Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 225 votes, 4.95 average. Display Modes
Old 12-15-2013, 06:01 AM   #3826
sailwing2003
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 397
[QUOTE=Hondo;22991193]Bought this 22 ft 2005 Fleetwood Jamboree today

We looked hard at those. I like the overhead bed, and then all the floor space for living. It kept the OL shorter, and still had everything we wanted. I was going to tow the bikes on the Kendon folding trailer. We would not need to tow a car to run around. Yours will be easy to park anywhere you want to stop and sightsee.

When we downsize, we will be back to looking for a B or a C like you have found. Enjoy the adventures. __________________

1998 Foretravel 36' Unicoach 295
Just sold the 08 GSA Adventure
sailwing2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 06:53 AM   #3827
Hondo
What if its a Samsquamch?

Oddometer: 9,230
[QUOTE=sailwing2003;22992620]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondo View Post
Bought this 22 ft 2005 Fleetwood Jamboree today

We looked hard at those. I like the overhead bed, and then all the floor space for living. It kept the OL shorter, and still had everything we wanted. I was going to tow the bikes on the Kendon folding trailer. We would not need to tow a car to run around. Yours will be easy to park anywhere you want to stop and sightsee.

When we downsize, we will be back to looking for a B or a C like you have found. Enjoy the adventures. __________________
Thanks!

I have Kendon myselk & this rig will be towing it all over the place - :

"Life's an adventure, and I refuse to live a boring one."

Hondo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 06:19 AM   #3828
PirateJohn
Banned

Oddometer: 22,219
First deployment of the new (to me) truck and trailer. Both are a work in progress and need some cosmetics but the truck ran well for about 150 miles at a steady 50-55 and is returning excellent fuel mileage for an RV. The trailer is very stable and tracks well, and so far I am very happy with the space, comfort, and general livability of the trailer.

It's really nice not to have an RV that wanders all around the road I'll tell ya!

And also not bad for a travel trailer that was built the year BEFORE I got out of college and a truck that isn't much newer!

Sometimes they really don't make 'me like they used to.

Sometimes however all is not perfect. I made a really sharp U-turn in the dark. The truck is incredibly maneuverable. The trailer is nimble. Guess that I need to recalculate those clearances however.

Oh well. A patch should be fine. Can you bend diamond plate aluminum?

That cell phone booster on a mast may be a bit jerry rigged but I have to say that I am really, really pleasantly surprised at how well it's working. Out here where the coyotes were literally howling last night when I went to bed it's nice having a strong phone signal and good internet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

PirateJohn screwed with this post 12-18-2013 at 06:26 AM
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 06:25 AM   #3829
AdamFL
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 159
Ouch. You can order Allclad aluminum fairly cheaply from airparts.com and use cherrymax rivets to patch, or screws for that matter.
AdamFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 08:13 AM   #3830
MeterPig
Meh

Oddometer: 17,089
What about lengthening the toungue?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
Old 12-18-2013, 08:32 AM   #3831
Patrick46
visionary

Oddometer: 2,785
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeterPig View Post
that's what she said!!!!

__________________________________________________ _______

Sure, you kin bend DP Aluminum. I'd use huck rivets. (probably hafta borrow the gun/tool though.)

www.artworks-unlimited.com
Patrick46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 08:33 AM   #3832
MeterPig
Meh

I have a soft spot for older classics.

Much like the Clippers, it appears this Cobra has a fiberglass body. Fiberglass in my mind is better than stick and tin. I might go check it out. Love the old Dodge B van bodies.

Old 12-18-2013, 08:52 AM   #3833
PaddedHat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 692
Quote:

Much like the Clippers, it appears this Cobra has a fiberglass body. Fiberglass in my mind is better than stick and tin.

Not that I have a clue on this particular RV, but there were some really weird fiberglass rigs "back in the day" Some builders did glass walls in a real similar manner to old style sticks and tin rigs. They literally ran the stuff like aluminum siding, then used molded caps at each end of the rig. I have seen rigs that were 25 Y.O and beyond, that had nice solid end caps and glass siding you could poke your finger through. It seems that the siding wasn't nearly the quality of the caps, and the sun pretty much turned it to mulch. Don't know what you're gonna' find on this one, but watch the sides and make sure that it isn't about shot. Good luck.
PaddedHat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 12:43 PM   #3834
PirateJohn
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamFL View Post
Ouch. You can order Allclad aluminum fairly cheaply from airparts.com and use cherrymax rivets to patch, or screws for that matter.

thanks Adam!
Old 12-18-2013, 12:55 PM   #3835
svs
All Hands on Deck!

Oddometer: 24,318
Quote:
You'd like mine then... 1988, getting close to "classic" status. Takes me the Misses and that Damn Motorcycle camping just fine, thank you very much!

Old 12-18-2013, 12:55 PM   #3836
PirateJohn
Banned

Quote:

Maybe having it pierced?

We were shooting the breeze about that this morning on FB. I kinda hate to because the truck/trailer combination is so well balanced. I am kinda leaning towards using diamond plate aluminum to make some patches that are basically disposable and perhaps double as access panels to the wiring under the skin.

Here's an idea. Hide my keg beer behind fake wiring panels.

Old 12-18-2013, 12:59 PM   #3837
MeterPig
Meh

Well....just as I went to call on the cobra.... It had been sold.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
Old 12-18-2013, 01:03 PM   #3838
Big Bird 928
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,287
I would go with the lengthened tongue, I HATE damaging equipment and if you have to be mindful of how sharp your turn is then the two vehicles do not go well together in my opinion.

Another option is to cut the corners off of your flatbed, you won't loose a whole lot of space and can end up with something that looks like this.

How sharp were you angled to hit? By loosing just a little bit of the corners you gain a lot in turning.
Big Bird 928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 01:07 PM   #3839
PirateJohn
Banned

Quote:

Much like the Clippers, it appears this Cobra has a fiberglass body. Fiberglass in my mind is better than stick and tin. I might go check it out. Love the old Dodge B van bodies.

I like the large window.
Old 12-18-2013, 01:15 PM   #3840
PirateJohn
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bird 928 View Post

Another option is to cut the corners off of your flatbed, you won't loose a whole lot of space and can end up with something that looks like this.

How sharp were you angled to hit? By loosing just a little bit of the corners you gain a lot in turning.

I did a VERY tight u-turn in a Texas biker bar parking lot.

When I get back to civilization (which could be weeks or months - we never know) I'll worry about it. Cutting the corners off the bed is a real possibility. That's a good idea! It looks like the rails actually hit and those will probably be coming off anyway.

To be honest I was working up a check list of mods to the truck and trailer this morning. Right now I am thinking about putting a lift for a trike in the bed of the truck. I am carrying two spare tires in the load space and considering having carriers made to carry them on the sides behind the tool boxes. Top tool box is probably coming off.

Six months ago my plans were quite different. Not too many weeks ago I briefly even toyed with getting another truck for modification.

"If you want to hear God laugh then tell him your plans." Or post them in advance on a forum.

So we shall see. Probably not going to do much more than patch the hole until I get a garage/workshop set up and start organizing my tools and spare parts. That might happen as soon as later in 2014.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: