Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-11-2013, 01:52 PM   #61
MudWalker OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,295
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketJohn View Post
So the Toyota FJ Cruiser with its 6 speed manual transmission comes with a full time AWD system vs. the part time 2wd/4wd system in the 5 speed automatic. They do, for some unknown reason, offer the FJC in a 2wd only setup and I'm not sure what transmission is available for that embarrassment of a decision.

So the Toyota FJ Cruiser with a manual transmission will come with a full time AWD system. Another model you can put on your list.
Too big, I'm done with SUV's. Want something that can at least approach 30mpg's.
MudWalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 01:53 PM   #62
RocketJohn
Hook em' Horns!

Oddometer: 11,316
Quote:
Originally Posted by MudWalker View Post
Nope, the 3 series BMW sedan does not offer a stick shift in any drive form!
That's actually not true. The 428ix, 435ix, and 335ix you can still get with a $0 Manual Transmission option. It doesn't appear the the 320 and 328 are coming to the USA with that option. Which is absurd for the 180hp 320 model.
RocketJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 01:57 PM   #63
MudWalker OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketJohn View Post
That's actually not true. The 428ix, 435ix, and 335ix you can still get with a $0 Manual Transmission option. It doesn't appear the the 320 and 328 are coming to the USA with that option. Which is absurd for the 180hp 320 model.
What are these models..........................? I was looking at 3 series sedans.
Old 12-11-2013, 01:59 PM   #64
RocketJohn
Hook em' Horns!

Oddometer: 11,316
Quote:
What are these models..........................? I was looking at 3 series sedans.
Well the BMW 4 series is the 3 series but in 2 door coupe form.

The 335ix is the AWD 3 series sedan with the 3.0 Twin turbo motor and you can get that with a 6 speed manual.
RocketJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 02:04 PM   #65
Hannda
Short, fat, bearded, slow

Oddometer: 27,526
Quote:
That's enough out of you, you knuckle dragger!
Take home a dozen Dirty John's dirt sticks for dinner and give SWMBO a kiss on the cheek from me.
Old 12-13-2013, 05:21 AM   #66
MudWalker OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannda View Post
Take home a dozen Dirty John's dirt sticks for dinner and give SWMBO a kiss on the cheek from me.
mmmmmmmmmmmmm.
Old 12-13-2013, 11:58 PM   #67
SOMA Man
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
I drive an Audi S5 with a 6 speed manual. Mine is the V8 version. A year ago they came out with the supercharged V6 model, which is both more fuel efficient and a little faster. Throw some snow tires on and it is a blast to drive in the snow. I will need to get something with four doors pretty soon and I am debating whether to get another car with a manual transmission (my wife can't drive a manual, which is both a blessing and a curse). When it comes to manual transmissions our options seem to diminish every year due to a combination of technology, efficiency, and demand. There is nothing quite like rowing your own gears.
SOMA Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 12:29 AM   #68
Tripl Nikl
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,684
Quote:
I've looked high and low, is Subaru really the only mfgr. that makes all the wheels powered with shifting being done with a clutch by the driver.

MudWife will not relent, she wants AWD and gears that change by her.

AWD + MT = Subaru, IMHO.

Quote:
We have done the Audi thing..............we loved it but, we hated the brake/tire eating, glitch prone, expensive service, hard to fix cars. If Audi could make their cars as reliable as Toyota no one would ever stray.

I am wishing Mazda would do a high end 6 awd wagon with a 6-speed diesel. Will this happen?
The Japanese cars tend to be the logical choices. The Germans, these days, are emotionally driven purchases. English--well, "English," as they're Indian now--are also emotional choices, but people are honest about that.

US cars? Hit and miss. Too bad, the US could have always been the world standard, but our business practices had people chasing returns and not building decent cars and brands.
Tripl Nikl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 12:16 PM   #69
BikePilot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,206
It is annoying that sporty wagons are so hard to come by. I want one for the wife as well. She really wants a stick. I prefer RWD, comfy, decent interior, and not totally boring (we are in FL, snow doesn't happen). There are cool, big, expensive, high-hp wagons like the CTS-V wagon with manual gearboxes, but really hard to find something mid-size, sporty, manual, and decent on gas. Not sure what we'll end up with. Something like an X1 manual or 3-series wagon with sport suspension and a manual would be quite nice.

