Romaniacs 2014: I want to race it thread

Discussion in 'Racing' started by Maineroot, Dec 8, 2013.

1. MasterMarine

MasterMarine Long timer

Oddometer:
    My wife said you might consider flying into Cluj Napoca and then ground transport to Sibiu from there.
  2. lowbudget

lowbudget _twin brothers on the go_

Oddometer:
    My brother is gonna race RBR 2014. I´m trying to ride a week before the race and help him out as a mechanic during race-week.

We can get to Sibiu by car. It´s still about a 22h drive from where we live in Germany.

Driving in Romania is allright, although the roads suck (railroad crossings are extreme) and you probably only manage 50-60km in an hour.
  3. Johnnymoto

Johnnymoto Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    KTM Sux man, you aren't really going all the way to Romania to ride a freakin KTM are you?
  4. RichBeBe

RichBeBe All Hail Seitan!!!

Oddometer:
    I visited Sibu, not for the race but to see friends and flew to Budapest and took a van theere. It was long like eight hours, but it was almost $600 difference in airfare when I went and I was cheap:wink:
  5. B1KSOLO

B1KSOLO Living the Dream

Oddometer:
    Matt tell him about the last honda you race :deal
  6. sprinter 27

sprinter 27 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Vancouver- Munich - Sibiu worked awesome for us. Bucharest is a long drive.
    From what I have seen the freerides would be great in the prologue,but you want a 300 for the main event days.
    And if finances and time permit,hook up with one of the enduro tours before hand,well worth it for knowing the terrain and getting to really see the sights
  7. Chilly

Chilly Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have to add my vote for trying to fly into Sibiu. We ended up having to go to Bucharest at the last minute and rent a car from there. It added a lot to the trip. It is a minimum 4 hour drive, easily more with traffic.

We did find a very good airport hotel, RIN Airport, for 39 euro. Pretty good considering the first place we checked was 150 euro. Nothing like having to drive around looking for a hotel in the middle of the night, in the rain, after flying 15 hours.....

If you do not have someone coming along who plans to chase for you, you literally do not need a car. It is a 10 minute cab ride from the Sibiu airport to the hotel/paddock. Nearly everything is walking distance from there. It is also very easy to catch a cab around the city area.

But as the race grows, they are having to use more outlying hotels also, ours was about 3/4 of a mile from the Paddock this year. We still walked most of the time, easier than trying to find a parking space.

As for bikes, I just can't imagine anything being better than a 300.
  8. LocuL

LocuL Gnarly Steward

Oddometer:
    i would still suggest to connect to my contact earlier in the thread. He might be able to help with knowhow and logistic questions.
  9. Rorider

Rorider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Was there this summer. Went on a 2 day trip on 350 EXCs on the same grounds where they organize RBR. It was a lot of fun and very intense! The scenery is amazing and you have to be in top physical condition.

We went with the guys from Enduro Guided Tours http://enduroguidedtours.com/. Amazing guys. Emil, the owner, was our guide for the entire trip. Great guy, I highly recommend them.

I recommend flying directly into Sibiu from Germany, it will save you a lot of hassle.
  10. Maineroot

Maineroot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yeah, Johnny would say Honda SUX too. Only a DR350 So-Sucky, I mean Suzuki would make the cut in his book!

God love you Johnny!!!!!
  11. Maineroot

Oddometer:
    Chilly- Thanks for the info. We have a couple months to make the final decisions on flights. I'm probably not going to get on a Freeride 250, as I am 6'2" and 200#. I think It will be a bit small for me. So the choice is a 250 or 300 EXC from the outfitter. It will depend on what I can get around here to purchase for a training bike, as I am currently racing on a 200XC.
    The Euro EXC's are the same as the XC-W's here in the USA right?
  12. Johnnymoto

Johnnymoto Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Its A GayZuki to be clear here...

You see my Honda Rally bike? It's cool. Tim says Rad.

But shit man you guys are skipping the Alcan and the Mex1k to ride freakin KTM pit bikes? And flying 5000 miles to do it? Really? If this wasn't in Romania and didn't look like so much fun I'd be concerned. But I respect this effort. Normally when a guy says "I rode XXXXbike for YYYYYdays from here to there my internal reaction is basically, "many folks have gone much further for less" but flying 5000 miles to ride a KTM minibike with a bunch of polish guys.... You did it! I don't know anyone who has gone further for less!

Seriously I am STOKED for you guys, this will be a blast. I think the pals you'll make and the folks that will extend hospitality will just be off the charts.
  13. kjettro

kjettro Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi guys

No: 36 expert finisher here....

You guys need to visit Brandon Allen on his blog, he has a lot of info...
    http://desflurane.wordpress.com/

Supernice guy... say hi from Kjettro-----
  14. B1KSOLO

B1KSOLO Living the Dream

Oddometer:
    Hey Johnny we should talk, I'm sign up for the Alcan 5000 also and I grew up on the South side of chi-town (sorry for momentarily hijacking the thread)
  15. Maineroot

Oddometer:
    Hey guys- we have a 4 man team from Texas headed over to compete in the 2014 Red Bull Romaniacs. It's been a tough 6 months of training leading up to it- but I think we are ready. Here is a link to our blog-

http://romaniacs2014.tumblr.com/

Wish us luck!!
  16. Ruffus

Ruffus Dirty Old Mudder

Oddometer:
    Best of luck. For a while now I've thinking of coinciding a visit to Croatia to visit relatives with a side trip to watch the RBR. Hopefully next year I'll make it happen.
    Ride safe.
  17. Jjodokh

Jjodokh Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Julian Heer from Canada Riding expert on a used KTM 450 EXC, the bike is exact same as a XC-W. Just got the forks rebuilt and cooling fan installed see if this houred out pig will make it...
  18. steved57

steved57 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    It will be here before you know it. Good luck and we will be rooting for you guys and have a great time

19. Maineroot

Oddometer:
    Nice! We will see you in a short while. Can't wait to ride in some cool weather. Practice in 100 degree heat and humidity is kicking our butts. With an accurate weigh in- I lost 10 pounds in one ride.

20. Jjodokh

Jjodokh Adventurer

Oddometer:
    oh dear... well in between college a long winter and selling my bike in Canada, plus western Europe being extremely expensive to ride I am out of shape and lacking my usual confidence... I'm screwed, but should be a good time anywho!

P.S Romania I'm told is sub mediterrain so she still can cook.