ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-30-2013, 11:50 AM   #1
jcloer1 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 315
OBCDR ride next summer

So...in celebration of my 40th birthday (July 2nd), I'm putting this out there to see who might be interested in joining me (or leading me ;)) on my first OBCDR run sometime next summer! I already have a vacation planned for late June, so it would likely need to be late July or after...

Please feel free to give any tips/suggestions/warnings...etc for which trip to make, what gear you might suggest above/beyond normal bits, blah blah blah. I would also love to see pics/ride reports for any that have done these! (yes, I'll be surfing the ride reports in the mean time) :)

I'm super excited to get out there! I'm expecting to take roughly 5 days. Not sure yet if that will be one of routes or a combination. Currently, I'm thinking about starting off in Sisters and heading to Seneca...maybe creating a loop from there. Totally open to suggestions though! The more folks the merrier! Even if you can only make one or a few days, it should be a hoot!

Looking forward to planning something again with you all! And meeting those of you who weren't along for the Barlow ride last May!

I'm hoping that with this much advanced notice, we can get a good ride planned with tons of fun folks!!!

OH! And in case she's able to come along...please also pass along any info that could help us decide if my wife would join us! If so, I'll likely be looking into a KLX250 dual sport for her to ride...
jcloer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 06:15 PM   #2
Apple Jam
Forest Flyer

Oddometer: 6,189
STARTING in Sisters????

Um...yer missing the BEST riding between here and Sisters

PM inbound.........
...then that land should be open for public use" (peterman)
Apple Jam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 12:09 AM   #3
One Fat Roach
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,418
I would like to join for at least some of the route. Maybe the beginning. July I'll be heading to Colorado to do the COBDR at the end of the month with 20-30 other KLR hooligans. Then south towards Mexico. Keep this thread updated for sure
One Fat Roach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 09:53 AM   #4
jcloer1 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassplayinroach View Post
I would like to join for at least some of the route. Maybe the beginning. July I'll be heading to Colorado to do the COBDR at the end of the month with 20-30 other KLR hooligans. Then south towards Mexico. Keep this thread updated for sure

Sounds like you're going to have an amazing summer! :) Where in Mexico are you riding to?

So far, the Cascade Discovery Route is on the table for this ride. If you aren't already familiar with it, there is a great ride report here:
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=918666
Old 12-07-2013, 11:39 PM   #5
Comrade Art
Working stiff

Oddometer: 501
Planning on riding the entire section of route 5 next summer with my cousin.
http://www.oohva.org/
You are welcome to join us.

"All human beings by nature desire to know" - Aristotle
Comrade Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 09:42 AM   #6
jcloer1 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade Art View Post
Planning on riding the entire section of route 5 next summer with my cousin.
http://www.oohva.org/
You are welcome to join us.

Thank you! I'll keep that as an option! Are you expecting roughly 100 miles per day?
Old 12-08-2013, 10:48 AM   #7
Rick
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 340
I'm interested in going also.

Was suppose to go this year but didn't have a proper bike for this type of ride. Now I do...
Old 12-09-2013, 11:39 PM   #8
Comrade Art
Working stiff

Oddometer: 501
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcloer1 View Post
Thank you! I'll keep that as an option! Are you expecting roughly 100 miles per day?
We were thinking about 150 miles per day.

"All human beings by nature desire to know" - Aristotle
Comrade Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 10:43 AM   #9
acesandeights
Asperger

Oddometer: 3,526
I might be up for it.

I'll die with this hammer in my hand.
acesandeights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 06:56 AM   #10
jcloer1 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Excellent!
Old 12-13-2013, 09:21 AM   #11
Rick
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple Jam View Post
STARTING in Sisters????

Um...yer missing the BEST riding between here and Sisters

PM inbound.........
Hey Apple Jam, would you mind sharing? I may end up doing this ride by myself but I'd rather skip pavement from PDX to Sisters if at all possible.
Old 12-13-2013, 09:56 AM   #12
Apple Jam
Forest Flyer

Oddometer: 6,189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick's KLR View Post
Hey Apple Jam, would you mind sharing? I may end up doing this ride by myself but I'd rather skip pavement from PDX to Sisters if at all possible.
Yes, I'll share!! I just need to get my act together and clean up and put together the tracks in a form that is reliable. It has only about 40 miles of pavement (mostly required by the 3 fuel stops), and somewhere around 350-400 miles of as much raw dirt old two-track as I could possibly find to get to Sisters. It really will take good & fast-ish riders three full days/nights; even those that do 180+ miles/day on something like the WABDR.
www.cascadediscoveryroute.com

You are welcome to PM me and hassle me about this later this early Spring if I don't have it fully set up by the time you desire. I will set you up. I will gladly give you and anyone the basic and reliable tracks, but fair warning.... I might also try to sell you an upgraded "planning package" that hopefully some may find very appealing. I'm just trying to find a way to get paid a tiny bit so I can afford to ride it more often, and discover more good stuff just like it
...then that land should be open for public use" (peterman)
Apple Jam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 08:28 PM   #13
jcloer1 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Dates?

Hey guys,

I was just looking over the calendar so I can start requesting my vacation days for the year and was thinking about doing this trip over Labor Day weekend. Maybe head out the morning of Wednesday, August 27th?
Old 01-02-2014, 09:45 PM   #14
Rick
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcloer1 View Post
Hey guys,

I was just looking over the calendar so I can start requesting my vacation days for the year and was thinking about doing this trip over Labor Day weekend. Maybe head out the morning of Wednesday, August 27th?
Works for me. There any plan yet? Apple Jam said he was going to put together some tracks heading down from Portland. Might be a good starting point to consider.
Old 01-03-2014, 08:43 AM   #15
jcloer1 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick's KLR View Post
Works for me. There any plan yet? Apple Jam said he was going to put together some tracks heading down from Portland. Might be a good starting point to consider.
No plan yet. For the Cascade Route, it primarily depends on when Apple Jam is available. I have limited weekends available for a long trip, so if the Cascade Route doesn't work out, I'll likely be looking at one of the other OBDR routes that I can do in 3 days or so. Or possibly tagging along with one of the other inmates who are offering it up as an alternative...

Not sure yet if my wife will be going. Not likely though. Either way...given the ride report AJ listed for his Cascade Route, I expect that I would be doing a one way trip on those tracks. I would then either ride home or have a rig waiting in Sisters to trailer the bike home.

I haven't seen the tracks you mentioned from AJ. I'm game for starting wherever he thinks is best. He rides a hell of a lot more often than I do! :) I'm hoping to get a lot of riding in before this trip so I don't slow folks down too much! I'm beginning to look at gear for the bike and am considering whether or not to leave my home made ammo can panniers behind on this trip in favor of some soft ones...