Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Battle scooters
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-03-2013, 06:05 PM   #91
klx250sfguy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 396
I like the BMW scoots. I tested the C600 a few months ago and liked it a lot.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...highlight=c600
klx250sfguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 06:08 PM   #92
GREY.HOUND OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 265
As a sport tourer, that is exactly what I think of many of the maxi's. Obviously more tour than sport, but depending on your wants and needs. I would think the c600 sport would be even more in the ST class.
Old 09-03-2013, 07:07 PM   #93
klx250sfguy
Gnarly Adventurer

I tell ya, the one I tested was super comfortable. It was a cold drizzly day when I took one out so the heated seat and heated grips were very much appreciated. I got it up to 160 km/hour at one point no problem. If I had one, I could tour with my buddy, who has a C14 / Connie, and give him a run for his money. The only regret - I didn't adjust the windshield before heading out. The scoot I was riding wasn't equipped with a power adjustable windshield (like the 650) but it had a manual adjustment. Too low meant wind buffeting on my helmet, otherwise it was perfect. I've never ridden any other maxi scoot so I got nothing to compare to. I've ridden a few GoldWings and liked them a lot but at low speeds, in parking lots, driveways, garages I'm sure I'd drop one eventually. The BMW's are awesome.
Old 09-06-2013, 12:15 PM   #94
Birohead
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Perfect majesty!

I have been using a Yamaha Majesty for all my round town journeys rather than sitting in the car going nowhere and getting annoyed. The Yamaha is brilliant as a replacement for the car but no substitute for a big sports tourer like my 1100RS. Great fun and very easy on the fuel. Everyone says what a good idea but no followers yet - car drivers or bikes - but they are still moaning about the traffic. Wise up
Birohead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 10:41 PM   #95
BerndM
Shiftless One

Oddometer: 1,525
Quote:
Originally Posted by klx250sfguy View Post
I like the BMW scoots. I tested the C600 a few months ago and liked it a lot.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...highlight=c600
BECAUSE I test rode the Beemer Scooters, I ended up buying a 2012 Suzuki Burgman 650 Executive.

2013 Honda NC700X-DCT (Red of course )
BerndM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 05:59 AM   #96
klx250sfguy
Gnarly Adventurer

That's good to know. The moral of the story: test ride before you buy.
Old 09-12-2013, 07:57 PM   #97
Rugby4life
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 675
Quote:
Originally Posted by klx250sfguy View Post
That's good to know. The moral of the story: test ride before you buy.
I did a 2000 mile test drive this past weekend, but I seemed to have gotten things backwards. I bought my C650GT 10 months ago. Oops
Old 12-22-2013, 09:11 AM   #98
GREY.HOUND OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 265
Another comparison by MCN Magazine. They compare the Burgman650, BMW650GT, and the Kymco Myroad. This is a link to another scooter forum where a guy scanned the print version of the magazine. You just have to click on each page to enlarge them. At the end they do some detailed specs comparison of each, including ergonomic measurements, 0-60 speeds, 1/4mile speeds and breaking distance. Pretty sweet actually.

http://maxi-scoots.com/scoot/index.php?topic=5947.0
Old 12-22-2013, 11:52 AM   #99
Dranrab Luap
E-Tarded

Oddometer: 29,807
Quote:
Originally Posted by GREY.HOUND View Post
Another comparison by MCN Magazine. They compare the Burgman650, BMW650GT, and the Kymco Myroad. This is a link to another scooter forum where a guy scanned the print version of the magazine. You just have to click on each page to enlarge them. At the end they do some detailed specs comparison of each, including ergonomic measurements, 0-60 speeds, 1/4mile speeds and breaking distance. Pretty sweet actually.

That was a very well worthwhile read. It puts to shame the effort Rider magazine gave the topic a few months ago. I only wish they had done some comparison between the Burgman in the various transmission modes and published the details.
Dranrab Luap is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 10:55 AM   #100
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,370
Excellent article. Thanks for posting the link. I'd love to see a similar comparison on some midsize scooters like the DT 300, GT300, Forza and maybe Burgman 400.

klaviator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 09:22 PM   #101
Phipsd
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 365
If I was thinking of another big cruiser for travel; I would buy a maxi scoot instead. I have a mid-size Citycom 300i now and I find it is a better cruiser than any of the big Cruisers I've had. It's just as relaxing to ride, handles vastly better and is way more fun.

