Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Battle scooters
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-17-2013, 08:30 PM   #46
DaBinChe OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 831
The DIO110 in Japan is actually a lower model then the LEAD110. It does have larger wheels 14" I think.

Most FI bikes don't have kick starters. I think because the fuel pump needs more then just a second of power to work properly at startup.

Japan has a new LEAD125, not sure what other markets it will be in. But I think a 125 won't be as wanted as a 150 in the USA. PCX is a good example, in other countries with tiered licensing then the 125 makes sense cause that is the cut off limit before the next tier. In some countries 110cc is the cut off limit before the next tier.

How Honda is doing things now with world market bikes it seems like the end of market specific bikes will come to an end in the near future. To satisfy varying markets they will have slightly varying versions of the same bike, again the PCX125/150 is a perfect example of a world market bike in varying forms for various markets. The NC700 series is another example.
DaBinChe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 07:06 AM   #47
GizmoGal
n00b

Oddometer: 7
My first post here as a new inmate. I read your threads on urbanscootin and glad to be with you here, too. I wanted to follow this thread as I love my Elite and like to learn about it and maintain it well. I've got 3200+ miles on it in 3 years, bought new, and it runs perfectly.

I do not ride other than on city streets with maniac NY drivers, but the Elite scooter is fun, nimble and efficient.

GizmoGal screwed with this post 12-23-2013 at 05:21 PM
GizmoGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 01:19 PM   #48
scootrboi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,306
Quote:
Originally Posted by GizmoGal View Post
My first post here as an new inmate. I wanted to follow this thread as I love my Elite and like to learn about it and maintain it well.
I enjoyed the videos. First Honda advertising I have noticed since the first Elite scooter came out. I still have the 1984 model, and it still runs, except on cold days.
Old 12-23-2013, 04:45 PM   #49
RedArrow
If only the moon

Oddometer: 1,556
Hey ~

Enjoyed reading this thread about your new toy. Very informative and full of great info for anyone considering buying one of these new Hondas.

I noticed on the third video of the schematic of the engine that it appeared as if the cooling fan was mechanical rather than electric. Could this be right? I'm amazed that anyone would use a mechanical fan on a bike these days.

Great post, though. Keep 'er coming....
Old 12-23-2013, 06:28 PM   #50
DaBinChe OP
Studly Adventurer

I wouldn't call it a new toy, had if for over three years now.

All the side mounted fans are mounted directly on the crank so yes it is mechanical. Some are air cooled and some are water cooled like the elite110
Old 12-23-2013, 07:41 PM   #51
gitsum79
Adventurer

Oddometer: 89
I had an Elite 110. Stainless steel exhaust and sport windshield from Webike Japan, snorkel removed from airbox, lighter Dr. Pulley sliders, YSS adjustable shock, shaved the variator boss, wider tires (same diameter), basket with a passenger backrest, turn signals integrated, and stebel air horn.

Top speed 57 mph and 100 mpg. It was an awesome scooter with huge underseat storage.

There were a few things I didn't like. Low ground clearance and limited suspension travel, very nice on smooth pavement but a jarring ride on bumps and uneven surfaces with poor handling on dirt and gravel. The seat was pretty uncomfortable on longer rides even after adding a layer of padding. At the time I wanted something with a bit more top speed so I bought an HD200 EVO.

Nonetheless, it had awesome storage and acceleration was very strong up to 45-50 mph and it held speed decently on hills, even riding two-up.

Old 12-23-2013, 08:40 PM   #52
DaBinChe OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitsum79 View Post

Top speed 57 mph and 100 mpg. It was an awesome scooter with huge underseat storage.

Nonetheless, it had awesome storage and acceleration was very strong up to 45-50 mph and it held speed decently on hills, even riding two-up.
Yeah I'm surprise at how strong it is. When I go over hwy17 from silicon valley to Santa Cruz it rarely (only if it is cold) drops below 45mph.

Mine is still 100% stock minus the different size tires, so I'm basically stuck at about 50mph. Only real down side is not finding OE size front tire. But I have gotten over that with the 100/90-12 Dunlop TT93.
Old 12-24-2013, 10:54 AM   #53
gitsum79
Adventurer

Oddometer: 89
Here's an old thread I started a few years ago about variator tuning on the Elite 110. You can gain a couple of miles per hour top end just by switching to 15 gram slider weights.

http://c3riders.freeforums.org/just-...tml?mobile=off
Old 12-24-2013, 11:42 AM   #54
DaBinChe OP
Studly Adventurer

interesting about the slider weights. The OEM roller weights last soo long that I didn't want to give'em up. Got over 23k miles and still the original rollers are doing fine with no flat spots. I never seen any rollers go even half that without flat spots.

Kitaco a year or two ago made a up gear for the final drive and also a variator. I just found out about it a few months ago. Think they stop producing them so I missed out on that.
Old 12-28-2013, 03:49 PM   #55
fast1075
Fasterizer

Oddometer: 113
Rear tire

I put a Bridgestone ML-16 in size 4.00 / 10 on the rear of my scooter. I clears the swingarm just enough to work. Picked up about 3 MPH. It will run a clean 55 MPH without hitting the rev limiter. It is tight getting it in, but it fits fine and rides better than the stock tire.

