ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-10-2013, 06:27 AM   #1
DC2013 OP
n00b

Oddometer: 1
WA State reg again: need both on-road & ORV tags? What about the Discover Pass?

This is mostly a set of questions for tod701.
Ive seen the thread at http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=196982

with many concerned questions and differing opinions. User tod701 was most authoritative, having written many of the laws. Even so, Im still not clear. I'm gonna describe my understanding of the tag and pass requirements, and I'd appreciate authoritative corrections. Anecdotal reports of being cited by DNR or Rangers, or not, are helpful but not authoritative.

Let me take it step by step.

Before getting into it, it's worth remembering that DNR receives funds from the Discover Pass. It is intended to fund state parks. Funds from ORV tabs go directly to ORV facilities.

OK, first: In WA State, You need a street (CYC) registration to ride on the road.

You need an ORV registration to ride on state-managed off-road areas.
Except! Per Tod, vehicles sold from the original manufacturer with street plates are exempt (for now, as of June 2013) from Washington State ORV permit requirements. See RCW46.09.420(6)
http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=46.09.420

So, if you have a dirt bike, used on state land, including but not limited to ORV parks like Tahuya, you need an ORV tab.

If you have a plated bike, and it was originally sold as a dual-purpose bike (examples: Yam WR250R, or KTM 530EXC), then you dont need an ORV tab to ride both road and ORV areas. [But you may need a Disco pass. See below.]

If you have a converted bike, such as a WR250F or CRF450R with a plate, then you need both plate and ORV tab to ride both road and ORV areas. Motorcycles converted for dual use pursuant to RCW46.61.705 must be dual registered. http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=46.61.705

Let me ask about some examples:

Suppose I have an ORV-only registered bike, like a KTM 300SX with ORV tabs. At Tahuya on the ORV trails, I need the ORV tabs, and I don't need a Discover Pass or a CYC registration.

But if I am riding in a non ORV area on state land, like the paved roads leading through Tahuya State Park, then I need a plate and CYC reg, because its a public road. Also I need a Discover Pass. The ORV tabs mean nothing in a non-ORV area.

Question 1. Right?

Suppose I have a dirt bike, like a Yam WR450F, that Ive modified for dual use. It has a horn, flashers, and a WA plate and ORV tabs. At Tahuya on the ORV trails, I need the ORV tabs, and I don't need a Discover Pass.

If I am riding in a non-ORV area on state land, like the paved roads leading through Tahuya State Park, then I need a CYC registration and plate. This example is for a dual-registered bike, so Im good here. I also need a Discover Pass, because it is state land + state road. The ORV tabs mean nothing here.

Question 2. Right?

Suppose I have street-registered dual-sport bike, like a Yam WR250R. I do not have ORV tabs. At Tahuya on the ORV trails, I don't need ORV tabs, because I have a CYC registration on the dual-sport (non-converted) bike. I also dont need a Discover Pass to use the bike on these trails.

But if I am riding the paved roads leading through Tahuya State Park, then I need a CYC registration + plate (which I have in this example) and I also need a Discover Pass.

Question 3. Right?

Q4. What about USFS roads? Do I need CYC+Plate? Do I need an ORV? Discover pass?

In my mind, the Discover Pass is simple:

If you must be street legal to drive/ride where you are at and that is a location where a D-pass is required, then the D-pass is still required regardless of whether or not you have an ORV permit. The Discover Pass implies a use fee for State parks, and ORV tabs dont suffice to meet the obligation. One exception are roads within DNR managed public land, which belong to the county. Discover Passes are not required on county roads. Many ORV trailheads are accessed thru DNR land via county roads. In that case, then no D-pass is required.

I should think of the Discover Pass is just an overlay usage fee, for state parks. It applies to vehicles which must be licensed for the road.

If I transport bikes to an ORV park with a truck, I will certainly need a Discover pass for the truck, regardless as to the registration status of the bikes.

A dual-registered vehicle needs a D-pass anywhere within a D-pass area where the vehicle must also be street legal.

Examples:

State Park roads.
WDFW roads **if you are required to be street legal to use them.
DNR roads **if you are required to be street legal to use them.

Question 5: Is all of this correct?

I'd appreciate clear answers.
I know this has probably been discussed many times, but I'm still not clear.
Thanks.
DC2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 06:45 AM   #2
lamotovita
Ageing Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,354
Before I would spend any time worrying about all those questions I would just buy all the permits. That's what the state wants anyway.
Old 12-10-2013, 07:46 AM   #3
layzrider
Layzrider

Oddometer: 116
National Forests registration requirements

If you have a Washington plated bike, no ORV tag is required or Disc Pass is required in Washington for National Forests. You do need an Oregon orv tag to ride off road on public lands in Oregon.

If you have a Washington non-plated bike, a Washington orv tag is required to ride on public lands in Wa. An Ore orv tag is not OK for a WA bike in WA.
layzrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 08:53 AM   #4
tod701
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 870
In Washington State, if you have valid street plates then an ORV permit is not required.

1 (part 1). Yes

1 (part 2). Yes and no. As of September 2013 pursuant to RCW79A.80.080(2)(c) you no longer need a D-pass to drive on DNR or WDFW managed roads.

2 (part 1). ORV tabs are not required, but if you dont have them a D-pass is required.

2 (part 2) See question 1 (part 2)

3 (part 1) If you dont have an ORV permit, then you will need a D-pass.

3. (part 2) See question 1 (part 2)

4 (part 1) To ride on many USFS roads a street plate is required. On some it is not. That determination is up to each forest district to define. If a plate is not required, then an ORV permit is. The D-pass requirements do not apply to federal land.

4 (part 2) Correct - A dual-registered vehicle needs a D-pass anywhere within a D-pass area where the vehicle must also be street legal.

Hope that helps.
Old 12-10-2013, 09:50 AM   #5
Maxacceleration
What now

Oddometer: 1,885
This is the most complicated bunch of bs ever. I have never had a ranger or leo that could explain what the hell is going on.
This is all hoops for (minimal) revenue, which IMO we do not see go back into the trails (for maintenance) such as in Oregon.
It is an early step to land closure when the g men (state or fed) say we are not complying so therefore....
There should be ONLY two reg's needed total. One for state land and one for federal land. ONLY, et al. Covering hiking, camping, equestrian, motorized, bicycles and so on.
There should be no favoritism or breaks for any one land user over another.

This is a typical and classic showing of overcomplicated failure of our city, county, state and federal governments to do anything sensible.
Jeezus.

Do I detect some lawyer speak with the OP? Looks like someone is trying to work out a ticket... Nice first post.
Sounds dangerous.
Maxacceleration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 10:31 AM   #6
Double H
Hurricane Harry

Oddometer: 1,342
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxacceleration View Post
This is the most complicated bunch of bs ever. I have never had a ranger or leo that could explain what the hell is going on.
This is all hoops for (minimal) revenue, which IMO we do not see go back into the trails (for maintenance) such as in Oregon.
It is an early step to land closure when the g men (state or fed) say we are not complying so therefore....
There should be ONLY two reg's needed total. One for state land and one for federal land. ONLY, et al. Covering hiking, camping, equestrian, motorized, bicycles and so on.
There should be no favoritism or breaks for any one land user over another.

This is a typical and classic showing of overcomplicated failure of our city, county, state and federal governments to do anything sensible.
Jeezus.

Do I detect some lawyer speak with the OP? Looks like someone is trying to work out a ticket... Nice first post.
Double H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 07:22 PM   #7
peterman
cop magnet

Oddometer: 12,995
So,,,

If I wanna ride my bike across Warshington, maybe stay inna motel for a shower one night, then ride on to British Columbia to visit SweetSixty and her home made pies,,how many permits will I be required to show?
Guess!,,,
,,Stop!,,

OH!,,
peterman is online now   Reply With Quote