http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/g...Picture019.jpg
grandkodiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 09:29 PM   #1367
SF_Hooligan
Deadwood Original

Oddometer: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by grandkodiak View Post
Any idea what what are? Tires, signals, luggage racks, handlebars, trees, cars...?

If you mean the tires, the rear looks like a Dunlop D616, and the front maybe a K330.

SF_Hooligan screwed with this post 12-06-2013 at 09:38 PM
SF_Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 11:36 PM   #1368
DiabloADV
Semi-Occasional

Oddometer: 2,174
If I was buying the square headed 1150 bike, I'd get a rockster for sure. I think they're cool and the more leaned forward riding position is better on a naked bike.

I just know I will own one some day. The copper colored one calls to me
'91 Bill Holland Steel w/Dura Ace

'01 Z3 3.0 Coupe. The Clownshoe.
DiabloADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 11:43 PM   #1369
fallingoff
Banned

Oddometer: 3,677
Just sold my sons r 850 r 96 mod.
Rode it to the new owners.
I wish I had kept it for
Myself,
Magic last ride.
Very underrated .
Cheers
fallingoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 11:52 PM   #1370
Brimoto
Desert Druid

Oddometer: 8
closed for winter damn...

[IMG][/IMG]
Brimoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 12:04 AM   #1371
Brimoto
Desert Druid

Oddometer: 8
big bike big tree

July trip to Salem rally
I don't need no stinking fairing...[IMG][/IMG]
Brimoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 03:39 AM   #1372
David R
I been called a Nut Job..

Oddometer: 2,383
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brimoto View Post
[IMG][/IMG]

That would make a nice calendar picture.
Old 12-07-2013, 07:57 AM   #1373
BigEasy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,595
Quote:
Originally Posted by David R View Post
That would make a nice calendar picture.
Get it over to the folks on the 1150.org page. They're starting to assemble the r12r calandra for next year.

"Play hard and FLOOR IT" Stevie Ray Vaughan

just remember: the only difference between genius and stupidity is genius has limits
BigEasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 08:20 AM   #1374
RedFrogTango
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 670
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZappBranigan View Post
Well another option might be to mount the fuel to the rack (2 gallons of gas shouldn't be more than 15lbs) and put the water inside one of the side cases. It wouldn't take up that much room, and the weight would be low.

Just curious but where are you going that you need all this extra fuel and water? IIRC the 1150R has a ~5.5 gallon tank, yes? Should be good for at least 200 miles unless your MPG is absolutely terrible, and 250 should not be out of the question (figuring 50 MPG and a .5 gallon reserve.)

I guess I have a different perspective coming off of relatively short-range bikes. The longest range I ever got from a bike was in my Scrambler, if I rode fairly slow I could get to about 160 before hitting reserve pretty reliably. A few times I was able to get more than 170 miles to reserve, but I never would count on that (for planning purposes I always figured 150 miles max between fuel stops.) And even living in the arid West where gas stations can be few and far between, I've never felt the need to carry extra fuel.
I setting the bike up for IBA type rallies and a trip to Alaska. I have a range of about 230 miles, but have run it down near empty looking for open gas stations in the middle of the night. I'd feel a whole lot better carrying some spare fuel (and water).
RedFrogTango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 08:32 AM   #1375
txplants
Pastafarian

Oddometer: 251
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedFrogTango View Post
I'm trying to figure out the best location to mount a couple of Rotopax 1.75 or 2 gallon containers (one for fuel and one for water). I don't like the idea of mounting them to the BMW system cases - it may not even be possible.

So far, the best I have come up with is to fashion (custom build) a bracket that will attach to the rear luggage rack and extend forward over the pillion seat (I have a BMW 1-piece comfort seat). I think there is enough room to mount two Rotopax end-to-end on top of the rack. I can then strap a duffel back on top of the Rotopax.

The only other alternative would be to get a top box and mount the Rotopax to the sides of the top box. But that would move the weight of teh fuel & water much higher and further back.

Any thoughts or other ideas?
R1200R? This looks like it could be further machined to accept the RotopaX standard mounting bracket...
txplants is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 08:50 AM   #1376
SF_Hooligan
Deadwood Original

Oddometer: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedFrogTango View Post
I setting the bike up for IBA type rallies and a trip to Alaska. I have a range of about 230 miles, but have run it down near empty looking for open gas stations in the middle of the night. I'd feel a whole lot better carrying some spare fuel (and water).
I've thought about similar mounting after getting down to very nervous fuel levels a few times. Have you considered mounting a couple bottles somewhere? Right now, I'll strap a couple of MSR fuel bottles to the topcase mounting frame so they hang out on top of the sidecases, using Wolfman bottle holsters. It's not super pretty, but it works.

You could also try adapting the Best Rest peg packers. Also not real pretty.

I've also considered making a rack extension, but I think what I'll ultimately do is have a custom seat made. I picked up another R1200R seat and am planning to turn it into a solo seat with a rack on the back section, that is level with the rear rack.
SF_Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 11:09 AM   #1377
FredRydr
Danger: Keep Back 500 Ft.

Oddometer: 2,052
Quote:
Originally Posted by SF_Hooligan View Post
You could also try adapting the Best Rest peg packers.
Thank you for this! It is the best solution I've seen for spare fuel, water or other extra weight carried low on my F800GS.

Fred
FredRydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 12:50 PM   #1378
comac90
RedBull Addict

Oddometer: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by SF_Hooligan View Post
Interesting... occasionally, the heated grips on my 2011 occasionally don't come on. I generally leave the switch on all the time in the winter, and once or twice a month I'll fire up the bike, hit the road, and then down the road a piece notice that the heated grips aren't on. Flipping the switch on and off doesn't do anything, but killing the bike and starting it again does. I keep meaning to ask the folks at SF BMW, but keep forgetting. Did the mention if the bulletin is 2013-only? This sounds like a very similar issue.
My 2010 does the EXACT same thing. I've been meaning to ask the dealer, too, but I never think about it when I'm there … at 2-3 times per month (commuting daily), it's annoying, but apparently not annoying enough for me to remember to ask. lol …… however, I have started firing up the bike while I'm getting my jacket/helmet on, just to make sure the grips heat up prior to heading out.
Old 12-08-2013, 03:08 PM   #1379
Dieselpwr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 385
so how many of you looked under your gas cap lately? apparently happens on all 1200R tanks. There's a thread on the 1200 forum about this issue.http://www.r1200rforum.com/forum/bmw...-12/must-3018/

btw, the top screw is completley seized. Had to drill out the head to remove the red rubber thing. Letting it sit overnight soaking in PB blaster and giving it a try tomorrow. WTF BMW, why leave this area bare metal?

Old 12-08-2013, 03:19 PM   #1380
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,655
Quote:
Originally Posted by grandkodiak View Post
Anyone know what shipped from the dealer on an '03 BMW r1150r?

Second, assuming you already own one of these or similiar, is there something better that people are using? Ride year round in NJ so we see 0-105 degrees F in the course of a year but I normally ride 35-90 degrees average, on small occassions in rain but mostly dry roads, however they are in awefull condition in NJ so I see potholes that can eat a lama, sand, gravel bits, truck tires... the works lol.

General consensus looks like Michelin Pilot Road 3s might be a gread sport touring tire?
My '03 had/has Pilot 2's. When the time comes I'll go to 3's. I've put 30000 miles on the bike and all I've ever run is 2's