Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-06-2013, 03:49 PM   #5086
charlie27
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by RidingNorcal View Post
Hey Guys,

This thread is obviously loaded with good stuff but I have a family and get through it all. I have some ideas for my new 2014 500 EXC that I'm picking up, and I want to hear feedback if I'm on the right track and get any input you want to give, for how to set it up from day one. I know all the info is here somewhere, but maybe this would be quicker, if its not too much trouble. Gong to use it 50/50 for single track and trips to the store on the road. No long road runs (yet) unless its on the mountain on a dual sport ride to connect trails. My ideas are:

-Change gearing to 14-50. New chain needed.
-Remap and take smog stuff out, remove screen, run stock exhaust.
-TrailTech Voyager. Billet case need or is it just bling? Voyager ok unit?
-Springs to my weight, if needed-240 without gear, average rider. Recommendations?
-I have a Scotts stabilizer I want to use, need to get mount. Under or over mount? Im 6'1" Whats been most comfortable?
-Wheels balanced
-Rear rack-Pro Moto Billet? Or other?
-I was thinking footpegs, Fast Way Adventure. Are stockers ok? Or is it a good upgrade? Adventure too big?
-Softer seat, gutz or similar. Just cause I like to sit and cruise sometimes.

That's my list so far to get started. Please let me know your thoughts!
skid plate recommended
charlie27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 03:57 PM   #5087
Stifdickerson2006
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenMoto View Post
Hey guys, I've been powering through this thread, and not having any luck. Can anyone summarize what (if any) differences there are from 2012 -> 2013 and 2013 -> 2014 models?

I'm looking to replace my XR650R with a Katoom, just trying to figure out if it's worth the money to grab a current model year bike, or go for a leftover for a grand less.

Also, for my fellow desert riders, how does it handle the deep sand (like Afton Canyon)? One thing I loved about my XR was how stable it was in a sand wash.

Any comments on either subject would be much appreciated.

Cheers!
I ride my 12 500 in the desert (Randsberg,Jawbone area) alot and love it. very steady steed if the suspension is set up for your weight, but I also use a Scotts stabilizer. If your coming from a XR 650, this bike is going to blow your mind. It probably does not have the out of box stability of the 650 in the desert but it is alot lighter and it feels like a much smaller bike when your riding it(ergos). Being that you are in Cali(like myself) I had a down payment on a 13 until I found out that with the EXC's after january 13th you can no longer put a a/m pipe on your street bike (yes I do have it mapped and desmogged). Once I heard that I bought a new 12 500 exc so I could try and keep cali nazi's as far away from my stuff as possible. In my reading and opinion on the differences it is not worth it to me to let the government have a possible foothold on what I do with my bike. JMO and yes they are like A#@holes. You will be very happy with any 12-14 very minor changes between the yrs like mapping, different bearings in the 14's motor and a change from black Giant rims 2012 to silver excel rims 13's-14's a few other very minor items that to my observation have not made me regret my 12 500. Hope this helps.
Old 12-06-2013, 04:21 PM   #5088
ZenMoto
Bikeslut

Oddometer: 671
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stifdickerson2006 View Post
I ride my 12 500 in the desert (Randsberg,Jawbone area) alot and love it. very steady steed if the suspension is set up for your weight, but I also use a Scotts stabilizer. If your coming from a XR 650, this bike is going to blow your mind. It probably does not have the out of box stability of the 650 in the desert but it is alot lighter and it feels like a much smaller bike when your riding it(ergos). Being that you are in Cali(like myself) I had a down payment on a 13 until I found out that with the EXC's after january 13th you can no longer put a a/m pipe on your street bike (yes I do have it mapped and desmogged). Once I heard that I bought a new 12 500 exc so I could try and keep cali nazi's as far away from my stuff as possible. In my reading and opinion on the differences it is not worth it to me to let the government have a possible foothold on what I do with my bike. JMO and yes they are like A#@holes. You will be very happy with any 12-14 very minor changes between the yrs like mapping, different bearings in the 14's motor and a change from black Giant rims 2012 to silver excel rims 13's-14's a few other very minor items that to my observation have not made me regret my 12 500. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the feedback; exactly what I was looking for. ...conveniently, I still have my Ohlins / Scotts damper in a box in the garage! :)

I'm going to be on a quest to make this happen in the very near future (like before Christmas). ...you know, so the registration comes due before the holidays; not immediately after! lol

Thanks again.

Save $5 on a photo hosting accout at
https://www.smugmug.com/signup.mg by inserting cupon code R1bXVzHCYtHts
ZenMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 08:18 AM   #5089
Colemanfu
King of all manfu

Oddometer: 3,356
2012 ktm 500 exc?

Warped screen filter?

Discovered during this mornings oil change. Guessing it got a little warm?
Old 12-07-2013, 08:43 AM   #5090
AussieClay
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colemanfu View Post
Warped screen filter?