I am at 3K miles on mine. It has used a couple of ounces of oil since the last change. This oil change, I will be going to Amsoil, which I use in my other bikes.

I get easily 98-102 MPG from mine. It is my go-to urban transport for shopping and errand running. It has enough storage along with a top case for all my grocery shopping needs.

One of the great things about a scooter is you can usually find a place to park so you don't have to walk a half mile to get in a store.
fast1075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 04:13 PM   #56
DaBinChe OP
Studly Adventurer

Good to know the 4.00/10 fits. How much clearance do you have at the side of the swing arm and at the top of the crown and motor case? I had always wanted to try one but thought it was too larger around
Old 01-18-2014, 09:34 AM   #57
Inoplanetyanin
One day closer!

Oddometer: 96
Just installed new rear tire Pirelli SL26 (30$ on amazon).

Quite sturdy tire. The original IRC lasted 8300 miles and wasn't completely bold yet. Had a little bit of tread pattern visible. I suffered a flat being 200 miles away from home in the desert, but was able to repair it with a plug in 20 min. :)

I think this tire will last 10000 miles.
Next will change oil and gear oil.

The Elite is capable of cross country riding with a passenger and some luggage.

Seen here is my Elite on a run from Winchester, TN to Los Angeles with a passenger.

Inoplanetyanin screwed with this post 01-19-2014 at 12:16 AM
Inoplanetyanin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 12:57 AM   #58
DaBinChe OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inoplanetyanin View Post
Just installed new rear tire Pirelli SL26 (30$ on amazon).

Quite sturdy tire. The original IRC lasted 8300 miles and wasn't completely bold yet. Had a little bit of tread pattern visible. I suffered a flat being 200 miles away from home in the desert, but was able to repair it with a plug in 20 min. :)

I think this tire will last 10000 miles.
I'm amazed at how many miles you got out of the rear tire, considering you went two up across the country...all that gear and two people weighting it down to my guess of the carrying capacity or more. I got to the wear indicator at 3500miles and bald by 4k miles on the stock rear tire just from commuting.

Good to see the comparison on how the elite110 does for two very different riding styles. Keep it up!
Old 01-20-2014, 09:43 AM   #59
Inoplanetyanin
One day closer!

Oddometer: 96
I think wear greatly depends on how often the scooter is accelerated. Going cross country at a steady speed, and doing most of my riding out in the desert and on long distances, reduces wear.

I heard you said you ride it WOT often and so that might explain the faster wear rate. I've put 10K on metro stock tire before replacing it, and installed the same SL26 pirelli on the rear wheel and put 8K more, and looked like it was only 50% worn. That's what made me conclude that the SL 26 is sturdy and long lasting tire, at least compared to Metro's IRC stock.

By the way, the stock Elite's rear tire is not bad indeed, even when bold, it still had a good 3-4 mm thickness left. I couldn't take it off the rim so I cut through it with wire cutters, and it took some swearing, sparks, and scratches on the rim. :) It's not a bad tire but I like Pirelly as it feels a whole lot thicker.

Also, as soon as I installed a new tire, my handlebar stopped wobbling when I take hands off the handle bar. Apparently it was caused by unevenly worn old stock rear tire.

I currently looking at getting into dual sport world. Im looking at Yamahas XT 250, TW 200s, and maybe Honda CRF230 L. Too bad CRF 250 is too tall for me, otherwise it looks like a nice bike.

Now that the XT250 comes with fuel injection, it's a middle of the road between air cooled carbureted and liquid cooled fuel injected. I am not decided on my idea preference yet. If the bike is new, I guess I wouldn't worry about reliability of liquid cooled components and electronics, but if buying used, it's good to have simplicity of an air cooled engine and lack of electronics with the carbs.

California has just so much more to offer than where even the Elite can take me :)))
Inoplanetyanin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 01:04 PM   #60
DaBinChe OP
Studly Adventurer

You and I are a good contrast in riding style and how much wear and tear results in the different styles. It is good to see how your elite does over time verses my elite. And judging by your milage you actually ride a hell of a lot more then me by about double for a given time. Hope you are gonna keep it instead of getting a DS. Most all fire road can be done on the scooter. If a fire truck or any vehicles can drive on a dirt road the elite can do it probably better because of maneuverability. Only dedicated 4x4 black diamond trails will be the elite's limitation. Having a little dirt biking background and ridden scooters off road I would say the Elite can do up to intermediate blue square level off road trails. With some knobbier tires the scoot will be even better on dirt. Beside DS can't hold much of anything.

Yes a worn tire can cause the front end to shake/wobble on lots of bikes. I think it is more apparent on smaller wheel bike or bikes with more twitchy geometry.

If you do go DS the TW is cool cause of the fat tires, makes going over soft stuff a lot easier. One day I'd like to also get a CRF. If you can swing it then keep the Elite and get a DS..cause commuting on a DS is a bear.