge of them. I've driven vehicles and ridden motorcycles in some pretty scary places in scary conditions that most people would cringe at youtube videos over, but when it comes to personal pleasure I don't like going in those places, I like an easier path I can spend time enjoying and the scenery around it. People can say what they want, but when I ride off road or on, I like to enjoy it, not stress about "...one wrong move and it's over." I guess it's because I have enough of that in my line of work.