Summer 2009 Ride Report http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...1509c&t=507038
Summer 2008 RR. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=367703
BikePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 01:45 PM   #70
A-Bone
Indubitably

Oddometer: 12,435
Quote:
Originally Posted by BikePilot View Post
It is annoying that sporty wagons are so hard to come by. I want one for the wife as well. She really wants a stick. I prefer RWD, comfy, decent interior, and not totally boring (we are in FL, snow doesn't happen). There are cool, big, expensive, high-hp wagons like the CTS-V wagon with manual gearboxes, but really hard to find something mid-size, sporty, manual, and decent on gas. Not sure what we'll end up with. Something like an X1 manual or 3-series wagon with sport suspension and a manual would be quite nice.
Answer:

My wife's 9-5 Aero wagon with manual transmission....

Of course they don't make them any more....

A-Bone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 08:30 AM   #71
bassogap
Haulin' the kids around

Oddometer: 1,195
Quote:
Originally Posted by BikePilot View Post
Look for an '05-'09 Subaru Legacy GT or Outback XT. Plenty sporty, and manual transmissions available.

Of course...Subarus are likely rare in Florida. Dime a dozen, here in the PNW.
bassogap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 08:34 AM   #72
jdiaz

Oddometer: 32,101
Quote:
Originally Posted by bassogap View Post
Look for an '05-'09 Subaru Legacy GT or Outback XT. Plenty sporty, and manual transmissions available.

Standard Seattle CL ad: "2008 Outback XT, 190k miles, ice cold AC, $21k"
jdiaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 10:31 PM   #73
Dukeryder

Oddometer: 7,450
Quote:
Originally Posted by bassogap View Post

Until 2002 (year the WRX hit the U.S.) the only Subaru's you'd see in FLA were people that just moved down from New England, and the occasional 2.5 RS Impreza.

Subaru is the Obvious AWD car, followed by Audis.

My first choice would be a Subaru (cheapest to buy, own and maintain), but if I were shopping Audi I'd choose the 335ix over the A4. My Dad and his wife have had several Audis (90s, S4, A4s) and my Sister had a TT for awhile, and those cars always needed something! Girlfriend has a Z4 and several friends have E46 and E90s and they're much more relaible cars than those Audis ever were.

You're really in a tough spot with the Manual. There's some cool AWD cars out there G37x, Lexus IS 250 AWD, E350 4matic, Chrysler 300 AWD, Ford Taurus AWD, but they're ALL Automatics!

Dukeryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 05:23 AM   #74
MudWalker OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOMA Man View Post
I drive an Audi S5 with a 6 speed manual. Mine is the V8 version. A year ago they came out with the supercharged V6 model, which is both more fuel efficient and a little faster. Throw some snow tires on and it is a blast to drive in the snow. I will need to get something with four doors pretty soon and I am debating whether to get another car with a manual transmission (my wife can't drive a manual, which is both a blessing and a curse). When it comes to manual transmissions our options seem to diminish every year due to a combination of technology, efficiency, and demand. There is nothing quite like rowing your own gears.
That is a fine car you drive, more sport than we need, but I've looked and I like and I lust. Our A4 with snows was just absolutely rock solid in the bad weather.......zero traction issues, no surprises, it was a great ride.

But really,.......................$450 for rear pads and rotors (installed)?

A new A4 sedan sits on top of my wish list....................it's the least practical but most desirable.

Mazda, can you hear me? Make me the car we want! A 6-speed wagon with awd and a 6-speed manual!
Old 12-16-2013, 05:30 AM   #75
MudWalker OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripl Nikl View Post
AWD + MT = Subaru, IMHO.

The Japanese cars tend to be the logical choices. The Germans, these days, are emotionally driven purchases. English--well, "English," as they're Indian now--are also emotional choices, but people are honest about that.

US cars? Hit and miss. Too bad, the US could have always been the world standard, but our business practices had people chasing returns and not building decent cars and brands.
This is so true. We drove the shit out of my Avalon yesterday, loaded of with kids and ski gear, we plowed through bad roads with complete confidence. I have a love hate thing with this car................it works great but it sucks, know what I mean? Germans make better rides. Japs make cars that work with no complaints for 15 years.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: