ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-13-2013, 09:30 AM   #16
Romanousky
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 541
I completely understand what the OP is stating but I would like to chime in and say that riding in a foreign country is completely different no matter how similar the terrain. Yeah, PNW has just about everything but when you are travelling you are typically hundreds of miles from parts, thousands of miles from anyone that speaks your language, etc….which adds this Holy Sh*t kind of wanderlust feeling and epic sense of freedom that you don’t get in the states (or home country). If you strictly have an interest for riding differing terrains then long distance travel might not be for you.

When I started my ride south I was more interested in riding and camping and eating Mexican food than anything else but it is so much more than that once you start meeting the locals and absorbing some culture. One of the greatest things that I think all of you can appreciate is the lack of rules and regulations in other countries as far as riding is concerned. You can pull off the road/trail wherever you want onto a pristine secluded beach with no concerns whatsoever. Not to tear up the beach but just to hang out up close to the lapping blue waters with a cerveza in your hand and your stead by your side is awesome. Riding on the sidewalk in some parts to get around traffic is totally legit. I got a high-five from a cop in Nicaragua for doing a wheelie. Hell, I bought dynamite in Bolivia. I guess Darwinism still exists in some areas.

At the end of my trip I was actually quite excited to come back to the states and just ride around for a couple months. When I got here everything seemed so orderly and regulated and efficient that it was rather mundane. I got a ticket within the first week for passing over a double yellow (not a risky pass by any means). So many fences and “Keep Out” “No Parking” “Bicylces Only” etc… don’t get me wrong, I love riding here, and we live in a beautiful area but it really is not the same.

It is an experience that you will never forget. It was the greatest thing I have ever done and am now planning on another extended trip when I can afford it. I don’t have much money and leaving a good job to travel is a tough decision (and “irresponsible” by our societal standards) but now that I have done it I wouldn’t have it any other way.

I will now wait for the guy who has travelled the world via bike, and thought it was a waste of money, to tell me to F off.

And anyone that touts there travels and makes themselves out to be better than someone who hasn’t is a F* Head. Okay, carry on now….
Romanousky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 09:46 AM   #17
Rambo1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladukebob View Post
Sorry about that

try to keep it down at the restaurant!!!!
Rambo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 03:25 PM   #18
Idahosam OP
Set Adrift

Oddometer: 4,101
WOW I can see many of my PNwet family have have similar epiphany's. Seems there is a chord struck here. It was just as I was mulling through videos and reading RR's (winter past time) did it strike me. I must agree that we are truly blessed with some of the best riding anywhere, be it single track, jeep trails paved twisty back roads, etc. As a whole we can camp anywhere we like under the stars. Our Topography is diverse indeed.

True we may not have tropical climates, with warm ocean waters lapping upon shore, but we have beautiful beaches none the less. We have the lost coast, Death Valley, Steens, The wonderful OUTBACK of south East Oregon and Nevada. Another great place to discover is Wyoming.. I could just keep going on, but I believe we are all in sync here and I've not lost it.

Now I must admit that one of the draws to travel is culturally, While we share a common earth we have some distinct differences, that too can be an adventure. These differences are not relegated to just out laying countries as we have plenty right here in the good ole US of A.

I followed Radioman on his around the world travel and of all the places I was really intrigued with was his last stop....... Africa, now that place may have had topography similar at times to home the fauna and flora are truly unique to that place!

To travel is to discover that everyone is wrong about other countries.
Aldous Huxley
Idahosam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 03:41 PM   #19
Idahosam OP
Set Adrift

Romanousky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romanousky View Post
I completely understand what the OP is stating but I would like to chime in and say that riding in a foreign country is completely different no matter how similar the terrain. Yeah, PNW has just about everything but when you are travelling you are typically hundreds of miles from parts, thousands of miles from anyone that speaks your language, etc….which adds this Holy Sh*t kind of wanderlust feeling and epic sense of freedom that you don’t get in the states (or home country). If you strictly have an interest for riding differing terrains then long distance travel might not be for you.

