off the ground.

Oddometer: 239
Sieg beat me to it. Mid jan indeed.
tyrsmkkyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 06:33 PM   #12692
mezcal
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 397
Well the bike ran perfectly, aside from one thing.
The odometer reset itself. I unplugged a few things around the battery so I guess that is the reason. Is this something only a dealer can fix, and will the computer know how many km I do after the reset and from before hand?

Sent from my GT-N8010 using Tapatalk
Old 12-14-2013, 06:46 PM   #12693
Hoots
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by mezcal View Post
The odometer reset itself. I unplugged a few things around the battery so I guess that is the reason. Is this something only a dealer can fix, and will the computer know how many km I do after the reset and from before hand?

It's funny you say that Mezcal, as mine did the same during its trip to Terry ...

Be interested to know if there is a way to reset it ...
Hoots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 06:51 PM   #12694
Just_P_Dirty
Its more fun when Dirty!

Oddometer: 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirty_sanchez View Post
Team- I finally had a spare day to put her through the paces after flipping the fork tube 180 degrees so that the dot is on the opposite side from stock (changed to the 12 o'clock position) to decrease the trail.

As I mentioned earlier, the bike would get headshake from hell at higher speeds at the fork tube position as delivered from the factory.

Start to finish, it took about 2 hours to get the front wheel, fork legs, headlight, top triple off of the bike.

Once you loosen large aluminum nut found under the front fender of the bottom triple it allows access to the fork tube. Gently tap it out, freeze it, and insert it 180 degrees from the stock position. That's it.

Now would be the time to properly grease the headset bearings if you haven't already done so.

Everything was reassembled and torqued to
I am planing to do this soon and i dont have the service man- what torq specs did u use? what did you mean about freeze it and put back in?

thanks
Old 12-14-2013, 06:58 PM   #12695
mezcal
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoots View Post
It's funny you say that Mezcal, as mine did the same during its trip to Terry ...

Be interested to know if there is a way to reset it ...
Mine only went back to 000000 km after I unplugged some cables last night. Yesterday it must have been fine as I went out for a 60km loop, this morning when I started it I noticed it was at zero km...
Must have been a coincidence, or did you drive through heavy rain then unplug all the wiring because your bike was coughing and spluttering too :)

Im sure I read somewhere that it can be fixed and the original distance on the odo isn't lost.

Old 12-14-2013, 08:25 PM   #12696
mezcal
Gnarly Adventurer

Pirelli MT21 rear isnt handling the rocks as well as the 606 did...
3 other Centre knobs like it too :)
Probably about 500km old

Old 12-14-2013, 08:30 PM   #12697
travelingaustralian
Globe Trotting

Oddometer: 90
Goes like stink but Stalling off idle. Other wise Love this bike!!

After buying my new ktm 690R almost 6 months ago while still living and working down in Antarctica, I had a chance to ride it for the first time. Can anyone suggest a good tuner in the Melbourne area? Bike is running like crap! On the Advanced setting it stalls runs rough and dangerous off idle with the bike stalling and locking up the rear wheel. It has had mapping installed to suit the changed exhaust and air intake. When I changed the setting to 0 and did the 15 minute idle from cold reset bike run great? I did this because I read others that had done this and there bike ran ok. 0 is for bad fuel? Why does it run so well on this setting? What is it going to do to the bike long term as they say only to run it on one tank?? The bike has had filters cleaned and the tank was drained and new fuel as it has sat for a little while. I have just finish fitting the Rally Raid Tanks turning it from standard to an Adventure bike.
Here are a couple pictures.

"Quad Biking in Antarctica"----->http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...886240&page=10
travelingaustralian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 08:36 PM   #12698
Hoots
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Mine only went back to 000000 km after I unplugged some cables last night. Yesterday it must have been fine as I went out for a 60km loop, this morning when I started it I noticed it was at zero km...
Must have been a coincidence, or did you drive through heavy rain then unplug all the wiring because your bike was coughing and spluttering too :)

Im sure I read somewhere that it can be fixed and the original distance on the odo isn't lost.

No, nothing unusual in the riding post surgery ...

I asked the question here at the time, and someone said that this can happen after the battery is disconnected for a long period ...

To be honest, I don't think they went about removing the shock the easy way - i.e. by lifting up the sub-frame - they took it out from above, having removed the airbox and disconnected the battery - I was a bit surprised when I got back and saw all this stuff on the floor ...

