Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Face plant
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-07-2013, 07:54 AM   #16
red bud
alky w/motorcycle problem

Oddometer: 5,009
glad you came tru, like others said looking at bike you were lucky.

going back to work as soon as your ready (or alittle sooner) is good. I did a yr in theropy one time & really didn't start getting total movement till I got back to normal activies. the longer ya put it off the harder it is to get back.

ps. good score on the ninja

"red bud has anyone ever told u you're bit of an ass" bmwblake

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=706516
red bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 02:51 PM   #17
jimhaleyscomet
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragtoplvr View Post
Isn't lying on the police report a crime? Why not start prosecuting a few of these folks

Rod
People seem to lie AFTER the police report all the time. A lady swerved into my daughter and was all apologetic at the accident. I can only figure she was illegally texting as it was the middle of a sunny day. Then after the lady got home (and every time she talked to the insurance company according to them) she changed her story. Luckily the officer at the scene wrote down what she said.

THANK YOU Rochester police officer!!!!!!!!
jimhaleyscomet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 03:28 PM   #18
Gerd
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
Thumb

I'm glad that you came out more or less ok!
You 'mericans please elighten me on this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by aTuWitty View Post
I already have another motorcycle lined up (a friend of mine laid his Ninja 650R down at 10 mph and the insurance company is calling it a total loss...
My insurance covers only damage to third party vehicles in case of accident. That's the most basic type of insurance around here, and is mandatory for everyone.

Now, how can an insurance company decide that a bike with only a few scratches is a 'total loss'??? is that good for you? you get a new bike? Thats completely unheard of around this parts... how does it work?
Old 12-07-2013, 09:22 PM   #19
aTuWitty OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerd View Post
I'm glad that you came out more or less ok!
You 'mericans please elighten me on this:

My insurance covers only damage to third party vehicles in case of accident. That's the most basic type of insurance around here, and is mandatory for everyone.

Now, how can an insurance company decide that a bike with only a few scratches is a 'total loss'??? is that good for you? you get a new bike? Thats completely unheard of around this parts... how does it work?
That was an oversimplification of what actually happened, but I don't type well with just one hand so I shortened it. Now that I can type with both, I'll try to explain. My friend has collision insurance on his bike, which goes along with his liability insurance. Liability will pay for damages to OTHERS, collision will pay for damages that YOU cause to your own property. My friend let HIS friend ride the bike, told him NOT to actually get it into gear but just to play with the clutch activation point. Friend of my buddy didn't listen, and laid it down. The insurance company deemed my friend not at fault and valued the bike at $4500, with a salvage value of $1400. The max they would pay out for a repair would be $4500 less the salvage value=$3100. Friend just wants it gone, so he'll throw it to me for the salvage value and then purchase a new bike. Sweet deal :)

Helmet update (haven't posted pics, thought y'all might like a look). I got a concussion, but never got much information on it. They said I had one, but they weren't worried about it. The helmet was a G-Max 78s 2XL that I purchased in April. It is a bit looser fitting, as in April I weighed 285 and today I'm 225, so I've lost a good bit of fat in my face. It was still semi-snug, but not ideal. I was planning on asking for a Shoei Qwest for Christmas, as the Gmax started falling apart after a month (vents breaking off, the sun shade button broke, pads got squished). It did about as well as I'd expect a $125 helmet to do.

I'm ordering a Shoei GT-Air AS SOON AS THIS IS SETTLED! Cannot wait.

Pics: (keep in mind there was NO damage to this helmet, so every scratch is due to this accident)

I had a girlfriend in college... good to look at, exotic and foreign, sometimes fun, and a lot of fun to ride when she was up for it, but generally, she was a bit of a bitch, with a few fatal flaws that I tried to fix for years until I finally got fed up and called it quits. She was apparently reincarnated into my '99 Triumph Tiger.
aTuWitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 06:31 PM   #20
r60man
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 360
Bummer to hear about your faceplant. I know what you are talking about with the memories. I was in a car accident in '88. I had no memories of it, and neither did the other two drivers that hit me. But there were a lot of witnesses that came through and did me right when the time came.

Speed doesn't kill anyone, suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you - Jeremy Clarkson
r60man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 01:52 AM   #21
chairhead
HAIRY

Oddometer: 403
Good luck with your recovery, i hope you nail the twat that killed Harvey!

"THERE IS ONLY ONE THING THAT IS BETTER THAN RIDING AN OUTFIT...
AND THAT IS RIDING AN OUTFIT IN THE
WINTER....THIS IS THE GREATEST...."Andreas a.d.k.G

chairhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 09:26 AM   #22
Josh69
Uhhh

Oddometer: 587
Dude.... how did you get along with your wife?

Hope thinks work out with you, bike, wife or wife2 if necessary.

Best wishes.
Josh69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 06:13 PM   #23
aTuWitty OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh69 View Post
Dude.... how did you get along with your wife?

