Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Shiny things
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-14-2013, 01:19 AM   #31
Me and my monkee
Out makin' Monkee Maps

Oddometer: 980
I cut the cable about 9 months ago, and have a Roku, and Amazon Prime.
Been watching full runs of various TV shows, to date...
Battlestar Galactica
Red Dwarf
Torchwood (Season 4 not on prime)
My name is Earl (Taken off prime halfway through watching )
X Files (On season 7 now)

About time to start planning the next show
Me and my monkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 04:46 PM   #32
biggziff
Funk Soul Bruvah

Oddometer: 8,064
We had Netflix for many years and the content just got worse and worse. Initially, they gave you the DVD ship and online streaming for the same, low price. Then they split them and the DVD content just got worse and worse so we shut off the DVD and used streaming only. Then that got pretty bad so we switched to Amazon. The education price is $39 a year and I've easily saved more than that on shipping this month alone. The content is pretty good, but they are constantly changing what's free and what isn't. They'll give you all the seasons of a show like Justified for free...then the last season is $2 an episode. If you wait long enough it eventually comes up for free. I watched Dr. Who for the first time on Amazon, Justified, Heros and am currently watching Vikings. I can't find any way to see all the content you've watched (Netflix makes this easy) so I can't recommend anything else to you.

I won't go back to Netflix after they pulled the price hike BS. I bought a Roku, put Plex on my Freenas box and download open content when I can find it.

- Otto von Bismarck

<><
biggziff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 04:50 PM   #33
biggziff
Funk Soul Bruvah

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikonsAndVStroms View Post
XBox 360.
Another bitch....I hate that M$ requires you to purchase a Live Gold subscription to watch content that you've already paid a subscription for. Stopped using the Xbox as a TV device for that reason about 2 years ago.

Roku or similar or an App if you have a smart TV.

Chromecast will cast audio with Prime. You just have to set up the plugin correctly

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!to...al/rtH0i3AMSZo

- Otto von Bismarck

<><
Old 12-14-2013, 04:51 PM   #34
biggziff
Funk Soul Bruvah

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodeMonkee View Post
I don't.

I have Chromecast and it doesn't work with Amazon vids at all - when I do get it to cast the tab and I actually have vid (rarely do), I don't get audio.

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!to...al/rtH0i3AMSZo

- Otto von Bismarck

<><
Old 12-22-2013, 06:48 PM   #35
NikonsAndVStroms OP
Beastly Photographer

Oddometer: 38,575
New Jack City is on here for free

"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."
NikonsAndVStroms is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 09:28 AM   #36
Superhawk
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 673
"So how is everybody getting on to their tv? "

smart dvd player - thinkI payed around $100 for it
Superhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 11:57 AM   #37
mdouglas71
Adventurer

Oddometer: 55
I really don't feel that Amazon prime is that worth it. However, the 2 day shipping upgrade is actually worth it a lot more than anything else. Netflix has a much bigger and better selection. However, we need to seriously get both of these companies to make a nice big push for us. We want more content! We want more content!
mdouglas71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 01:27 PM   #38
~DC~
An Internet Legend

Oddometer: 492
I just recently bought a new Panasonic HDTV. Being the first television I've owned in 10 years, I'm really out of the loop on the best approach for streaming video. This is a low end TV (Not a SmartTV). I've been using a laptop with a Display Port to HDMI cable, but would prefer to have something that can be controlled from the couch with a remote.

What are the worthwhile options. Roku seems popular, but would a DVD player with Netflix, Hulu, and etc, be a better choice?
~DC~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 04:43 PM   #39
Jonnylotto
All out of care

Oddometer: 15,475
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~DC~ View Post
I just recently bought a new Panasonic HDTV. Being the first television I've owned in 10 years, I'm really out of the loop on the best approach for streaming video. This is a low end TV (Not a SmartTV). I've been using a laptop with a Display Port to HDMI cable, but would prefer to have something that can be controlled from the couch with a remote.