After that, the odometer had reset itself ...
Old 12-14-2013, 08:44 PM   #12699
ktmmitch
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 490
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelingaustralian View Post
After buying my new ktm 690R almost 6 months ago while still living and working down in Antarctica, I had a chance to ride it for the first time. Can anyone suggest a good tuner in the Melbourne area? Bike is running like crap! On the Advanced setting it stalls runs rough and dangerous off idle with the bike stalling and locking up the rear wheel. It has had mapping installed to suit the changed exhaust and air intake. When I changed the setting to 0 and did the 15 minute idle from cold reset bike run great? I did this because I read others that had done this and there bike ran ok. 0 is for bad fuel? Why does it run so well on this setting? What is it going to do to the bike long term as they say only to run it on one tank?? The bike has had filters cleaned and the tank was drained and new fuel as it has sat for a little while. I have just finish fitting the Rally Raid Tanks turning it from standard to an Adventure bike.
Here are a couple pictures.

What silencer is that fitted?
ktmmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 08:55 PM   #12700
travelingaustralian
Globe Trotting

Oddometer: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmmitch View Post
What silencer is that fitted?

Hi John, Its a Vance and Hines slip on.

"Quad Biking in Antarctica"----->http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...886240&page=10
travelingaustralian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 09:12 PM   #12701
mezcal
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoots View Post
No, nothing unusual in the riding post surgery ...

I asked the question here at the time, and someone said that this can happen after the battery is disconnected for a long period ...

To be honest, I don't think they went about removing the shock the easy way - i.e. by lifting up the sub-frame - they took it out from above, having removed the airbox and disconnected the battery - I was a bit surprised when I got back and saw all this stuff on the floor ...

After that, the odometer had reset itself ...
Mine was all back together when I got there. Today while washing it I noticed the silencer clamp had moved slightly making me think the wings pipe was removed, other than that I see no evidence of anything being removed.

I also rode mine twice after Terry did the work on Friday, its only today when I started the bike I noticed the odo on zero. Yesterday it was fine.
I keep blowing bloody headlight globes though.. 5 in 2 years!

Old 12-14-2013, 09:24 PM   #12702
Hoots
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Mine was all back together when I got there. Today while washing it I noticed the silencer clamp had moved slightly making me think the wings pipe was removed, other than that I see no evidence of anything being removed.

I also rode mine twice after Terry did the work on Friday, its only today when I started the bike I noticed the odo on zero. Yesterday it was fine.
I keep blowing bloody headlight globes though.. 5 in 2 years!

Strange coincidence ...

I did tell them quietly that that was not the easy way to take the shock out of a 690 - told them about a few web demos ...

I don't know whether any of this is relevant, or just pure chance ...

Two bikes / identical procedure / two reset odometers ...

Although the lag of a day or so in your case is a bit hard to understand ...

Anyway, be good to know if you discover a way to put the kms back on it - unrealistically low kms are always a disincentive for secondhand bike buyers ...
Old 12-14-2013, 10:06 PM   #12703
DanTheMan07
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_P_Dirty View Post
I am planing to do this soon and i dont have the service man- what torq specs did u use? what did you mean about freeze it and put back in?

thanks
To remove the steering stem from the lower triple you have to pound it out, if you dont have a press. Its a tight fit putting it back in. So i think he put the stem in the freezer to get it to shrink slightly to make it easier to press, or pound back in the lower triple. Mine took significant persuading to remove and put back in place. Didn't try the freezer thing, it might have helped.
DanTheMan07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 10:25 PM   #12704
Monterey_BS
On or Off - not sure

Oddometer: 197
Quote:

Happened to me at 878mi. Bad battery in my case. Battery replaced under warranty. Dealer offered to send the unit to KTM to be reset to correct values, but it could take several weeks to get it back. They said they were not authorized to make any changes. My solution was to add 878 to the mileage formula in my cost spreadsheet for the bike.
Old 12-14-2013, 10:30 PM   #12705
AccelRus MaxiMus
Adventurer

Oddometer: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelingaustralian View Post
Hi John, Its a Vance and Hines slip on.
Ummm... Me thinks you mean Leo Vince ?

The logo on the pipe looks a lot like this one:

http://www.riderforums.com/zr-7-perf...tml#post535732

BTW - like your work area - looks warm and relaxed !!

AccelRus MaxiMus is offline   Reply With Quote