Hope thinks work out with you, bike, wife or wife2 if necessary.

Best wishes.
As it turns out, I DIDN'T get along with her!! Apparently, her yelling at me, drudging up ancient faults over and over again, and telling me that I'm not a good person, all while I'm smiling and nodding and contemplating how to make her happy, ISN'T a healthy relationship. Who knew???

Purchasing a gorgeous 1999 XR650L with plenty of go-fast goodies TOMORROW! And I'll be finalizing the transaction on the Ninja 650 later this week. Sure, it's not as convenient as having a full on do-it-all bike, but I'm looking forward to better offroading!
I had a girlfriend in college... good to look at, exotic and foreign, sometimes fun, and a lot of fun to ride when she was up for it, but generally, she was a bit of a bitch, with a few fatal flaws that I tried to fix for years until I finally got fed up and called it quits. She was apparently reincarnated into my '99 Triumph Tiger.
Old 12-19-2013, 06:28 AM   #24
b1pig
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 632
sounds like a good combo to me. riding is therapy in its own way, so healing up enough to ride is a great landmark to shoot for.
b1pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 12:36 PM   #25
DougFromKentucky
Old Fart

Oddometer: 395
The bike can be replaced (actually it looks like you are well on your way to replacing it). You need to concentrate on healing. It will take longer than you want but is worth it. Follow your doctor's advice (and your P.T.s as well) as it pays off in the long run.

Get a lawyer. It is hard (almost impossible) to come out whole financially without one in this type of accident (no, I am not a lawyer).

As to the (ex)wife, been there done that. My first wife and I just didn't work out. She is on her fourth husband now, I am on my second wife (33 years and counting). Just these numbers say volumes. What I am saying is if you decide that you like being married, pick a better spouse for your next marriage. It pays off. You will still have fights from time to time but all in all it is worth the hassles. The joys outweigh the bad times.

Namaste'
Doug in Kentucky
Old 01-14-2014, 07:10 AM   #26
theneverman
yablewit

Oddometer: 57
Heal up strong and get healthy before you get to riding again. I commend you on your spirit of getting back on your 'horse'. Some say the knee was God's little joke and I hope yours heal up well but consider that Ninja won't be too kind to your knees for a sustained rides. But do what you gotta do. :)

And as an aside, it really bugs me the way insurance companies destroy the title of a vehicle based upon cost of repair. I'm referring to that Ninja tip-over-turned-salvage-title, the Strom looks done for. Oh I understand the all mighty dollar aspect to it, but I would like to see some middle ground where if a frame is left intact you don't destroy the future title of said vehicle. Once a title is stamped with 'SALVAGE' it cannot be changed and that affects getting it insured properly if at all. Not long ago I made a nostalgic purchase of a 1984 Honda Interceptor 500, reminded me of high school..etc. Had I knocked it over in the driveway and somehow cracked the fairing and claimed it, the insurance company most definitely would have found it cheaper to junk/salvage than pay to repair it as it was in pristine condition. Ok done belly-aching about that part.

Again, glad to see you're healing up aTuWitty and keep your riding spirit alive. Take your time and do it right. Good luck.
theneverman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 07:29 AM   #27
RZRob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,236
Quote:
Originally Posted by aTuWitty View Post
As it turns out, I DIDN'T get along with her!!

Purchasing a gorgeous 1999 XR650L with plenty of go-fast goodies TOMORROW! ... I'm looking forward to better offroading!
Just went through a similar divorce. Still hurts, but needed to be done. I too have an XR650L ('06). Just sold my '99. Come on over to the XRL thread.

RZ Rob
RZRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 10:00 PM   #28
Solarbronco
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 305
If I ever get divorced i will never get married again. They blame us for everything and often teach our kids to do the same. Watch tv, and on every show the husband/father is depicted as the dumbest man in the world.

In the movie "As good as it gets, a woman asks Jack Nicholson's character how he writes about women so well. He said, "I think of a man, and take away reasoning and accountability". Lol

My father is a 30 year veteran divorce attorney, believes that marriage to an American woman in this day and age is the dumbest thing that a guy can do.

Happy that you are healing up and that you are still riding. At least she talked you into the bike.
Solarbronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 09:33 AM   #29
mjt1577
MinisterOfSillyWalks

Oddometer: 52
Just came across this thread, and am sorry to read of your troubles...been there, done that, got the T-shirt, at least with respect to the wife/divorce thing. Having to go through that covers the entire range of emotion, I think...disappointment, sadness, anger, wtf?, loneliness, self-worth issues, and on and on. But it sounds like you've got a great handle on things, and kudos to you...get healthy and strong, and ride into the sunlight...
mjt1577 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 01:07 AM   #30
aTuWitty OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougInKY
The bike can be replaced (actually it looks like you are well on your way to replacing it). You need to concentrate on healing. It will take longer than you want but is worth it. Follow your doctor's advice (and your P.T.s as well) as it pays off in the long run.