A maxi-scoot of the MyRoad, Burgman 650 class would have the effortless big inch long distance capability without the excessive weight, bulk and clumsy handling of my Bagger. After 45 years of riding I have come to the conclusion that compared to the ease, storage and weather protection of a good scooter; cruisers are stupid.
Phipsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 02:58 PM   #102
Globs
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phipsd View Post
If I was thinking of another big cruiser for travel; I would buy a maxi scoot instead. I have a mid-size Citycom 300i now and I find it is a better cruiser than any of the big Cruisers I've had. It's just as relaxing to ride, handles vastly better and is way more fun.
What bikes do you count as 'cruisers'? Big tourers, custom type bikes, goldwings or ZZR1100 types?
Globs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 09:33 PM   #103
knucklehead90
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 176
What an interesting conversation. I've read about guys who think anything over a 250 is overkill - to that I say come ride in my area where there are few flat roads. That 200-250cc scooter will fall behind my 650 fast even if I'm just maintaining legal speeds. Hitting a hairpin turn going up a 6-7% grade will slow you down - HP is whats needed to get back up to speed. Even the 400 Majesty slows on some of these tight turns and hills around here. There is lots of great riding too. And mountains! Real mountains! I'm just waiting for the weather to turn - should do that in about 2 months!

As for handling around town - I agree - the 650 isn't light on its wheels but it handles much better in town than the Harley I sold when I bought the 650. An FLHTCUI - full dress 2001 vintage. I seldom rode the Harley unless I was heading out of town - like in way out of town. I sold it for health reasons like many of you have. A 17' fall onto concrete will screw with your back!

The Burgman gets used for anything from a short trip to the hardware store to riding to the golf course 10 minutes from home - and for errands to the next town - 20 miles away at 65mph. Since I'm retired I don't commute - the Burgman is my choice of vehicles in good weather. And its the choice for the occasional out of town heading over the pass to visit relatives in and around Seattle and I5. Its road manners are great. And I don't find it all that difficult to handle at slow speeds but then I've never rode a 150-200cc scooter so I'm ignorant on that part. The smallest motorcycle I've ever owned was an 80cc Yamaha back in 1965. From there I went to a CB350 Honda - then to 650 Triumphs and Harleys.

If anything this thread has proven that there is no scooter that will 'fill the bill' for everyone or for every riding condition. My riding conditions are similar to some but mostly different than what I've read here. We get gusty winds quite often - common in high desert areas. Once I get out of town its 60-70mph - and the locals around here have little patience with slower vehicles. There are too many slow farm tractors and combines going from place to place and they don't go fast. A scooter is a target for these folks. Something they can run over - tractors are simply too big to tackle. Scooters are easy! And some seem to think - fair game!

I'm not going to try to defend my use of the 650 for most all of my riding. It needs no defense IMO other than I own it and thats that! It is my choice - just like yours is your choice. What I don't understand is the guys n gals that take an underpowered scooter on roads where they can't maintain the pace of traffic. It puts you and others in danger. You know who you are. I have respect for those who ride 50cc scooters and know the limitations of the scooter and ride within those limitations. I have little respect for those who don't or won't accept the limitations of their ride.

I seldom ride the Majesty. I prefer the smoothness of the Burgman motor and transmission. The Majesty is a great ride in its own right - I simply prefer something a bit larger - and of course is much faster. I find the new BMW scooters interesting. If I were in the market for a new scooter I'd take a look at them - might even buy one. But since my 650 has only 7800 miles on the clock it isn't time for a new scooter.

To each of you posting - thanks for the read!
1971 Karmann Ghia
2013 VW Jetta TDi Premium
knucklehead90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 04:01 AM   #104
9secondsflat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 244
very good article, probably one of the better if not the best comparisons of maxi scooters in a long time.
9secondsflat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 10:00 AM   #105
gec343
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 790
Quote:
Originally Posted by GREY.HOUND View Post

Excellent article. I'm still waiting for the Silverwing replacement, but if that doesn't happen, then a new 2014 Burgman 650 it will be!

2010 Gold Wing/ABS
1977 R100/7 (bought new)
gec343 is offline   Reply With Quote