User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-10-2013, 11:14 AM   #256
Littlepeter
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 208
Pins

Hi Bruce, glad to see you are still progressing. Two lengths of the mall on my iWALK just about does me in. I was in for x-rays and to have my external pins removed. Things went as expected. The bones look fine, although i didn't get to see them. The holes for the pins should close up in about a week and I'll finally be allowed to wash my cadaver looking foot thoroughly. The nerve pain has not subsided and I was told it may last for several more months. I get to start gradually weighting my foot in about two weeks.

Here is a phone video of the day's procedure.

Littlepeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 12:21 PM   #257
blaster11 OP
Fidus et Audax

Oddometer: 6,206
Damn dude!!!! That is a pretty crazy video....just grab with some pliers and pull........., and you had quite a leaker going. Glad to hear the Iwalk is allowing you some semblance of normal back in your life.
Adventures of Blaster and Dorito
blaster11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 01:06 PM   #258
Littlepeter
Gnarly Adventurer

The leak started again briefly when I got home but a little direct pressure did the trick! The iWalk has given me some independance and some entertainment when I go for a walk at the mall.

Take care,

Peter
Old 12-10-2013, 01:30 PM   #259
blaster11 OP
Fidus et Audax

I bought my Iwalk a little late but it made me feel better that I could get out of the house kind of on my own with some independence. Hopefully we will have clearance to ride in the next couple of months, weather permitting of course.
Old 12-11-2013, 06:22 AM   #260
Littlepeter
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaster11 View Post
I bought my Iwalk a little late but it made me feel better that I could get out of the house kind of on my own with some independence. Hopefully we will have clearance to ride in the next couple of months, weather permitting of course.
The ground is snow covered and we have blowing snow here today. I have ridden every month of the year here, but realistically, it won't be "comfortable" until the end of March or early April. I hope to get clearance to drive the car sometime in February and will feel like I have been released from prison!
Old 12-11-2013, 07:55 AM   #261
Skidmarkart
Repeat Recidivist

Oddometer: 163
This thread bring back painful memories.

Crushed my ankle in 1999 in a BRI (beer related incident). I had an external fixator in for 10 months, and lots of screws and metal. I know it seems like it will take forever for life to get back to normal, but it will.

Will you ever be completely normal again? Probably not, but it will slowly become less and less of a nuisance, and you will get used to however it feels. 14 years on, I can do 15 mile hikes with a pack on in pretty intense conditions. I get swelling, but ibuprofen (this will become a good friend, like it or not) helps take it down and I am usually ready for action the next day.

My leg spit out bits of bones for about two years afterward. Take good care you do not get an infection in there. I got one in one of the screw holes for the fixator and it hurt nearly as bad as the break itself.
Skidmarkart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 12:01 PM   #262
ShopGuy
Gravity hates me

Oddometer: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by blaster11 View Post
Just a couple days shy of 9 weeks from surgery.

I haven't checked in for a while so I figured it was time. Still not quite up to full weight bearing officially but have been motoring around the house for the last couple of days unassisted and that seems to be going relatively well. Since I still have to wear the boot all the time I am unsure of how the ankle and ligament will be. When I do walk I have a bit of weirdness in the ankle from just loading it....not really pain but just different from the left one, hopefully that works itself out. Hopefully when I go back to see the Doc in a couple of weeks things are well enough that I can start wearing shoes again and leading a more normal life.
So as a way of getting things back up to speed after surgery I signed up for a Warrior Dash in May, should be fun but a lot of prep work. Well in preps I went to the gym last weekend for one of their hour group training sessions, I have been working out by myself recently and needed a change, let's just say holy crap my legs have gotten weak and they were sore, I mean really sore for two days. So this has given me something to work on and shoot for.

I hope the rest of you guys are doing well in your recovery and I don't wish this on the rest of you!
It's been 15 months now since my surgery and other than losing a bit of range in my foot (I cant fully extend to stand on my tip toes, but ballet was never my thing anyway ) I would say I am 98% back to "normal".

I started exercising as soon as I was able, concentrating on my legs and endurance type things for riding. I was able to ride without any pain or problems resulting from the injury, and I am positive it was the result of the workouts I had been doing.

Unfortunately I had to sell my bike in June, but I continued to work out and ride mountain bike to stay in shape. My foot aches after long runs but nothing I can't bear and it doesn't last long. I ran my first 5k mini marathon in October and plan on more endurance type competitions next year.

Here's to your speedy recovery and a long life of injury free riding! And Merry Christmas!
ShopGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 04:43 AM   #263
Littlepeter
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShopGuy View Post
It's been 15 months now since my surgery and other than losing a bit of range in my foot (I cant fully extend to stand on my tip toes, but ballet was never my thing anyway ) I would say I am 98% back to "normal".

I started exercising as soon as I was able, concentrating on my legs and endurance type things for riding. I was able to ride without any pain or problems resulting from the injury, and I am positive it was the result of the workouts I had been doing.

Unfortunately I had to sell my bike in June, but I continued to work out and ride mountain bike to stay in shape. My foot aches after long runs but nothing I can't bear and it doesn't last long. I ran my first 5k mini marathon in October and plan on more endurance type competitions next year.

Here's to your speedy recovery and a long life of injury free riding! And Merry Christmas!
Great to hear of positive results and some optimism. Progress seems so slow at times. I started some very slight weight bearing yesterday and it felt very strange. Numb but I could still feel everything? The boot feels like it weighs 20 pounds when I try to swing my "willowy" leg in a walking motion. The nerve pain has improved but is still there. Patience, patience.

Merry Christmas and a pain-free, walking on two feet, with two shoes on 2014 to all!
Old 12-25-2013, 02:21 PM   #264
blaster11 OP
Fidus et Audax

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShopGuy View Post

That's awesome news to hear your doing so well!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlepeter View Post
Great to hear of positive results and some optimism. Progress seems so slow at times. I started some very slight weight bearing yesterday and it felt very strange. Numb but I could still feel everything? The boot feels like it weighs 20 pounds when I try to swing my "willowy" leg in a walking motion. The nerve pain has improved but is still there. Patience, patience.

Merry Christmas and a pain-free, walking on two feet, with two shoes on 2014 to all!
I keep telling myself the same thing....patience.....patience, but I so want to get back to doing normal stuff. Less than two weeks before I go back to the Doc, hopefully he will let me out of the boot then. I test fitted my riding boot the other day or should I say attempted to fit my boot, not even close to going on my foot. Hopefully I can get it on by New Years day as I want to go for a ride!

Thanks for your updates guys, it's nice to hear how everyone is doing!
Old 01-29-2014, 07:21 PM   #265
Littlepeter
Gnarly Adventurer

Matching Feet!

I managed to get a sneaker on both feet today! First time my feet have matched since October. I have a limp, but not as bad as I expected. I am back to work on Monday. How are others getting along? Any updates?

Peter
Old 02-02-2014, 03:44 PM   #266
DavidQ
We Don't Rent Pigs

Oddometer: 1,959
Foot dislocation (Lisfranc Displacement)

Unfortunately, I feel right at home reading this thread. October 9, 2013 I was riding in Alabama and my KTM 990 got out from under me, going about 50 mph. I immediately knew my right foot was broken. I was about 20 - 30 miles from the closest small town so with the help of the two guys I was riding with, we picked the bike up and inspected the damage, and I rode to town in excruciating pain. When I made it to town I couldn't even stand up on my own. I called on a friend from home to drive the 3+ hours to pick me and the bike up and bring us home.

I arrived at the doctor the next morning and after some x-rays I was informed that I had crushed my foot, including the lisfranc joint. The foot was severely swollen so surgery would have to wait until the swelling went down.

October 22nd the surgery was performed. They vacuumed out all the bone dust, took a bone graft from below my knee and plated and screwed everything together.

We are hoping for a total fusion of the mid-joint area. I was in a cast for the first couple of weeks. At my first check up we became a little concerned about a sound on the top of the foot. I was put in an air cast so I could treat the wound daily.

Fast forward to the first of January: Everything is healing as good as can be expected and the bones are fusing as hoped. I am told to begin introducing weight to the foot. 25%, 50%, 75%, 100% over the next 4 weeks.

I am now walking without crutches but am having quite a bit of ankle and upper foot pain. I assume this is just from being sedentary for so long but I will be sure to ask the doctor at my appointment this week.

I still have a ways to go but I am fortunate that I have such an amazing wife. She bought me a side car rig for Christmas, so I have been able to ride since then. I just use a rope tied to the shift lever to upshift and I'm able to use the heal of my air cast to downshift.

Colorado / Utah 2011
NM, CO, UT, AZ 2012

DavidQ screwed with this post 02-02-2014 at 04:31 PM
DavidQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 02:16 PM   #267
jdbalt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 169
Ouch

Man, that looks like an x-ray of what I bought at Home Depot this weekend to fix a chair.
Old 02-03-2014, 03:49 PM   #268
blaster11 OP
Fidus et Audax

Hey guys....it's been a while since I posted....sorry! Well for me its still working through it. I was given the green light to start transitioning back into a shoe a few weeks ago. I am having mixed results at this point. So just as a recap of what we did on round two; five screws to fuze three metatarsals, reattached a ligament, and cleaned up an impingement in the ankle area. So it is still swelling up regularly as I use it, and the ligament is really tight, and I have regular pain in either the ankle or ligament area.....hard to say which it is. It doesn't seem to like impact much as that's when it causes me the most pain and swelling. Oh and it seems like I have some arthritis in my little toe metatarsal which has reared it's ugly head. Overall I think it is getting better but not by leaps and bounds. I am happy to be walking and doing many of the things I want to do but I do have concerns about my long term prognosis. I go back in to see the doc man in about a month, so hopefully it will be somewhat better by then.

David....sorry to see that you joined the club!!! Hopefully they found all the damage and things keep getting better for you! I like your sidecar and shifting style as well. Heal fast!
Old 02-03-2014, 05:40 PM   #269
psmcd
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 735
speed healing

I hope all you green lighted types are still stopping for elevation and ice. Seems as soon as walking and activity resumes we forget, then get stoic and finally stop when it's too late to reverse the swelling. It's great to get back on your feet but repeatedly lying down and elevating the foot, say for 5 minutes every 15 up, can really speed recovery in the early weight bearing stages. Being a bit obsessive about controlling swelling may seem weird and inconvenient but my experience is it pays off huge in the speed and quality of recovery. If you listen to what your body tells you, you heal faster. Over use of pain meds can mask the signals that tell you to lighten up. Less drugs and more recovery breaks will deliver superior results in both pain and healing. Keep doing stuff, but keep a book handy and get on your back with your foot up regular like. This really works for foot injuries but most people can't/won't do it.
psmcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 05:49 PM   #270
Littlepeter
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks for the update Bruce and welcome to the fat foot club David. I'm sitting here right now with my foot elevated with an ice pack after my first day back at work.

Peter