Get a lawyer. It is hard (almost impossible) to come out whole financially without one in this type of accident (no, I am not a lawyer).

As to the (ex)wife, been there done that. My first wife and I just didn't work out. She is on her fourth husband now, I am on my second wife (33 years and counting). Just these numbers say volumes. What I am saying is if you decide that you like being married, pick a better spouse for your next marriage. It pays off. You will still have fights from time to time but all in all it is worth the hassles. The joys outweigh the bad times.

Namaste'
Doug in Kentucky
Thanks, Doug (from Doug in CA ;) ). It's been an interesting experience, overall. I learned about 6 months ago that my ex remarried, all of 11 months after the divorce was finalized. I, on the other hand, have been dating (or at least, attempting to date ) the woman of my dreams for the past 9 months. I kid you not, swinging-for-the-fences, out-of-my-league type of woman. Scholarshipped in Division 1 NCAA Volleyball all four years of college, got a bachelors in two years and a masters in the last two, crazy smart, all kinds of fun to be around, gorgeous like you wouldn't believe. Here's to hoping, eh?

When I got together with my ex, I had really REALLY low self esteem, and I suppose I told myself that I didn't think I'd ever find anyone else who would date me. She wasn't anything near what I wanted physically, mentally or emotionally (she pursued me). I say this not to disparage her, but as an attempt at objectively looking at my younger self through (hopefully) more experienced eyes. I grew to love her, flaws and all, but I didn't start out with anything more than a desire to love and be loved in return. I now know better, hence my attempts to woo the aforementioned dream girl ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RZRob View Post
Just went through a similar divorce. Still hurts, but needed to be done. I too have an XR650L ('06). Just sold my '99. Come on over to the XRL thread.

RZ Rob
I've been reading through that thread (and posting a few of my own questions). I'm at page 2800 or so. Unbelievable amounts of knowledge in there! Condolences on the divorce, mate. They say it's the second most emotionally traumatic thing someone can experience in their lives, next to the death of a spouse. I can't speak to the validity of that, and I think it'd be extremely difficult to quantify pain of any sort, but I do know that it's an awful feeling. My heart goes out to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solarbronco View Post
If I ever get divorced i will never get married again. They blame us for everything and often teach our kids to do the same. Watch tv, and on every show the husband/father is depicted as the dumbest man in the world.

In the movie "As good as it gets, a woman asks Jack Nicholson's character how he writes about women so well. He said, "I think of a man, and take away reasoning and accountability". Lol

My father is a 30 year veteran divorce attorney, believes that marriage to an American woman in this day and age is the dumbest thing that a guy can do.

Happy that you are healing up and that you are still riding. At least she talked you into the bike.
I agree that our society has the unfortunate tendency to automatically rubberstamp the male as the bad guy in these situations. I have a coworker who is going through court proceedings over custody of his children with his ex-wife. He's about the nicest guy I've ever met. I wouldn't use this assessment alone as basis for a judgment, but he has told me and shown me the evidence he has collected in dealing with his ex-wife, and the way the courts and therapists are handling it is horrifying to me. He has documented so many awful things that she has done, and yet she has not been held accountable for one of them. She, meanwhile, says anything she wants about him, without any evidence or documentation, and it is taken almost as if it were armor-clad evidence. Very sad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjt1577 View Post
Just came across this thread, and am sorry to read of your troubles...been there, done that, got the T-shirt, at least with respect to the wife/divorce thing. Having to go through that covers the entire range of emotion, I think...disappointment, sadness, anger, wtf?, loneliness, self-worth issues, and on and on. But it sounds like you've got a great handle on things, and kudos to you...get healthy and strong, and ride into the sunlight...
I'm (thankfully) on the other side of most of it. I'm moving on with life, got a different career track going (I realized that my last one was motivated by the desire to get a job near her family so she could be happy, and now that it's out of the way, I can choose something that I really want to do instead of what is convenient for her), and I'm really enjoying being me and doing what I want to do and what fulfills me.

As far as the accident is concerned, we're moving forward. My arm is still painful, my shoulder sometimes severely so. The nerve function hasn't really improved at all, which is a bit of a bummer, but life goes on. I can still function decently well. I can't pull my wallet out of my pocket with my right hand, and that's annoying like you wouldn't believe!!! Since I can't extend my fingers with any kind of strength, they are scrunched inwards when I push my hand into my pocket, so I can't grasp the wallet itself. My grip strength was unaffected, but it's useless if I can't get a grip on it in the first place. I've also lost a good deal of supination (rotating the forearm) which is quite annoying (especially when turning keys, for example).

It could be worse, though.

My YZF600R project is coming along. I have the motor out of the donor YZF (bent frame from when my friend got hit on it in October), and I should have it into the new YZF by the end of this week, and then I'm off riding again! (Hopefully... if my knees don't hurt too much).