When I started my ride south I was more interested in riding and camping and eating Mexican food than anything else but it is so much more than that once you start meeting the locals and absorbing some culture. One of the greatest things that I think all of you can appreciate is the lack of rules and regulations in other countries as far as riding is concerned. You can pull off the road/trail wherever you want onto a pristine secluded beach with no concerns whatsoever. Not to tear up the beach but just to hang out up close to the lapping blue waters with a cerveza in your hand and your stead by your side is awesome. Riding on the sidewalk in some parts to get around traffic is totally legit. I got a high-five from a cop in Nicaragua for doing a wheelie. Hell, I bought dynamite in Bolivia. I guess Darwinism still exists in some areas.

At the end of my trip I was actually quite excited to come back to the states and just ride around for a couple months. When I got here everything seemed so orderly and regulated and efficient that it was rather mundane. I got a ticket within the first week for passing over a double yellow (not a risky pass by any means). So many fences and “Keep Out” “No Parking” “Bicylces Only” etc… don’t get me wrong, I love riding here, and we live in a beautiful area but it really is not the same.

It is an experience that you will never forget. It was the greatest thing I have ever done and am now planning on another extended trip when I can afford it. I don’t have much money and leaving a good job to travel is a tough decision (and “irresponsible” by our societal standards) but now that I have done it I wouldn’t have it any other way.

I will now wait for the guy who has travelled the world via bike, and thought it was a waste of money, to tell me to F off.

And anyone that touts there travels and makes themselves out to be better than someone who hasn’t is a F* Head. Okay, carry on now….
I do believe I was mentioning topography similarities. My military career has taken me around the world several times exposing me to a plenitude of culture....... wouldn't change it for the world.

Very Well stated... I so miss south of the border. Did anyone every see my video of lane splitting up the middle of tractor-trailers in Mexico? OH the Joy!

I do enjoy traveling mainly to be immersed in the aforementioned statement.

Although, World travel isn't for everyone.

Aldous Huxley
Old 12-13-2013, 03:42 PM   #20
Idahosam OP
Set Adrift

Quote:
Originally Posted by MortimerSickle View Post
You are not losing it, (at least not because of your take on this subject).

I have noticed the same thing. No matter where in the world a picture is taken, more often than not I can think of someplace in the PNWet that looks at least similar.

I have teased Radioman with this a few times, posting a local pic that looked much like a pic he had taken in some far-off land.

The more I see of the rest of the world, the more satisfied I am with home.
Well you can tease him some more pretty soon. I'll be in Portland hope to see you.

Aldous Huxley
Old 12-13-2013, 03:50 PM   #21
MortimerSickle
Semi-Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,591
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idahosam View Post
Well you can tease him some more pretty soon. I'll be in Portland hope to see you.

I miss round headlights.

"When I was a young man, I liked to race my horse...." -
G.H.W.S. 1878-1962
MortimerSickle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 03:52 PM   #22
Idahosam OP
Set Adrift

I love this video makes me giggle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by clapped_r6 View Post
reminds me of the "portland to dakar" icon video that was supposed to be traveling all over the world.

but they didn't!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live2Ride View Post
You're losing it Sam. But so am I, so its good. Go south young man.
I would love to come down but got save my dinero up for my Bayou run.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Rash View Post
I haven't been everywhere, but have been to some pretty cool places outside of our fine state, but it wasn't until about 15 years ago that a co-worker (from California) started giving me shit for not seeing all of the cool stuff that we have right here in our backyard.........................."your a native Oregonian and you've never seen (all the places that I hadn't seen at the time)???"
That's when I started traveling the state to see what all I had been missing, and I had been missing a lot
Hey Rash, I lived and traveled all over Europe while stationed there for many years, lived in Asia and even paradise where we met. Seen some great sights ate some fantastic foods.. All great memories but now I am attempting to discover my own backyard, as in Glacier Park, Mount Rushmore etc. What I don't like compared to some of the other places I've been (south of the border) is we are so regulated. But still some mighty fine sights; be it off road or paved.

Aldous Huxley