Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-01-2014, 11:33 AM   #1
scooterbj OP
A Life of Riding!

Oddometer: 24
Big Ass Scooter - Rockin' The Rockies Tour 2014

Announcing the recruitment of selected riders for the
Big Ass Scooter - Rockin' The Rockies Tour 2014

Have you dreamed of riding some of the most incredible roads in the world? This might be your chance. Colorado is filled with spectacular scenery, challenging mountain roads, eclectic small towns, dizzying elevations, abundant wildlife and much more. We are recruiting 10 riders, but are you, and your scooter, up to this adventure?

There will be two 'Rider-Hosts'. Both are avid maxi-scooter riders, certified as MSF RiderCoachs, have extensive knowledge of touring and Colorado routes.
The 2014 tour will start, and end, near Denver. The majority of riding will be on twisty, two-lane mountain roads. Elevations will vary greatly, but average above 8000ft. Some highlights for 2014 are Lookout Mountain, Trail Ridge Road, Rocky Mountain National Park, Mt Evans summit (over 14K ft), Glenwood Springs Hot Springs, Silver Thread Hwy, Peak to Peak Hwy, and much more. Altogether approximately 1100 miles of incredible views and technical mountain roads.

This tour is not gender specific. Regardless of man, woman or trained chimp we are looking for riders that meet the tour prerequisites for ability, personality, etc. Attendance is by 'invitation-only'. 10 riders are selected from applicants (with a few on an alternate list in case of dropouts). To find out more and if you want to apply, go to
www.BigAssScooter.com
You can also check out details and photos from the 2013 tour.

For questions about the tour please visit the website as most answers are there. If you still have a question the website has a link for asking.

scooterbj screwed with this post 01-01-2014 at 12:01 PM
scooterbj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 10:35 AM   #2
Horizontal
Goatin' Around

Oddometer: 265
I don't have a big ass or a scooter, but it sounds like a blast.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.
~ Albert Einstein

1983 Honda XL250R 1971 Yamaha DT1E 250 Enduro
Horizontal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 10:43 AM   #3
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,119
How big does a scooter need to be to be considered "Big Ass"?

Or does that refer to the wide tail section on some Maxi Scooters?

Inquiring minds want to know.

klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 06:19 PM   #4
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,007
It says "maxi scooters only" and you would need one to ride in CO. Being so close by, I have ridden all over Colorado on motorcycles, and no small scooter is going to make it up the mountains.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 07:41 PM   #5
bandito2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by klaviator View Post
How big does a scooter need to be to be considered "Big Ass"?

Or does that refer to the wide tail section on some Maxi Scooters?

Inquiring minds want to know.
Click on the link in the OP post then click on the "Tour 2014 Info".
Need to have 300cc and up scoot and the nerve to dare taking such a ride.

Personally I'd just love to take a trip like that. But so far my mountain riding experience is limited so I don't think I'd qualify. Not that I'm unable to do a ride like that, just that I should probably learn some more about mountain riding first. (so I wouldn't end up being a danger to myself or others)

In the future? Heck yeah I would apply. Cannon Ball is another I'd go for too. I've done 860 miles in a day...twice (to AR and then back) and 700 miles going into NY in a day then 700 miles back the same way and other 600+ mile rides. So I can do endurance riding. (with no whining) But The Catskills of NY don't have quite the elevations like the Big Ass Scooter Tour. I'll get there....eventually. I'll be watching this space and do the ride vicariously.......... this time.

BTW, when does this Rockin' the Rockies tour take off? Serious Inquiring minds want to know.
bandito2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 07:55 PM   #6
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandito2 View Post
Click on the link in the OP post then click on the "Tour 2014 Info".
Need to have 300cc and up scoot and the nerve to dare taking such a ride.

Personally I'd just love to take a trip like that. But so far my mountain riding experience is limited so I don't think I'd qualify. Not that I'm unable to do a ride like that, just that I should probably learn some more about mountain riding first. (so I wouldn't end up being a danger to myself or others)

In the future? Heck yeah I would apply. Cannon Ball is another I'd go for too. I've done 860 miles in a day...twice (to AR and then back) and 700 miles going into NY in a day then 700 miles back the same way and other 600+ mile rides. So I can do endurance riding. (with no whining) But The Catskills of NY don't have quite the elevations like the Big Ass Scooter Tour. I'll get there....eventually. I'll be watching this space and do the ride vicariously.......... this time.

