User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-04-2014, 12:23 PM   #61
scootrboi
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 982
http://www.ebay.com/itm/261273784199...84.m1439.l2649

I bought this and just opened it. Over the years I have lost several pieces of original hardware, and the stuff from the hardware store just isn't the same. There are some interesting odd pieces in here too. From an old CH125 like mine. The muffler securing machine screws really are looking good to me.
Old 01-04-2014, 03:06 PM   #62
ramblerdrver
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBinChe View Post
Yes it has become obnoxious but not as obnoxious as JH yaking about the same thing over and over and over and over and over times infinity....but what really gets me about JH is not about his opinons on wrenching but his butting in on and going way off topic. Some ones asks a question about something then he responds by "here in Arizona blah blah blah..." No one ever ask about how it is in Arizona or do most even care but that is how he almost always responds.
Well, JerryH was the one who initiated this discussion/topic, so I'd think that'd give him the right to comment when he wants. It's unfortunate the Internet based "social network" often deteriorates into an "anti-social network".
ramblerdrver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 05:42 PM   #63
blugg1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 240
Yeah, cut Jerry some slack. He is, after all, the OP. And he is, after all, human. By that I mean many of us think we know more than we actually do, and I would put Jerry (and a whole lot of other people including myself) in that category. Sure, he rambles off topic frequently and gets out of his element, as when he claimed only low-end cars had CVT trannies.

As for me, I'm here to learn as much about motor scooters as I can. When someone strays off topic I just stop reading and scroll down to the next poster.
Old 01-05-2014, 08:38 AM   #64
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,119
One of the things many scooter riders like about their scooter vs a motorcycle is that they don't have to clean, lube & adjust a chain. This is true, but when you maintain a chain, you have to look at it making it more likely you will detect signs of wear, or a defect. Belts are often out of sight, out of mind. Most things in life involve some compromise. Belts are no exception.

klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 11:47 AM   #65
scootrboi
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 982
Quote:
Originally Posted by klaviator View Post
One of the things many scooter riders like about their scooter vs a motorcycle is that they don't have to clean, lube & adjust a chain. This is true, but when you maintain a chain, you have to look at it making it more likely you will detect signs of wear, or a defect. Belts are often out of sight, out of mind. Most things in life involve some compromise. Belts are no exception.
I made a big inspection window on the chain enclosure so I could keep track of the oil level and the condition of the sprocket. After 6 years of coping with drive chains exposed to the dirt, dust and wetness, I will never have another.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/29821169@N06/9873274406/ http://www.flickr.com/photos/29821169@N06/8324771870/
Old 01-05-2014, 12:23 PM   #66
JerryH OP
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,006
I have owned many motorcycles with chains. My XT225 dual sport has a chain. Yes, they require maintenance, but it is easy, especially since my bike has a centerstand. It is obviously a lot more maintenance than a belt. But I have never had a chain fail, in hundreds of thousands of miles. I wish scooter manufacturers would put inspection windows in the belt drive cover so you could inspect the belt. I have thought about doing it myself. But I don't know how much good it would do. I suspect my belt looked perfectly normal right up til it failed.

Overall I am happy to do maintenance, lots of it, to prevent a breakdown on the road.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 12:36 PM   #67
gogogordy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,807
Mother of invention

Quote:
Originally Posted by scootrboi View Post
I made a big inspection window on the chain enclosure so I could keep track of the oil level and the condition of the sprocket. After 6 years of coping with drive chains exposed to the dirt, dust and wetness, I will never have another.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/29821169@N06/9873274406/ http://www.flickr.com/photos/29821169@N06/8324771870/
Thats pretty damned cool!