Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-16-2013, 02:58 AM   #31
greer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,657
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmaximusv View Post
Is the outside wrap secured? I get the wrap over the inbound part, but how do you secure the outboard end of the rope?
I wonder, too??

That ledge created by the rope running length-wise is the ticket. Way back in the day there was a thick rubber grip with just a bit of ledge built in for the palm to rest on. Very nice.

Sarah
Old 03-17-2013, 09:34 AM   #32
dennism
dennism

Oddometer: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmaximusv View Post
Is the outside wrap secured? I get the wrap over the inbound part, but how do you secure the outboard end of the rope?
Try animated knots.com for a Turk's Head knot or look up "Turk's Head Knot" on Google.

You can use one to cover/hide both the beginning and ending of your whipping. The turk's head will take up some grip space, but it can be done quite narrow, and will cover the raw ends. Make sure to pull it tight as you can.

When it's all done, sneak a drop or two of super glue on the ends of the turk's head cords to keep them from unraveling.

Job done, sit back and feel good..... Dennis.
dennism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 10:18 AM   #33
Mambo Dave OP
Backyard Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,985
I think a Turk's Head knot would be too big with the rope I'm using.

What I did was this:

On the last wrap, I hold the other wraps tight while I make the last wrap loose.

Then I just stick the end through.

I just re-wrapped the end-wraps of the throttle side (for this picture, today) after a year since it was minor-ly loose, but over the long-term this single knot system seems to hold for a very long time. Is it permanent? No, I guess not. Does it ever slip that I'd notice it? No. They stay tight for some reason.

Here is that throttle re-wrapped and tied. I ended up being able to stretch out a little extra here, so I'll cut some off (not all of it off - this isn't the kind of knot that one wouldn't want a little tab of rope to hold itself in place), then light it afire again (using a BBQ lighter), then scrunch/smash the melted end together (with leather-gloved fingers) to keep it from fraying.

View from underneath:

Really bad image of the left side grip facing downward:

their motorcycles
." --
RyanR
Mambo Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 08:10 PM   #34
HapHazard
t00 0ld 2b n00b

Oddometer: 2,186
Thanks for the explanation and pics, Dave. I was worried about having to tie knots. When I try to go beyond the basic "shoe-tie" knot things get shaky.
HapHazard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 08:16 PM   #35
Mambo Dave OP
Backyard Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,985
No problem, Hap.

For this last time I brought out a pair of pliers for that final pull on the rope-end to get it all tight. I also work my free-hand over the last coil or two to twist it in the direction of the end to make it all tight.
their motorcycles
." --
RyanR
Mambo Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 04:11 AM   #36
greer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,657
Yes, thank you for the explainin' and pics.

Sarah
Old 08-01-2013, 04:03 PM   #37
preppypyro
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 557
After going around and looking for some oversized type grips today and not finding a damn thing, I did this mod. Super easy to do, I used a bit smaller of a rope, and it worked awesome. I didnt like the rope look, so I bought some cheap badminton racket tape, covered the rope up, and it looks better. Most importantly they feel awesome.

Great idea, and a must for anyone with large hands that is a cheap ass like me!
preppypyro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 04:17 PM   #38
joexr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,773
The thickest 7/8'' grips I've found are the Galindo Superbike grips. I'm 6'5'' and I hate thin grips.
joexr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 04:55 PM   #39
preppypyro
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by joexr View Post
The thickest 7/8'' grips I've found are the Galindo Superbike grips. I'm 6'5'' and I hate thin grips.
Man I was in the same boat. Im not super tall (6'2) but I have huge hands, and the thin grips would bother my hands quicker then should be.

Its super easy to do, do yourself a favour and give it a shot!
Old 08-01-2013, 06:33 PM   #40
HapHazard
t00 0ld 2b n00b

Oddometer: 2,186
Quote:
Originally Posted by joexr View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by preppypyro View Post
Man I was in the same boat. Im not super tall (6'2) but I have huge hands, and the thin grips would bother my hands quicker then should be.

Its super easy to do, do yourself a favour and give it a shot!
OK, guys - what about gloves with enough finger length?
I have a hell of a time finding gloves that fit my long, skinny fingers.
Olympias seem to run a bit long, so that's what I have, but they don't "fit like a glove".
HapHazard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 06:40 PM   #41
joexr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,773
I had a nice pair of Olympia's that fit well. I've got some Tourmasters that fit good , but the thumbs are a little short. I have a pair of Icons that are my favorites for the last several years.
joexr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 07:28 PM   #42
preppypyro
Studly Adventurer

I havent found a good glove solution yet. Right now I use mechanic's type gloves for riding, cause they are kinda stretchy.

I have a pair of snowmobile gloves that fit my hands well that I use when its cold, but for when its warm, every pair of xl-xxxl gloves that I have tried on locally dont fit good.
Old 12-25-2013, 08:05 AM   #43
Ivyleague
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 169
not the bitter end

an old thread about knots gave me a new twist and helped unravel my carpal tunnel problem without any loose ends.
My DR handgrips no longer cramp my style. Black paracord and baseball bat tape wrapped up on Christmas eve.= Nirvana
Ivyleague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 11:01 PM   #44
Ironwood
Friday Harbor, WA

Oddometer: 722
Look up Marlinspike seamanship. My father was really good at it. Was aboard the West Virginia at Pearl on 12/7/1941.

I still have some of his creations. I learned early to splice and tie knots. Very useful skills. Joe
Old 07-02-2014, 03:10 PM   #45
Tmaximusv
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 680
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mambo Dave View Post
On the last wrap, I hold the other wraps tight while I make the last wrap loose.

Then I just stick the end through.

I just re-wrapped the end-wraps of the throttle side (for this picture, today) after a year since it was minor-ly loose, but over the long-term this single knot system seems to hold for a very long time. Is it permanent? No, I guess not. Does it ever slip that I'd notice it? No. They stay tight for some reason.

Here is that throttle re-wrapped and tied. I ended up being able to stretch out a little extra here, so I'll cut some off (not all of it off - this isn't the kind of knot that one wouldn't want a little tab of rope to hold itself in place), then light it afire again (using a BBQ lighter), then scrunch/smash the melted end together (with leather-gloved fingers) to keep it from fraying.

View from underneath:

Really bad image of the left side grip facing downward:

Just got done wrapping both sides of my GS with 550 paracord as shown in the pics. I've been looking for this thread for a couple of weeks.

The cord is white/blue check, perfect match to the bike. I had grip buddies on both sides for a year or so, but the neoprene degraded and split a lot. For $8.99 I've got enough to do each grip 4 times.. I guess I'm a KLR rider at heart.