BTW, when does this Rockin' the Rockies tour take off? Serious Inquiring minds want to know.
I have ridden in the Rockies many times. Nothing particularly challenging about it. If you are comfortable riding curves, it's not a big deal. However, the altitude does rob bikes of some power. I had no problems keeping up with the bigger scooters at STO on my 250 but it might be more of a challenge at much higher altitude.

Anyway, it's not going to be an issue since my 250 doesn't qualify anyway.

Old 01-04-2014, 12:12 PM   #7
cdwise
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 641
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
It says "maxi scooters only" and you would need one to ride in CO. Being so close by, I have ridden all over Colorado on motorcycles, and no small scooter is going to make it up the mountains.
BS, we've ridden our Sports City 250, came engine used in all the Piaggio/Vespa 250s all over the Rockies. Lots of folks based in Denver ride Vespa GTS/GTV as well including to the top of Mt. Evans a mere 14,265 feet (4,348 meters). Most common scooter you see in Breckenridge, CO, elevation 9,600 is a 50cc. I've seen quite a few 125-150s on the roads between Breckenridge, Dillion, Silverthorne and Frisco as well as riding over to Kremlin and Steamboat. Okay you won't want to take one of the 150cc or lower on I-70 but the Sports City has gone between Breckenridge and Denver multiple times on it. There is a gentleman in Breckenridge who regularly picnics riding two up Boreass Pass on a Vespa ET 2 50cc - torque little beast and a CVT.

FWIW, our garage's elevation outside of Breckenridge is 10,600' so anywhere our scoots go it starts from there and either goes up or down.

Not saying it wouldn't be more comfortable on a maxi or that the Burgman we used to have couldn't leave the Sports City in the dust on some of the grades but the Sports City beat many a 4 banger car. klaviator, your SC would do just fine even it wouldn't maintain 70 on some of the grades. FWIW, the 2014 scooter cannonball route goes through both the Canadian and US Rockies and the MAX displacement is 250cc. I'll be riding our Sports City in it.

Bandito2, riding the Rockies doesn't require a lot of nerve unless you are planning on riding the dirt roads that go over some of the passes. Big assed scooters like the Burgman are not the best choice for those, speaking from experience since I've dropped a Burgman 400 going over Boreass Pass on gravel, my own fault.

cdwise screwed with this post 01-04-2014 at 12:18 PM
cdwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 01:40 PM   #8
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

I wouldn't hesitate riding my Sport City in the Rockies. The only place I would be concerned with keeping up with bigger scooters are up some of the hills. In the twisty sections I'd be more concerned with them holding me up

Of course, a lot would depend on the riders. I found that many, if not most of the riders at STO rode fairly sedately. I went out with the fast group (mostly burgman 400s & 650s) on a long ride and still ended up riding near the front of the pack. The Sport City does handle really well on a tight twisty road.

Old 01-04-2014, 06:34 PM   #9
cdwise
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by klaviator View Post
IOf course, a lot would depend on the riders. I found that many, if not most of the riders at STO rode fairly sedately. I went out with the fast group (mostly burgman 400s & 650s) on a long ride and still ended up riding near the front of the pack. The Sport City does handle really well on a tight twisty road.
It does indeed which is why it is the one in our stable I'm taking on the cannonball.
Old 01-05-2014, 10:59 AM   #10
bandito2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdwise View Post
Bandito2, riding the Rockies doesn't require a lot of nerve unless you are planning on riding the dirt roads that go over some of the passes. Big assed scooters like the Burgman are not the best choice for those, speaking from experience since I've dropped a Burgman 400 going over Boreass Pass on gravel, my own fault.
Having the nerve statement was meant a bit tongue in cheek. Maybe I should have added "with these guys" after seeing how it is promoted on the website. All huff and bluster tough guy posing....which I am pretty sure was meant in a lighthearted way really. .... sort of. If not, them I'm just frickin clueless about what people really mean.

I've ridden my Honda 250 Reflex while pulling my loaded single wheel trailer up some long and pretty steep inclines in NY and during some of my MO, AR. trips. which was not too bad as long as I was unhindered in keeping the momentum going. Almost always able to stay above 50mph unless somebody slowed down in front of me. Then I would not be able gain much speed again until nearing and going over the crest of the rise. No such problem with my Honda FSC600A Silverwing scooter since it has the automatic altitude compensating aspect of fuel injection and more HP.