Discovered during this mornings oil change. Guessing it got a little warm?
Could be... or otherwise is it possible it may not have been fully seated correctly when you installed it last time and it compressed when you did it up(?)
AussieClay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 11:04 AM   #5091
noahr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieClay View Post
Could be... or otherwise is it possible it may not have been fully seated correctly when you installed it last time and it compressed when you did it up(?)
2nd that. I'm guessing it didn't get pushed in all the way.

See service note.

noahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 04:42 PM   #5092
rufus
We're burning daylight...

Oddometer: 3,986
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengt Phorks View Post
Nope, All you will get is a resistance reading. You need a voltage reading.
The tool provides the voltage needed to get a reading and a place to plug in the voltmeter.

Thanks!

I had the remap done and put an FMF muffler on it. I only have about 30 miles on it but it still seems to be running hot.

Last weekend I rode about 20 miles in the woods and the fan kicked on a LOT even though it was only about 50 degrees outside. I am an A rider and kept my speed up. I feel like the fan should have never kicked on that day. Still getting a little backfire on decel. My TPS tool is supposed to be here monday and maybe we'll have better weather next weekend (2 degrees this morning) so I can try the TPS reset.

Things were slow and the mechanic let me watch him doing the remap, his computer says the new map is on there, but I am wondering. Do I need the map switch to make sure of which map is selected?
rufus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 06:04 PM   #5093
Velociraptor
TrackBum

Oddometer: 1,021
Count me in!

Picked up a 2014 EXC 500 today. Traded in my 2010 KTM 990 Supermoto R which has been having immobilizer problems. I asked what they would offer me for the 990 and it was a very good offer so I went for it. Now have a 2009 690r and the 500. First impressions are that the 500 is a featherweight compared to my 690 and makes decent power stone stock. Will try to not do to much to the bike-famous last words. But for sure bigger tank, blockoff plates, steering damper, rear rack. Probably a good led light too. Will start reading this thread back to front. A good chance I will remove the little injector filter if it has one and put a bigger filter upstream. I won't ask to many questions now as most are probably already answered in this thread.o
2002 RC51 SOLD
2010 KTM 990 Supermoto R SOLD
Velociraptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 07:54 PM   #5094
StepOnIt
Assitoner

Oddometer: 932
690 gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velociraptor View Post
Picked up a 2014 EXC 500 today. Traded in my 2010 KTM 990 Supermoto R which has been having immobilizer problems. I asked what they would offer me for the 990 and it was a very good offer so I went for it. Now have a 2009 690r and the 500. First impressions are that the 500 is a featherweight compared to my 690 and makes decent power stone stock. Will try to not do to much to the bike-famous last words. But for sure bigger tank, blockoff plates, steering damper, rear rack. Probably a good led light too. Will start reading this thread back to front. A good chance I will remove the little injector filter if it has one and put a bigger filter upstream. I won't ask to many questions now as most are probably already answered in this thread.o
Ya I had a 690e and now a 500, what a difference between the two. I also felt that the 690 felt like it had more power (yes I know it did) but the 500 does not need any more I feel. Great bike but I feel now the only down side is not puttin the milage on it. The 690 I would just ride anywhere just because I can and now it is should I on the 500. Guess it is because the maintnece intervals and time between rebuilds maybe. But that's the only downside lol.

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day." Dean Martin
StepOnIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 08:00 PM   #5095
Stifdickerson2006
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by rufus View Post
Thanks!

I had the remap done and put an FMF muffler on it. I only have about 30 miles on it but it still seems to be running hot.

Last weekend I rode about 20 miles in the woods and the fan kicked on a LOT even though it was only about 50 degrees outside. I am an A rider and kept my speed up. I feel like the fan should have never kicked on that day. Still getting a little backfire on decel. My TPS tool is supposed to be here monday and maybe we'll have better weather next weekend (2 degrees this morning) so I can try the TPS reset.

Things were slow and the mechanic let me watch him doing the remap, his computer says the new map is on there, but I am wondering. Do I need the map switch to make sure of which map is selected?
Check your thermostat housing. I had the same issue and found an aluminium shaving (probably left over from their milling process or from the radiators? It was lodged in the thermostat spring and would not let it open. I have since eliminated the thermostat and added Evans water less coolant. Can't remember the last time my fan kicked on. And when it does it's just for a few seconds.
Old 12-07-2013, 10:11 PM   #5096
Bengt Phorks
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 195
Quote:
Thanks!

There is only one map in the ECU. The map switch just changes the ignition timing + or - 2 Degrees. Without the map switch the ignition is in the standard setting. You can make your own switch or plugs that will change the setting - GOOGLE it.
Changing the silencer can make the bike run leaner which makes it run hotter. You may be able to correct it with the TPS set a little richer or you can get a JD Tuner. The Euro model bikes have an O2 sensor in the exhaust to monitor the mixture.
Bengt Phorks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 12:19 AM   #5097
AussieClay
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
Quote:
Thanks!

Which map did you have installed? The map switch only works with the unrestricted EU map. Makes a noticeable difference to the power delivery.
AussieClay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 03:54 AM   #5098
rufus

[QUOTE=AussieClay;22944434The map switch only works with the unrestricted EU map. Makes a noticeable difference to the power delivery.[/QUOTE]

That's what I got.
Old 12-08-2013, 03:55 AM   #5099
rufus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengt Phorks View Post
There is only one map in the ECU. The map switch just changes the ignition timing + or - 2 Degrees. Without the map switch the ignition is in the standard setting. You can make your own switch or plugs that will change the setting - GOOGLE it.
Changing the silencer can make the bike run leaner which makes it run hotter. You may be able to correct it with the TPS set a little richer or you can get a JD Tuner. The Euro model bikes have an O2 sensor in the exhaust to monitor the mixture.

Thanks again.

Now I am less ignorant than I was when I got up.
Old 12-08-2013, 11:59 AM   #5100
240nekkid
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
2012 500 EXC FWIW so far

Good Morning Rats!-
I've been wanting to throw out a progress report on my experience with my '12 500 for a little while and finally have the time and inclination to do so. Sorry, but no pics. My technical prowess does have its limits. So a little about me. I'm 48, currently around 205 and about 6'. I'd consider myself a moderately paced rider who knows what my limits are on most days... Just a regular middle aged dude who likes speed and adrenaline but has to get back to work come monday.
I have around 3000 miles of probably 60% dirt on mine and so far no problems. I blew through the stock rear pretty quickly. My first replacement rear was a pirelli mt43 and I loved it! Did everything but mud. Still had great traction even with 20% life left. Just threw on a set of Kenda 720's and hated them. Maybe I haven't given them a sufficient chance, but they are really slick and inspire zero confidence. I'll probably put them back on next summer and burn them up on my commute. I replaced them with a pirelli scorpion mid-soft front and D606 in the rear. I also just installed a tubliss with the rear. I only have about 5 miles on the new system, but so far so good!
I've checked the valves a couple of times and they're all good. I picked up a JD tuner and after playing around with it a bit have settled on the recommended settings. Settled the backfiring and I actually had to adjust my riding a bit with it. Woke up a sleeping giant. I've had it since the bike was new and love what its done. Stock map. Haven't done anything to the throttle body. I never experienced any of the fuel screen issues that some of the guys were complaining about early on, but I did remove the 10 micron screen downstream of the quick-disconnect. So far so good.
I installed the sicass rear fender and low profile blinker kit and have been happy with that. I have the ktm plastic skid plate and it's held up well, but I haven't taken a hard kick to the guts with it either. Aside from the tuner, the other big improvement I've made is switching to the Baja Designs Squadron headlight. That thing is awesome. I highly recommend this system. I bought the dimmer switch because I started commuting to work. I'm not an electrical engineer, but it seems like they could have done a better job with that. The box is like a brick and the key fob has its merits, but it still all seems like an afterthought.
I try to change my oil every 15 hours, and it comes out clean every time. I had some very minor flaking during the first couple changes, but nothing of any real significance. I ran dino oil for the first 3 or 4 oil changes and have since switched to synthetic. Smoked a little in the beginning but after the rings seated, nothing.
When I bought the bike I weighed a bit more than I do now. Initially I was going to have it resprung, but I thought losing 50 lbs was cheaper and probably the better way to go. Turns out I was right. I lost the weight and feel like I got back 20 years. And the bike has responded in kind. I run my forks up in the clamps on the third ring and have my rear tire back as far as it will go. I run the sport setting and I'm pretty happy with it. Turns fairly nice and soaks up most things at the speed I ride at. I am currently running 14/48, but will probably switch to 14/50 next time. I'm still running the stock bars and will add some risers soon.
Last summer I started riding to work. I have about a 45 mile ride up a twisty mountain road and its been a blast. I'm lucky enough to have a job out in the forests of norcal and many times get to ride after work. I opted for the rack offered by real tyme engineering and have been really happy with it. Since I often spend 4 or more days at work, I'm able to load the saddle bags with all my food and such and it gets me through my shift. The one and only drawback to this rack, and its really pretty minor, is the placement of the mounting struts. However, this is of course where the rack gets its strength. The way they're mounted to the subframe mount, it turns my heels out and after a summer of riding like that I'd had enough. But the nice thing is, I had the rack off in about 10 minutes and am back to normal for winter dirt! I'll put it back on next summer and roll with it. I may try the promoto rack next. It looks like a nice piece and the guys who have it seem to be pretty happy with it.
I still have the stock battery and exhaust with the screen pulled out. All in all, this bike has been flawless and has been the perfect fit for what I'm doing these days.
240nekkid is offline   Reply With Quote