ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Sports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-24-2013, 04:57 PM   #16
bfd70
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: Chiraq
Oddometer: 723
Not college, but he had a good weekend


bfd70 screwed with this post 12-25-2013 at 07:54 AM
bfd70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 04:59 PM   #17
RhinoVonHawkrider OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
RhinoVonHawkrider's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: Eastern Pa
Oddometer: 1,293
Bfd great pic.

Merry Christmas
__________________
FREE Discount Prescriptions http://hta270hs.supremerxsavings.com/
AVO - R.I.P. - "When you don't have goals, you can't fail" - Neil Fallon
"He said, Son, remember where U came From" - LOA
Until the colour of a man's skin - Is of no more significance than the colour of his eyes -Me say war RNM
RhinoVonHawkrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 06:02 AM   #18
Stratlanta
Flabby Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: Marietta, GA
Oddometer: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by patmo View Post
Bit of a problem at Iowa, hey? Some great matches, though.


But I gotta say, I can't stand the Brand bros. I don't know what it is about them, they certainly had great careers as competitors, but I can't stand them on the sidelines. Seems all they do is bitch and complain.
Yeah, interesting to see what's going on there. Still a powerhouse obviously, but not the dominant force they were just a few years ago. My dad went to Iowa so I keep an eye on them and in the past few years it seems that they've kept that hard nosed style, but scoring points has been a real problem. It's been a long time since I've seen an Iowa wrestler finish a shot on a regular basis.
__________________
2012 BMW K1600 GTL
Stratlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 07:55 AM   #19
bfd70
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: Chiraq
Oddometer: 723
Question

Thanks. Don't know what happened to the pic.
bfd70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 08:17 AM   #20
rufus
We're burning daylight...
 
rufus's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2004
Location: Coweta Oklahoma
Oddometer: 3,997
Quote:
Originally Posted by RhinoVonHawkrider View Post
Halfway through watching the Bedlam Series (OU v. OSU) and Kindig beat Maple. Wow a very big upset.

Pa wrestlers are tough

Saw that. Maples was a ittle off. Not as focused as last year. That was his 2nd loss of the year. He was undefeated last year.

OU has a new coach this year. John Smith's brother in law. They beat OSU in the bedlam. If the OSU heavyweight hadn't made a dumb elementary mistake in the semis the cowboys would have beaten Penn STate at the NCAA s. This sport gets tougher and more competitive every year. More good coaches and more good wrestlers.
rufus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 08:22 AM   #21
rufus
We're burning daylight...
 
rufus's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2004
Location: Coweta Oklahoma
Oddometer: 3,997
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratlanta View Post
Yeah, interesting to see what's going on there. Still a powerhouse obviously, but not the dominant force they were just a few years ago. My dad went to Iowa so I keep an eye on them and in the past few years it seems that they've kept that hard nosed style, but scoring points has been a real problem. It's been a long time since I've seen an Iowa wrestler finish a shot on a regular basis.

They still wrestler with the Dab Gable style, push your opponent to the edge of the mat and try and score there. 1 or 2 moves and counters and then out of bounds. Good scramblers who look 5 or 6 moves down the road and stay in the center of the mat have the advantage. I hated to watch Dan Gables wrestlers. I even hated more the fact that it WAS ( no more) so successful.
rufus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 06:49 AM   #22
Stratlanta
Flabby Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: Marietta, GA
Oddometer: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by rufus View Post
They still wrestler with the Dab Gable style, push your opponent to the edge of the mat and try and score there. 1 or 2 moves and counters and then out of bounds. Good scramblers who look 5 or 6 moves down the road and stay in the center of the mat have the advantage. I hated to watch Dan Gables wrestlers. I even hated more the fact that it WAS ( no more) so successful.
Yeah I think that's a good point. It's good to see Minnesota having a good year - good coaching staff there.
__________________
2012 BMW K1600 GTL
Stratlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 07:04 AM   #23
RhinoVonHawkrider OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
RhinoVonHawkrider's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: Eastern Pa
Oddometer: 1,293
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratlanta View Post
Yeah I think that's a good point. It's good to see Minnesota having a good year - good coaching staff there.
Minnesota is getting a Lehigh Valley kid next year - Ethan Lizak from Parkland HS. He's a 2x state champ. It's good to see that Penn State isn't getting all the studs. No one team should dominate.
__________________
FREE Discount Prescriptions http://hta270hs.supremerxsavings.com/
AVO - R.I.P. - "When you don't have goals, you can't fail" - Neil Fallon
"He said, Son, remember where U came From" - LOA
Until the colour of a man's skin - Is of no more significance than the colour of his eyes -Me say war RNM
RhinoVonHawkrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 09:03 AM   #24
Stratlanta
Flabby Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: Marietta, GA
Oddometer: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by RhinoVonHawkrider View Post
Minnesota is getting a Lehigh Valley kid next year - Ethan Lizak from Parkland HS. He's a 2x state champ. It's good to see that Penn State isn't getting all the studs. No one team should dominate.
Is Parkland in the Allentown area? Sounds familiar but I can't remember. Been a long time now since I lived up there.
__________________
2012 BMW K1600 GTL
Stratlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 09:07 AM   #25
RhinoVonHawkrider OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
RhinoVonHawkrider's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: Eastern Pa
Oddometer: 1,293
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratlanta View Post
Is Parkland in the Allentown area? Sounds familiar but I can't remember. Been a long time now since I lived up there.
Correct & I believe the largest school district in Pa. School is just north of Allentown in Orefield.

