Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-14-2013, 09:18 PM   #46
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer: 15,162
time for your meds JerryH....you're rambling again

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
Never ridden a R3, but it reminds me of the fist gen V-Max. It has more power than the pipe rack chassis can handle. Fun in a straight line, but in curves it's just a big heavy bike that doesn't handle well. The Goldwing likely handles better than any of the others, but it just has too much plastic, and while the mechanical part is mostly reliable, it is loaded with gadgets, and they tend to fail. I had a '95 1500, and it had lots of problems, but never left me stranded. The stereo didn't work when I bought it, but I never understood the concept of a stereo on a bike anyway.
IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 10:59 PM   #47
Rox
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 143
Cruisers nowadays unlike the V-Max can actually handle. I test rode a Rocket once and after getting used to the footing position I was able to throw it like a sportbike through twisties . Not as fast as say a true sports bike but much faster than you would ever think a pig cruiser could ever do.
I'd own a a Rocket any day. If I ever get a cruiser that would certainly be the one.
Rox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 08:41 AM   #48
Bueller
Cashin?

Oddometer: 17,086
Quote:
Never ridden a R3, but it reminds me of the fist gen V-Max. It has more power than the pipe rack chassis can handle. Fun in a straight line, but in curves it's just a big heavy bike that doesn't handle well. The Goldwing likely handles better than any of the others, but it just has too much plastic, and while the mechanical part is mostly reliable, it is loaded with gadgets, and they tend to fail. I had a '95 1500, and it had lots of problems, but never left me stranded. The stereo didn't work when I bought it, but I never understood the concept of a stereo on a bike anyway.
So you've never ridden one, but you believe you are qualified to speak on handling and road behavior? You truly are an idiot.

"bueller, you ARE an island of reason in a sea of bullshit" - quasigentrified
Bueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 10:38 AM   #49
Rox
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
So you've never ridden one, but you believe you are qualified to speak on handling and road behavior? You truly are an idiot.
Rox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 11:17 AM   #50
Tripped1
Likely Lost.

Oddometer: 7,359
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
Not to mention he couldn't be more wrong. RIIIs carry their weight remarkably well.

.....the original V-Max THAT thing had a chassis that couldn't keep up.
Tripped1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 12:24 PM   #51
Bueller
Cashin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripped1 View Post
Not to mention he couldn't be more wrong. RIIIs carry their weight remarkably well.

.....the original V-Max THAT thing had a chassis that couldn't keep up.
Most bikes in the '80's had a chassis that couldn't keep up. It's reminiscent of the original muscle car era. There was such a push to be the horsepower king that engines were developed over everything else. Chassis/brakes/suspension were only developed years later.

Old 12-15-2013, 12:29 PM   #52
EricD10563
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 662
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripped1 View Post
....the original V-Max THAT thing had a chassis that couldn't keep up.
Your quote reminds me of my 1985 Honda V65 that I owned for more than twenty years, it was a blast to get on it sure would hook up nicely off the line but watch out when a corner came after reaching some insane speed on the straight.
In 2009 I rode 18,589 miles on an island that's 72 miles long. That's 50 miles a day everyday for 365 days. I think I'll go home now. 91k miles and still riding http://travelwithe.com/blogengine.net/ my YouTube Channel http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTJA4CrFRY-_rvDejPct73g
EricD10563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 12:30 PM   #53
Bueller
Cashin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricD10563 View Post
Your quote reminds me of my 1985 Honda V65 that I owned for more than twenty years, it was a blast to get on it sure would hook up nicely off the line but watch out when a corner came after reaching some insane speed on the straight.
The 1980's equivalent of the widow maker.

Old 12-15-2013, 06:36 PM   #54
vicster
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 967
Quote:
Never ridden a R3, but it reminds me of the fist gen V-Max. It has more power than the pipe rack chassis can handle. Fun in a straight line, but in curves it's just a big heavy bike that doesn't handle well.
Just in case anyone out there is considering a Rocket III, be aware the only accuracy in these statements is the poster has never ridden an R3. The rest is pure unadulterated bullshit. I've ~50,000 miles on two different Rockets, and trust me, they handle just fine, especially the Roadster. No bob, no weave, just go where you aim them. Good brakes, good ground clearance, seriously fun. By making the engine a stressed member, they not only ended up with a stout frame, but also a low center of gravity.
vicster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 06:48 PM   #55
KingOfFleece
SplitWeight(tm)

Oddometer: 698
100% correct. I have almost 15000 miles on a R3. The more proficient the rider the better the bike handles.
The rider needs to tell the bike what to do and be very clear about it. It does not forgive the careless input but rewards the skilled pilot quite nicely.
KingOfFleece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 06:52 PM   #56
Dchap
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
I took a 14 R3 Roadster for a demo ride a few weeks ago. The salesman handed me the keys and said be careful! Man what a hoot, not only was this thing a "Rocket" it also handled very well for a big heavy bike. I ended up buying a Cb500x as a backroad, offroad playbike. I will probably buy a new Rocket Roadster this coming Summer. That bike was a blast to ride and you don't see many on the road, a big plus!! Quite the attention getter..
Dchap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 09:15 PM   #57
Quedok
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 190
Rocket roadster

I bought a 2013 Rocket Roadster last November and it is a beast. It demands respect but point it where you want it and it goes. The thing is you have to muscle it in the turns as it is NOT a sport bike, but it as fun as Hell!
Quedok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 03:23 AM   #58
coneye
Adventurer

Oddometer: 77
Well like i said in a previous post , I've got the rocket tourer , and i have been thinking very seriously about changing it ,, So then comes the question TO WHAT ,, So i had a good hard think about it and , the easiest way was to analize what i want /need it for , , answer 2 up touring and sunday rides with the missis ,

Anyway , i've had a vulcan , ive rode a suzuki boulavard ,, i've owned a Triumph Thunderbird 1600 , i've rode a road king , and the only one i would even contemplate was a road king . So it was simple , compare them

Comfort ---- For me --- a draw

Comfort ---passenger ---- Rocket

Power ---- winner --- Rocket

Handling over 30klm ,----Rocket

Under 30 klm ----- Rocket

Tourque ----- Rocket

Handling in the hills ,,---- Rocket waaay better

Local price ,, --- rocket (touring model ), $24000

Road King ------$ 32,000 plus passenger backrest , (a must , comes with the rocket ) $800.

End result ,, Rocket approx $9000 cheaper , and a better bike .

So i decided to keep the rocket , and maybee upgrade the 2012 v strom for the new 1000 , or maybee the tenere ..

Just cannot , warrant spending more on a bike that will do less
coneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 05:41 PM   #59
Mattbastard
Lazy ass

Oddometer: 1,956
I've been eyeballing the Rocket 3 Roadster lately. That is an appealing bike to me.
Mattbastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 05:36 PM   #60
9secondsflat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 251
This is what can be done with a rocket...

Of course first you need to send it to Bob Carpenter and get a 240 rwhp package like mine in the pics...
9secondsflat is offline   Reply With Quote