My Reflex is normally aspirated with a carb and has not seen much riding around 5 or 6K ft in altitude. It was weaker there and without making adjustments, it would just not have much guts above 8K ft. altitude in my estimation. Having F.I. is the way to go...... meh, maybe mountain riding is not as bad as some try to make it sound after all.
bandito2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 11:38 AM   #11
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,007
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdwise View Post
BS, we've ridden our Sports City 250, came engine used in all the Piaggio/Vespa 250s all over the Rockies. Lots of folks based in Denver ride Vespa GTS/GTV as well including to the top of Mt. Evans a mere 14,265 feet (4,348 meters). Most common scooter you see in Breckenridge, CO, elevation 9,600 is a 50cc. I've seen quite a few 125-150s on the roads between Breckenridge, Dillion, Silverthorne and Frisco as well as riding over to Kremlin and Steamboat. Okay you won't want to take one of the 150cc or lower on I-70 but the Sports City has gone between Breckenridge and Denver multiple times on it. There is a gentleman in Breckenridge who regularly picnics riding two up Boreass Pass on a Vespa ET 2 50cc - torque little beast and a CVT.

FWIW, our garage's elevation outside of Breckenridge is 10,600' so anywhere our scoots go it starts from there and either goes up or down.

Not saying it wouldn't be more comfortable on a maxi or that the Burgman we used to have couldn't leave the Sports City in the dust on some of the grades but the Sports City beat many a 4 banger car. klaviator, your SC would do just fine even it wouldn't maintain 70 on some of the grades. FWIW, the 2014 scooter cannonball route goes through both the Canadian and US Rockies and the MAX displacement is 250cc. I'll be riding our Sports City in it.

Ok, yet another word slip. MY 125cc scooters would not make it. A 250 should be ok. Like I said, I have ridden all over Colorado on motorcycles, and I have had to downshift a 750cc motorcycle with 60 hp to climb some of the hills in CO. That never happened in AZ, but there are hills here that my 125cc scooters will not climb. There may very well be 125cc scooters out there that have better climbing ability, but if there is a 50cc CVT scooter out there that will climb every hill in CO, prove it to me and I'll pay you twice what it's worth for it, and then eat the damn thing. It's not the size or the power of the engine that is the limiting factor, it's the CVT gearing. My 50cc 2 speed moped WILL climb any paved hill in CO, though it might be at 5 mph. It's gearing allows the engine to spin around 8000 rpm at that speed while climbing. A Honda Trail 90 with the low range transmission would also have no problems climbing pretty much anything.

I have also done a lot of trail riding in CO, on both 650cc and small displacement dual sports. The small displacement bikes, like my XT225, are safer, easier, and more fun. My XT has enough power and low enough gearing to climb anything where there is enough traction. There are a lot of rocky trails in CO where no scooter could possibly go, I got my XT stuck on them several times. And it has over 12" of ground clearance and seriously upgraded suspension.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 12:36 PM   #12
rowdyc
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
Riding scooters in Colorado with a group of small scooters....did it and wrote a story about it.http://rowdycbluemeaniessteamboating.blogspot.com/
rowdyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 05:00 PM   #13
cdwise
Studly Adventurer

Check Scooting Among The Clouds A Vespa Adventure Above 14,000 Feet http://www.sqream.net/sqream/mtevansride06.html with 150-200cc climbing Mt. Evans. I have no idea how to prove a scooter could climb every mountain in Colorado. In fact I know there are passes I couldn't wouldn't climb on anything though I've seen a few jeeps or dirt bikes do Mesquito pass for example. I have spoken to the owner and seen a Vespa ET 2 at over 11,000' which is a CVT automatic. Then again I don't really care about proving anything.
Old 01-05-2014, 05:57 PM   #14
TrashCan
Scary Jerry

Oddometer: 3,603
I don't remember Wan's route, but he did 20,000 miles around the U.S.

He was on a 50 cc Ruck.

TrashCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 06:26 PM   #15
samthg
Sam...I am.

Oddometer: 1,293
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowdyc View Post
Riding scooters in Colorado with a group of small scooters....did it and wrote a story about it.http://rowdycbluemeaniessteamboating.blogspot.com/
Nice link rowdyc!

Can you identify those scoots, especially yours.

Been alot of years since i've been in the Co. Rockies, you've got me thinkin'....