They were ranked #2 in Pa until the Nazarenes beat them last week.
__________________
FREE Discount Prescriptions http://hta270hs.supremerxsavings.com/
AVO - R.I.P. - "When you don't have goals, you can't fail" - Neil Fallon
"He said, Son, remember where U came From" - LOA
Until the colour of a man's skin - Is of no more significance than the colour of his eyes -Me say war RNM
RhinoVonHawkrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 06:32 PM   #26
patmo
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2010
Location: butler, ky/Franklin, tn
Oddometer: 622
Watching the Midlands tournament on the BTN right now. Iowa has 7 wrestlers in the finals, and there is at least one Big 10 wrestler in the finals of every weight class...the Big 10 is stacked this year!
patmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 06:59 AM   #27
RhinoVonHawkrider OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
RhinoVonHawkrider's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: Eastern Pa
Oddometer: 1,293
Quote:
Originally Posted by patmo View Post
Watching the Midlands tournament on the BTN right now. Iowa has 7 wrestlers in the finals, and there is at least one Big 10 wrestler in the finals of every weight class...the Big 10 is stacked this year!
I DVRed it, watching now. Good to see Minotti win. I saw him wrestle in HS & now @ Lehigh. Walsh from Indiana, lost a contact lens, picked it off the mat & stuck it back in without cleaning it. Man wrestlers are tough, but maybe not too bright
__________________
FREE Discount Prescriptions http://hta270hs.supremerxsavings.com/
AVO - R.I.P. - "When you don't have goals, you can't fail" - Neil Fallon
"He said, Son, remember where U came From" - LOA
Until the colour of a man's skin - Is of no more significance than the colour of his eyes -Me say war RNM
RhinoVonHawkrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 09:56 AM   #28
Stratlanta
Flabby Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: Marietta, GA
Oddometer: 205
Yeah I'm about halfway through on DVR. Some really good matches so far.
__________________
2012 BMW K1600 GTL
Stratlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 05:53 PM   #29
patmo
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2010
Location: butler, ky/Franklin, tn
Oddometer: 622
Thought it was great that so many lower seeded or even unseeded wrestlers made it to the finals....but then again, Penn State and OSU weren't even there!

Now we get into some really great dual meets followed by some unreal conference tournaments and then the NCAA tourney.....

Not to mention some outstanding HS action along the way!

Gonna be a fun season.
patmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 06:01 PM   #30
RhinoVonHawkrider OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
RhinoVonHawkrider's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: Eastern Pa
Oddometer: 1,293
Quote:
Originally Posted by patmo View Post
Thought it was great that so many lower seeded or even unseeded wrestlers made it to the finals....but then again, Penn State and OSU weren't even there!

Now we get into some really great dual meets followed by some unreal conference tournaments and then the NCAA tourney.....

Not to mention some outstanding HS action along the way!

Gonna be a fun season.
Indeed. Was at local HS match yesterday, as the storm was starting. Big match next week which will determine who the Big Cheese is in Lehigh Valley - Nazareth @ Bethlehem Catholic. Then some Lehigh University home matches.
I might try and go to EIWAs at UPenn. I watching the Midlands again now
__________________
FREE Discount Prescriptions http://hta270hs.supremerxsavings.com/
AVO - R.I.P. - "When you don't have goals, you can't fail" - Neil Fallon
"He said, Son, remember where U came From" - LOA
Until the colour of a man's skin - Is of no more significance than the colour of his eyes -Me say war RNM
RhinoVonHawkrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 07:51 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014