Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-15-2013, 09:24 AM   #166
Bueller
Cashin?

Oddometer: 17,141
Quote:
Originally Posted by mflora98ss View Post
Only people that like to lose an ass load of money buy new cars. I meant used. New, you are right. The Mustangs are great bang for your buck, just not my buck.
Depends on what vehicle you are buying. A lightly used Wrangler for example, isn't necessarily a good deal because resale value is so high.

Beyond that my statement still applies for used vehicles because most Ford models don't have particularly good resale value. For example I bought my Shelby lightly used (11,000 miles), still under warranty, and well below book value at $31k, with mods that increased power by over 20% from the stock 500 hp rating. The original owner had more than $50k in the car. I'd challenge you to find anything else new or used in that price range that offers the combination of power, performance, handling, braking, etc., for that money.

For a more mainstream view take a look at a 2011 V-6 Mustang. A typical example with 45,000 miles would cost $15k - $20k depending on options. Here is what Car and Driver had to say about the straight line performance:

Strapped with our test gear, we spurred a new V-6 Mustang with the standard six-speed manual to 60 mph in 5.4 seconds and through the quarter-mile in 14 flat at 104 mph. That’s over one second better in both tests than the previous V-6 model and just a half-second or so off the paces of the quickest 2010 GT we tested. More important, the 3520-pound Mustang V-6 is 0.5 second quicker than the 3800-pound Chevy Camaro V-6 in both measures—cue the chirping from the peanut gallery—and the Ford also outruns the slightly lighter and more powerful Hyundai Genesis V-6 coupe.

Here's what they had to say about handling:

The V-6 may be only 60 pounds lighter than the new GT, but the difference feels greater from the driver’s seat; it’s more nimble and neutral-handling, with a surprising amount of feedback from the electric power-steering rack. Despite the solid-axle layout, our tester’s ride felt compliant and controlled, with little if any uneasiness during hard cornering on rough pavement.

We’ll say the steering is a bit too light for our liking, and the suspension tuning made for an occasional ass-out surprise during abrupt, high-speed directional changes. But we can’t fault the big-league numbers: a 152-foot stop from 70 mph and a neck-straining 0.95 g around the skidpad, both of which slightly better the 2011 GT’s and approach those of far more expensive stuff. We also didn’t notice any fade from the stock brakes, which should hold up fairly well even if you plan to hit the track regularly. (Did we just suggest frequent track use of a V-6 Mustang? I think we did.)

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...take-road-test

14 second 1/4 mile. 5.4 seconds 0-60. Great brakes. .95g on the skid pad. New or used, comparing similar age and mileage - what is out there that provides better bang for the buck? There are other cars out there I'd consider driving in that same price range, but they will either be significantly older and/or not perform as well (for example I'd have to go much older to get a Boxster in that price range, and it wouldn't perform as well).

"bueller, you ARE an island of reason in a sea of bullshit" - quasigentrified
Bueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 11:19 AM   #167
mflora98ss
Dual Sportin'

Oddometer: 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
Depends on what vehicle you are buying. A lightly used Wrangler for example, isn't necessarily a good deal because resale value is so high.

Beyond that my statement still applies for used vehicles because most Ford models don't have particularly good resale value. For example I bought my Shelby lightly used (11,000 miles), still under warranty, and well below book value at $31k, with mods that increased power by over 20% from the stock 500 hp rating. The original owner had more than $50k in the car. I'd challenge you to find anything else new or used in that price range that offers the combination of power, performance, handling, braking, etc., for that money.

14 second 1/4 mile. 5.4 seconds 0-60. Great brakes. .95g on the skid pad. New or used, comparing similar age and mileage - what is out there that provides better bang for the buck? There are other cars out there I'd consider driving in that same price range, but they will either be significantly older and/or not perform as well (for example I'd have to go much older to get a Boxster in that price range, and it wouldn't perform as well).
One particular car that I would choose would be a couple year old C6 Corvette that you could get into for the 30k range. If you shop around you might be able to get into a ZO6 for around 35k. You can get a smoking deal on them now that the C7's are out and all those mustache sporting guys are trading in their C6's. Another couple choices would be for a Subaru STI, or a Mitsubishi Lancer EVO just to name a few. You bought your Shelby the right way and got a super deal.
mflora98ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 11:26 AM   #168
Tripped1
Likely Lost.