What are the worthwhile options. Roku seems popular, but would a DVD player with Netflix, Hulu, and etc, be a better choice?
No.

Roku for the Win. Roku 3 for the championship.

Skip the DVD player and go to Blu Ray.
Old 02-16-2014, 08:30 AM   #40
rob feature
Domain Ranger

Oddometer: 4,414
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggziff View Post
We had Netflix for many years and the content just got worse and worse.

I just had my last day with Netflix, but not because of the content. It's because of the new streaming interface. Across both my Roku and Playstation, browsing genres is no longer possible. They've gone over to a 'new & improved' interface which is a predictive thing - shitty one I might add. Now all I can browse is suggestions. Instead of browsing the 'comedy' category, I now get categories like "because you watched breaking bad". They took away the ability to watch what you wanna watch and only steer you to what the computer thinks you wanna watch. Good luck with that Netflix. And sayonara motherfuckers.

Still loves me some Prime though

rob feature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 04:59 PM   #41
Jonnylotto
All out of care

Oddometer: 15,475
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob feature View Post
I just had my last day with Netflix, but not because of the content. It's because of the new streaming interface. Across both my Roku and Playstation, browsing genres is no longer possible. They've gone over to a 'new & improved' interface which is a predictive thing - shitty one I might add. Now all I can browse is suggestions. Instead of browsing the 'comedy' category, I now get categories like "because you watched breaking bad". They took away the ability to watch what you wanna watch and only steer you to what the computer thinks you wanna watch. Good luck with that Netflix. And sayonara motherfuckers.

I've always used my computer to load my watch list.
Old 02-16-2014, 04:59 PM   #42
NikonsAndVStroms OP
Beastly Photographer

Oddometer: 38,575
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob feature View Post

Prime's interface isn't that good but Netflix has been making it harder and harder to find new movies. The main thing I love about Netflix are those weird movies like one about Kazakhstan I saw:

(It's not free on Prime)

It wasn't an amazing movie but it was pretty good and the landscapes alone made it worth it. Amazon has a lot of those movies but so far I haven't found an easy way to get to them. Mostly I've known the films in advance or I did a search for an Israeli director I like and a new one of his films popped up.

Also one thing I really hate about Netflix is they got rid of 1 of the 2 new release categories. That alone was a bit confusing, they had 1 where it was all the big name things that have been added going back a bit and that one is still there but the section which listed what actually had been added this week is gone.

My way of dealing with Netflix is to use my computer once every week or 2 and add stuff to my queue.

"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."
NikonsAndVStroms is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 06:08 PM   #43
WVhillbilly
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,796
Amazon's movie interface works great on my Kindle, pretty good on the PS3 and the browsing sucks on the laptop.

Better for series than movies, still using Netflix also.

Prime is worth the price for me on book discounts and "borrowing" alone.
WVhillbilly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 06:48 PM   #44
wxwax
Excited Member

Oddometer: 76,730
I watched Conan O'Brien Can't Stop on Amazon the other night. Pretty good. But even though I pay Comcast a little extra for streaming, it still buffered twice at the end.

Since I'm a Prime member and my TV is smart, I've used Amazon for viewing free movies. I like it but I find that I need to know the title I'm looking for. Generic searching isn't easy.

Without knowing what their deal is, my guess is that Netflix is trying to disguise how thin their online selection is.

It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this.
-- Bertrand Russell

To make an apple pie from scratch,
you must first invent the universe.
-- Carl Sagan
wxwax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 09:29 PM   #45
Jurgen
Trolljegeren

Oddometer: 40,749
Good Brit TV series-- my review--> The Fades

Quote:
Originally Posted by nskitts View Post
I'm sorry your dog died before you got to beat it with a dead chicken.

Moderator:CSM/JoMomma/ShinyThings/Sports
Jurgen is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: