Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-15-2013, 09:55 AM   #16
rider33
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 960
If she likes the Vespa copy, she would likely love a GTS 300. That has a top end of around 80 which makes it a lot more flexible than most people think, a low cog weight around 300 pds. and that critical feature (in addition to style) that most women love: storage! I have several bikes most of which my wife won't go near but she ASKS to go on rides with the Vespa.

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/265/16...er-Review.aspx

rider33 screwed with this post 12-15-2013 at 10:04 AM Reason: linky
rider33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 10:01 AM   #17
CaptainCrunch OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
I consider the bike you just described as both ugly and dangerous. It is not a cruiser, it is a homemade piece of junk that is probably not even street legal.

Here are some pictures of my former Rebel, which has been modified to fit me better. Notice how the pegs have been relocated forward. On the stock bike they are about 4" back

https://plus.google.com/photos/10724...777?banner=pwa
The neons are a ticketable offense, but the bike itself is high-zoot. This kind of thing, but with ridiculous bars.

Poor sumbitch probably has 40,000 clams into looking like a goofus. But I guess if he's happy, I'm happy.

1976 BMW R75/6 with '78 R100S heart transplant. 1967 Honda CL90 Scrambler project. 2011 LaVita Vespa clone (for the missus)
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 10:48 AM   #18
Canuman
Crusty & Unobliging

Oddometer: 4,486
I agree with your Missus - cruisers leave me pretty cold. I personally can't fathom riding a bike where it's near impossible to stand up on the pegs. Our roads are rough enough around here so it's a valuable thing to be able to stand.

The TU250 seems to be one of the best of the little standards, although you're still stuck with a 30" seat height, which might be a little tricky with a 26" inseam. You could probably pare an inch or so off of that by fitting shorter shocks and dropping the forks in the triples. I've had shortened shocks made up by Klaus at YSS USA in the past. They really aren't stunning shocks, but they work, are very reasonably priced and Klaus' customer service is hard to beat. He stands by them if there's any problems. http://www.yssusa.com/

For a small, light rider, I think they'd be fine.

The TU is really good looking, fuel injected, and gets ridiculously good mileage. I also like the tire sizes better - 18" and 19" wheels give a much better selection of tires than on the Rebel. It's also lighter, has a few more HP, and a bigger tank than a Rebel.

Really, the Honda Rebel is the low-seat leader at 26.6" A Shadow has shorter seat height still, but it's a lot wider, and a great deal heavier, and both have cruiser styling. For a smaller rider, weight makes as much of a difference as anything.
hONORARY mEMBER fIRST aMERICAN cHAPTER tEAM nONGA (pROVISIONAL wING)
Canuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 10:41 PM   #19
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,391
The TU250 could work with the right boots. Thick non slip soles make a world of difference when you can barely touch the ground. I have had a couple of KLR650s, and even with a 34" inseam, could not get my feet on the ground very well. I would sit there at stoplights rocking the bike from left to right. I would have almost certainly dropped it if I had been wearing shoes with thin slippery soles.

You might also be able to cut the seat down a bit. But I do not recommending lowering a street bike. They already barely have enough ground clearance, and lowering them can make them dangerous in corners. The KLR could be lowered quite a bit and still be rideable on the street. But it would be unsuitable for dirt, and there are far better street only bikes.

Look at the pictures you posted. Those things are completely unrideable. They have zero ground clearance. They don't even need a sidestand to hold them up. And the fact that they are so ugly and cost a fortune makes even less sense. They look like they might be from the same culture that puts 40" wheels on cars. They would not be considered roadworthy by any state that has inspections. As far as I know, they were built just to look at. Kind of like a statue or sculpture. Some people have strange tastes when it comes to "art"

As for displacement, I don't think that is the main thing. A 250 Rebel is freeway capable. I think the bike should fit the rider. And most small bikes are also small displacement. You can ride around the world on a Rebel. It is a perfect fit for a shorter person. I definitely would not recommend one for someone my size, it's almost like riding a pocket bike. A larger person needs a bike that physically fits them. I found the perfect bike for me in the Kawasaki Vulcan 750. I have worn out two brand new ones.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 09:53 AM   #20
n8dawg6
krunkin'

Oddometer: 207
I started out with a Honda VLX600. they weigh about 450 lbs, and they have 4 gears. a lower seat you will not find, and it was a very benign and predictable machine. not made anymore, but used examples are out there for cheap. its a little more of a handful than a 250, but a good trainer.
Old 12-16-2013, 10:14 AM   #21
elefantmans
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
My wife's a petite 5'3 and struggled on a sportster low and found it carried its weight high at low speed, after a couple of years we traded it for a Bonneville SE which she loves, with -1 tooth on the front sprocket it hammered my GSA in top gear 50mph roll on races up to 80mph when my bike caught up, if I could only have 1 bike to do it all it'd be a tough choice between a 660 tenere and a Bonneville
elefantmans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 10:34 AM   #22
SocalRob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,341
What about the new Honda Grom? Economical bike, yet has ABS and is pretty cool looking.

'07 White (the coolest color) GSA rider
'13 Husky Strada & '14 KTM 690 Enduro
SocalRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 10:35 AM   #23
Navin
Unwounding

Oddometer: 6,672
Poke thru the last few pages of this thread...

http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...906246&page=12

For what can be done to a Ninja 250/300 pretty easily. You handy? Go get a 250 for $1500 in perfect condition and take it apart a bit! Drop a couple hunnerd in it. The base bike is just about as good size wise as you will find.

The new Suzuki 250 summthin, GW maybe? Is coming out as a porky, underpowered naked by all accounts. Might be 25 HP and north of 400 lbs IIRC. Headlight like a Roman gladiator helmet too, if she likes that sorta thing.
Navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 10:38 AM   #24
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor

Oddometer: 16,099
Check seat-shape as well as seat-height.

It doesn't have to be dinky to be able to ride.
IBA #40578

shine on, you crazy emo diamond
RaY YreKa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 02:34 PM   #25
mrbreeze
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,634
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
To start out with, I recommend a used 250 Rebel. They are specifically built for shorter people, much moreso than any other small bike. I fit fine on a TU250, a V-Star 250, an S40, and even the little Kawasaki Eliminator 125. But the Rebel has a very low seat, and high mounted pegs. My knees stuck up above the gas tank. But I am 6' with a 34" inseam. I was able to modify a Rebel so I could ride it a couple hundred miles at the time by moving the pegs, shifter, and brake 4" forward with homemade brackets. The reason I wound up with a Rebel in the first place is because I bought one for my 5'4" daughter, who grew up on dirt bikes. She expressed an interest in street riding, so I got her the Rebel. She got her permit, and rode it around for awhile, but never did overcome her fear of traffic.

But for someone around 5'1", it would be an absolutely perfect fit, and should be very comfortable. It has a super low seat, and is very lightweight with no handling quirks. Very confidence inspiring. Yes it's a cruiser, but even if she doesn't like cruisers it would be an ideal bike to get started on, and you can get them cheap. By the time she gets everything down, she may have a better idea of what she wants. BTW, faired sportbikes leave me cold as well. And in a great deal of pain.

I agree. My wife is on her 4th Rebel, but the current one is a 450. Very rare these days.

Travels with Maw Maw
mrbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 09:21 PM   #26
CaptainCrunch OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Pretty solid suggestions here. A Grom is kind of a mutant baby Monster, though a CBR250-engined-variant would be AMAZING. An old 450 NightHawk wouldn't be a bad notion either.

I'm kind of torn between get her a V7 and hope it's not too much bike so she can grow into it, or get her a Grom and hope she doesn't grow out of it in 2 months.

1976 BMW R75/6 with '78 R100S heart transplant. 1967 Honda CL90 Scrambler project. 2011 LaVita Vespa clone (for the missus)
Old 12-17-2013, 09:47 PM   #27
Canuman
Crusty & Unobliging

Oddometer: 4,486
The Grom has a nearly 30" seat height. I mean, it looks fun as hell -- I would like to take a spin on one just to re-live my Z50 days, but I'd think it would run out of wind in in a hurry. It is light, I'll give it that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Pretty solid suggestions here. A Grom is kind of a mutant baby Monster, though a CBR250-engined-variant would be AMAZING. An old 450 NightHawk wouldn't be a bad notion either.

I'm kind of torn between get her a V7 and hope it's not too much bike so she can grow into it, or get her a Grom and hope she doesn't grow out of it in 2 months.
hONORARY mEMBER fIRST aMERICAN cHAPTER tEAM nONGA (pROVISIONAL wING)
Canuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 11:58 AM   #28
JoeDuck
Kilroy was here

Oddometer: 823
How about a Monster 620?
Old 12-18-2013, 09:39 PM   #29
CaptainCrunch OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeDuck View Post
How about a Monster 620?
Any list that includes the V7 would do well to have the 620 on it too. I just am trying to make sure I pick a bike that would really fit her and is uninfluenced by my loooong list of bikes I want to buy for myself. Otherwise I would just get that XS650 (or RD350, or R65 LS, or CB350/4 etc. etc) and happily announce "Look what I got for us!!". Plus the Duc doesn't seem that small, and the ones around here are asking 90% of retail for 5 y.o./10,000mi bikes. But this whole thing is kind of looking for recommendations, so I'll keep it in mind.

CaptainCrunch screwed with this post 12-18-2013 at 09:46 PM
Old 12-18-2013, 10:07 PM   #30
Omarius
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 189
You can pick up a 696 for 6k. The amount you save buying a 620 is kind of negligible.
Omarius is offline   Reply With Quote