Oddometer: 7,443
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulepick View Post
My '13 GT/CS is this 55+ dude's daily driver. The garage is full of bikes that get eye-fucked and an 06 F-250 PSD that sits outside neither gitting driven much or eye-fucked (but stands ready to hump the camper). I get 18 in the summer and 19 in the winter with the Coyote 5.0.
My ex's 1994 Five-point-slow got 26mph highway, and that was with me driving the piss out of it 11 hours to Indianapolis...I don't think I went much under 90mph unless I was stopping for gas
Tripped1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 04:22 PM   #169
Bueller
Cashin?

Quote:
One particular car that I would choose would be a couple year old C6 Corvette that you could get into for the 30k range. If you shop around you might be able to get into a ZO6 for around 35k. You can get a smoking deal on them now that the C7's are out and all those mustache sporting guys are trading in their C6's. Another couple choices would be for a Subaru STI, or a Mitsubishi Lancer EVO just to name a few. You bought your Shelby the right way and got a super deal.
C6 corvette = slower in a straight line but a little better handling. Kind of a wash.

I was a Mitsubishi Diamond Pro Master Auto Tech. Made a lot of money on their cars. I don't want to own one because I rebuilt hundreds of their AWD gearboxes, but beyond that the EVO and the STI can be classified the same - competent and quick, but not particularly exciting (as was the case with my WRX, which had a really crappy interior for the money too!) I think the BRZ would be a more entertaining but slower car to drive, but I'll confess to not having driven one. I enjoyed my '00 miata a lot more than I enjoyed the WRX. Of everything you mentioned besides Mustang and Mustang variants the Corvette is the best overall choice, but you still haven't listed anything that provides more bang for the buck than a Mustang, new or used.

Old 12-15-2013, 05:18 PM   #170
BCC
I know better

Oddometer: 7,978
Well, I really like the '15's look. I'm adding the GT to the list.

Cherish the memories------Ken OBSC
BCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 05:44 PM   #171
mflora98ss
Dual Sportin'

Oddometer: 401
Quote:
C6 corvette = slower in a straight line but a little better handling. Kind of a wash.

I was a Mitsubishi Diamond Pro Master Auto Tech. Made a lot of money on their cars. I don't want to own one because I rebuilt hundreds of their AWD gearboxes, but beyond that the EVO and the STI can be classified the same - competent and quick, but not particularly exciting (as was the case with my WRX, which had a really crappy interior for the money too!) I think the BRZ would be a more entertaining but slower car to drive, but I'll confess to not having driven one. I enjoyed my '00 miata a lot more than I enjoyed the WRX. Of everything you mentioned besides Mustang and Mustang variants the Corvette is the best overall choice, but you still haven't listed anything that provides more bang for the buck than a Mustang, new or used.
I guess we'll have to agree to disagree then if you think a C6 Z06 is not a better choice. There is no doubt that the Mustang is great bang for your buck, I would rather spend my buck elsewhere on a C6 ZO6. Now I can't say that I have driven the current Mustang in question, But I have driven a few ZO6's and can say that this car is very tough to beat in the straight line and in handling, even an old 2002 385 horse ZO6 flat out hauls ass, and tears up the twisties. I would have to disagree with you on the WRX not being exciting. I've given many a hater rides in my 02 bug eye WRX on the seasonal snow covered roads around these parts and made them all believers.
mflora98ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 07:14 PM   #172
Bueller
Cashin?

Quote:
I guess we'll have to agree to disagree then if you think a C6 Z06 is not a better choice. There is no doubt that the Mustang is great bang for your buck, I would rather spend my buck elsewhere on a C6 ZO6. Now I can't say that I have driven the current Mustang in question, But I have driven a few ZO6's and can say that this car is very tough to beat in the straight line and in handling, even an old 2002 385 horse ZO6 flat out hauls ass, and tears up the twisties. I would have to disagree with you on the WRX not being exciting. I've given many a hater rides in my 02 bug eye WRX on the seasonal snow covered roads around these parts and made them all believers.
I'm not saying a C6 Z06 isn't a better choice. I'm saying it doesn't provide more bang for the buck than a Mustang, because it costs more than a Mustang!

