ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-10-2013, 05:44 AM   #16
Ladukebob
lost in hood river

Oddometer: 1,633
30" inseam here. My 990 was fine for most things in the stock form but where I struggled was exploring while fully loaded. Getting to a locked gate and trying to get the bike backed up to turn her around is tough when all you can get on the ground is your tippy toes So I was always having to jump off to back the bike up. I hated to do it but but I lowered mine 1" with custom 0.64 front springs and a custom rear spring which is softer than stock. There is actually a sag now when I sit on the bike. Bike rides much better, especially through washboards.

If you make it to Hood River there are a few of us 9xx guys here. You could sample a little of everything.
findLadukebob
Ladukebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 09:48 AM   #17
DRTII OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 75
Thanks for all of the support, definitely a good group of guys here.

4corners - I'm flattered hahaha. No, but I get it. I keep dreaming about that 34" inseam that magically appears. Hasn't happened so far. I guess 5'10" is where this train stopped for good.

So, correct me if I'm wrong. The sheepskin would add height, right? Also, isn't it kind of slippery, shifting around when you try to get off? Very smart about the rotor, I think I saw a video where someone used two sticks or something similar to that to prop it up. Have a feeling you only do that wrong once.

Did you do the fork work yourself? I've thought about Konflict because I'd heard so many great things just to get it dialed in, but I know there's a "free" option to shave an inch or so.

Applejam - Sweet. I don't get out to HR much (though I was golfing at Indian Creek a few times late this Summer) but I would love too. I know you arrange a bunch of cool rides (or at least it looked that way on one of the threads here) so I'll have to join one of those WHEN I get the KTM <- like that?

Laduke - Alright, this is 2/3 comments today mention "fully loaded" and . I've ridden A LOT of sport bikes long distance/XC (CBR600RR, VFR and MV Agusta F4) only the VFR was comfortable, but it was a pig in every sense of the word - especially at low speeds. I had GIVI 35L's on the side and a 47L top box, in addition to my Kriega backpack bungeed to the pillion and a tank bag! I know there's a ton of guys on here that would put that to shame with all the Wolfman/Rotopax/Sleeping bag combo's - but, my real point is at 481lbs wet, that was a pretty heavy bike without the gear. However, that was street, the seat height was around 31" and dirt is not the same. So, for a comparison, if I have to think about the 990 loaded like the VFR was, then yes, I can see how it would get incredibly tiresome picking up a loaded 990 on the trail and at the very minimum trying to turn that heffer around.

Any tips on this besides "avoid single track and parking lots!" HA

Oh, and thanks for the multiple offers on riding. You don't get that in the sportbike forums, I can tell you that.
Old 12-10-2013, 10:50 AM   #18
tblume
deus ex machina

Oddometer: 1,722
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple Jam View Post
Oh yeah, I'm South of Hood River a bit.
You are welcome to come crash mine anytime, full blown total is OK. You certainly couldn't abuse and mangle it up any worse than I have
I feex dis
Old 12-10-2013, 12:32 PM   #19
Apple Jam
Forest Flyer

Oddometer: 6,149
Dog, I love that bike.
It's really quite amazing that it still loves me
...then that land should be open for public use" (peterman)
Apple Jam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 07:57 PM   #20
tacosupreme
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 246
I take my bike fairly heavily loaded pretty much everywhere. As you noted, the OBDR runs through my backyard and it's easy to have an unintentional overnight (went for a "quick" ride last summer and ended up 450 miles from home, no pavement. Whoops.) I keep gear with me everywhere, as well as spare fuel (damn that Seneca gas station and their random hours!). I even bow hunt off of it! Yeah, it's not a 450 but it goes anywhere I want to go. Turning around is easy, post a leg and dump the clutch, it will turn around in it's own length.

Old 12-10-2013, 10:43 PM   #21
DRTII OP
Adventurer

I really like that setup Taco, it's exactly how I envision setting one up, Wolfman/Rotopax, though I think I'd stop short of that huge yellow drysack on the top. It would just be an excuse for me to store all the shit up there and wonder why I'm 100lbs more top heavy! That being said, you have to put the tent somewhere. Oh well, good to know you don't have an issue hauling all of that gear and still have the ability to whip it around with the throttle.

What tires are you running? I haven't memorized tread patterns at this point (except I know the 908's have a chevy bowtie)
Old 12-11-2013, 09:08 AM   #22
tacosupreme
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTII View Post
I really like that setup Taco, it's exactly how I envision setting one up, Wolfman/Rotopax, though I think I'd stop short of that huge yellow drysack on the top. It would just be an excuse for me to store all the shit up there and wonder why I'm 100lbs more top heavy! That being said, you have to put the tent somewhere. Oh well, good to know you don't have an issue hauling all of that gear and still have the ability to whip it around with the throttle.

What tires are you running? I haven't memorized tread patterns at this point (except I know the 908's have a chevy bowtie)
The tires are pirelli scorpions. They are supposed to last a long time, and they probably would if you only used them on the street, but roosting around on gravel roads I get about 3000 miles out of them. I think I'll go with Mefo SE for the rear this spring, still undecided for the front. Yeah the banana bag is just for light stuff...spare jacket, sleeping bag, small tent, food, etc. The black ones get very hot in the sun. Nothing worse than a hot sammich on the trail.
Old 12-11-2013, 01:50 PM   #23
DRTII OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacosupreme View Post
The tires are pirelli scorpions. They are supposed to last a long time, and they probably would if you only used them on the street, but roosting around on gravel roads I get about 3000 miles out of them. I think I'll go with Mefo SE for the rear this spring, still undecided for the front. Yeah the banana bag is just for light stuff...spare jacket, sleeping bag, small tent, food, etc. The black ones get very hot in the sun. Nothing worse than a hot sammich on the trail.

Interesting, I wouldn't have thought about the black bags getting hot. Not really a welcome surprise either. I like those crash bar bags, I'm assuming you keep tubes in there?

I've heard a lot of good things about the Mefo, but almost always in relation to a different front. Everyone seems to like something different. The Scorpions look like they'd be a good all around tire (stock aren't they?) - prob handle like shit in the mud, though.
Old 12-12-2013, 05:42 PM   #24
Zuber
Zoob

Oddometer: 1,722
I know of a lowered 07/08 990 in Eugene that will be for sale. Early model, but it has always run like one of the best ones. PM me if interested.

Hell's Al is right, some times. But, these bikes will get up and float on sand. If you give it enough throttle.
Old 12-12-2013, 06:51 PM   #25
Apple Jam
Forest Flyer

Oddometer: 6,149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuber View Post
......these bikes will get up and float on sand. If you give it enough throttle.
It just takes a while to trust it.

Just like a boat on plane
.....it is more efficient and easier to control on TOP of the sand.

Just like a boat on plane
....except for the tumble into the sagebrush if you get it wrong
...then that land should be open for public use" (peterman)
Apple Jam is offline   Reply With Quote