Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-17-2013, 10:17 AM   #1936
lexscholar
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by epix1718 View Post
Will a 1985 BW200 Non-Electricstart CDI work on a 1987 BW200 Electric Start?
I think I have a non electric start CDI on one of my electric start bikes (fully inherited from previous owner). It works, but I don't have a battery on the bike, so I don't know what else is disabled or might ruined if I put one on it. Bike kick starts and runs fine as is. I know the key does not shut off the bike. The wiring has been spliced and it seems like one or two wires are either unused or spliced together. I think I have a diagram at the house I'll look up.
lexscholar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 10:58 PM   #1937
MrParty
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
Mr Bigwheel. Was reading some old posts, and
was wondering how that Duro 24x11x10 HF243 tire worked for you? I was thinking about shamelessly copying your tire choice in a 22x11x9 for my BW 200. Then using "Grip Studs" to stud the tire. Last Sundays ride was almost unmanageable with all the ice.

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/...-Sand-ATV-Tire

How was the Carlisle front tire??

Thanks!
MrParty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 11:36 PM   #1938
Mr. BigWheel OP
b00b

Oddometer: 724
The Duro worked pretty well. It is a 4 ply and I hope that means that it is a little more robust than the two ply that failed me in one ride earlier in the year. My intensive studies into the mysteries of tire manufacturing tell me that the number of plies is not scientifically derived, but is a subjective number determined by the manufacturer.

So far, I'm happy with the Duro. It is studded up and performs well in the snow. However,one day last year, Cliff cruised up and down a snowy hill while I struggled with the Duro. Was it rider skill? Luck? Or can I just blame it on the tire? I'm going to blame the tire until someone proves otherwise. Cliff is never that lucky.

The Carlisle seems like a good tire as well.I used the XL because it has a taller lug that can accept a stud more readily. I've only used it in the snow up to this point though.
Old 12-20-2013, 08:59 AM   #1939
MrParty
Adventurer

Thanks for the reply. After you mentioned the Ply rating I double checked the smaller Duro.
I assumed it was 4, but turns out the smaller tire, 22x11x9 is a 2 ply rating. Hmmmmmm.
I don't do the same type of riding you guys do, but lots of bush/sticks /rocks in my local riding area. ( All bushed trails). Based on my luck, I wonder if I should try a more heavy duty tire?

Ever try the STI Black Diamond ATR or know someone who has? It's one of the few tires I can find in a 22x11x9 that looks rounded and not as square as the others. ( sort of...)
It says its 6 ply and a Radial. It seems like a heavy tire thou.
Old 12-21-2013, 05:56 AM   #1940
BWSwamper
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 163
Sti atr

BWSwamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 09:31 AM   #1941
MrParty
Adventurer

BWSwamper. It looks pretty square next to the original. Is that the reason you guys all move to a modified larger rim? Because you get a "rounder" tire? How does it ride? I don't know what to try.....
Old 12-21-2013, 02:31 PM   #1942
Mr. BigWheel OP
b00b

Oddometer: 724
BWSwamper gets all of the cool stuff. I was infatuated with the Black Diamond tires until I noticed the listed weight. They are heavy. They look awesome though. I don't think that the square profile is that much of an issue unless you routinely lay the bike over on its side in the turns. When I have a square profile tire on studs, the only problem is that the tire signs off pretty suddenly when you are sliding through a turn and you lean over a few more degrees.

I think that everyone who goes to a larger rim is just looking for a better tire selection than is offered on the unpopular 9" stock size.
Old 12-21-2013, 02:32 PM   #1943
Mr. Magoo
Follow me; I'm lost!

Oddometer: 4,949
My brakes are sorted out and a few other things tweaked. This bike's a lot of fun!
Mr. Magoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 03:01 PM   #1944
greg24
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
black diamond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. BigWheel View Post
BWSwamper gets all of the cool stuff. I was infatuated with the Black Diamond tires until I noticed the listed weight. They are heavy. They look awesome though. I don't think that the square profile is that much of an issue unless you routinely lay the bike over on its side in the turns. When I have a square profile tire on studs, the only problem is that the tire signs off pretty suddenly when you are sliding through a turn and you lean over a few more degrees.

I think that everyone who goes to a larger rim is just looking for a better tire selection than is offered on the unpopular 9" stock size.
I put a set on one of my BWs and they work great
Old 12-21-2013, 10:46 PM   #1945
MrParty
Adventurer

Sounds good. I'll give the Black Diamonds a try.
Old 12-21-2013, 11:14 PM   #1946
Cliff h
[IMG]http://i219.pho

Oddometer: 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWSwamper View Post
I was overcome by optimism and ordered one of the JT VF500 sprockets. When it arrives I will post a comparison report.
Anxiously awaiting a report. My sprocket adapters came in. I would like to be able to replace all my sprockets and for the heck of it, I may buy 2 new chains as well. Does your VF 500 sprocket work?

Sawyer,

Do you have any pics or more information to share about your Blaster rear taillight project? I am in need of a non-existent stock replacement taillight.

Gracias,
Cliff.
Cliff h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 02:22 PM   #1947
polarice
Former Ice Pirate

Oddometer: 198
Did I mention how nasty dirty this thing is? I lugged most of it over to a DIY car wash and the caked on oil/sand just "laughed" at the pressure wand.

So... I'm stuck chipping away at it. So far a non-toxic oven cleaner has been my best friend, that and some $1 dollar store pot scrubbers.

Check this out after I cut the chain off and took the front sprocket cover off, I'm surprised the gear even moved with all this muck in here.

I got the rear rim off and separated the "halfs" only to find quite a bit of water and rust. Going to need to sandblast these I think.

I'll keep chipping away until I have something better to post. Wish me luck.
polarice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 03:51 PM   #1948
chuggins143
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 129
I've always found that a bit of heat will solve most of those baked on issues... typically when I have some cruddy sheet metal parts (think VW bug tins) I'll just pour some gas on them and fire them up. Doesn't get them hot enough to hurt them, but will get them hot enough to cook off any grease or oil that's caked on. Will typically flake right off when cooled. Obviously, this will kill any paint on the part, but if you're going to repaint anyway then it's not an issue. Maybe a propane torch would do the trick. Just a thought...

C
09 KLR 650, blue... Done the Doo!, Thermo-bobed!, LED driving lights, aux fuse box, HID high beam, gel battery, custom racks, tool tube, de-Californicated it, moved main fuses to side cover, relocated plate, PVC mod, Hurricane mod, bypassed the side stand switch...

RIP - 95 Honda VFR750 (the most vulgar shade of yellow I could find in the book!)
chuggins143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 08:11 AM   #1949
Röhrich
big wheel freak

Oddometer: 134
Someone selling some BW80 parts?
Röhrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 02:16 PM   #1950
Röhrich
big wheel freak

Oddometer: 134
SSSSHHHHHH................TTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!

I just found a Bw350 with Netherlands Road license for 250€. I mailed the guy and he tels me that some American already bought it. Whyyyyyy!!!!!!!

Why always me?
Röhrich is offline   Reply With Quote