Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Trials
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-18-2013, 06:29 AM   #151
Lotus54
Ngana

Oddometer: 158
Gearing has actually worked ok. Low is alright for picking through places with no trail at all. I use 3 or 4 th for most of the trials, on connector roads it is nice having the higher 5/6. It would be. Bit better with a more even, but it works just fine.

Neutral is about the same as my 300, rocking the bike a little or put it in neutral when moving bolt work. The gearbox as supposed to be upgraded for 14.

I don't have a map switch- I think it would be nice to try.

Buzz over on the ferry some time!

Mark
Old 12-18-2013, 10:17 AM   #152
NechakoRiver
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneEffinName View Post
Louts54, My buddy and I just bought a pair of explorers. We are across the water from you in Victoria. Mine is a 2012 old stock (#129) should be here in a week, my buddy already has his (I think his was the first one in N.A.). We went riding with it yesterday and had lots of fun. We both have KTM EXCFs, so this will be fine as a play bike and for the wifey to ride.

I gotta few questions:

(1) What is your gearing? We use the bikes for technical trail riding and junior events, which does not require such low gearing.

(2) Neutral was a bit of a pain to find while the engine was running - do you have the same issue?

(3) Do you have a map switch? Can you tell any difference?

thanks!
I've got the TR280i but they are very similar bikes so I'll chime in.

Neutral being hard to find is normal. Try at a slow roll and you should be able to find it with a little less trouble. Fresh oil is needed to keep it shifting smoothly. I use PJ1 Clutch Tuner Ultralight oil.

My bike has 11/42 gearing and I find it to be a good range for what I do. I'm purely a trail rider and it will go from putting at a crawl to 60km/h on logging roads. It will probably go faster than that but I'll need a smoother and straighter logging road to find out. It starts to feel a little floaty at that speed with only 4 psi in the tires.

Enjoy the new bikes!
NechakoRiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 07:23 AM   #153
OneEffinName
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 432
Lotus54, I have seen a few of your postings on TT and Trials Central - is there a forum specific to the Explorer or is all lumped into the trials stuff? It be nice to connect directly with a bunch of other Explorer owners.
OneEffinName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 07:40 AM   #154
lamotovita
Ageing Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,399
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneEffinName View Post
Lotus54, I have seen a few of your postings on TT and Trials Central - is there a forum specific to the Explorer or is all lumped into the trials stuff? It be nice to connect directly with a bunch of other Explorer owners.
I suggest using this thread http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...9#post23023629

That way there might more than three of you.
Old 12-19-2013, 08:06 AM   #155
OneEffinName
Gnarly Adventurer

God, last thing I want is another mega thread on ADVRider...

Plus I want to talk specifically with other Explorer owners, about their Explorers, and not a bunch of armchair blustering about why the freeride is better than the X Ride... blah de blah. Isn't there already too many threads on this topic - why start another?
Old 12-19-2013, 10:14 AM   #156
Lotus54
Ngana

Oddometer: 158
There is a OSSA only forum (website) but I think almost no members.
http://ossaforum.com

While I think the thread lamo started has lots of merit, but I also can see a specific only would be nice - although currently not that many around.
I personally think the more people that actually try one will increase the numbers a lot. Of course it depends if you live fairly near a dealer of if you don't mine being a distance from one.
Heck, I guess the closest one to me is really only about 20 miles away- but a boat ride and boarder crossing...

Maybe along with the one lamo started one that is Explorer specific?

Mark
Old 12-19-2013, 11:03 AM   #157
OneEffinName
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus54 View Post
There is a OSSA only forum (website) but I think almost no members.
http://ossaforum.com
Hey Mark - thanks, this is good. I have a list of 10-15 guys with Explorers from around the world, I will get them to sign up.