Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-03-2013, 11:55 PM   #1561
Harvey Krumpet
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 858
I has done it recently in a fit of madness. The G/F's DT 230 has been off the road for a couple of months for an engine rebuild. Back on the road now & as part of the running in time I thought it was a good idea to do GP 8's on gravel.
Erm, skills wise it's like stropping your razor, brake, throttle & grip are tenuous as speed builds up, it goes wrong very quickly. Makes you get on the throttle very early & stops you from braking to turn, squeeze & go, no holding the brakes as you lean. Same with the throttle, no messing about, the bike starts to slide you have to gas it, sideways. Which wrecks your lines. Bloody hilarious & very sweaty, though.
Harvey Krumpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 04:25 AM   #1562
RichBeBe
All Hail Seitan!!!

Oddometer: 6,049
Also did some on the dirt, it made a groove pretty quickly and you end up riding berms whichj is different than Gymkhana. Did it on a hard packed gravel road, fun, but slippery.
Old 12-06-2013, 04:21 AM   #1563
Motogymkhanaman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 211
So the idea seems to be that any off-road version of Moto Gymkhana would be much better on a gravel surface and not a dirt/mud surface.

It will certainly be worthwhile us carrying out a few experiments especially since our friends at Touratech have access to some really big gravel areas.
Old 12-06-2013, 06:40 AM   #1564
mitch96
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 131
[QUOTE=Motogymkhanaman;22930733]So the idea seems to be that any off-road version of Moto Gymkhana would be much better on a gravel surface and not a dirt/mud surface.

The reason I asked about a "DirtKhana" was the fall down factor. My balance is really crappy and when I go low and slow I fall down sometimes. Don't get me wrong it's nice to find your limits and dirt is softer than tarmac… I was thinking if I'm always worried about dumping I will never truly know the limit of lean angle and speed. If I dump a few times in the dirt I have a sense of how far I can go and translate it to my GP-8…

What 'cha tink ?
Old 12-06-2013, 07:06 AM   #1565
RichBeBe
All Hail Seitan!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motogymkhanaman View Post
So the idea seems to be that any off-road version of Moto Gymkhana would be much better on a gravel surface and not a dirt/mud surface.

It will certainly be worthwhile us carrying out a few experiments especially since our friends at Touratech have access to some really big gravel areas.
Yeah, gravel is much better. But it has to be real hard packed. At my camp I set up a small course on a packed dirt parking lots, that had gravel in it as well. It was fun, but I was more sliding and backing it in than lock to lock to make turns. Probably more of a dirt skill than road IMO. But it was fun, and I will do it again in the spring.
My friend who I was with thought it was more fun to have more of a flat track course and promptly found out how hard it is to back it in and slide through a corner. She wants to do the American Superbike Camp now.
Old 12-06-2013, 09:20 AM   #1566
Motogymkhanaman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 211
Mitch, I understand your concerns with the 'fall down' factor and the fact it's often a softer landing on the dirt than it is on Tarmac!

Regular Moto Gymkhana riders both in the Europe and Japan pretty quickly take on-board the advice from the masters to "stick a pad on everything that sticks out", or in other words get some really good armour in your jeans and jacket. Same thing applies to the bike where pretty well all the riders have some sort of crashbar or sports bumper fitted to the bike along wiith crash mushrooms and exhaust guard plates etc.

The other thing that the more scratched and battered your riding kit is, the faster and less frightened you will be. This 'pre-disastering' of your kit means that you are less likely to be worried about ruining your gear if it is already ruined! In Japan if you turn up with a nice new set of leather jeans or shiny new boots, all the other riders will proceed to drag you around the car park in them until they are all roughed up and scratched!

Once you start to really get into going fast in Moto Gymkhana, falls become an occupational hazard, but luckily they rarely happen at speeds much above walking pace, so they tend not to do too much damage or hurt a lot.

The great Yoshinobu Shiga jokingly says that if he hasn't fallen off at least ten times during a practice session then he's not trying anywhere near hard enough!
Old 12-06-2013, 09:56 AM   #1567
mitch96
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 131
The great Yoshinobu Shiga jokingly says that if he hasn't fallen off at least ten times during a practice session then he's not trying anywhere near hard enough![/QUOTE]

A-men to that.
Old 12-06-2013, 12:46 PM   #1568
Harvey Krumpet
Studly Adventurer

I would not try gymkhana on gravel on the TDM, to heavy to kick back up, the DT only weighs 130kg & responds well to a boot when the front slides.

I rolled off the DT doing lock to lock 8's through a 1mtr gate, slowly built up speed & lean until I found myself having a lie down & wondering how I got there. No indication, no sense of falling, nothing, just lying down. Only damage was to the handle bars, slight bend, which I have not bothered to straighten.
Old 12-06-2013, 12:56 PM   #1569
Vulfy OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 542
Yeah, falls and slides are really not all that bad in Gymkhana. Obviously it is still a fall, and there is still a chance to get hurt, but for the most part, IF you have good protection for your joints and skin, you should be fine.

Get good gloves too, with proven record in crash scenarios, especially stitching. Found out the hard way

Last practice session we had three people drop their bikes. Two due to too low of a speed around the cone, and one sliding out his rear with too aggressive throttle out of the corner. Everybody is fine, and no damage to the bikes. A few scratches here and there, but overall everybody had good time.

As you start out with this, you'll be going at slow enough pace that even if you drop your bike, its not even a low side, but just a drop. Dirt and gravel setup sounds a lot of fun, and I really want to try it out myself, but as helpful as it is for overall riding skills, you won't be getting same practice and muscle memory that you'll be able to use on tarmac, going around same cone. So if the only reason to go to dirt, is a softer landing, I say get good armor and go to the parking long. On the other hand if you spend most of your time on the dirt, then more power to you to be riding Gymkhana on a loose surface.

I personally would love to learn how to get the rear to step out like they do on a flat track, without actually falling flat on my ass
Vulfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 01:04 PM   #1570
RichBeBe
All Hail Seitan!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulfy View Post
I personally would love to learn how to get the rear to step out like they do on a flat track, without actually falling flat on my ass
One weekend I will take you out for some dirt. I have a spare XT225 that is fun for that
Old 12-06-2013, 01:08 PM   #1571
Vulfy OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 542

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichBeBe View Post
One weekend I will take you out for some dirt. I have a spare XT225 that is fun for that
Vulfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 03:47 PM   #1572
Redclayrider
Long time gone

Oddometer: 289
Circle of dirt;

A circle of trust in the dirt.
Redclayrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 09:11 PM   #1573
Harvey Krumpet
Studly Adventurer

That's my next garden project!! Compiling a list of jobs for the digger, it just got bigger.

Prolly the main crossover with dirt & tar seal is being relaxed / fluid on the bike & reaction time when it goes wrong. It goes wrong a lot on gravel. The only time it went wrong for me on tar I rolled. Admittedly to react that fast I would need to see the future.
Old 12-08-2013, 12:08 AM   #1574
jeepinbanditrider
Dunkin Donuts Crasher

Oddometer: 1,128
I saw those all over the place up at El Mirage dry lake a while back. I wondered what they hell people used them for. They defiantly weren't natural formations.
jeepinbanditrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 04:19 AM   #1575
ohgood
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redclayrider View Post
Circle of dirt;

A circle of trust in the dirt.
I've been confusing people they find my big circles of fail for this post summer. not near a circle rut (enduro skills) and not quite full of trust (Alabama has lots of rocks)

but it sure it's fun