A WRX is exciting in the snow, but on dry pavement it is not an exciting car to drive compared to either a Mustang or a Vette.

Old 12-15-2013, 07:23 PM   #173
DomEOD OP
'murica

Oddometer: 2,372
Quote:
I'm not saying a C6 Z06 isn't a better choice. I'm saying it doesn't provide more bang for the buck than a Mustang, because it costs more than a Mustang!

A WRX is exciting in the snow, but on dry pavement it is not an exciting car to drive compared to either a Mustang or a Vette.

That. They're a blast in the snow and dirt, but on the street and track mine did not do it for me.

Initial Success or Total Failure.
DomEOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 08:22 PM   #174
rocker59
diplomatico di moto

Oddometer: 15,538
Quote:
Horsepower numbers mean nothing to me or anyone else who knows anything about fast cars. A 2000 Vette will run high twelves in the quarter mile which is a few tenths slower than what this two door Fusion will run which is comparable.

Now go fetch me a beer, and not that cheap shit you drink.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocker59 View Post
1/4 mile times mean nothing to someone who lives in the mountains and only drives on curvy roads.

What's a Fusion's lap time at Willow Springs or Laguna Seca? The Vette's?

Fuck beer. I'll have a whiskey...

Quote:
I think you've had enough whiskey if your comparing the Mustang to a Corvette on a road coarse.
No mention of comparing a Mustang and a Corvette in the above exchange.
IBA #24873, MGNOC #21347
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt
rocker59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 06:14 AM   #175
jmlmjmjm
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 877
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocker59 View Post
No mention of comparing a Mustang and a Corvette in the above exchange.
mflora is using "Fusion" instead of Mustang in the above exchange....his way of belittling the Mustang.
jmlmjmjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 07:06 AM   #176
ScottDill
TANSTAAFL

Oddometer: 4,138
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmlmjmjm View Post
mflora is using "Fusion" instead of Mustang in the above exchange....his way of belittling the Mustang.
Is it even the same platform? Mustang is RWD.
ScottDill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 07:46 AM   #177
Tripped1
Likely Lost.

Oddometer: 7,443
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottDill View Post
Is it even the same platform? Mustang is RWD.
Not even close.
Tripped1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 07:57 AM   #178
TooFast
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 680
I wonder how much longer the new Camaro and Challenger will be in production? Well equipped hipo V8 versions are a bit pricy....last SRT and SS I looked at was ~$50K - pretty much new Vette territory
TooFast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 12:50 PM   #179
ShadyRascal
Master of None

Oddometer: 6,121
Strapped with our test gear, we spurred a new V-6 Mustang with the standard six-speed manual to 60 mph in 5.4 seconds and through the quarter-mile in 14 flat at 104 mph. That’s over one second better in both tests than the previous V-6 model and just a half-second or so off the paces of the quickest 2010 GT we tested. More important, the 3520-pound Mustang V-6 is 0.5 second quicker than the 3800-pound Chevy Camaro V-6 in both measures—cue the chirping from the peanut gallery—and the Ford also outruns the slightly lighter and more powerful Hyundai Genesis V-6 coupe.

Hey, if this new Mustang is really a couple hundred pounds lighter than the current version, and the V-6 has the same or even more power, a V-6 2015 will be some kinda car at a budget price.

Evolution, or, natural selection, has nothing to do with better.

It merely weeds out what is no longer suitable for the given context.

Originally Posted by Dragoon

I would rather be on my motorcycle thinking about God than in church thinking about my motorcycle.
ShadyRascal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 09:23 PM   #180
spagthorpe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 14,533
I saw on a lot tonight, new 2014 V6 Mustangs going for $17K and change. That's about the cost of a Kia Soul? Too bad Ford didn't come out with a track package like they do on the GTs. I guess an enthusiast has a lot of other routes to work on suspension and brakes, but it's always a bargain from the factory.
spagthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: